For Want of A Nail

Has anyone read this masterpiece? This is the best AH I've ever read. It's a friggin history book! If you ripped out the first three pages, one would never know it's fiction.

There's fake footnotes, a fake bibliography, and even a fake critique in the back. It's amazingly detailed.

Wrong forum.......

I havn't read it, but from what I've heard, it's nothing short of amazing. There was a library in Colorado that had the book for years in the history section, instead of its fiction/sci-fi section.

It's a good book, although the USM's turning into a stereotypical Latin American state towards the end (charismatic Leader who puts dissidents in jail) and no real threat to the Ancien Regime in Europe for generations were a bit less than realistic (no US and no French revolutions would mean no 1848, but industrialization would generate enough instability to make things...interesting).

It's a good book, although the USM's turning into a stereotypical Latin American state towards the end (charismatic Leader who puts dissidents in jail) and no real threat to the Ancien Regime in Europe for generations were a bit less than realistic (no US and no French revolutions would mean no 1848, but industrialization would generate enough instability to make things...interesting).

MP

I agree, plus the fact that so many things still got paralleled. Like the rise of a centralised militaristic Germany or the French intervention in the USM [Mexico+] in the mid-19thC. Also, as someone who has doubts about untrammeled big business I couldn't see the success of the company that virtually ran the USM later on actually being duplicated. [Too long since I read the book to remember its name].

Steve

HelloLegend

Banned
Has anyone read this masterpiece? This is the best AH I've ever read. It's a friggin history book! If you ripped out the first three pages, one would never know it's fiction.

There's fake footnotes, a fake bibliography, and even a fake critique in the back. It's amazingly detailed.

Can you tell me what's it about? Soldiers in the 19th Century? I might be interested. I spent 2 hours yesterday at the bookstore hunting for a good novel especially SF. I left with Battlestar Galactica novel because I couldn't find anything more worthy.

It's interesting in a boring sort of way, as an act of creative historigraphy, if you like it's at the opposite pole to Jean d'Ormesson's THE GLORY OF THE EMPIRE. Worth looking at- but not if your idea of AH is limited to Turtledove, Flint, Stirling, etc.

Can you tell me what's it about? Soldiers in the 19th Century? I might be interested. I spent 2 hours yesterday at the bookstore hunting for a good novel especially SF. I left with Battlestar Galactica novel because I couldn't find anything more worthy.

As Kidblast says, it's basically a fake history book - a history of North America written as if from a timeline where Britain put down the American Rebellion. Fantastic idea - it's time someone else wrote a book like that.

The recent paperback reprint doesn't have the map at the front, but there are maps of the timeline's N. America and Europe online somewhere. There's a summary of the timeline on Wikipedia.

York library in England also has it in the history section. But then in my experience, libraries always shelve books according to what they look like, not what their content is. Slough library has Guns of the South in their westerns section.

I loved it, though I read it a long time ago. It's kind of inspired the way I write my TLs, someday I hope to give one of my pre-existing ones or make a new one with that kind of depth (and no, it's not just because I suck at fiction writing :p )

Thande

Donor
As Kidblast says, it's basically a fake history book - a history of North America written as if from a timeline where Britain put down the American Rebellion. Fantastic idea - it's time someone else wrote a book like that.

The recent paperback reprint doesn't have the map at the front, but there are maps of the timeline's N. America and Europe online somewhere. There's a summary of the timeline on Wikipedia.

York library in England also has it in the history section. But then in my experience, libraries always shelve books according to what they look like, not what their content is. Slough library has Guns of the South in their westerns section.

In other words, they judge a book by its cover? :D

It's interesting in a boring sort of way, as an act of creative historigraphy, if you like it's at the opposite pole to Jean d'Ormesson's THE GLORY OF THE EMPIRE. Worth looking at- but not if your idea of AH is limited to Turtledove, Flint, Stirling, etc.

On the contrary: this is a neglected/underemployed form of alternate history. It's a few orders of magnitude better that the novel-style offerings because it's entirely plausible, with data to support the sequence of events and conclusions drawn.

Granted it reads like a college-level history text, but if you're going to present an alternate timeline in detail, this is the correct way to do it.

By the way, the übercorporation stevep was trying to recall was Kramer Associates.

On the contrary: this is a neglected/underemployed form of alternate history. It's a few orders of magnitude better that the novel-style offerings because it's entirely plausible, with data to support the sequence of events and conclusions drawn.

Granted it reads like a college-level history text, but if you're going to present an alternate timeline in detail, this is the correct way to do it.

By the way, the übercorporation stevep was trying to recall was Kramer Associates.

1940LaSalle

Thanks 1940LaSalle. As I say I think its success was highly dubious but that could just be my political bias.:)

Steve

LaSalle- no, it's not necessarily better- it's just different. Yes, I admire it- I forget when I first read it. More years ago than I like to think. But its main problem (in my opinion) is that it covers AH in terms of centuries rather than decades. It leaves the juice out of history.

LaSalle- no, it's not necessarily better- it's just different. Yes, I admire it- I forget when I first read it. More years ago than I like to think. But its main problem (in my opinion) is that it covers AH in terms of centuries rather than decades. It leaves the juice out of history.

It read exactly like a high-school or college level text on North American History.
While it does leave a lot of questions unanswered, it presents the narrative in a complete fashion.

I think this is the best Alternate History book I've read, and I've read more than a few.

KB- I also have read "more than a few" works of AH. Frankly to "read exactly like a high school or college level text" is not to me terms of commendation. In the end, I'm reminded of my favourite quote from THE HORSE'S MOUTH: "It's like farting ANNIE LAURIE through a keyhole. Clever, but is it worth it?" Compared to (in their very different ways) THE IRON DREAM, BRING THE JUBILEE, LEST DARKNESS FALLS, MARCHING THROUGH GEORGIA, A DANGEROUS ENERGY, THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, THE ALTERATION, even 1632 or THE GUNS OF THE SOUTH, it just doesn't rate.

to each their own...everyone has there own opinion on what is good and what isn't, thats what Atl Hist is about

If you guys are desperate, Our Esteemed Host seems to have created a small timeline based on the events of the book. I have it, but I've never had any opportunity (or motivation, really) to read it.

There's also this archive- Over on SHWI there was a group collaberation using the TL and expanding it. Some very good stuff in there if I recall...