Europa Universalis III

Hungaria and my puppets

Wow that's a old version! But impressive in just under 50yrs

If you purchased it legally, it comes with it naturally. Its part of the exe file.

Trust me on this. Just go to Paradox's forum and ask there. If it doesn't work and you bought it they may even help you get a new one.

Maybe I have to register the game first. Is the folder actually called "screenshots" -- all one word, like that?

Hungaria and my puppets

You must have an older version of the game, since you seem to be missing magistrates. How do you add buildings to provinces?

Last edited:

scholar

Banned
Maybe I have to register the game first. Is the folder actually called "screenshots" -- all one word, like that?
Registering the game on a forum does not effect the game itself. If you want official help you will have to register the game, but you don't have to unless you don't see the folder below.

Here's a screenshot of the game folder when opened:

Help.png

Tom Thumb

Banned
Registering the game on a forum does not effect the game itself. If you want official help you will have to register the game, but you don't have to unless you don't see the folder below.

Here's a screenshot of the game folder when opened:

I am missing that folder as well

Long story short, don't install in Program Files. EVER. FOR ANYTHING. I'm serious. 90% of all issues I have encountered with any game/application/program when helping family/friends/random people is that they installed something in program files in any of the post-XP OSs.

What he said. Now, windows will, automatically, install new programs in the Program Files folder. Which gives nothing but problems. In most games, you lose the screenshot folder AND the saved games folder.

Yes, I know there is some way to set your computer propierties so those folders will work correctly. It probably involves black chickens, goats, dribbly candles and midnight rituals.

So, as a rule, simply create a new folder named "Games" or something and install all your games there.

If I were to create a new folder outside of Program Files and simply move the game files there, would that resolve the problem with not having a screenshots folder, or do I have to uninstall the game and reinstall it in that new folder?

An updated version of my soon to be EU3 Croatia game.

Notes:
The Golden Horde is Catholic and ruled by a Croatian.
Spain is entirely Muslim.
That brown blob in the Middle East is Jerusalem.
England is ruled by a Frenchman of the de Hauteville line, and France by an Englishman of the Percy line.
China, for some reason, is at war with the Golden Horde and another horde, the name of which escapes me.
Iceland is split in half.

Croatia Map.png

Last edited:
I have a question for y'all players of this game. If I have the option to purchase EU3: Chronicles for Mac, should I? (In other words, is it worth the $19.99US I would be paying for it?

I have a question for y'all players of this game. If I have the option to purchase EU3: Chronicles for Mac, should I? (In other words, is it worth the $19.99US I would be paying for it?

If you enjoy grand strategy games then definitely you should. What awaits you if you do? For me it was hours of fun, world conquest, colonization and changing of history. Absolutely essential precondition: HAVE TIME.

Check out Paradox forums. Community is nice and always ready to answer questions. And you might get a feel of gameplay. I am not sure if AAR forum is open for guests. If it is read a few more popular AARs. You should get a decent idea what it is all about.

For those using the latest updates of P-dox games-

Check the "Username > My documents > Paradox Interactive" folder. I noticed this with Victoria 2 AHD and CK2. Haven't tried it with the latest patch for Eu3 yet but they might have moved the directory over to that.

*For clarification: This is related to finding screenshots and mods etc. etc.

Last edited:
I have EU3:Complete from Steam on my Mac. Is there any way for me to edit game files? Or even download and play mods? I can't seem to figure out any way to do either with Steam.

how can you declare war on one of the japanese states cso i cant figure out how to do this reconquest casus belli i got against fujiwawa

If I were to create a new folder outside of Program Files and simply move the game files there, would that resolve the problem with not having a screenshots folder, or do I have to uninstall the game and reinstall it in that new folder?

I think it would resolve the problem, just remember than you will need a new desktop shorcut, as the old one will stop working (open the EUIII file, locate the main eu3 exe application, right click, select "create shortcut", and then move this new shorcut to the desktop)

What he said. Now, windows will, automatically, install new programs in the Program Files folder. Which gives nothing but problems. In most games, you lose the screenshot folder AND the saved games folder.

Yes, I know there is some way to set your computer propierties so those folders will work correctly. It probably involves black chickens, goats, dribbly candles and midnight rituals.

So, as a rule, simply create a new folder named "Games" or something and install all your games there.

No, I don't believe there is some way to make everything work "correctly" except by not using Program Files. But to elaborate a bit more, the underlying issue is that after XP, Microsoft made a major engineering change in how they treated user data. Essentially, in previous OSes, they had generally assumed only one person was going to be using their computer, and just let them scatter data around willy-nilly. However, in Vista and 7, they have instead assumed multiple people will be using the computer, and have centralized all of their data in their "My Documents" folder (or rather, the equivalent; nowadays, the "My Documents" folder is just a subfolder of the "user" folder). Unfortunately, virtually all older programs assume that they can just stick stuff wherever they want, ie. the install folder in Program Files. To compensate, Microsoft came up with a really rather clever solution that essentially tricked said software into thinking that they were putting data in Program Files, while actually storing it in the "user" folder. This generally works fine if you (the user) never need to mess with the data directly, but if you do (like with screenshots)...well, it gets complicated. You can do it, but it's not easy.

Newer games tend to follow Microsoft's model. For instance, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and (of all things) Mount & Blade Warband all store user data in subfolders of "My Documents" rather than sticking them in their install folders. EUIII, however, is not one of those "newer" games, at least not in this sense (perhaps that's different with the latest patches? I don't know, I haven't fiddled with them much recently).