Challenge: President Kucinich

The challenge is to make Dennis Kucinich president of the US in either 2004 or 2008 with a POD no earlier than beginning of the GWB administration. Feel free to flush out his election victory with a description of the campaign, debates, party politics, the media, relevant current events, the primaries, his platform, his VP pick, polling data, tales from undecided voters finally making up their minds to vote for or against him, election night, the transition period and his cabinet picks, and maybe some snippets from the conversations of congratulating phone calls from world leaders following his victory. and anything else you can think of too. Kucinich running against GWB in 2004 or McCain or somebody else in 2008 all sound pretty interesting to me. Also feel free to have him run as an independent against both the GOP and the Dems. This may sound like complete ASB with the POD having to be in the 2000s, but that's why it's a challenge... thanks for ur thoughts and comments

Okay, since I live in his district, I'll bite...

This is REALLY ASB. You might actually need two things to happen in order to make it possible. First, you have to make the Iraq War and the Bush administration immensely unpopular. Maybe the war gets botched in an immediate obvious way, or maybe Joe Sixpack wises up to the fact that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.

Second, you're going to need a POD before or during Kucinich's term as mayor of Cleveland. Even if he became a serious contender to the presidency, his opponents would repeatedly bludgeon him with the record of his OTL term as mayor of Cleveland. Cleveland was in dire straits when he became mayor, and he didn't really improve things. His policies and actions as mayor are still very controversial today. Many consider his term as mayor to be a failure.

Sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to hear.

mowque

Banned
Okay, since I live in his district, I'll bite...

This is REALLY ASB. You might actually need two things to happen in order to make it possible. First, you have to make the Iraq War and the Bush administration immensely unpopular. Maybe the war gets botched in an immediate obvious way, or maybe Joe Sixpack wises up to the fact that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.

Draft might work....

Bush dies from illness or accident between 9-11 and the 2004 election and Cheney becomes pres. Kucinich becomes the VP choice of a moderate Dem who sees him as a way to secure his left flank. Said moderate Dem wins in 2004 only to die from accident or illness. Seriously, I can't think of any other non-ASB way, except...

Kucinich marries into incredible wealth rather than his current wife. With enough funding, anything is possible.