Votes: 35 13.7%
  • United Provinces of America

Votes: 144 56.5%
  • Patagonia

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • European Affairs

Votes: 54 21.2%

• Total voters
I wonder how the both sides avoided confusion during the civil war.

Did either side abandon the red uniform?
What were the flags used during the war by both sides (even at present the flags of United Provinces and United Commonwealth are rather similar thought clearly distinct)?

On the UP coat of arms, I would have expected an American element. Perhaps in the lower right, where the second trio of English lions reside currently. As well as on the flag.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in hearing more about Anglo-American relations. On the one hand, things seem to be amicable enough given the existence of the Community of British Nations, which would lead me to imagine some sort of special relationship like OTL. On the other hand, the United Provinces still claims to be the rightful sovereign of the United Commonwealth, or at least would very much like to impose their monarch on the British, which I’m sure has to sour relations at least somewhat.

I'll be doing a bigger box on this a little later. But in simple terms? it's really all over the place.

Tensions are running high at the moment, as hinted at by the Baker quote. And while relations are generally fairly good, every few years an American Prime Minister decides it's time to "Reopen the Question" and matters are not helped by a long-standing tendency of American politicians to go on a pilgrimage to Britain and make speeches on the subject in public.

I wonder how the both sides avoided confusion during the civil war.

Did either side abandon the red uniform?
What were the flags used during the war by both sides (even at present the flags of United Provinces and United Commonwealth are rather similar thought clearly distinct)?

Oh, it was a nightmare, both sides insisted on using the red uniform in the Home Islands. Though Washington, who rose through the Ranks in the American theatre ditched them after more than a few screw-ups.

I'll have some more on wartime flags later. But at first, the Loyalists used the Royal Standard, and then the Union Flag.

Napoleon and his heirs supporting the Jacobites in this scenario to just further the chaos seems so.....so perfect.

And I think we'll be adding that for sure!

Either that or he asks to marry an american princess just to have the british screech even louder

Now that would be hilarious. For George's part, he views Napoleon as another Edmund Burke, a man who betrayed his King and then took for himself all the power in the world. So he'd outright reject that offer. Though he would be sorely tempted by it, French assistance might well help him reclaim the home island. But in the end, the price would be too high.

On the UP coat of arms, I would have expected an American element. Perhaps in the lower right, where the second trio of English lions reside currently. As well as on the flag.

I might well change it, I have a few ideas for it. So watch this space!

Last edited:
And I think we'll be adding that for sure!
This could serve as a good reference for that element in particular, specifically:
Despite their general anti-clericalism and hostility to the Bourbon monarchy, the French Directory suggested to the United Irishmen in 1798 restoring the Jacobite Pretender, Henry Benedict Stuart, as Henry IX, King of the Irish. This was on account of General Jean Joseph Amable Humbert landing a force in County Mayo for the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and realising the local population were devoutly Catholic (a significant number of Irish priests supported the Rising and had met with Humbert, although Humbert's Army had been veterans of the anti-clerical campaign in Italy). The French Directory hoped this option would allow the creation of a stable French client state in Ireland, however, Wolfe Tone, the Protestant republican leader, scoffed at the suggestion and it was quashed.

Also, two minor things:
  • The Community of British Nations post describes the United Commonwealth as a "federak parliamentary republic" instead of "federal."
  • Could we get a post here linking to all the pre-thread lore posts?

This could serve as a good reference for that element in particular, specifically:

That's an excellent idea! I'll take a look and see if I can get something that works

• The Community of British Nations post describes the United Commonwealth as a "federak parliamentary republic" instead of "federal."
  • Could we get a post here linking to all the pre-thread lore posts?

Thank you! Just fixed it

And for the most part, all of that will show up here once I fix it! Few ret cons have happened since

There could be other exiled monarchies in the Americas, with the Braganzas going to Brazil and the Spanish Bourbons heading to Mexico.

This started out life, a long time ago, as an Exiled House of Orange in the Cape of Good Hope, The Braganzas in Brazil as well as Geroge in Exile. So I might well include a few of those.

I do like the idea of New World Monarchies!

This started out life, a long time ago, as an Exiled House of Orange in the Cape of Good Hope, The Braganzas in Brazil as well as Geroge in Exile. So I might well include a few of those.
The Houses of Orange-Nassau and Braganza exile can happen during the Napoleonic Wars, with the two later forming an alliance with the United Provinces.
I do like the idea of New World Monarchies!
Thanks!

If the Frankfurt proposals occur though, wouldn’t that imply Napoleon had already been pushed out of Portugal and the Netherlands, making it safe for those houses to return?

Something I do think could be interesting is keeping Portugal and Brazil together, but having the center of the empire shift to Brazil, with the monarchs staying in Rio de Janeiro. They stayed for a while even after reclaiming Portugal IOTL, but popular discontent forced them to return to Europe. Tying it back to the Hanover discussion, this could also lead to a scenario where an American nation has a European territory.

I mentioned this earlier, I think, but yes and no. Parliament is moving an act through to keep the house as Hanover, and few people are really opposed to that. After all "Why should our Queen take her husband's name?" would be a view found across the ideological spectrum
Who is the spouse of Queen Victoria and what's their ancestral background?

The Houses of Orange-Nassau and Braganza exile can happen during the Napoleonic Wars, with the two later forming an alliance with the United Provinces.
If the Frankfurt proposals occur though, wouldn’t that imply Napoleon had already been pushed out of Portugal and the Netherlands, making it safe for those houses to return?

Something I do think could be interesting is keeping Portugal and Brazil together, but having the center of the empire shift to Brazil, with the monarchs staying in Rio de Janeiro. They stayed for a while even after reclaiming Portugal IOTL, but popular discontent forced them to return to Europe. Tying it back to the Hanover discussion, this could also lead to a scenario where an American nation has a European territory.

All good points! And you're absolutely right, I did cut the House of Orange-Nassau in exile idea from this for that reason.

As for the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves. I have been mulling that over for a while now, I do recall reading that John VI did everything he could to stay, but things just didn't work out. Maybe we can change that?

Who is the spouse of Queen Victoria and what's their ancestral background?

Depends

Part of me wants him to be a member of the American nobility

Part of me wants him to be a commoner

And then, the chaotic part of me wants him to be the heir to the Jacobite claim

Last edited:
Dispatch Europe - The German Empress
The German Empress

Victoria II (Victoria Alexandra Mary; 21 April 1926 – 8 September 2022) was the Empress of Germany from 1 July 1958 and Queen of Hanover from 6 February 1952 until her death in 2022.

Victoria was born in Herrenhausen, Hanover, as the first child of the Prince Albert of Hanover and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (later King George V and Queen Elizabeth The Queen-Empress Mother). Her father acceded to the throne in 1937 with the death of Edward III in a French bombing raid during the Invasion of the German States, making the eleven-year-old Princess Victoria the heir presumptive. With her family's flight to the United Commonwealth taking place days after. While before this event, she had been educated privately at home, she was enrolled in a British private school at the insistence of her cousin Louis Battenberg, who had taken in the family upon their arrival. Following this, she began to undertake public duties serving in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. In November 1947, she married Philip Battenberg, a former prince of Greece and Denmark whom she met through Louis Battenberg, his uncle; their marriage lasted 73 years until his death in 2021. They had four children: George, Anne, Andrew, and Edward.

After the liberation of German in 1945, her family returned to Hanover. To the surprise of many, the young Victoria had during her time in school and, as a result of her wartime experience, became a German pan-nationalist, holding that only a United Germany would be secure from hostile powers. Using her position as heir to the throne, she began to address the Hanover Parliament, calling for the Unification of German under a confederal system. Her speeches were widely published, and she became the only woman among the Founding Fathers of Germany. She was officially granted the honorific Mother of the Confederation during her diamond jubilee. Her advocacy for the movement helped sway many of the mid and small-size German states to agree to attend the Vienna Conference of 1951, where she strongly argued for a confederal model, a position that would win out. In keeping with her beliefs in constitutional monarchy, she retired from active politics upon ascending the throne in 1952, though it's known she continued her advocacy behind closed doors.

After the Confederation Treaty was agreed upon in 1956. she emerged quickly as the leading candidate for the office of German Empress, a post she believed needed to be elected by both the "Princes of the Realm and the Commoners alike", a position that had won out during the lengthy debates. And after the Prussian and Austrian Monarch's bowed to public pressure and rescinded their applications, she went on to win the 1958 Imperial Election, easily defeating her only rivals, the Kings of Bavaria and Württemberg.

Taking up residence in the city of Weimar, the new German Capital, she left governance of Hanover to her sister and mother, and when he came of age her son. Reigning as the first Monarch of a United Germany, she presided over the creation of new Pan-German insulations, the formation of the Zollverein, detente with France and the formation of the Congress of Europe.

A widely popular monarch the celebrations of her Silver, Golden, and Diamond jubilees in 1983, 2008, and 2018 respectively all of which coincided with the same milestones for the German Confederation, were widely celebrated events across German society. And while facing occasional republican sentiment she remained the most popular figure in the country she helped create. Victoria died in 2022 at Herrenhausen in Hanover, at the age of 96, and was succeeded by her eldest child, George VI, though only as Monarch of Hanover. Her state funeral was the first to be held in the German Confederation. The election of her successor as German Monarch will be held in June of 2023, her son is ineligible.

8I5DndL.png

Last edited:
Monarchs of Hanover
Monarchs of Hanover after the end of the Personal Union.
  1. 1760-1820 - Geroge III - Became King of Hanover in 1814. Due to his exile in America Hanover would be ruled by regents
  2. 1784-1837- William
  3. 1837-1843 - Edward I
  4. 1843-1901 - Victoria - Salic law overturned due to concerns about her uncle, first in line for the throne, Prince Ernest August. While a female monarch wasn't the first choice of the Hanover Parliament, the liberal Victoria was greatly preferred over Ernest August when it became apparent that none of George III other living children wanted the throne.
  5. 1901-1910 - Edward II
  6. 1910-1936 - George IV
  7. 1936-1937 - Edward III - Killed during bombing by French forces
  8. 1937-1952 - George V - In Exile to 1945
  9. 1952-2022 - Victoria II - Elected Empress of the German Confederation in 1958
  10. 2022-present - George VI

Last edited: