How can Teotihuacan be saved?

1592158572584.png

Located in the Valley of Mexico and in existence from approximately 100 BCE to 750 CE, Teotihuacan was once the largest city in the Americas, with a population of perhaps 150,000 residents and an area of over 30 square km at its zenith in 450 CE. Some of the greatest monumental architecture of any pre-Columbian culture exists at this city, exemplified by the Pyramid of the Sun and Temple of the Feathered Serpent. Teotihuacan showed very conscious urban planning, with an orthagonal layout for the entire city, built around a central avenue (Avenue of the Dead) flanked by monumental buildings, with the inhabitants housed in apartment blocks. As much as perhaps 35% of the populace was involved in non-agricultural work, with obsidian artifact production forming a major basis of wealth for the city. Whether through military dominance or trade /diplomatic influence, the cultural impact of this city was evident a thousand km away in Highland Mayan territory. Population decline in the 6th century, most likely caused by prolonged drought, plus a possible internal revolt in 550 CE signaled the end of Teotihuacan's hegemony.

So what technological or cultural innovations could have saved Teotihuacan? Were there water-management techniques found in other pre-Columbian civilizations that could have alleviated the impact of drought? Would knowledge of bronze-working have significantly improved agricultural productivity? Efficient crop-levies from non-affected areas in its "empire"? Perhaps if Teotihuacan had lasted up to the time of European contact, expanding and cementing its dominance in Mesoamerica, they might have been able to weather the resultant chaos better than the Aztecs.

One interesting thing about the art of Teotihuacan is that there are few instances of individuals being glorified, unlike say for the Maya with their murals and stelae of kings. This may suggest a weak or absent tradition of kingship for the city, with rule more along the lines of an oligarchic council. The art in general seems to more oriented to the actions of individuals than the individuals themselves, with unexpressive faces and prominent insignia.

1592320710522.png

Eagle warriors with hearts on the ends of daggers
1592320957333.png

Agriculture Temple Murals, Avenue of the Dead

Well spaniards did keep dying of the elements back then, a stronger centralized nation providing certain goods and a reasonable demand (slaves). Make it to a point somewhat similar to japan. A early export of Tobacco for slaves whilst priest are allowed inside to learn the language, later more priests that bring with them Agricultural techniques. Later Merchants that bring with them sugar and sugar plantations. But somehow they manage to keep the spaniards outside. Perhaps in stead of the spaniards they meet the more merchant driven portugese or dutch

Considering the course of Mesoamerican experience, I am not sure that any state can maintain a continual hegemony in the region. If any state can, the Triple-Alliance, may be the best to do so in an event without the Spanish intrusion. From what I understand, the Aztec Triple-Alliance was the most skilled in its ability to enforce its imperial agenda upon the land. Teotihuacan seemed, if I am remembering correctly, to be much less a realm ruling vast territory or even vassals, but a series of influence zones. In contrast, the Aztec Triple-Alliance acted as an extremely aggressive and expansionist realm that drew vast regions into a collection of tributaries, vassals and submissives, that propelled further Aztec incursions in all directions.

In my opinion, considering what we have learned from the history of eurasia, only those states with consistent and coherent ideologies that included expansionist principles, a complex cosmological framework and a sort of zealousness with their state, can maintain a unified realm for 1000 years. The Aztec Triple-Alliance, from what I see, was the only state in Mesoamerica to piece all of this together coherently and enough so as to create a realm with the potential to last for a truly significant period of time.

Considering the course of Mesoamerican experience, I am not sure that any state can maintain a continual hegemony in the region. If any state can, the Triple-Alliance, may be the best to do so in an event without the Spanish intrusion. From what I understand, the Aztec Triple-Alliance was the most skilled in its ability to enforce its imperial agenda upon the land. Teotihuacan seemed, if I am remembering correctly, to be much less a realm ruling vast territory or even vassals, but a series of influence zones. In contrast, the Aztec Triple-Alliance acted as an extremely aggressive and expansionist realm that drew vast regions into a collection of tributaries, vassals and submissives, that propelled further Aztec incursions in all directions.

In my opinion, considering what we have learned from the history of eurasia, only those states with consistent and coherent ideologies that included expansionist principles, a complex cosmological framework and a sort of zealousness with their state, can maintain a unified realm for 1000 years. The Aztec Triple-Alliance, from what I see, was the only state in Mesoamerica to piece all of this together coherently and enough so as to create a realm with the potential to last for a truly significant period of time.

We have no evidence that Teotihuacan didn’t fulfil those conditions, and plenty of evidence to suggest they did. Teotihuacano cultural influence is evident all the way south to the Maya lowlands, and vice-versa; in fact, there was probably a Maya artisanal quarter in Teotihuacan itself. Precolombian Mesoamerica was a Kulturbund ever since the days of the Olmecs, with a common pantheon, cosmology, ritual, artistic base, and (depending on the period in question) lingua franca. In Teotihuacan’s prime, it almost certainly dictated the development of the common Mesoamerican worldview just as the Aztecs had in theirs. There’s certainly no “ideological” reason Teotihuacan couldn’t have persisted, because the concepts of a single ethnolinguistic hegemon and cosmopolitan state are absolutely inherent to the history of Mesoamerica.

Considering the unique geography and material situation of Mesoamerica - tracts of extremely fertile and densely-populated land separated by rough terrain, with no power source other than human muscle at hand - I don’t think you’d be able to do away with the cosmopolitanism that, in my opinion, the region inherently trends toward. Teotihuacan, or whoever else, could never have become a Roman-style settler state. So the question is, how do you keep them as “just” the regional hegemon? And unfortunately I think the answer to that is just: we have no idea. There may have been climatic factors that drove the balance of power toward one region or another in the course of time, but obviously those are beyond our power to counteract without ASBs, and the cultural centre of Mesoamerica bounces around so erratically throughout history that it’s hard to imagine what those factors may have been in the first place. So you’re stuck with one of two options: either Teotihuacan’s fate was inevitable due to debatable causes out of anyone’s control, or it was due to human error that we can never know and would have to just make up on the fly. As with everything in precolombian history, our knowledge is fundamentally limited to Maya writing (which is written in a very restricted formal style and was overwhelmingly concerned with contemporaneous Maya affairs, giving barely any glimpse of the world outside), scant archaeological evidence, and the convoluted testimony of post-Conquest Aztec sources. None of those give any really useful information as to what the upper classes, let alone the ordinary people, of Teotihuacan were doing with their time in the sun. If only the Maya had developed a literary consciousness - or if only the Spanish hadn’t destroyed what evidence there was that they did!

So, OP, I think this is more an exercise for the imagination than one for hard historical investigation. I think it’d make an extremely cool timeline, and one could do a lot of research into what little we know of Teotihuacan to pull it off, but there’s so little that we really do know that the project would be basically creative rather than analytical.

From what I understand, the Aztec Triple-Alliance was the most skilled in its ability to enforce its imperial agenda upon the land. Teotihuacan seemed, if I am remembering correctly, to be much less a realm ruling vast territory or even vassals, but a series of influence zones.
Forcing and imperial agenda upon the land, literally, is perhaps the greatest missing link toward the survival of Teotihuacan. The city was located on a high valley in the drier northern portion of the Valley of Mexico, and at 120,000 residents had probably maxed out the agricultural potential of its hinterlands. The elites of Teotihuacan needed to decide that directly controlling the fertile lands of the southern valley, either through conquest or colonization, was an imperative for the continued prosperity of the city. This would require require garrisons and bureaucrats to secure and tally the exports back to Teotihuacan. The experience of direct control over agricultural land would naturally lead to the idea of conquest of sources of high-status goods, such as cocoa and semi-precious stone.

We have no evidence that Teotihuacan didn’t fulfil those conditions, and plenty of evidence to suggest they did. Teotihuacano cultural influence is evident all the way south to the Maya lowlands, and vice-versa; in fact, there was probably a Maya artisanal quarter in Teotihuacan itself. Precolombian Mesoamerica was a Kulturbund ever since the days of the Olmecs, with a common pantheon, cosmology, ritual, artistic base, and (depending on the period in question) lingua franca. In Teotihuacan’s prime, it almost certainly dictated the development of the common Mesoamerican worldview just as the Aztecs had in theirs. There’s certainly no “ideological” reason Teotihuacan couldn’t have persisted, because the concepts of a single ethnolinguistic hegemon and cosmopolitan state are absolutely inherent to the history of Mesoamerica.

Considering the unique geography and material situation of Mesoamerica - tracts of extremely fertile and densely-populated land separated by rough terrain, with no power source other than human muscle at hand - I don’t think you’d be able to do away with the cosmopolitanism that, in my opinion, the region inherently trends toward. Teotihuacan, or whoever else, could never have become a Roman-style settler state. So the question is, how do you keep them as “just” the regional hegemon? And unfortunately I think the answer to that is just: we have no idea. There may have been climatic factors that drove the balance of power toward one region or another in the course of time, but obviously those are beyond our power to counteract without ASBs, and the cultural centre of Mesoamerica bounces around so erratically throughout history that it’s hard to imagine what those factors may have been in the first place. So you’re stuck with one of two options: either Teotihuacan’s fate was inevitable due to debatable causes out of anyone’s control, or it was due to human error that we can never know and would have to just make up on the fly. As with everything in precolombian history, our knowledge is fundamentally limited to Maya writing (which is written in a very restricted formal style and was overwhelmingly concerned with contemporaneous Maya affairs, giving barely any glimpse of the world outside), scant archaeological evidence, and the convoluted testimony of post-Conquest Aztec sources. None of those give any really useful information as to what the upper classes, let alone the ordinary people, of Teotihuacan were doing with their time in the sun. If only the Maya had developed a literary consciousness - or if only the Spanish hadn’t destroyed what evidence there was that they did!

So, OP, I think this is more an exercise for the imagination than one for hard historical investigation. I think it’d make an extremely cool timeline, and one could do a lot of research into what little we know of Teotihuacan to pull it off, but there’s so little that we really do know that the project would be basically creative rather than analytical.

In my opinion, the Teotihuacan state seems to have been, if I may use an imperfect model, a state similar to some of the earlier Mesopotamian hegemonies. Famed for cultural prestige, renowned in literature, massive urban population, rich in theological significance and set the stage for later events. This means, that it was for Mesoamerica what say the Neo-Sumerian state was or the earlier hegemony of Akkad or Uruk was. These realms were less durable in terms of maintaining their hegemony across the region and beyond. Later, with much of the cultural and historical development having already occurred, the Assyrian state emerged in a hardened and radical form in the Late Bronze Age. It exemplified all that the Akkad state had stood for, but formalized all of these notions into a more radical and expansionist dogma that sought an even more overt conquest and with governing reforms and religious reforms to accommodate this. The Aztec Triple-Alliance, I view as an imperfect mirror of this, taking from the cultural developments of its predecessors, hardened what preceded them into a hyper-expansionist, ritual-sacrifice based regime. We know for instance, that the Aztec Triple-Alliance changed its myths and built new ones, formalized others and asserted very particular points of myth/cosmology so as to explain and promote its imperial mission-goal.

For the reason that the Aztec Triple-Alliance recreated its own myths into what it did and rebuked earlier views of cosmology, entails for me, that others prior most likely did not have these same sorts of myths, that promoted the world-conquest cosmology of the Aztec state.

The Aztecs were also extremely unpopular amongst their subject peoples, which is a large part of the reason why Cortez was able to defeat them in the first place.

Well spaniards did keep dying of the elements back then, a stronger centralized nation providing certain goods and a reasonable demand (slaves). Make it to a point somewhat similar to japan. A early export of Tobacco for slaves whilst priest are allowed inside to learn the language, later more priests that bring with them Agricultural techniques. Later Merchants that bring with them sugar and sugar plantations. But somehow they manage to keep the spaniards outside. Perhaps in stead of the spaniards they meet the more merchant driven portugese or dutch
..?

Teotihuacan fell in the 500s. I'm not really seeing how the Spanish destroyed it.

Anyhoo, maybe I'm wrong, but do we actually know why Teotihuacan fell in the first place? There's been speculation, but we just don't really know much about it.

The Aztecs were also extremely unpopular amongst their subject peoples, which is a large part of the reason why Cortez was able to defeat them in the first place.

Popularity often does not matter. The Assyrian kingdom was the most unpopular regime in the Bronze Age and Early Iron Age and yet it was by far the most enduring and successful of the states in competition. Hatti was popular and beloved, yet it lacked a coherent and consistent imperial complex goal. Assyria possessed this and was able to maintain a state of enmity and opposition towards its foes on the exterior. Distinction is important.

The Aztec Triple-Alliance proved time and again that it was the most fearsome state in the region. The Tarascan were no match for the Triple-Alliance, even with its migrant/refugee influx allies and levies. The states of the other Nahuatl such as Tlaxcala were likewise no match. None of the Zapotec, Mixtec or Maya could have bested the Triple-Alliance in 1519 either. Even at the battle of Otumba, the Triple-Alliance was able in a short moment gather a truly massive army of some 80,000 warriors. When the Spanish gathered the forces of the rebel states against the Triple-Alliance, the total force amounted to around 45,000. This army of rebels would have stood no chance without the Spanish and their prior crushing victory at Otumba. There is a reason why they submissively agreed to the state of affairs prior to Spanish intrusion, it was clear the the Triple-Alliance was one of the most fearsome states in their entire historical memory, whose power exceeded the prior recent hegemonies, precisely due to the radicalism of its goals, aspirations and its consistent focuses.

Teotihuacan fell in the 500s. I'm not really seeing how the Spanish destroyed it.

Anyhoo, maybe I'm wrong, but do we actually know why Teotihuacan fell in the first place? There's been speculation, but we just don't really know much about it.
As far as I know, the internal revolt of ca. 550 CE seems to have been critical to the decline of Teotihuacan. Monuments were toppled, jade ornaments collected and smashed, and most tellingly, images of the rain god (possibly Tlaloc of later Aztec mythology) were defaced on murals throughout the city. Since the rain god appears to have functioned as of one of the emblems of the Teotihuacan state, it seems there was a radical loss of legitimacy of the elites. Since 500 CE mortality was on the rise within the city, including not just infants but also adults the 20-50 year old range, which could have been the unmet challenge leading to the loss of legitimacy.

This means, that it was for Mesoamerica what say the Neo-Sumerian state was or the earlier hegemony of Akkad or Uruk was. These realms were less durable in terms of maintaining their hegemony across the region and beyond. Later, with much of the cultural and historical development having already occurred, the Assyrian state emerged in a hardened and radical form in the Late Bronze Age.

No, you really can't analogise Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica like this. I understand and sympathise with your desire to do so, but this is entirely different turf we're fighting on. Material and cultural relations between Mesoamerican states were never "imperial" in the way you're imagining, including under the Aztecs - in fact, the suggestion that the Aztecs were any more of an imperial state on Assyrian or Roman lines than Teotihuacan was is startling to me, considering how much more we know about the Aztecs!

Due primarily to the geographical aspects I discussed, Mesoamerican society was not a pyramid but a lattice - think Ancient Greece, but on a much grander scale in terms of population and cultures - and relations between states were just that, relations. When Mesoamerican states aspired to hegemony, they aspired to dictate processes of tribute and trade that were already ongoing of their own accord. Put it another way: the state owed its existence to commerce, not the other way around. All the maps of the Aztec "Empire" that show precise, if irregular and counterintuitive, borders are fictions of the modern era, which is why they're so inconsistent. What they actually show is not even a single spectrum, but multiple spectra, of commercial relations to Tenochtitlan - ranging from the fiercely-opposed and constantly beset Tlaxcala, to minor Mexica colonies in the south, to Mixtec statelets whose interactions with the Aztecs fluctuated from trade to tribute to neglect - and every relation was exponentially complicated by unique conditions of language, military strength, agricultural productivity, and many other factors. The notion of "rule" on Old World lines simply did not exist, and the idea that the Aztecs had some kind of mystical conquering spirit that led them to impose one fails on premise. I'd even venture to say that you assume that premise simply because the Aztecs were the last indigenous hegemon of Mesoamerica. No doubt they were the most impressive, too - but they emphatically did not represent a revolutionary paradigm shift in Mesoamerican history. It's odd that you point to mass human sacrifice as a part of the Aztecs' alleged "expansionist" ideology; I'd argue the exact opposite, that it was a logical conclusion of the very lattice system I'm talking about, where the very bodies of subjugated tributaries were brought to Tenochtitlan and disposed of. Mass human sacrifice was a representation of Tenochtitlan's domination, and it doesn't make any sense if you view the Aztecs' program as one of integration.

On the other hand, the way you describe Teotihuacan is actually (Mesopotamian analogy and linear historiography aside) pretty close to the description of any Mesoamerican hegemony. It was the cultural and probably material focal point of Mexico in its heyday, just as Tenochtitlan was in its own. So OP's question isn't to be imagined as "how do we make Teotihuacan more like the Aztecs" (they already were) or "how do we make Teotihuacan a conqueror-state" (not possible in precolombian Mesoamerica IMO) but rather "how do we keep Teotihuacan at the top of the basic Mesoamerican hegemonic pattern?" That question, as I've argued already, basically demands an act of imagination; but we shouldn't confuse it for much broader and less regionally-sensitive questions, which are either misinformed or improbable.

Last edited:
No, you really can't analogise Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica like this. I understand and sympathise with your desire to do so, but this is entirely different turf we're fighting on. Material and cultural relations between Mesoamerican states were never "imperial" in the way you're imagining, including under the Aztecs - in fact, the suggestion that the Aztecs were any more of an imperial state on Assyrian or Roman lines than Teotihuacan was is startling to me, considering how much more we know about the Aztecs!

Due primarily to the geographical aspects I discussed, Mesoamerican society was not a pyramid but a lattice - think Ancient Greece, but on a much grander scale in terms of population and cultures - and relations between states were just that, relations. When Mesoamerican states aspired to hegemony, they aspired to dictate processes of tribute and trade that were already ongoing of their own accord. Put it another way: the state owed its existence to commerce, not the other way around. All the maps of the Aztec "Empire" that show precise, if irregular and counterintuitive, borders are fictions of the modern era, which is why they're so inconsistent. What they actually show is not even a single spectrum, but multiple spectra, of commercial relations to Tenochtitlan - ranging from the fiercely-opposed and constantly beset Tlaxcala, to minor Mexica colonies in the south, to Mixtec statelets whose interactions with the Aztecs fluctuated from trade to tribute to neglect - and every relation was exponentially complicated by unique conditions of language, military strength, agricultural productivity, and many other factors. The notion of "rule" on Old World lines simply did not exist, and the idea that the Aztecs had some kind of mystical conquering spirit that led them to impose one fails on premise. I'd even venture to say that you assume that premise simply because the Aztecs were the last indigenous hegemon of Mesoamerica. No doubt they were the most impressive, too - but they emphatically did not represent a revolutionary paradigm shift in Mesoamerican history. It's odd that you point to mass human sacrifice as a part of the Aztecs' alleged "expansionist" ideology; I'd argue the exact opposite, that it was a logical conclusion of the very lattice system I'm talking about, where the very bodies of subjugated tributaries were brought to Tenochtitlan and disposed of. Mass human sacrifice was a representation of Tenochtitlan's domination, and it doesn't make any sense if you view the Aztecs' program as one of integration.

On the other hand, the way you describe Teotihuacan is actually (Mesopotamian analogy and linear historiography aside) pretty close to the description of any Mesoamerican hegemony. It was the cultural and probably material focal point of Mexico in its heyday, just as Tenochtitlan was in its own. So OP's question isn't to be imagined as "how do we make Teotihuacan more like the Aztecs" (they already were) or "how do we make Teotihuacan a conqueror-state" (not possible in precolombian Mesoamerica IMO) but rather "how do we keep Teotihuacan at the top of the basic Mesoamerican hegemonic pattern?" That question, as I've argued already, basically demands an act of imagination; but we shouldn't confuse it for much broader and less regionally-sensitive questions, which are either misinformed or improbable.

You are interpreting too much into my words.

When I say empire, I use it in the term that the famed historian Mario Liverani used it. That has little to do with territorial expanses or controlling distinct lands, but to do with a metaphorical claim to universal hegemony of some sort. Liverani for instance, described the traditional Roman Empire post-republic as not an empire (or at lest less so than universal asserting realms such as Akkadian states, the Umayyad-Abbasid Caliphates, the Mongol Empire, the Aztec Triple-Alliance, the Papacy [1000-1414 CE], etc...) in the term of his meaning, yet certain Sumerian city states such as Uruk were entities that claimed a vast universal hegemony over the entire world, specifically by proclaiming itself as the sole-human state on the planet and so forth or other religious conceptions. Likewise, I can use it in the sense that all peoples generally, at least of certain major states, there exists a certain imperial mission, that is the reasoning for which said state exists. No regime or state argues that it exists for no reason; there is always a vast and complex patchwork of reasoning that make up an imperial mission.

Thus, the term I use, has nothing to do with the way in which you interpreted my terming. Though, for your benefit, I did not mention or specify exactly. So it is of no issue.

It is also somewhat offensive that you assume so greatly of my views... Likewise implying that I am using a sort of old-world standard. When in reality, I am attempting to add a somewhat similar occurrence in a world alien to ours to another world alien to ours. The Assyrian hegemonic presence in the Mid East, is similarly alien to my perspective or to yours. Likewise, the manner in which the Assyrian state operated especially pre-Tigalth-Pileser III is not that much different to the way in which the Triple-Alliance operated, it is not nearly as clear-cut a delineation as you presume. I am not the first persona to make these comparisons, noted experts in both fields have drawn the comparison between the two entities in their zealous hegemonic impetus that derived ultimately from a religious directive. As many have described, the Triple-Alliance existed for the sake, according to its own myths, to appease Huītzilōpōchtli and other gods of their pantheon. This included the formation of an extremely militant martial system intended upon the acquisition of subjects (as in submissive tributaries) of all peoples within its reach and the pulling from them; resources to be offered to the gods and for the enrichment of the interior. In the case of Assyria, the goal was to 'complete Duranki;' that being, the world was given to the people of the Land of Piety (Sumero-Akkadian cultural zones) and that the Great Gods directed them to complete the act of universal conquest. In practical terms, Akkadian states, especially Assyria, operated under a motive of acquiring submissives and draining these submissives of resources and sending these back to the interior.

Thus, in the case of Assyria, I turn the same accusation toward you, that you have misunderstood Assyria and wrongfully assumed that it was not a state at least similar to the Triple Alliance. Especially in terms of its goals and reasoning for existing. There was no civilization mission, as the Romans possessed or that Imperial China imagined, but one of originally extermination of others who did not submit and then the establishment of a series of submissive tributaries who all submitted to and whose resources were extracted and pulled into Mesopotamia. If you deny that the Mexia Triple-Alliance acted this way or similarly, then I would be curious as to why you would say it is not so. To return to Assyria briefly, Samuel Noah Kramer described the Assyrian state as existing with its Akkadian like-states, as attempting to assert their region as the light atop the hill of a wasteland of the Universe, which the universe around them, existed only to serve and maintain with its lives, the Land of Piety (Assyria and Karduniash [Babylonia])

Thus, my point; I am of the opinion, that the Aztec, not due to any linear reasoning or development (as I do not believe that this is the case for Assyria either, there were periods of centuries wherein Assyrian kings became 'secular' and feigned as Divine Kings and hence lost the older impetus of Completion of Duranki,, likewise, the times wherein Akkadian realms saw to the extermination of those around them was stronger in the past), but that the Triple-Alliance reformers such as king Itzcōhuātl ,asserted a cosmological reasoning for domination of the entirety of the known world. Which, was unique, specific and self-contained within the milieu of the Aztec experience. It was this affirmation of a certain hegemonic goal and the assertion of a cosmology, that made Assyria ultimately the most consistent realm in the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age, despite often having the smallest territory and the poorest selection of resources/population.

This, I argue, the Triple-Alliance possessed. It contained a clear and concise mission for its state and its hegemonic presence. It did not sustain itself only with creating blocs of influence and of asserting economic hegemony, but it furthered its power through inundating the region in an aura of terror (utilizing an Assyrian concept, whereby the notion is that Assyria continually frightens and brandishes punishments and acts of violence upon its vassals so as to constantly assert itself as the 'strong') via military action. That was constant and in-line with the reforms of early kings and affirmations of the demands of the gods, whose demand was that the people never were to become complacent. From what I understand, experts in the field of Mesoamerican history, are in agreement that the zeal of the Triple-Alliance exceeds those prior in the region.

As a historical materialist, I can only say that you and I have fundamentally different approaches to historiography, and so I won't challenge you on this for fear of dragging this thread too far away from its original purpose. I can only say that from my own extended research into Mesoamerican history, the Aztec phenomenon is generally accepted as a natural extension of a pan-Mesoamerican societal pattern, with a material basis, and "zeal" is not commonly invoked in modern analyses to explain their relatively brief period of dominance. I will of course defer to you on Mesopotamia, and I'm sorry to have given offence in any way.

In any case, per my original point, nothing you've said here excludes the potential for Teotihuacan to extend their hegemony over a greater area and further into the future. Much like the Aztecs, albeit on a lesser (but comparable given the time depth involved) scale, Teotihuacan conducted ritual sacrifice of foreign prisoners, which is a pretty solid indicator of a regional hegemon; there's certainly no ideological component lacking there. That alternate history would be, as I've said, primarily a creative writing exercise given the paucity of sources, and either of our views of history would serve equally well if the writing is creative enough.

Last edited:
Popularity often does not matter. The Assyrian kingdom was the most unpopular regime in the Bronze Age and Early Iron Age and yet it was by far the most enduring and successful of the states in competition. Hatti was popular and beloved, yet it lacked a coherent and consistent imperial complex goal. Assyria possessed this and was able to maintain a state of enmity and opposition towards its foes on the exterior. Distinction is important.

Debatable. The Neo-Assyrian Empire lasted for 302 years, which by ancient Near Eastern standards is respectable but not exactly stellar (by way of comparison, the Akkadian Empire lasted for around 180 years, the Neo-Sumerian for 108, the Old Babylonian for 299, the Hittite for 422, the Achaemenid for 240, the Seleucid for 249, the Arsacid for 471, and the Sassanid for 427). In terms of size, the Achaemenid, Seleucid, Parthian, and Sassanid Empires all controlled more land.

As far as I know, the internal revolt of ca. 550 CE seems to have been critical to the decline of Teotihuacan. Monuments were toppled, jade ornaments collected and smashed, and most tellingly, images of the rain god (possibly Tlaloc of later Aztec mythology) were defaced on murals throughout the city. Since the rain god appears to have functioned as of one of the emblems of the Teotihuacan state, it seems there was a radical loss of legitimacy of the elites. Since 500 CE mortality was on the rise within the city, including not just infants but also adults the 20-50 year old range, which could have been the unmet challenge leading to the loss of legitimacy.

This is the Crux of it. There was RW climate change and probably some outside threats that brought all of this together. The bullet was internal revolt.

Could the climate change be solved no. Could external threats be felt with? Probably, if the upper class has the support. Can they get it?

That is hard to gauge in a preliterate society and it's a lot like asking how the world would be different now if Gore were elected back in 2000.

Basically we're asking if the elite can reform in time. RW, they probably didn't have the knowledge to see it coming and if they did, entrenched attitudes/interests probably got in the way.

So my answer, is probably no. But if you decapitated the elite early enough on the downhill slide, you could might be able to make a plausible argument.