Hearts of Iron 2

So, I got this in a nice little strategy pack when I got my new iMac (ah, paradox, a company that doesn't really care that I don't have the best graphics card in world) with pretty much all the major paradox releases for Mac so far (EU2, CK, Vicky and Vicky Rev, HOI2 and DD). I've been playing HOI2DD quite a bit, and enjoying it much more than the original Hearts of Iron. Much less tedious to play.

Of course, Paradox games have a habit (on all computers) of crashing once you reach an interesting point in your game. I don't grudge them for it, they're complicated systems. Although I was having loads of fun with my game as Nationalist China.

I'd managed to hold off the Japanese for the most part, losing only small amounts of ground in northern China. Most of that was the territory of the various warlords up there, so I let Japan do the dirty work of annexing them for me, save for Sinkiang, Yunnan, and the Guangxi Clique (cool name). After building divisions of garrison troops to secure my coastline and free up the legit infantry from that boring role, I was able to push the Japanese back up the coast.

Right around the time I was getting my momentum, it was late 1941, so the US got attacked, and I offered them an alliance immediately. Netted me access to a few techs, and kept them out of declaring war on Germany for the time being (I wanna see the AI pull off Barbarossa just once). Plus, they based quite a few bombers in my area and helped pound on the Japs a bit.

I had quite a bit of fun when I took Beijing and then hooked up with the Mongolian border. That left I don't know how many divisions of Japanese soldiers cut off in the deserts and mountains of north central china. Loads of fun moping them up while I annexed Manchuko and pushed into Korea. Got the peace event where Japan surrenders all of China to me, and Korea becomes my puppet (with their amazing tech teams).

Except the territories immediately east of Sinkiang remained Japanese. Annoying, but not much more annoying than having to deal with the fact that I couldn't take over the remaining warlord states for the life of me. I'd already made my way over to Market Liberal on the government sliders, soI couldn't really declare war on them, and none of them ever even considered giving me their territory diplomatically (Japan, meanwhile, had a 1 percent chance of giving me back that useless territory they nominally held out in the middle of nowhere, if I asked).

So, resigning myself to this nuisance, I started building up my nation, while mooching as many techs off everyone else. Oh, and shipping ungodly amounts of oil to the Nazis. They were just starting to get pushed back by the Soviets, but held Leningard and Moscow at their apex. Never quite got to Stalingrad, though. I don't know how much I could have helped them, because the next thing I knew, I was at war with them (crazy US with their idea that us democratic nations should be fighting the fascists).

Oh well, not the worst situation. Except that I'm effectively part of the Allies, without any of the benefits (since I had my own alliance with the US and my warlords). Rather than scrap the alliance, which would just piss off everyone in it, I decide to cheat a little and go into the game files and create an event to join the allies. Oh, and inherit the warlords, while I'm at it.

So, I go restart the game, and it refuses to load the scenario. Don't even get to try out my new scheme. I think the game probably didn't like the fact that I was in an alliance with the US and had a non aggression pact with the Japanese, while the US were still at war with them. But who knows? It could be any number of things the game didn't like about the save file.

So, that ended my first game as the Nationalist Chinese. I probably would have stayed out the actual fighting, using my industrial base to just upgrade the infrastructure of as much of China as possible, while gearing up for an evenual war with the Soviets, so I could annex Mongolia. I probably would have puppeted Tibet somehow, as I'd feel bad about annexing them. Then again, I am an enlightened democracy, so they'd probably do better under my China than OTL's.

Any suggestions on who to play as next? I'm tempted to give Germany a try, and slip them towards democracy while I get ready to purge the world of that accursed Cyrillic alphabet. To bad there's no legit events to leave on alliance and join another. Good guy Germany (well, I'd probably still take over Austria and Czechia) as part of the allies would be fun. I suppose I could edit the Hitler assassination event to force Germany out of the Axis...

I'd make sure to DL all the patches for those games. Also, check out the CORE mod for HOI - you can get it on the Paradox forum - it makes things a bit more realistic, particularly as far as industrial stuff and naval combat. Especially as it gives you individual destroyers instead of flotillas.

There's also a pretty nice WW1 mod being developed called 1914, with an option to start in 1897. It's still being worked out, but it looks nice so far. Again, check the forum.

I'd make sure to DL all the patches for those games. Also, check out the CORE mod for HOI - you can get it on the Paradox forum - it makes things a bit more realistic, particularly as far as industrial stuff and naval combat. Especially as it gives you individual destroyers instead of flotillas.

There's also a pretty nice WW1 mod being developed called 1914, with an option to start in 1897. It's still being worked out, but it looks nice so far. Again, check the forum.

Oh, believe me, I've looked at that stuff. Annoyingly, though, none of the mods seem to actually describe the actual changes on their websites. Aggravating, I tell you.

No you get Victoria revolutions and play the WWI game, then through the 1920s-30's, then convert the file to HOI2. Awsome....

You need to go find the great depression events though so yuo can have commies, and nazi's.

No you get Victoria revolutions and play the WWI game, then through the 1920s-30's, then convert the file to HOI2. Awsome....

You need to go find the great depression events though so yuo can have commies, and nazi's.

I've yet to really get into Vicky. I tried for a few minutes, and I didn't really like it so far (granted, I hadn't given it much of a chance). Too much Micromanagement.

And I'd like to say how aggravating it is to read the forums for the game and the mods. The whole issue with actually discussing the uglier parts of the war. I understand the whole reasoning behind it, but referring to the holocaust as *ahem* is just...

And I'd like to say how aggravating it is to read the forums for the game and the mods. The whole issue with actually discussing the uglier parts of the war. I understand the whole reasoning behind it, but referring to the holocaust as *ahem* is just...

Yeah, I can understand that, but the instant clampdown on any talk of bombing civilian populations seems a bit much. It had an impact on military events, and at least they could have some affect on morale from strategic bombing.

I think there is some mod with things like that included (though not the *ahem*) and also with Swastikas etc. Not sure which one it is. CORE is my favourite because the naval side of the game is most important for me.

Superdude

Banned
I've yet to really get into Vicky. I tried for a few minutes, and I didn't really like it so far (granted, I hadn't given it much of a chance). Too much Micromanagement.

Really? I find I micromanage less in Vicky than I do in HOI2.

The other thing is, their website and games will get blacklisted in Germany if they do allow that stuff.

Really? I find I micromanage less in Vicky than I do in HOI2.

The other thing is, their website and games will get blacklisted in Germany if they do allow that stuff.

Well, I played HOI1, so HOI2 comes more naturally to me, so the micromanagement is intuitive. I play HOI2 and all I think about is how much easier it is than HOI1 was to manage.

I don't really have any experience with Vicky, so...

Superdude

Banned
I think Sweden too. Maybe Italy?

I don't think so in Italy, since there seems to be a lot of people who actually like Mussolini there.

I downloaded the VIP .1 for Victoria: Revolutions, and it is really fun playing as a colonial power and subsequently devouring all the opium producing provinces and gaining a monopoly on the drug trade.

I think Sweden too. Maybe Italy?

No, I think its just Germany. At least, they're the only ones that get mentioned on the subject. But I'm not talking about portraying the Swastika, but discussions of any of those topics. Germany doesn't have any laws against *discussing* the holocaust, just against denying it.

Superdude

Banned
Well, the discussion is about adding the Holocaust to the game, in general, and even talking about that is bad.

Well, the discussion is about adding the Holocaust to the game, in general, and even talking about that is bad.

I think I want to go to Germany and be a Holocaust blamer. You know, constantly give them shit over it, and try to goad them into denying it. Just to be annoying (and I hate laws that curtail freedom of speech, being a good, God fearing American (tm) ).

Well, I played HOI1, so HOI2 comes more naturally to me, so the micromanagement is intuitive. I play HOI2 and all I think about is how much easier it is than HOI1 was to manage.

I don't really have any experience with Vicky, so...

Gotta read the tutorials, and the manual. I played for almost three months before I figured out that I have to change population jobs. Once you get that down the game is a breeze.

Gotta read the tutorials, and the manual. I played for almost three months before I figured out that I have to change population jobs. Once you get that down the game is a breeze.

Well, see the problem with that is that some annoying tech guy decided it was a great idea to just do digital manuals. Which really sucks for games that are run full windowed. Sure, just what I want to do, load, find something I don't get, quit, read, load, play, quit, read, load, etc. etc.

And tutorials are even more annoying. Its almost always designed for people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing, no people who just know too little to have fun.

And someone please, link me to a page or pages that just lists the changes from vanilla game to the various mods? These people just can't make it easy for someone to find out whats different. I have to go into the forums and read through 30 pages of discussion on tech trees just to see whats changed there.

Is it really that hard to just have this information readily available? My biggest gripe is with CORE, which has a link to a CORE Manual... which doesn't exist. :mad: