By Dawn's Early Light (HBO movie)

Anyone here seen this movie? It's the last of the World War III thrillers involving nuclear war between the U.S. and the Soviet, and aired on HBO in May, 1990. It was released on VHS in Aug '90, and is also on DVD. Stars Powers Boothe, Rebecca DeMornay (both B-52 pilots), Martin Landau (POTUS), James Earl Jones (Brig. Gen. aboard LOOKING GLASS, later acting CINC-SAC), and Darren McGavin (SecInterior, believed to be POTUS due to a communications breakdown). Back then it was a "what if?" but now, it's alternate history.

Not a DBWI or anything, but feel free to comment about the movie.

I enjoyed the film, especially the "command and control" scenes. The film also had an edge to it that kept my adrenaline going. I had it on disc but have somehow mislaid it.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I thought it was great, had the video and now have the DVD

Also, I loved the names of the actors - Powers Booth and Rip Torn !

Why do you call it an HBO movie?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

One of my favorite End of The World movies. Especially like the performance of James Earl Jones in this film. I think he read alot in the the dialogue of his character that might not have been there otherwise.

It's an HBO movie because it was a made-for cable movie by that network. HBO was the first movie channel to start doing its own movies.

I saw it a long time ago. I thought it worked very well as a thriller, and was plausible. These types of films usually struggle with the long shadow of Doctor Strangelove.

Regards

R

It was Midway that got torpedoed.

There were quite a few plot holes: First, besides the E-4 out of Omaha, there would've been a backup Looking Glass launched (they had a crew always on ground alert ready to go to back up the one already in the air), and this one would've had either CINC-SAC or his deputy-so in this case, the deputy CINC goes airborne. Second, more bombers would've gotten away from their bases. While coastal bases like Fairchild, Castle, Mather, Loring, or Griffiss would've had only one or two bombers get away in this scenario, inland bases (K.I. Sawyer, Minot, Grand Forks, Carswell, etc.) would've had plenty of time to get their alert birds-bombers and tankers both-airborne and away. And the two FB-111 bases (Pease and Plattsburgh) would've easily gotten their alert force (the Varks, anyway) airborne in time before the SLBMs arrive. Third, there would've been fighting in Europe-conventional as well as nuclear.

But still, it's a good movie that has withstood the test of time. And so Rebecca DeMornay does fill out a flight suit very well!