Flag Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting...

Under the circumstances you describe though nor California, neither Mexico would be known by their current names...it'd be something Graeco-Latin or even just Graeco-Greek probably :p
Coming up with regional symbols could be tricky too. That wouldn't be much of an issue with the californian flag. If the brown bear is prominent enough in the region it makes perfect sense that the Byzantine colonists might decide to use it as their symbol same as people did OTL.
The same could apply for the Mexican flag. There is a potential for the current CoA to be used as it is since the symbolism behind it goes back to the Tenochitlan people and has squat to do with the Spanish overlordship...

I'm thinking the color scheme would be limited to a combination of yellow, black, white and blue, maybe even a little red/magenta/crimson...for both of them...

You'd also have to juxtapose the double headed imperial eagle somewhere in there...and that would be it more or less...

Hey tell me what you think so far and if you agree with what I just laid here maybe I can give it a shot!

Yes, I'm thinking that the flags should be mostly red and gold - with California having the double-headed Eagle somewhere. Mexico can be just a red-gold version of the OTL flag - since as you said, the symbol dates back to the Aztecs - but California is trickier, I agree.

One more thing: the flags have to look good at the size of 93x64.

Speaking of Mexico but also on an unrelated note, check out this alternate Mexican flag!

Mejico.png

Flag for a monarchistic California, that is a primarily Greek Byzantine colonial successor state? The same for Mexico, if possible.

It's for a Vicky 2 mod, so I'd like help.

Very interesting...

Under the circumstances you describe though nor California, neither Mexico would be known by their current names...it'd be something Graeco-Latin or even just Graeco-Greek probably :p
Coming up with regional symbols could be tricky too. That wouldn't be much of an issue with the californian flag. If the brown bear is prominent enough in the region it makes perfect sense that the Byzantine colonists might decide to use it as their symbol same as people did OTL.
The same could apply for the Mexican flag. There is a potential for the current CoA to be used as it is since the symbolism behind it goes back to the Tenochitlan people and has squat to do with the Spanish overlordship...

I'm thinking the color scheme would be limited to a combination of yellow, black, white and blue, maybe even a little red/magenta/crimson...for both of them...

You'd also have to juxtapose the double headed imperial eagle somewhere in there...and that would be it more or less...

Hey tell me what you think so far and if you agree with what I just laid here maybe I can give it a shot!

Here's a quick one for AltCalifornia - Basileon tes Arktouros.
It's sort of a bear paw with a crown

Arcturus.png

There's still time to enter the Flag Challenge:

Flag Challenge 62: What comes around...

After 3 centuries the mighty Latin Empire of Rhomania has fallen; the Bulgarians have taken the honorary capital Constantinople and the succession is disputed.

Your challenge is to create the flag of one of the Latin successor states.

NB Successors don't have to be exclusive to the Aegean they just need a reasonable connection to the previous Latin Empire. Even OTL Cilicia and Cyprus were technically vassals of the LRE.

THIS CHALLENGE ENDS: 11.59pm GMT Monday 16th January 2012

THE POLL CLOSES: Sunday 22 January 2012

Enter here

And my entry:

The loss of Constantinople was the final blow to the Latin Empire's ruling dynasty in its century decline.
The marriage of Emperor Henry VI de Flanders to Queen Isabella of Thessalonica had seemed to stem the tide against the Bulgarians following the loss of the Empire's Greek and Turkish vassals in Anatolia and his 3 son's marriages to the Princess of Achaea, Duchess of Athens, and Queen of Cilicia-Cyprus appeared to strengthen the family's influence but was merely setting the scene for another bad succession war.
First Henry lost his eldest son and heir Duke Amaury of Naxos - though Amaury had managed to sire 2 daughters and son Henry - leaving the aging Henry with an infant grandson as his heir.
Then his second son William, King of Thessalonica, Duke of Joanina, and Duke of Athens was captured by Laurence of Albania during a raid against Albania's borders and allegedly forced to sell his inheritance rights of the Empire before dying in an escape attempt.
And then his third son Henry, King of Cyprus, King of Cilicia, Prince of Antioch, and Count of Tripoli, became estranged over his support of the Pope-at-Salzburg.

With the fall of Constantinople and death of Henry VI, his grandson Henry VII resumed the throne only to drown a week later in shipping accident.
The Empire was thrown into turmoil as King Henry (son of William) of Thessalonica seized the crown and married his cousin Isabella; King Henry of Cyprus raised his claim to the purple as eldest son of Henry VI; while Laurence IV Tarantino, King of Sicily, King of Albania, Prince of Taranto, claimed the young Princess of Achaea as his imperial bride and thus the Empire by both marriage and bought rights.

Below is Laurence's personal banner as Latin Roman Emperor and bears the Imperial Seal [showing the LRE's role as King of Jerusalem] over the Imperial [Crusader] Cross in his House colours as per imperial tradition for heirs:

LatinEmpireofSicily.png

Is there a tutorial anywhere out there how to make flags wavy?

That's a terrible idea. It makes flag less readable and more hard to modify. If i can tell you an advice, keept your flag untextured.

Furthermore, i'm quite conviced that texture for a flag is only a way to divert attention from possible failures, most of time.

Very interesting...

Mexico could still be something like "Mesikia".

Status
Not open for further replies.