Going in the Name of God: A Surviving Commonwealth Timeline

Chapter 1: Long Live the Protector!
Hello Everyone! For those readers of my previous timeline, Into the Unseen Era, I’m sorry to report that I’m putting that on ice because Microsoft Word ate the entirety of my notes for the timeline. That basically broke whatever will I had to keep working on it as those notes contained effectively all of my research and plans. Instead of dwelling on the past however, I’ll be moving forward with a new project and using Google Docs this time to keep my stuff from vanishing into nothingness.

I hope you all can enjoy my new timeline, Going in the Name of God. I’m hoping to incorporate a story along with the timeline, an idea I had intended to eventually bring into Unseen Era, and I hope you all enjoy that as well!

===<(1)>===​

Chapter 1: Long Live the Protector!

Truro, Hyperboreal WCR, Federation of Worker's Council Republics. Present Day.

In the third story of the headquarters of the Hyperboreal People’s Herald, Joseph Young listened to the radio with annoyance. The news broadcaster plodded on in sonorous syllables telling of the resignation of the local Party Chairman, Donald Osborn. While Young was privately quite happy with Osborn’s resignation, the propaganda-filled broadcast was not to Young’s taste. When one professionally wrote such pieces for the entirety of one’s career, no amount of Revolutionary zeal could make Party slogans or jargon-filled statements appealing.

The problem only worsened when one’s zeal was burnt out, as Young’s thoroughly was. Regardless, he resisted the urge to turn off the radio. The FWCR was no longer as bad as it had been during his childhood when the “Rekindling Campaign” would see Red Guards beat, arrest, or even murder people for the crime of being insufficiently enthused about the Revolution; nevertheless it was not quite wise to provide an opening for the busybodies to begin snooping into his actions. Such types might find a reason to report him to the Popular Guard, whether real or imagined, and it would only be a lucky coincidence that it would also be a benefit to their career.

Shaking his head, Young focused on the article in front of him. He was almost finished with today’s work as one of the HPH’s editors, and with a few strokes of a pen he made his last corrections to the article. Reading it once more, now with corrections properly noted and nodding his approval, Young pulled out a stamp and slapped it down on the paper. In bright sea-green ink, the words APPROVED BY JOSEPH LONG-LIVE-THE-WORKER'S-REVOLUTION YOUNG 14/11/95 stood out on the thick, pulpy paper.

Young scowled upon seeing his ridiculous middle name. It was the kind of thing that only a true dyed-in-the-wool Revolutionary zealot could give to a child. In his heart Young had never forgiven his father for giving it to him, and even though he now played the part of an otherwise well-accepted and quite properly orthodox Fordist, Young still found ways to explore his own personal counter-Revolutionary beliefs. Currently this manifested in a thoroughly improper interest in pre-twentieth century history.

Glancing at the clock, Young swore. This was no time for self-pity or moping, he needed to get to the University soon if he wished to hear a lecture on Louis XIV’s France. It was one which Young had been eagerly waiting to hear for weeks, and he wasn’t about to let his service to the State get in the way of his hobby. Snatching several other papers, all with identical sea-green stamps, Young dashed out of his office and down the hall before whipping into another office. Much to his further annoyance, the resident of said office was seated at his desk.

George Weiss, the HPH’s Censor, looked up at Young. “You could knock, Editor.” Weiss said, his pinched, close-set eyes glaring daggers through Young from behind round, wire-frame glasses. Young didn’t particularly worry about such trivialities however; the hatred Weiss had for him was mutual.

“Sorry about that Snips. Just wanted to get these to you as quick as possible.” Young said before setting down papers on his desk.

“You can also drop that idiotic nickname.” Weiss growled. “I am a member of the Standing Committee for Prevention of Dissemination of Misinformation and Counter-Revolutionary Sentiment. I believe I deserve some respect from you.”

Young bit his tongue and gave a noncommittal gesture before walking out of Weiss’ office. He had never met a more pathetic individual than Weiss even among all the Party hacks Young had the lack of fortune to meet. It took a truly wizened soul to be able to say the full names of the various committees and bureaucratic institutions of the FWCR in full seriousness. To then demand respect for being a member of one of the useless paper-pushing creations required a total lack of self-awareness.

But that was enough thought to Weiss, the Party, the Revolution, his job, all of that flotsam of modern life. Young had a lecture to attend, and yet another chapter of human history to escape the horrors of modernity in. And nothing was going to get in the way of that.

Excerpt from The Last Kings of England: A Brief History of the Protectorate by Neil Coldwell.
Published 2064. Banned in the FWCR 2064.

When Oliver Cromwell fell ill in August of 1658, some around the Protector were afraid he was moribund. George Fox, visiting the Protector in Hampton Court, would remark that “Before I came to him, I saw and felt a waft of death go forth against him, and when I came to him he looked like a dead man.” This was in ironical contrast to the state of the Protectorate itself which, by the estimation of both internal and external observation, was in a stronger position than it ever had been. The pretender Charles II had abandoned any serious prospect of seizing control of England by force and resorted to petty plans of assassination to oust the “mechanic fellow” of Cromwell.

When the Protector’s illness took a serious downward turn on the night of September 2nd-3rd, the titan who so held the British Isles in his ironclad grasp seemed to be finished and a fever would do what the best offers of the exilic King could not. But Fate weaves her lines in strange ways, and as the sun rose on the 3rd, Cromwell’s fever would break. Weakened as he was, the Protector would remain alive.[1]

It shouldn’t be presumed that the Protectorate remained the same as the 1650s came to a close; Cromwell’s health had already been in decline and while the Protector would gain a sort of second-wind following his brush with death, the Protector never fully regained the vigor of his days of the Civil War. In truth, the strong and domineering nature of the earlier Protectorate wasn’t entirely necessary during this period; most of the significant military opposition to Cromwell had been ousted and the pro-Cromwell faction of the Protectorate Parliament was strengthened by the elections that December.

Even the perennial problem of finances which the Commonwealth had long struggled with would improve the following year as the Treaty of the Pyrenees, of which the Commonwealth was one of the three negotiating parties alongside France and Spain, [2] finally brought peace to the Commonwealth. This peace allowed for the extremely high military spending to be lowered, and the Commonwealth to finally be in the black once more. England’s gains certainly did not make matters worse either, as the Commonwealth was ceded the town of Dunkirk from the Spanish Netherlands, and several territories in the Caribbean including Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. The final Spanish concession to the Commonwealth was initially the least financially useful, but the most prestigious in the eyes of the English people; a slice of the northeast coast of Hispanolia that would be dubbed Drakia in honor of the explorer-admiral Francis Drake. The population of the Hispanolian northeast was still recovering from the Devastations of Osorio a half-century earlier, so while the new colony was initially largely an on-paper construction, the native Espanolphone population was relatively easily drowned in the subsequent waves of immigration which saw Drakia firmly secured in the hands of the Commonwealth by the 18th century.

With peace abroad and internally, the Protector would turn to internal matters that had long been considered but neglected due to the pressing external issues. Parliament would once again issue an offer of the Crown to Cromwell in June of 1659, which Cromwell would once more turn down. A third and final Constitution would be adopted in 1660, the Basic Statutes of the Commonwealth, which walked back a few of the additional powers the Protector had gained under the Humble Petition and Advice. This was largely thanks to the growing strength of the Parliament over the Protector that came as a consequence of Cromwell’s perpetually-ill health. Most notably, the Protector’s right to appoint his successor was eliminated; many historians believe that this reform may have saved the Protectorate as it prevented Cromwell’s incapable son Richard, his chosen successor, from succeeding him.

Despite losing power, the Protector was able to see several reforms of English law passed which spoke to a slightly different personage than the cold brutal dictator his early reign is often remembered as. The abolition of the death penalty, excepting in the case of murder, was reinforced (something unfortunately abandoned by future regimes), court fees and fines were once more lowered, and the partial system of public schools already implemented was transformed into a more substantial system. Most curiously of all, at least by modern historiography, several of the religious prescriptions were relaxed and freedom of religion was mostly guaranteed. Cromwell had, despite heading a quasi-theocratic government and being a member of a fire-eating sect, believed quite heavily in personal freedom of religion for all Christians barring only Catholics. While this policy did alienate some hardline Puritans, prompting an uptick in immigration to New England, it dramatically improved the regime’s relations with the less pious elements of the Commonwealth, and those dissenters who were still grumbling under the religious policies of the regime.

In the reforms passed in 1659-1660 by the Protector and Parliament, one matter would prove far more destructive than the rest: the matter of Ireland. As a bone to the religious hardliners, a previously rejected policy saw all Catholic Irish, not just landowner Catholics, ordered expelled from Ireland east of the River Shannon. This policy was unrealistic and dramatically de-stabilized Ireland. Cromwell’s son, Henry Cromwell, the current Lord Deputy of Ireland recognized the looming trouble and repeatedly attempted to stall the implementation of the eastern Expulsion.

Henry Cromwell would hold on to the reigns of Ireland until January, 1662, when he was replaced by his predecessor, Charles Fleetwood. Fleetwood’s previous removal from power seven years prior due to his ineffective radicalism was forgotten as Fleetwood carried out the Expulsion policy with vigor. Through 1662, approximately a quarter-of-a-million Irish Catholics were expelled from the east, and at least eighty thousand more were deported as indentured servants overseas. The flux of Irish indentured servants to the New World was so heavy that the importation of African or Indian slaves was out-right banned, with the demand being totally replaced by Irish indentures.

The first rumbles of restlessness in Ireland would not come from the Catholic population, but the local moderate Presbyterian population. When Fleetwood was first removed from office, it largely was due to his policies which also oppressed the Presbyterians, and his second tenure saw a resumption of those policies. This time however, Parliament did not respond favorably to the Presbyterian petition to oust Fleetwood for a second time. Protests in King’s County would violently escalate out of control in late 1662, accumulating in the Tullamore Massacre where fourteen protesting Presbyterians were gunned down.

Horrified by the Massacre, and fearing that they may be the next target for Expulsion, swathes of the Presbyterian population in Ireland unfurled the old banners of rebellion and rose up. This revolt escalated rapidly as Catholics under the leadership of John Skerrett rose up as well. The Presbyterians and Catholics soon forged an alliance dubbed in retrospect “the Irish League.” This uprising overwhelmed the forces of Lord Deputy Fleetwood across most of Ireland; within only a few months, Fleetwood only remained in command of the old Pale and little else.

General George Monck and most of the garrison in Scotland would be transferred over to Ireland in 1663, with Monck replacing Fleetwood as Lord Deputy of Ireland. Monck and his reinforcements arrived with no time to spare as a League army was marching on Dublin upon his arrival. On May 11th, the Battle of Dublin (actually fought twenty-three miles outside of the city) would see the Protectorate forces halt the advance of the League, but with perilously little room for retreat or maneuver. Morale among the Protectorate soldiers remained high however, with Monck writing that the sentiment among his soldiers was that “Dublin is behind us, we need not to worry about matters other than to advance!”

This overly optimistic view of the fight against the League quickly crumbled however. Irish satyrs [3] proved to be far more than a thorn in the side compared to previous engagements, with the satyric conflict coming to be known as the “War of the Knife.” This resistance on top of the conflict between the soldiers of the League led to the Protectorate being bogged down in trying to enforce control outside of the Pale. Catholic villages and settlements were regularly razed by Protectorate forces in a pogromic campaign that only further drove the Catholic population to satyric resistance.

Monck’s campaigns of 1663 and early 1664 would successfully smash the organized revolt of the League; Protectorate soldiers were dramatically assisted by a split between Presbyterians and Catholics as the War of the Knife saw Catholic satyrs frequently attack Commonwealth loyalists and Presbyterians indiscriminately. Despite this, Commonwealth control of Ireland was entirely ephemeral and highly unstable. While most Presbyterians were able to be re-integrated under the more moderate rule of Monck, over half of Ireland remained the domain of garrison-towns and satyr warlords. All thoughts of continuing the Expulsions were abandoned under Monck, however pogromic violence continued to be the policy of the day during this period.

Nevertheless, the fighting in Ireland was only about to resume as on August 15th, several ships sailed into Limerick. The local Protectorate garrison, already almost annihilated by satyr attacks, would abandon the city without a fight. Seven thousand soldiers would seize control of the city in the name of Charles II. And above the tower of King John’s Castle of Limerick’s King’s Island, the banner of the Duke of York flew proudly. Duke James, the brother of the claimant King, had come to Ireland at the head of an exilic Irish and Spanish army with perfect timing to dramatically escalate the war in Ireland.

[1] Our POD. IOTL, this fever killed Oliver Cromwell.
[2] IOTL England was excluded from the negotiations due to Cromwell’s death and the subsequent chaos.
[3] Guerilla soldiers. The term is being used anachronistically, it won’t be coined ITTL until the 18th century.

Last edited:
I'm in, I was just thinking the other day about a timeline where Cromwell rallies from his illness and is able to establish the Protectorate on studier ground that would survive his eventual death, I can't wait to see where you go with this seeing as we already have proto-Hispaniolian Draka and Presbyterians and Catholics making common cause in Ireland.

Last edited:
I'm in, I was just thinking the other day about a timeline where Cromwell rallies from his illness and is able to establish the Protectorate on studier ground that would survive his eventual death, I can't wait to see where you go with this seeing as we already have proto-Hispaniolian Draka and Presbyterians and Catholics making common cause in Ireland.
Looking forward to this. A surviving Commonwealth is a criminally underused althist idea
Thanks to both of you for your kind words. After I got a hold of a book on the English Civil War/Interregnum, I've become a lot more fascinated with Cromwell and that era of history as a general whole. I'm of course colored by bias towards recency, but the Commonwealth is definitely one of the more interesting periods of history with a lot of diverging points that could have been incredibly impactful. I think a lot of that gets forgotten though because in the end the Commonwealth just collapsed like a wet paper bag IOTL and seems more like an aberration in the comparatively stable history of England/Britain that followed.

I am glad that you do not forget this aspect of Puritanism.
One of the books I read in my research had a nice little section on it, the ins-and-outs of the Puritan's beliefs on education. Like so many other things I've been learning in researching TTL, the situation was more fascinating and complex than I had ever been lead to believe previously.

Oh, what is FWCR's full name?
Federation of Worker's Council Republics, I apparently accidentally trimmed the first (and only) time I used the the FWCR's full name in editing, thanks for pointing it out.

Chapter 2: Alas Poor Ireland...
Chapter 2: Alas Poor Ireland...

Young stepped out of a backdoor into the newspaper’s parking lot into the foggy, Hyperborean November. His grey Pioneer sat in his usual parking spot in the first row of the optimistically large parking lot. There was a sufficient number of spaces for each member of the entire staff to have their own auto, but as with so many other things in the FWCR, supply shortages meant only some of the more prominent individuals actually owned an auto. Young only had a Pioneer thanks to his father; the perks of being the scion of a Party stooge, Young thought bitterly.

The Pioneer belched to life in a cloud of black smoke and Young was off. Urging his car forward, he practically flooring it trying to get to speed. Gears gnashed and the engine grumbled into an almost respectable sounding puttering as the auto creeped its way faster and faster. The main streets of Truro that Young rattled down had long been converted to a broad, well-built avenues intended for traffic. Much like the parking lots however, it was mostly empty. Only smog filled the streets where autos, buses, and people were meant to be en masse. The lonely feeling of the city was only emphasized by large signs painted on the side of buildings or billboards. Smiling, idealized figures, the modern vitruvian men, smiled down at Young from sunlit fields of grain or clean, well-machined factories. And always, sickeningly, large block-text screamed various party slogans underneath the happy facades:

THE WORKER’S REVOLUTION RELIES ON YOUR LABOR

UNITED WE ARE BUILDING THE SIXTH SOCIETY

THE SPIRIT OF FORD LIVES ON IN EVERY WORKER

KEEP THE RED BANNER FLYING HIGH INTO THE 22ND CENTURY

THE PEOPLE’S STATE PROCLAIMS VICTORY OVER POVERTY​

The signs began to peter out however as Young began to leave Truro. The new monolithic concrete architecture was replaced by dilapidated buildings that may have dated back to Hyperborea’s days as a colony or ramshackle constructs of corrugated steel and scrap lumber. There was a lot of foot traffic here, and Young was distracted by the sight of children playing at the road side. Suddenly, out of the fog came the light of a signal lamp and the Pioneer barely screeched to a halt in front of a wooden barricade. Two men approached the auto, one toting a rifle. On the peaked cap of both, Young recognized the symbol of the Gendarmerie. Wheeling down the auto’s window, Young spoke to the unarmed man.

“Is there a problem, Sir?”

“Papers.” the Gendarmerieman said in a forceful and almost bored manner. Young rustled around his coat pocket for a moment before pulling out his identification papers. Briefly, he considered slipping a bill into them, but he decided to hand it over first to sound out the officer. Too small of a bribe for the wrong officer could be seen as an insult, but too large would only mark him as a prime candidate for future shakedowns.

After looking them over for a moment, the officer snapped it closed and handed it back. “What business do you have out here, Mr. Young?”

“Just heading out to the University. For a lecture.”

The officer turned to his armed companion and said “Check the trunk.” This was wrong, and Young began to fear that he ought to have given a bribe. The other Gendarmerieman opened his Pioneer’s trunk and indicated it was empty.

“Officer, my apologies. I can tell you ought to have been compensated for your time.” Young said as he began to reach into his coat pocket.

“Out of the car.” the officer said.

Internally, Young swore. “Damnit, damnit, damnit! I got the last honest bastard in the whole Federation!” Young complied nevertheless and stood on the road beside his car. The officer frisked him and came up with only a few pens, his wallet, and a dog-eared pocket book of Chairman Tyee quotations. He was then forced to remove his coat, and once again patted down before being left for several minutes to shiver in the November cold.

“You said your purpose is to visit the University?” the officer asked.

“Yes, sir.” Young said before beginning “Listen, sir, if I’ve caused an offense—”

“To attend a lecture, is that right?” The officer cut Young off.

“Yes.”

“But you aren’t a student, are you?”

“No. This is something I do for personal enjoyment. Professor Blauvelt’s lectures—”

“So this is simply a matter of pleasure.” the officer said sardonically. “You attend university lectures for fun.”

“Yes!” Young couldn’t help the note of indignance in his voice. “If it is a topic I find interesting, at least.”

The officer seemed about to be preparing for more questions when the screech of another auto’s brakes could be heard. Moments later, another grey Pioneer was stopped behind Young’s. A flicker of annoyance could be seen on the officer’s face and suddenly Young found himself free to go. Weaving his way past the barricade, Young was once more on his way. In his mirror, Young saw a glimpse of a man being dragged bodily from the other Pioneer before the vision faded into the fog. It was nothing now, at least nothing he needed to concern himself with. He only hoped that his hands would stop shaking before he arrived at the University.

Excerpt from The Last Kings of England: A Brief History of the Protectorate by Neil Coldwell.
Published 2064. Banned by the FWCR 2065.

The Duke of York’s soldiers brought a much needed second wind to the Irish League, and even managed to rally some of the Presbyterians who were otherwise defecting to the Protectorate back into the League. With supplies and fresh new professional soldiers, the Duke of York would successfully lead the conquest of Munster and Connaught through the rest of ‘64 before an early and harsh winter halted any campaigning beyond the satyric conflict.

As a belated spring arrived, the Duke of York would launch the League’s second attempt at a march on Dublin. York would drive deep into Leinster before meeting serious resistance, and when the Protectorate forces met York’s, York emerged victorious in the Second Battle of Tullamore, and the Battle of Emo Court. Monck briefly halted York’s advance in the Battle of Rathangan on May 14th, however York would continue his advance.

On May 22nd, the League army attempted to cross the River Liffey at Caragh, which would prove to be disastrous for the League. Nearly two hundred Leaguers would die, and twice their count would be wounded in contrast to only thirty-one deaths on the Protectorate side. Two other attempted crossings of the Liffey over the next three weeks would be less disastrous, but still repulsed by Protectorate forces. The failures would convince General Monck to attempt an offensive against the League which would see limited success but ultimately proved unable to significantly challenge the League’s forces.

The Duke of York would retreat to Roscrea to regroup and wait on additional troops and material that were expected, while General Monck returned to Dublin to restructure some of the Irish administration in aim of salvaging the Protectorate’s position on the Emerald Isle. Monck would too expect to receive reinforcements, however his hopes would soon be dashed. In Scotland small-scale uprisings would break out that autumn. Coventers, inspired by the success of the League and the withdrawal of troops to Ireland, would attempt to wrench control of Scotland back from the Commonwealth. This attempt would largely fail, but it meant that no more troops would be sent to Ireland for the time being.

Fresh troops would arrive for the League in August, although the expected supplies would not arrive and the new troops were comparatively ill-equipped as the exilic Royalists had diverted said supplies for another venture. Nevertheless, with these new troops, the Duke of York would resume the offensive. Avoiding the risk of another humiliating failure of crossing the Liffey as his prestige and popularity was fading in the eyes of the League, York would instead set his eyes on Ulster.

It was here that Oliver Cromwell made what was likely the greatest blunder of his career. Facing his mortality, and intending to leave behind a capable successor, the Protector would send his son, Richard Cromwell, to lead the defense of Ulster. The Protector hoped that his son could see some success, gain experience as a leader, and earn some prestige with the military. Richard Cromwell would fail to achieve any, with the son of the Protector repeatedly proving incompetent. While his father would remove him from command in October, it was far too late to salvage the situation. More than half of Ulster aside from the southern counties of Monaghan, Armagh, Down and the majority of Cavan were under League control. Richard Cromwell would never learn he had been removed from command, however as League forces captured the Protector’s son.

The Protector, distraught from the capture of his son, would fall ill. While lingering on for two more years, Oliver Cromwell would withdraw from the government more and more as time went on. This lapse in Cromwell’s governance would prove quite troublesome for the Protectorate and emboldened the scheming of the Royalist exiles.

On April 14th, 1666, an army of English exiles would set sail from the Spanish Netherlands. In a strange mirror of history, the Royalist army would land near Shoreham-by-Sea, the same site that Charles II would flee England from. The force was relatively small, but extremely well equipped. It was hoped that with Cromwell’s ill health and the assorted reversals the Protectorate had suffered over the past few years, that the Royalists could once again rely on local uprisings and recruitment. They found scant support however as news of the Royalist support for the League had been mixed with stories of the War of the Knife, leading to overwhelming hostility. In many ways, the 1666 invasion only further drove the population into supporting the Commonwealth to the immense frustration of Charles II.

Despite being a relatively anemic attempt at ousting Cromwell, this would be the last time Royalist forces would operate in England for nearly half-a-century. An attempt by the Royalist army to drive straight for London would quickly be halted by Major-General John Lambert who commanded the counter-invasion force. [1] Lambert would gain massive popularity from the engagement despite its relatively insignificant nature, and along with the backing of the Army, Lambert would be appointed the successor to Oliver Cromwell by Parliament later in 1666.

Lambert, acting largely as the head of the restless army, would assume a quasi-governing role through the rest of Cromwell’s life, with Lambert assuming many of the day-to-day responsibilities of governance. Nominally ruling in Cromwell’s name, Lambert’s assumption of power was little more than a soft coup d’etat and representative of the renewed influence of the Army over the Protectorate. This reversal of the position Cromwell had established during his rule reflects the dramatic loss of power Cromwell had suffered during his Protectorship.

This period of late 1666 until Oliver Cromwell’s death was often half-mockingly referred to as the “Lambert’s Regency” and despite being relatively short, in many ways it proved more important than the entirety of Lambert’s Protectorship. Taking advantage of his ambiguous position, Lambert would engage in a series of reforms that only further stripped the Protectorate down from the de facto monarchy it had been a decade prior. The “Other House,” the Commonwealth recreation of the House of Lords, was dismantled and a few of its members were shunted into the Commons. The Protector was further stripped of power, Parliament strengthened, and the franchise even further expanded. [2] While still the most powerful office of the Commonwealth at the time, Lambert’s reforms saw the Protectorate fully retreat from the “monarchy in republican dress” it had been into a properly Republican form of government and would remain the basis of the Commonwealth’s government for the next century-and-a-half.

On the military front, Lambert saw the suppression of the revolts in Scotland which enabled more men and supplies to be sent to reinforce General Monck who, by stroke of genius and fortune, still clung onto Leinster and was finally able to once again push the Irish League back. The Commonwealth once again seemed to be on the verge of peace and victory when the ailing Cromwell would make the last major decision of his reign.

To punish the Spanish for their support of the League and the Royalists, Protector Cromwell ordered that the Commonwealth was to join forces with the French in their new war against Spain. Although it seemed to be a minor war when the trembling, weak hand of the Protector signed the document that dragged the Commonwealth into it, the war would escalate rapidly over the upcoming years. Oliver Cromwell would not live to see the escalation as he passed in his sleep on October 23rd, 1667. His passing was a shock to the people of the Commonwealth, but not a truly disruptive one; General Lambert would be installed as Lord Protector with little fuss, and the mechanisms of the state moved forward with remarkably few hiccups.

But world events prevented this turning of the page of English history from being properly monumental as it ought to have been. Although his funeral would be the largest in English history, and not rivaled for size until the 19th century, the growing flames of the Twelve Years War would overshadow Cromwell’s death...

[1] Lambert fell out with Cromwell as per OTL, but also as per OTL, the two managed to reconcile.
[2] Lambert opposed the more theocratic and oligarchic elements of the Commonwealth, instead favoring the idea of representative government.

This is fantastic, will watch with interest!
Thank you very much! Glad to see you enjoy it!

Hello everyone! Sorry for the errant notification, but I have a map of the world when Oliver Cromwell dies ITTL. I know it's too early for a map to be needed, the changes are still relatively small, but I'm going ahead and posting one anyways. The main reason for this is to have a baseline of the near-OTL time-period for future reference. However, I also have an ulterior motive. There's no OTL Qbam map of the 1660s that I could find, so I've done my best to bodge this together from a 1648 Peace of Westphalia map. Credit to Crazy-Boris on deviantart for the baseline map. Now, this era isn't my forte, I've been doing as much research as I can for writing the timeline, but there will likely be some errors that I'm unaware of. A few small errors will be OK, and likely eventually flattened, but I'm posting the map now in the hope that if something major is wrong, somebody will catch it. If you notice something that seems seriously wrong, please let me know!

Aside from the lack of HRE internal borders, I'm not fixing that because of my plans for the HRE. Also, ignore Hainan. That's also future content!.

The world of Going in the Name of God in 1667
1667.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much! Glad to see you enjoy it!

Hello everyone! Sorry for the errant notification, but I have a map of the world when Oliver Cromwell dies ITTL. I know it's too early for a map to be needed, the changes are still relatively small, but I'm going ahead and posting one anyways. The main reason for this is to have a baseline of the near-OTL time-period for future reference. However, I also have an ulterior motive. There's no OTL Qbam map of the 1660s that I could find, so I've done my best to bodge this together from a 1648 Peace of Westphalia map. Credit to Crazy-Boris on deviantart for the baseline map. Now, this era isn't my forte, I've been doing as much research as I can for writing the timeline, but there will likely be some errors that I'm unaware of. A few small errors will be OK, and likely eventually flattened, but I'm posting the map now in the hope that if something major is wrong, somebody will catch it. If you notice something that seems seriously wrong, please let me know!

Aside from the lack of HRE internal borders, I'm not fixing that because of my plans for the HRE. Also, ignore Hainan. That's also future content!.

The world of Going in the Name of God in 1667
View attachment 797782
IOTL, Acadia was controlled by England from 1654 (before your POD) until 1667 Treaty of Breda. ITTL, there were no Second Anglo-Dutch War as IOTL so Acadia should remain under England's control.

IOTL, Acadia was controlled by England from 1654 (before your POD) until 1667 Treaty of Breda. ITTL, there were no Second Anglo-Dutch War as IOTL so Acadia should remain under England's control.
Thank you, that's a good catch. As I said, I'm shakier on this time period so this is exactly the kind of thing that helps! Also, this is a nice detail to keep for the future when dealing with Franco-Commonwealth relations.

Chapter 3: The Sun Rises in the West
Chapter 3: The Sun Rises in the West

The main building of the University of Truro looked less like it belonged in the Truro of Hyperborea than Truro’s Cornish namesake. Built in a magnificent Gothic style that mimicked England’s Oxford, one could almost be forgiven for thinking one was back in the Old World by simply looking at the building’s architecture. The only way to tell this was something of the FWCR was the preponderance of red flags; everything from the flag of the FWCR itself, the Federation flag appended with the initials HyWCR that represented Hyperborea, the sword-and-hammer of the Party Flag, and simple plain red banners flew from practically every available corner of the building.

Young breathed deeply, finally steeling his nerves enough to draw his face into a neutral position as he stepped from his Pioneer and stepped onto the University grounds. Like a modern Daniel, he had to navigate the den of lions. Troublingly however, he had no hand of God behind him, and the lions wore human faces. They were the “Rabble,” those persons who, while professing to be the most plebish, the most ideologically devout, were actually entirely dominated by a combination of anempathic disorder, [1] privilege, and suimundism. [2] Ever since the failures of the Rekindling Campaign, of which they had been a critical component, the Rabble only possessed any significant influence in the Universities.

Thankfully they largely shunned the Historical Department, but one could never be too safe. If a member of the Rabble latched onto you, trouble would surely follow. Being too old to be a student, and not wearing the customary garb of a professor, Young risked attention more than most. But, by maintaining a stony expression and holding himself with confidence, he had successfully avoided prying eyes so far.

Today seemed to be no exception, and Young finally breathed a small sigh of relief as he slipped into the correct room. He was not late, students were still filing in as Young made his way to the back of the lecture hall and sat on the plain guest bench. Professor Blauvelt looked up from his paperwork for a moment and upon making eye contact with Young, nodded in greetings. If friends were too strong of a word, the two were at least fast acquaintances.

After several minutes, Blauvelt finally got up from his desk, closed the door to the lecture hall and began to speak. “Good afternoon everyone.” The crowd responded anemically, most already exhausted from prior lectures. “Now, before we begin, I want to mention something.” Blauvelt held up a copy of the official Federation-wide Party newspaper, The People’s Will. “You may have read an article yesterday that argues against the teaching of history as learning history reportedly ‘threatens to expose ideas of the counter-Revolutionary past to the public.’ I was very disappointed to see that the Will would even publish such a foolish notion. The fundamental principles of Fordism and the Worker’s State are founded in history. Elijah Ford himself was a historian, he wrote within the context of history when laying down the basic tenants of the Fordist system.”

“That isn’t even to consider the question of Progress. How can we understand the Progress the Federation has brought since the Revolution if we don’t know what came before? How could we make Progress as the Social Society, without stagnation or backsliding if we don’t know what we are progressing from? Without a grasp on our history, the Federation would be as the Democracies of Russia, Mexico or the Verenigde: nothing but a false start in Progress, garbage bound for the incinerator of history.”

The professor paused for a moment, allowing his previous words to sink in slightly before continuing. “It could be even worse, could we not begin down the wrong road into a malignant Society as the Germans have done with their ‘Weltstaat’?”

There was an uproar at that statement, and one student cried out “That’s defeatist talk! The Federation would never abandon Fordism!”

“That is what they said in Germany once.” The professor responded. “Now, I don’t tell you this to scare you, or to try and ruin your spirits. Rather, this is to emphasize just how important a historical education is. The Germans threw away their history, and look at how their corrupted Society has metastasized.” After giving his words a sufficient amount of time, and allowing for a few more squawks of protest, Blauvelt clapped. The sharp sound suddenly cutting through the tension that had filled the air. “Now then, that’s enough of that. Today we are continuing our discussion on Louix XIV…”

Excerpt from an untitled lecture by Professor Francis Blauvelt.
Lecture given 2095.

As you will recall, the dowry promised to Louis in the Treaty of the Pyrenees was not paid. [3] Louis then claimed that since the dowry was not paid, the Spanish Netherlands “devolved” to him. [4] This claim was bunk, but it was enough to be the spark for the Guerre de Dévolution, or as we know it: the Twelve Years War or sometimes the First War of Spanish Partition. The Twelve Years War started out relatively well as wars go, with the French successfully occupying portions of the Spanish Netherlands with only token resistance.

The English would enter the war that September thanks to the decree of the dictator Cromwell, but since Cromwell and his successor Lambert were mostly interested in having an excuse to seize Spanish shipping as “retaliation” for the Spanish assisting the Irish in their Second War of Liberation, the English involvement ultimately didn’t seem like much. We know this because when the envoys of Louis met with Leopold, the Holy Roman Emperor, the negotiations between the two didn’t even discuss the English involvement.

The winter talks between the French and Germans might have ended the War right there, and it would have gone down as nothing but a minor European engagement. Just one of the countless which occurred in this era. But such a thing wasn’t meant to be. [5] Instead, the War would continue.

As the war dragged on, and the French continued to find little resistance in their invasions, Louis' grew increasingly bold in his demands. By seventy, the whole of the Spanish Netherlands and the Franche-Comte, and even possibly some additional concessions out of Catalonia were demanded from Madrid.

France's relatively easy victory was mostly reflective of the troublesome state of the Spanish financial situation, and the ceaseless mire of Portugal's breakaway. Spain had gone bankrupt again in 1666, and the war with Portugal had not gone in Spain's favour since the revolt began. With a French-subsidized England joining with the Portuguese in driving the Spanish from Portugal Proper, the Spanish were unable to seriously fight for their other possessions.

Louis' ceaseless expansionism finally provoked a proper counter-reaction in 1671. In the Treaty of Amsterdam, the Spanish,Holy Roman Emperor, Denmark-Norway, and the Dutch agreed to enter the conflict as an anti-French alliance. Now, I know what you are thinking: "How could the Dutch ally the Catholic Emperor, let alone Spain?" It is true that this was a strange set of bedfellows, but then so was the alliance of Catholic France and the Puritan English. Mutual enemies make fast friends, and both the Holy Roman Emperor and the Dutch were growing anxious over Louis’ ambitions. Denmark-Norway, on the other hand, had largely joined the anti-French side for protection from the looming threat of Sweden.[6] An ironic mis-step for Christian V considering what was to follow.

For you see, there was one small kink in the plan of the Amsterdam Alliance. The war would not be a straightforward piling on of France as the Treaty of Amsterdam spooked the minor princes of the Holy Roman Empire. Many of the princes, including some of the more notable princes of Bavaria, Munster, Cologne and Hesse-Cassel, were united in the “League of the Rhine.” The League had initially been a simple defensive alliance that forbade the passage of the Emperor's troops through their lands, but that changed when the Dutch and Emperor allied. With a little convincing from the French, the princes of the League outright joined the French in fighting their own Emperor. Sweden had also been a member of the League of the Rhine, and would join after some fretting a year later.

To those of you who remember your 19th century history, this might seem strange that the princes would act so boldly in opposition to the Emperor. But the princes of the 1600s were not those of two centuries later. In this era the minor princes of the Empire were not the weak and pliant figures they would become, indeed many would sooner cut their own throats before seriously submit to the Emperor in Regensburg. [7] They certainly weren't concerned for the suffering they were bound to inflict on the people they ruled over. Scarcely a generation had passed since the Thirty Years War and all the devastation that had come with it, and the princes of the Empire were willing to once more sacrifice their peasantry and plebiantry for political goals.

To say that King Louis was surprised by the escalation of events would be an understatement. Reportedly upon hearing news of the Treaty of Amsterdam, the King flew into an uncharacteristic rage, and the usually impeccable King would struggle for several days to fully reconcile the new situation with what had previously existed. In his centralized regime, this delay was not only unusual, it actually provoked serious concern within the French nobility and military as Louis was a notorious detail-botherer. Without his input, the regime simply did not function which caused some trouble for France as a whole. Those of you who intend to move forward with Fordist Historiographical Theory should make sure to take a note of this, it is the prime example of the troubles of the Manoralist Era of Feudal Societies.

Once Louis recovered from his shock, he began to organize a counter to the coalition now aimed squarely against him. French troops swept into Lorraine and the western Rhineland to prop up France’s Rhinish allies. The beleaguered Duke Charles of Lorraine was captured attempting to flee the land he had only regained a decade prior. He would die in captivity, never to return. In the Netherlands, the French would see less success. Caught off-guard, the Dutch Republic would successfully drive the French from Antwerp despite the neglected state of the Dutch army. In other theaters, France’s allies fought with a poor showing. English troops captured the Ursuline Islands [8] and successfully defended Drakia colony from Spanish attack, but otherwise failed to capture Havana and suffered a series of defeats along with Portugal against the Spanish. Bavaria and several Rhinish allies were defeated in a series of battles that ended in the capture and sacking of Munich by rioting troops.

The next year, sixteen-seventy-two, would be known as the “Year of Failure” for the French, although it was only truly awful for Sweden. Brandenburg joined the war on the side of the Emperor shortly after Sweden entered the war, slamming the Swedes in Pomerania. Danish and Norwegian troops also clamped Sweden proper in a vice as Imperial troops occupied Bremen-Verden. France meanwhile suffered the comparatively light pains of having more of her Rhinish allies overran while Dutch troops pushed them further back south of Ghent and Brussels. Even portions of Alsace would be taken by Imperial troops. Finally, England saw the Dutch seize their Maryland and Virginia colonies even as they achieved the only real success of the French alliance in ‘72: capturing Dutch South America.

Most at the time expected the French were going to throw in the towel at this point, but King Louis wasn’t exactly the man to give up. Speaking to his foreign minister, Jean-Baptiste Colbert, the King would insist that now wasn’t time to quit as they were “on the verge of greatness.” Louis would be proven right thanks to the Battle of Strasbourg which was on June 13th, 1673, almost directly in the middle of the war. Strasbourg was one of the two major turning points of the war, as the humiliating defeat reversed whatever momentum the Holy Roman Emperor’s army possessed, and gave the French the victory needed to rally to defeat their neighbors. Now as an aside, don’t be too caught up in the idea of crushing military victories and glorious violence that comes with the significance of the battle. Strasbourg was only an important victory because of the disorderly and chaotic retreat across the Rhine which saw a literal decimation of the Imperial army as soldiers drowned in the Rhine - along with the accidental assassination of their commander, Field-Marshal Aeneas de Caprara, by cannonshot. Like so many of history’s great battles, Strasbourg wasn’t the achievement of brilliance and grit, but one of happenstance and misfortune.

After Strasbourg, the French would drive across the Rhine, chasing the disorganized Imperial army back out of their Swabian allies before turning north to re-enforce their Rhinish allies. The Dutch were forced to retreat from the Spanish Netherlands as the Franco-Rhinish force now threatened to flank the Republic from the East. They were pursued by the northern elements of the French army. Fearing the worst, the Dutch began to fill their Waterline Defense, a series of flood-zones lined with forts that would turn Holland into a virtual island. The suddenly grim situation seemed to be picking up as the French halted outside the Republic, allowing the Waterline to fill.

That glimmer of hope soon turned to ash. The sudden and violent freeze of late October dragged into November and then December.

And the Waterline froze solid. Amsterdam lay open to the French.

[1] Sociopathy.

[2] Narcissism, but more in the extremes of solipsism or narcissistic personality disorder.

[3] Louis XIV married Maria Theresa in the Treaty of the Pyrenees. He was supposed to be paid a dowry for this marriage, and IOTL and ITTL, that did not occur.

[4] A simplified version of OTL’s argument.

[5] IOTL these negotiations were successful because Charles II was sick with smallpox and seemed near death. Louis XIV aimed to inherit his claims upon Charles II’s death. ITTL, Charles II didn’t fall ill so Louis XIV is instead going to press his claims by the sword.

[6] This is actually the wrong way around, Denmark-Norway was far more likely to attack Sweden to regain Scania as they did OTL than the other way around.

[7] Blauvelt is being hyperbolic, and his use of Regensburg is anachronistic.

[8] Heligoland

Chapter 4: Sol Triumphant
Chapter 4: Sol Triumphant

The lecture came to an end far too quickly. Young slowly gathered his things as the students filed out, hanging behind even as the last students asked professor Blauvelt questions. Finally, the two were alone and the professor greeted him warmly.

“Joseph! How are you doing today?”

“I’m fine. And you, professor?”

“As well as I can be.” The professor said. “I don’t suppose you’ve heard the rumors.”

“No, I’m afraid I haven’t. Is it bad?”

“For the University, yes. There’s going to be a purge of deviantionists soon.”

Young frowned, lines of confusion staining his face. “Isn’t that good? Clearing out the Rabble would free up the University.”

“They aren’t just getting rid of the Rabble, Joseph. They’re going to go after the reformists too.” The professor’s voice was somber.

Sudden horror further marked Young’s face. “Professor! Are you in danger?” Blauvelt nodded in affirmation. “But you’ve always been a loyal Fordist and a man of ideological understanding. Why even today you critiqued the Will for their failings in Fordism rather than argue against the Fordist system!”

The professor’s voice remained somber. “That may be true Joseph. I am loyal to the Federation and Ford. But the Party of today isn’t the Party of Chairman Tyee. Or even that of the Rekindling. The Party is...” Blauvelt trailed off for a moment, visibly grasping for the correct and safe words to continue. “Listen, Joseph. Pine trees are truly amazing. Thanks to deep roots, the healthy pine tree can withstand the highest of winds without toppling, and their sturdy trunks can withstand all kinds of blows without risk. But when the core is rotting, when the tree is aged and ill, the pine will look fine on the outside. A good gust or disturbance will send it crashing down with the lightest touch then, ignoring how it appears. And those who tend to the tree end up paralyzed as it ages, they fear the wind and must maintain the status quo all the while the tree continues to grow ever more fragile, forcing those who tend the tree to ever-desperately enforce a paralysis that prevents change.”

Young’s face screwed up into frustrated tightness as he tried to process what the Professor had said. Finally, something came to his lips. “I was stopped by the Gendarmerie while coming here. I think the rumors might have something to them.” Young did not – could not – directly address what Blauvelt had said, and the Professor seemed to accept the redirection of the conversation.

“It could have been a random stop. A simple searching-for matter. But in the event it weren’t—” The professor’s mouth snapped shut and he blanched. Grabbing Young's hands with his own, trembling pair. “Joseph, my friend, I understand you’ve been very busy with your work lately. There’s no need for you to come in if you’re this busy. Please, take it easy.” The professor's words were of concern, but something in his voice was on edge, nearly maniac. “I’m always happy to see you, but you can’t run yourself ragged. You aren’t getting any younger after all.”

For a moment, Young was going to protest. Suddenly what the professor meant clicked in his mind, and he nodded in response. “I will, professor. And thank you for your ahh concern.”

There was nothing else to be said, and Young walked towards the door. Blauvelt called out “I hope to see you soon, Joseph.” Halfway out of the lecture hall, Young turned. The words choked in his throat, and he gave the professor a simple wave farewell.

Excerpt from an untitled lecture by Professor Francis Blauvelt.
Lecture given 2095.

The French army overran Amsterdam, facing more resistance from the rioting population than the actual Dutch army. News that the French army had penetrated the Waterline broke the morale of the Dutch army and led to the Republic descending into chaos. Common history notes the capture of Amsterdam as the end of the Dutch Republic, but that isn’t truly accurate. De Witt and the government of the Republic were in The Hague not Amsterdam and nominally held onto power for three more days.

But an angry and panicking people are not to be underestimated. Especially not a people such as the Dutch of that era who had developed almost pushed out of Feudalism into a National society. De Witt and several of his supporters were hanged in the streets, and for a brief moment Revolution came to the Netherlands. [1] The early spark of the People was, unfortunately, extinguished in embryo by the French who occupied The Hague as well. The Prince of Orange was brought in to serve as Stadtholder [2] and to sign a treaty with France that dismantled the Dutch Republic. [3] For his support of the French, the Prince of Orange was given a hereditary crown as Prince of a rump Holland. In the end however, Hollander throne was quite the white elephant for William. A gilded throne that was little more safe than our modern electric chairs as the future would prove.

With the Dutch thoroughly chastened, Louis now set his sights on securing France’s east. One might guess that with the Holy Roman Empire effectively fighting a second Thirty Years War the task would be easier. In reality, the war between France and the Holy Roman Emperor ground to a halt here. Not in literal terms mind you, the armies of France and the Emperor ravaged the Rhineland in a Sisyphean struggle, but neither overcame the other to any significant degree. Even the expansion of the war into Italy saw the back-and-forth continue with little achieved aside from devastating Piedmont and Milan.

Instead, it was in Spain that Louis' saw the rest of his successes in the Twelve Years War. This isn’t particularly impressive in all honesty, the Spanish state was as healthy as its King and had already been losing to the Anglo-Portuguese forces in the West. Catalonia was once more wrenched from Spanish hands, this time permanently, and the French army successfully drove as far as Zaragoza and Valencia. The second major turning point of the war would also occur in Spain, where the defeat of the Spanish army in the 1678 Battle of Ariza finally provoked the Spanish to capitulate to the French. The war was finally coming to an end, and France was emerging victorious.

Emperor Leopold would attempt one final offensive against the French, which like so much of this conflict simply ended in death and despair for the common man. Their failure to crack the French led to Leopold agreeing to peace talks as well, finally setting the Twelve Years War towards an end.

The peace negotiations were hosted in the luxurious Palace of Versailles, France’s newly-built center, [4] and were as much talk for peace as they were an opportunity for Louis XIV to show off. More time was spent in balls and frivolity than in actual negotiations, but the small horde of diplomats who drafted the Treaty of Versailles did bring a brief peace to Europe.

To Louis XIV’s great delight, France was of course the main victor and walked away with most of the gains. The Spanish Netherlands, the Franche-Comte, the Dutch Generality lands, Lorraine, and Catalonia were all peeled away from their prior owners and attached to France. The only real concession that Louis XIV had to make was that each was established as a separate fiefdom in personal union with France than being a part of France proper. Outside of the new titles, one of the fragments of the Netherlands, Guelders, was assigned to Louis’ young son Phillippe [5] and outside of Europe, France gained Saint Martin, New Andalusia, [6] and Ceylon. Now these changes may not seem as dramatic as those that came from the end of say the Third International War, but they were dramatic for the time. France was undeniably the dominant power of Europe, and Louis XIV’s status as the Sun King was cemented. All Europe orbited France, which in turn orbited him.

The rest of the Treaty of Versailles signed away other lands to England and Sweden. England gained the valuable American colonies of Hispanolia and the Dutch Caribbean, and a nominal vassal in Frisia albeit while losing Virginia and Maryland to Holland. Sweden gained Prussia which was detached from Brandenburg Both of France’s allies seemed ascendant alongside France, and with their Rhinelander support, the French alliance seemed in a proper position to dominate Europe. Louis XIV’s dreams of French hegemony were within his grasp.

Only trouble of the matter was that after 1680, both England and Sweden had abandoned France. Lambert felt that England had been stiffed in the peace negotiations, not receiving a proper share of the spoils. When England fell into a period of malaise thanks to a massive outbreak of the Plague in 1678, the Puritans began to whip the population to anger. The Plague, you see, was the wrath of God for England’s betrayal of the Dutch to the vile Papists in Versailles. Or, at least, so the preachers said. With this volatile atmosphere, and Lambert’s personal gripes, the break between England and France was inevitable. But King Louis couldn’t help but make things worse. Attempting to seize upon the relative weakness England was in during the period of turmoil, Louis sent an offer to provide further financial assistance to England if England would provide protection for Catholics. Whether this was a genuine offer, or part of some plot is uncertain. Many claimed there was some “Popish Plot” to subjugate England as the claimant King Charles publicly converted to Catholicism at this time as well.

Whether there was some grand plan to give over London over to the Pope or it was simply paranoid mutterings by radicals, it didn’t matter. Louis XIV’s dedication to Catholicism had seen him bully the Protestant Dutch into tolerating Catholics, but that only worked because the Dutch had been brought into France’s orbit. Blinded by his piety, Louis would lean too hard on England and drove the nation from being an ally to an enemy. Sweden would take the opportunity to follow England, only further increasing Louis’ isolation. In a way, Louis was less the Sun than Icarus.

Or at least that was how it seemed. By some miracle Louis and Leopold would overcome their differences and sign the then-secret Treaty of Partition which would set the seeds of the upcoming War of Spanish Succession…

Excerpt from Encyclopediae Batavicae by Hendrik Johan van Creveld.
Published 2087. Translated into English 2092. Banned by the FWCR 2087.

Partition, The: Following the collapse of the De Witt government during the Twelve Years War, the First Republic was broken up into five separate states by the Kingdom of France: The Principality of Holland, the Duchy of Guelders, the Duchy of Friesland and Groningen, the Duchy of Brabant, and the County of Drente. [7] Along with the Southern Netherlands, Prince-Bishopric of Liege, and the Free City of Deventer, the post-partition period is known as the Eight Netherlands. The carving up of the First Republic was very traumatic for the Netherlanders and annihilated the banking industry in Amsterdam, but ultimately proved temporary. It was in this trauma that the Netherlandic identity emerged, transcending the borders of the new artificial states imposed on the Netherlanders and the old feudal regime in Liege.

Principality of Holland: The Principality of Holland was one of the French puppet regimes established in the aftermath of the Partition. The Principality inherited most of the Dutch colonial empire, including control of the VOC. Perpetually unstable, the first Prince, William, was assassinated in 1684 and left his infant son, William II, in a regency that ultimately de-evolved into a military dictatorship…

Duchy of Guelders (1679): Given to the son of Louis XIV of France, Phillippe, by the Partition, Guelders was the resurrection of the older feudal title. It consisted of Gelderland and Overijssel upon its establishment, and briefly occupied Friesland, Groningen, and Drente during the War of Spanish Succession. Phillippe, who nominally ruled as Duke Philip III, never actually visited his duchy and all ruling was done through a series of boorish governors until the ultimate destruction of the duchy…

Duchy of Friesland and Groningen: Separated from the rest of the Netherlands during the Partition, Friesland and Groningen was established as a composite entity under Henry Casimir. Henry Casimir had already been Stadtholder of the two provinces, which traditionally had Stadtholders from the House of Nassau-Dietz instead of the Princes of Orange. The elevation of Henry Casimir to a Duke was largely a cementing of the de facto status the Frisian Stadtholders already possessed. Friesland and Groningen, along with Drente, managed to outlive the rest of the post-Partition states of the Eight Netherlands largely due to the pre-existing powerbase and separation of Henry Casimir.

Duchy of Brabant (1679): Carved from the Generality Lands of the First Dutch Republic by the Partition, the Duchy of Brabant was placed in direct union with France. The Duchy had a heavy French presence and was dis-proportionately militarized. It nevertheless was ultimately dismantled…

County of Drente (1679): Resurrected during the Partition, the County of Drente was apocryphally only re-created by a misunderstanding on the part of Louis XIV and ruled the titular province. Too poor to sustain any real function as a fully sovereign state, the County was given to Duke Henry Casimir of Friesland and Groningen. Like Friesland and Groningen, Drente outlived the rest of the Eight Netherlands and was only dissolved during the…

[1] There was no ritualized cannibalism this time around.
[2] Technically just Stadtholder of some of the provinces, but this technicality is often overlooked IOTL and ITTL.
[3] Plans to do so IOTL’s Franco-Dutch War were thwarted by continued Dutch resistance and the success of the Waterline Defense.
[4] Blauvelt’s being anachronistic again. Versailles was a major palace then, but Louis XIV hadn’t moved the administration from Paris yet.
[5] TTL’s version of Philippe Charles, the Duke of Anjou who survives IOTL.
[6] A segment of eastern Venezuela.
[7] An alternate spelling of Drenthe, favored ITTL over Drenthe.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone! I've got a map of Europe post Treaty of Versailles for you all. Also, I've realized I didn't mention the creation of a "sovereign" Kingdom of Galicia in the last update which (along with the loss of Portugal) was the reason for the "First War of Spanish Partition" moniker for the Twelve Years War. Well, it's a mistake that will be rectified soon enough when I go more in-depth on Iberia.

1673121244403.png

The rest of the Treaty of Versailles signed away other lands to England and Sweden. England gained the valuable American colonies of Hispanolia and the Dutch Caribbean, and a nominal vassal in Frisia albeit while losing Virginia and Maryland. Sweden gained Prussia which was detached from Brandenburg Both of France’s allies seemed ascendant alongside France, and with their Rhinelander support, the French alliance seemed in a proper position to dominate Europe. Louis XIV’s dreams of French hegemony were within his grasp.
Who gained Virginia and Maryland from England?