Challenge: Videogaming in North Korea

Your challenge is to make North Korea a hotspot for videogaming in the same way that the south is OTL, be it by making it go the way of China or vast illegal markets for them spreading up, or something else entirely. Go!

Ming777

Monthly Donor
I can imagine it, large-scale underground movements of people playing starcraft on illegal internet access and staging secret matches.

Kim Jong-il has the creators of Starcraft kidnapped, and forces them to produce a special North Korean edition of the game, with capitalist imperialists instead of Zerg.

Kim Jong-il has the creators of Starcraft kidnapped, and forces them to produce a special North Korean edition of the game, with capitalist imperialists instead of Zerg.

You know, if what they say about Kim's internet savviness is true, I find it disturbingly plausible that he could do this for some sort of birthday present for his children...

I assume that North Korea being part of a unified, democratic (or at least non-Communist, or at minimum non-Juche) Korea from the start doesn't count?

I assume that North Korea being part of a unified, democratic (or at least non-Communist, or at minimum non-Juche) Korea from the start doesn't count?

North doesn't indicate unified.

Didn't say anything about Kims being around though...

Thande

Donor
What about the North Koreans capturing Japanese games consoles during one of their wacky adventures in the 1980s, then reverse-engineering them and using them for military computing? Then, as a side effect, they end up writing their own games and producing cheap copies of the consoles to go in homes: shooters where you destroy the western imperialists, RPGs where you have to go to Baekdu Mountain to witness the birth of the Dear Leader, strategy games where the first player who achieves Juche self-sufficiency is the winner...

Maybe they have a secret team of Starcraft players who play it day and night so they can sneak down to South Korea and then beat them at their National sport.

Your challenge is to make North Korea a hotspot for videogaming in the same way that the south is OTL, be it by making it go the way of China or vast illegal markets for them spreading up, or something else entirely. Go!

You need electricity for videogaming, I don't think that all of North Korea territory had access to electricity, and people who have access to electricity are probably restricted to their use, severals hours a day...

North Korea is a country where it is difficult for people to find to eat, so videogaming !!!

Illegal markets are probably punished by death or by severals years of hard labor in reeducation camps, gulag or concentration camps like...

People risked their lifes for black markets because they need to find something to eat, not for something as videogaming...

If Kim Jong Il follows China's advice in the 80's and reforms the economic system and is able to hold onto power regardless, then we would see the development of internet cafe culture as in today's China. Politics on both sides of the DMZ could keep a unification from happening even as North Korea develops from an absolute shithole to only a relative one. Following that, one could easily see a rivalry emerging between the Koreas in internet gaming.

Another possibility: the North turns to currency farming on WoW as a way to secure foreign tender. I see huge warehouses along the border with China filled with young men fulfilling their years of national military service on the plains of Azeroth.

You need electricity for videogaming, I don't think that all of North Korea territory had access to electricity, and people who have access to electricity are probably restricted to their use, severals hours a day...

North Korea is a country where it is difficult for people to find to eat, so videogaming !!!

Illegal markets are probably punished by death or by severals years of hard labor in reeducation camps, gulag or concentration camps like...

People risked their lifes for black markets because they need to find something to eat, not for something as videogaming...
Reminds me of this:
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2008/09/inside-north-korean-arcade.html

What about the North Koreans capturing Japanese games consoles during one of their wacky adventures in the 1980s, then reverse-engineering them and using them for military computing? Then, as a side effect, they end up writing their own games and producing cheap copies of the consoles to go in homes: shooters where you destroy the western imperialists, RPGs where you have to go to Baekdu Mountain to witness the birth of the Dear Leader, strategy games where the first player who achieves Juche self-sufficiency is the winner...

Or better yet Super Kim!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJRcLtsuq4