[Challenge]Canada annexes USA

With a POD after the ARW, have Canada either in direct control, or through puppets states, control at least 65% of OTL USA

Something unsettling about this :eek: :p ;)

anyway
Perhaps if all the states secede after the confederacy wins…

*Edit*err wait, you say after the ACW? then I don't think you can do that :D ;)

Let's see: No Louisiana purchase (say Napoleon believes he can somehow manage to keep control of his colonial Empire).

Then, with tensions between Britain and the US at its highest points, the peace settlement of 1814, while leaving France within its pre-1789 borders, hands control of Louisiana to Britain.

In the 1870s, British North America is unified under the governor in Ottawa (would it be Ottawa in this TL? Maybe somewhere more southerly)

I'm not sure that gives you 65%, but you could always manufacture some kind of protectorate over California.

Post-ARW? Easy! Get a good limited nuclear exchange, and though Canada will be badly wrecked by radiation it should in theory be able to set up control over the ruined American territories.

Other then that...

Xen

Banned
Lets take Carlton's post one step further

After the War of 1812 in North America, Great Britain is able to force the United States to give up the midwest, so basically Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin become part of Canada.

Also at the same time there is the secession of New England, that becomes temporarily a puppet of Canada perhaps even joining with the threat of the southern US during causing the creation of the Canadian Confederation.

Sometime in the Mid 19th Century a war breaks out between the United States and Britain/Canada, the Canadian army marches south and takes Philadelphia, Maryland and New Jersey as well as upper New York. The United States is forced to give up these territories and all of Pennsylvania in the Treaty of Paris.

The United States moves its capital to Atlanta after Washington becomes Canadian (rechristened Victoria). A desperate United States joins Germany in World War I losing more territory including Virginia and Kentucky. Not wanting to fight another losing war, the United States becomes a puppet of its larger and more powerful Canadian neighbor.

Super55 said:
Something unsettling about this :eek: :p ;)

anyway
Perhaps if all the states secede after the confederacy wins…

*Edit*err wait, you say after the ACW? then I don't think you can do that :D ;)

No, Revolutionary war, not civil war. When the Yanks broke away from the Brits, not when the Yanks broke away from the Yanks :rolleyes:

And thanks Carlton and Xen for showing me it's possible, plausible almost :D Now I don't have to listen to all the other Americans and their professed raging hardons for any time line about America controlling Canada

Redbeard

Banned
PoD after ARW is piece of cake, but after ACW is a challenge - let me try:

After suffering a bloody defeat at Gettysburg the Unions will collapses to let this war go on for ever. An armistice accepting the CSA is concluded, but the Union falls into lasting political turmoil, bordering to civil war.

On the international scene, not at least in UK, the big issue is the ongoing slavery in the CSA, and as the CSA in 1884, intoxicated by the success in the the civil war invades the north "to restore law and order", the international society is outraged, and many people look to the British Empire "to give a lesson to the Slaveowners!". Almost a year and many massacres after the CSA crossed the border to the Union a British lead European Expeditionary Force is landed in Canada and goes south. All over the former Union the Europeans are greeted as liberators, and soon the CSA seeks peace, agreeing to humiliating terms involving abolishing slavery and an International Occupation Force.

In the North nobody really wants to get back to the turbulent years after the civil war, and a amalgation with Canada is agreed upon, but including wideranging autonomy for the new Dominion called "Dominon of Canada, New Foundland and New England" - in short "the Dom".

In the comming decades the relative peaceful times are utilised to develop industry, commerce and culture, while millions of immigrants enter the new territories. Most from Europe but also many from the stagnating south. Soon the decades of USA are a distant past, seen as a shortlived intermezzo in the unstoppable development of the Anglo-Saxon Empire. By early 20th century the King still resides in London, but most agree that the real heartland of the Empire now is the Dom. After the indecisive Great War in Europe the monarchy fell to communist revolts in mainly the British cities, and the Doms used the chance to get full independence, but also used it to get rid of the old akward name. Many proposals for a new name was discussed. "America" was discarded because it was found impropper to name a great country after an obscure Italian sailor, "New England" reminded too much of the arrogant Englishmen, and "New Foundland" was too cold and wet to give any good associations. But "Canada" always had a good feeling stuck to it, and so that it was. Soon the CSA openly talked about joing Canada, which was effectuated in 1933, and they all lived happily on afterwards...

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

See Dr. What, your link set out to be purposefully funny. Mine.... well... those crazies have some intersting views. :p

Wait--hang on--you mean that site isn't satire? :eek:

....smile and nod....don't make direct eye contact...walk slowly away....

opps(again)

Michael said:
No, Revolutionary war, not civil war. When the Yanks broke away from the Brits, not when the Yanks broke away from the Yanks :rolleyes:

And thanks Carlton and Xen for showing me it's possible, plausible almost :D Now I don't have to listen to all the other Americans and their professed raging hardons for any time line about America controlling Canada
oh, sorry. it was pretty late at night ;)

One thing that I should point out is that even if New England successfully seceded from the US during the War of 1812 or a similar conflict, the chances that it would immediately rejoin the British Empire are somewhere between slim and none. Remember, New England was where the American Revolution started. Just because they were pissed that people from Virginia were running the young US doesn't mean that they're going to rush right back to be under British control. Instead, I would see an independent nation that trades a lot with Britain and probably develops fairly good relations with Britain in the long run.

In case you dont know

Michael said:

Also, southerners don’t like to be called yanks("damn Yankees" and such :rolleyes: ), just a heads up :p ;)

*Edit*Honestly, you most know this, but…

Last edited:
Just a visual on the Dom scenario.

United States of Canada.gif