Gloster f.5/34

If You follow the Spitfire Logic and have a designer other than the original procede to undertake continued developement which included almost doubling the weight and tripling the HP then you could see the Gloster F5/34 and it's derrivetives go through a sequene something like this;-
MkI, Mercuary about 850/900 hp.
MkII, Taurus about 1200hp
Mk III, Herules about 1300/1700hp

Or Mercury, Twin Wasp, Merlin XX, Griffon III, Griffon 77, Hercules 100.

Or..

Such as; I'm still trying to decide on a new vertical fin.

comper2S.png

Err, why is it bright pink?

Since the Air Ministry insisted that the Gloster had no priority whatever, development proceeded under the sponsorship of a lady of means, whose only prerequisite was that all prototypes must be painted shocking pink, to match her Rolls Royce. That, and it's a base color which I never use in the final color wash.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Philip Lloyd-Greame-Philip Cunliffe-Lister GBE,CH, MP, PC, The Right Honourable The Earl of Swinton.

vs. Just Leo

He had a long enough name to do it, but didn't, but I didn't, and couldn't.

Ah! Secretary of State for Air 7 June 1935 – 16 May 1938 (30 psi please and give the windscreen a wipe)

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Since the Air Ministry insisted that the Gloster had no priority whatever, development proceeded under the sponsorship of a lady of means, whose only prerequisite was that all prototypes must be painted shocking pink, to match her Rolls Royce. That, and it's a base colour which I never use in the final colour wash.
Same Lady Lucy Houston that sponsored the Schneider trophy team?
Lady-Houston-Schneider-Trophy.jpg

Poppy was the wealthiest woman in the world.

I'd go with tail 1. Maybe clip the top.
The Bristol type 146 had a nice one:
300px-Bristol_Type_146.jpg

http://www.ingridpitt.net/world-war-2/lady-who-won-war.html

So sure was she of the coming conflict that she offered to put up £200,000 to finance an Air Defence for London. The Government turned it down. Lady Lucy Houston was not to see the benefits that her largess bestowed on Britain. Like the Supermarine/Spitfire designer, R.J Mitchell, she died before the Second World War started. But even in death there was controversy. It was known that she had made a will. But it was never found.
License could be found for all manner of pre-war projects. She also offered similar amounts to the RN and Army! Suppose that a German spy 'lost' her will? That in this TL that does not happen? £5 million?

Any chance that Folland would come up with something like the Reaper if still at Gloster for the cannon fighter bid?

Last edited:
Poland, Sweden, Italy and Czechoslovakia had licenses to build Mercury engines. The PZL P.50 was never intended to be powered by Mercury, but alternate engines didn't come to hand in timely fashion. Sweden opted for the Vultee Vanguard with P&W 1830, which was embargoed, and then home-built the marvellous FFVS J-22, with pirate P&W. The question might have been how well the Gloster No Name would compare with similar P&W engine.

I failed to mention that Timber Woods was one of the original Malta pilots who flew the Malta Sea Glads, Faith, Hope and Charity. He never learned squadron discipline, apparently.

Yes, it shows how many Countries were producing the Mercury, and therefore it is a plausible (IMO) WI to imagine that such Countries would have been interested in ordering the Gloster mono - given that the prototype flew earlier and the RAF ordered it.

And incidentally, my reading of the wiki entry shows that the Poles only looked for a different engine for the PZL P.50 after continuing problems with their Mercury installation.

There are some pics of the f.5.... fourth pic suggests the undercarriage needs to be fully recessed, otherwise drag will be high.

gloster534-6.jpg

f5-34_1.jpg

Gloster_f5-34.jpg

gloster_f5-34-2.jpg

6417159917_86272e8da8_o.jpg

gloster534-5.jpg

235952d1371133564t-stuka-retractable-landing-gear-gloster534-04.jpg

01ATG1KX
e

Last edited:
"There are some pics of the f.5.... fourth pic suggests the undercarriage needs to be fully recessed, otherwise drag will be high."

Agreed - the only semi recessed wheels could increase drag, so either that is accepted for any initial aircraft - with the benefit of a wheels-up crash landing; or that's something to rectify for any production aircraft.

For FAA use the F5/34 has another fundemental problem. That is that Folland designed it with a one peice wing spa that spanned from wingtip to wingtip. This creates a numbe of problems,vis a vis;- fitting folding wings requires a complete rengineering/redesign of the main spa, also you cannot do major repairs by simply swapping a wing as you could on both Hurricane and Spitfire aircraft. An ATL solution is to have Folland given a design contracy to build a naval fighter based on the F5/34 as soon as he starts at British Marine Aircraft in early 1937. Stipulate folding wings from the start and for engines start with the Bristol Taraus or the Armstrong Siddley tiger VIII, with an eye to the Alvis Leonides(Major) Engine or the Bristol Hercules as a later option (in this case either the RN or a fairy godmother funds the development and early production of the Alvis engines)

Last edited:
Folland will be redesigning the wing to incorporate a fully retractable undercarriage that rotates 90 degrees, as well as other naval gear, so don't worry. It's not like he doesn't have enough work to do fitting the early Griffon onto the Mercury airframe. James Martin could help with the wing-fold mechanism. He's quite good with mechanicals and stuff.

comper2S.png

Nice mock-ups how about timeline, Mk numbers and engines types? Please:D

Timeline and Mk nos are too complex for my tiny brain, but the engines are the P&W R-1830 S3C4-G, Merlin, Griffon single stage, two-stage, and Centaurus. Other PODs are required, such as the early Griffon, OF COURSE. It doesn't even have a name, except Folland Fighter. The Alvis Pelides and Pelides Major can be substituted for the P&W engine, and the Centaurus, if it comes to that, with another POD, but that requires that the AM drink from the fountain of wisdom, in the temple of ASB.