Have Buck Rogers In The 25th Century be as successful as Star Trek

BuckRogersDVD.jpg

Have 'Buck Rogers In The 25th Century' be as a successful television series as 'Star Trek'. This means it must have a run of at least 6/7 seasons.

Bonus points if you can get various spin off's as well in the same way you have 'DS-9', 'Voyager' and 'Enterprize'

Much obliged!

Seven seasons? No way, they'd run out of story ideas before too long. Three, maybe four, seasons would be a lot more realistic. BUT, since the challenge is seven, maybe start by keeping the original tone for at least three seasons, then two aboard the Searcher, then two more back on Earth.

View attachment 634671

Have 'Buck Rogers In The 25th Century' be as a successful television series as 'Star Trek'. This means it must have a run of at least 6/7 seasons.

Bonus points if you can get various spin off's as well in the same way you have 'DS-9', 'Voyager' and 'Enterprize'

Much obliged!

The original Star Trek only had a run of three seasons. Is there something I'm not understanding here?

Last edited:
As for BRIT25C, I will acknowledge that @farmerted555 probably has a better knowledge of the show than I do(saw the premiere at the crappy local theatre when the producers were trying to pass it off as a real movie, watched the show a few times). With that caveat...

Two seasons seems about right to me for a late-70s TV space-opera aimed at easily-distracted pre-teens, and coasting on the popularity of Star Wars(Battlestar Galactica, despite its now iconic status, only lasted one season, by way of example).

And when you're having to rely on gimmicks like Gary Coleman playing The Two Million Year Old Man, well...

Garrison

Donor
As for BRIT25C, I will acknowledge that @farmerted555 probably has a better knowledge of the show than I do(saw the premiere at the crappy local theatre when the producers were trying to pass it off as a real movie, watched the show a few times). With that caveat...

Two seasons seems about right to me for a late-70s TV space-opera aimed at easily-distracted pre-teens, and coasting on the popularity of Star Wars(Battlestar Galactica, despite its now iconic status, only lasted one season, by way of example).

And when you're having to rely on gimmicks like Gary Coleman playing The Two Million Year Old Man, well...
Youtube recommended some old 70's sci-fi and fantasy series to me recently and I did a little digging on Google as to backgrounds and relationships to other shows. The simple fact is that getting two seasons in the 70's constituted a runaway success on US Television. Most genre shows lasted 10 to 13 episodes before being cancelled. That being said I could see a reboot in the 90's doing a lot better.

That being said I could see a reboot in the 90's doing a lot better.

Yeah, there was a relatively respectable remake of the slasher flick My Bloody Valentine a few years back. When the original movie was released in the early 80s, it got dismissed as a low-budget shitfest that only got produced because the Canadian government was giving tax-breaks to help employ starving actors. Thirty years later, some post-ironic hipsters thought it merited a revival. So there ya go.

S3 = another starship focused season, but like good ST:TNG
S4 = called back to earth, think alien infestation invasion season like Day of the Triffids and/or David Gerrold's abandoned Chtor series
S5 = Time travel season initiated to stop the "who" behind the S4 invasion/infestation.
S6 = Stargate SG-1 like season pickups at S5 cliffhanger when the "who" has been discovered to come from a long distance wormhole gate system
S7 = A sliders like a season of parallel earth travel as Buck solves problems and tries to get back to his earth after he destroyed the S6 gate systems utilized by the S5 "who" that threaten the earth. Series finale he makes it. Closing shot: Buck walking off into the sunset holding Wilma's hand...and with his other hand holding that robot's hand.

Last edited:
For Buck Rogers to be successful they have to do the following:

Be true to the source material (US rebels vs Han global empire)
Dieselpunk as mad (look at Maschinen Krieger)
Be made before 2030