Dies The Fire series - a question

So, I've recently picked up "Dies The Fire", and have greatly enjoyed it, which makes me consider buying the sequels as well (like to read through the entire story, if it makes sense). Before I do that, however, I'd like some honest opinions of the sequels, to know whether or not I should rush out to my nearest book store and wait in line, or perhaps be a bit more cautious.

Note that I am not expecting "War And Peace" here, but a well-written, entertaining post-apocalyptic adventure story with no pretentions at being anything but a fun book to read with an interesting premise, good plot, and great world-building, which is exactly what I got with "Dies The Fire". What I am expecting from the sequels is essentially the same. So, what do you think of "Dies The Fire" sequels? Do you think they will they meet my expectations outlined above?

I am not expecting "War And Peace" here, but a well-written, entertaining post-apocalyptic adventure story with no pretentions at being anything but a fun book to read with an interesting premise, good plot, and great world-building, which is exactly what I got with "Dies The Fire". What I am expecting from the sequels is essentially the same. So, what do you think of "Dies The Fire" sequels? Do you think they will they meet my expectations outlined above?

Yeah. The second book is on par with the first, and the third book is a bit better than the first to, IMHO.

So, I've recently picked up "Dies The Fire", and have greatly enjoyed it, which makes me consider buying the sequels as well (like to read through the entire story, if it makes sense). Before I do that, however, I'd like some honest opinions of the sequels, to know whether or not I should rush out to my nearest book store and wait in line, or perhaps be a bit more cautious.

Note that I am not expecting "War And Peace" here, but a well-written, entertaining post-apocalyptic adventure story with no pretentions at being anything but a fun book to read with an interesting premise, good plot, and great world-building, which is exactly what I got with "Dies The Fire". What I am expecting from the sequels is essentially the same. So, what do you think of "Dies The Fire" sequels? Do you think they will they meet my expectations outlined above?

-- well, I like 'em, but I'm a bit biased... :cool:.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I have to say that the trilogy works very well when read as a group. The ending of Meeting at Corvallis was, it me, a bit of a letdown, but it did allow for an excellent jumping off point for the second trilogy. I fully expect the entire series to be one of the best pieces of AltHistory ever published (and that's with the last two books not even started).

I think I'll pick them up over the weekend then - also, is the first book of the second trilogy out yet?

I just finished The Protectors War yesterday....it was a very good book...little slow at first, but picks up in the middle and end....the end was frustrating but when you know there is another book it's understandable. can't wait to get Meeting at Corvallis

I have been debating between reading Dies the Fire or Peshwar Lancers for my first Striling book. I think DtF is a go after reading the sample chapters on his site. Thanks Joat for the chance to check out the book, it added at least one purchase for you.

I can't start a series without finishing it, so of course I got the next 2! I enjoyed them too, although I would have preferred a different ending for "Meeting". However, it does setup a future series, as mentioned.

I must say the first book was much better than the second, in which considerably less happened and much space was spent telling me what sort of potatoes the Wiccans were eating that day.

Howdy,

I think the 'Dies the Fire' trilogy are THE indispensable AH books of the last ten years. They are fresh, unlike anything done before, admittedly ruthless in what happens to the bulk of civilization, and brilliant in the development of the characters and the growing dynamic. The three principal characters; Juniper McKenzie, Lord Bear, and the Protector of Portland are stark and singular personalities, unlike anything that has come along in a great while. The initial survival of, then the cultural and military development of the competing societies has been facinating, and the developing military campaigns have been the stuff that makes you sit on the edge of your seat and read deep into the night. I have read the preview chapters of the next trilogy with glee, and think I may die before they come out in print. Steve has a great career in heroin sales if he ever wants to go that way :D:D:D:D:D So buy the first trilogy and enjoy. I don't think you will be disappointed.:)

With all of that said, I must say that I admire the work of Harry Turtledove greatly. With the exception of L. Sprague DeCamp's "Lest Darkness Fall", Turtledove introduced me into the world of AH with 'The Guns of the South", but since then his rolling production line of novels has, of late, had a routine sameness that has become, for want of a better word; boring. His "World War" series was brilliant, and I am waiting to see the final outcome of mans engagement with the Race, but Harry has not done anything genuinely new in quite some time. His 'juvenile' series, in the vein of Heinlein and H. Beam Piper are actually better than his current AH monolith. I keep buying the AH books and reading them, but that may end soon...