Amtrak: The Road to Recovery

Interesting, Norfolk Southern in '05 produced a study which weighed the CBA on the effect of more passenger rail service on their freight lines for the Keystone West Corridor. Basically they said with major infrastructure upgrades they could get the travel down from about 5.5 hours to about 4 hours for about $110 million. The Interesting thing about this route is that NS paired down Conrail's 4 track route to two. So ROW purchases may not be as difficult in some other areas, esp if we want to get a sealed corridor across the state. Electrification is also an issue, but I think if you can at least get a sealed corridor, you could get competitive automobile speeds.

They're would definitely be something to be said for Amtrak buying a pair of the tracks in places that Conrail and predecessors pare down from four. Assuming that does happen in Pennsylvania I rather suspect that electrification as far as Pittsburgh is almost a given between state interest and the benefit of less than HSR level electrification being much clearer through the mountains than east of Harrisburg. I've honestly always thought that the Harrisburg section seems much more of a failed attempt to reach Pittsburgh than something that made sense on its own (although the PRR would have said otherwise... they definitely talked about electrification to Pittsburgh but always as a seperate projected after Harrisburg was finished).

As an aside, that contemplation leads me to wonder about the potential of a TL that makes more money available between the wars and soon after, but never actually privatizes passenger service... Late era NYC Penn competition with more electrification, properly maintained infrastructure and no hope of abandonment would be something to see.

Last edited:
They're would definitely be something to be said for Amtrak buying a pair of the tracks in places that Conrail and predecessors pare down from four. Assuming that does happen in Pennsylvania I rather suspect that electrification as far as Pittsburgh is almost a given between state interest and the benefit of less than HSR level electrification being much clearer through the mountains than east of Harrisburg. I've honestly always thought that the Harrisburg section seems much more of a failed attempt to reach Pittsburgh than something that made sense on its own (although the PRR would have said otherwise... they definitely talked about electrification to Pittsburgh but always as a seperate projected after Harrisburg was finished).

Slow times west of Harrisburg is half of the reason I take the PA Turnpike (I-76) when I go to Pittsburgh from Lancaster. Taking the train from Lancaster to Philly was only a slight increase in overall time, but with a massive boost of convenience. (Car to Lancaster station, train to 30th Street, Trolley or Blue line to City Hall, Orange line to where I lived in Philly.) The other half is that the turnpike is ****ing beautiful between April and October.

If you electrify it, people will come. The I-70/76 concurrency through the mountains is a royal PITA due to the heavy truck traffic. The way the tolls and gas prices are going up, rail would be very competitive.

Devvy

Donor
1998-2001

The late 1990s were an economic boom for most of the world, and the United States were no exception to this. Rising employment and mobility led to an increased demand for Amtrak passengers both directly and indirectly - increased wealth also lead to more cars, and more cars meant more congestion on road networks which further stimulated demand. It also became known, amongst other changes in Amtrak, as the "Return of the Sleeper". President Clinton's trip on a special Amtrak sleeper service was a major PR coup for Amtrak, and they responded by introducing a network of special point-to-point express services (rather then the traditional stopping service style), allowing fast access between major cities. Advertised as "the quick and convenient" way to travel, they were primarily marketed for business people and wealthy travellers, with it being mostly attractive to travellers who hated the early start for a flight between the cities.

"Presidential" would later become the best known of Amtrak's new sleeper routes, with a service running non-stop in both directions over night between Chicago and Washington DC. The service usually took 12-13 hours, departing from Washington DC at about 8pm (EST), with dinner served on board. Sleeping coaches provided plenty of beds for the travellers, before arriving into Chicago at around 8am (CST) with breakfast served both before and after arrival, to cater for both those travellers who needed to leave immediately upon arrival and those who wanted some extra sleep and would eat after arriving. A similar service "Broadway" linked New York City to Chicago, and a revamped "Chief" service ran from Chicago to Los Angeles (which although it took well over a day, was still timed to depart in the evening and arrive early morning). The Chief service though stopped at a few stations en route, which were timed to fit in with the overall style of being an express sleeper service. "Auto Train" was also subsumed into the sleeper service system, although this train also carried cars from Virginia down to Florida and back.

Couple to this new imagery of Amtrak as the fast way to travel, the first batch of Amtrak's new North East Corridor trains - the Amtrak X2 (from the Swedish X2000; the X2 label was supposed to be reminiscent of the original Swedish model, as well as denoting "twice as comfortable, twice as convenient", although critics said it would be "twice the cost"). Trains spent most of late 1998 in trials up and down the NEC to ensure compatibility, before beginning limited in-service trips between Washington DC and Boston. The introduction of the services was timed at about the same time as a project to extend electrification and thus NEC services further south from Washington, to Newport News and Norfolk, kicked off with negotiations starting between Amtrak and the freight railroads. Passenger levels immediately started to rise, both for trips between the major cities in the north east, and the further improved travel times to the airports, of which BWI Airport, Newark Airport & JFK Airport were all integrated into the Amtrak service.

path.jpg

New York's PATH extensions came into effect in 1999.

mbta.jpg

Boston's MBTA subway had been gradually extended continuously over the years

In California, much of the new segments of rail had been completed; San Francisco / SFO Airport / Sacramento / Fresno / Bakersfield all linked together with quick and modern trains, as well as links improved between Los Angeles / Anaheim / San Diego. Barriers remained though; the Tehachapi Pass remained one of the busiest freight routes in the country. The Pass was only single track and was intensively utilised by the freight railroads, with little ability for Amtrak to co-exist - even if the pass was double tracked. With little option bar using the slow coastal route, it seemed that north and south California would remain very separated for a long time to come.

In the Mid-West, electrification and modernisation of the Chicago - Milwaukee - Minneapolis route was finished by 2000, and with the introduction of X2 trains on to the North East Corridor routes, older AEM7 trains were moved across to the Mid-Western routes. Routes times dropped accordingly, with Chicago - Milwaukee being accomplished in about 1 hour, and Chicago - Minneapolis in about 5 hours, both smashing previous records. Trains would run reasonably consistent stopping pattern of Minneapolis - St Paul - Eau Claire - South Beaver Dam - Milwaukee - ORD Airport - Chicago. While Amtrak would of preferred to extend the train south of Chicago, electrification was not present in order to run the train further on. Passengers, attracted by a comfortable ride on far more modern trains then had plied the route before, started to use the service, with passengers numbers rising; albeit very slowly on the end-to-end route. Passenger levels started to rise far more quickly on the Milwaukee - Chicago section of the route.

By the time 2001 swung around, the State of Wisconsin, was investigating extensions to the system to connect in it's other towns in Green Bay and the Lake Winnebago communities, but this would be turned down by Amtrak "for the foreseeable future". Amtrak's visions for the Mid-West were firmly fixated on the wider electrification of it's network - Chicago to Indianapolis & beyond, and to Toledo & beyond, to attract further passengers with faster and more modern trains. Extensions in Wisconsin sounded great on paper, but unfortunately the market was small and Amtrak's priorities lay elsewhere

fhsr.jpg

Concept art for the Florida High Speed Rail project

In Florida too, changing attitudes led to a constitutional mandate in the State to provide high speed rail, funded by the State. Although private investors had been interested before, actual funding never really materialised and investors never convinced the State of their intention to fund the works themselves. So this time, an agreement with Amtrak meant that the works would largely be funded by the State of Florida, but then fully operated by Amtrak and integrated into their nationwide network. The first phase, a reasonably short stretch, would run from across the reasonably short stretch of St Petersburg / Tampa / Lakeland / Walt Disney World / Orange County Convention Centre / ORD Airport, with a secondary branch from Orange County Convention Centre into central Orlando. The system would then link the large visitor attractions of Walt Disney World and the Orange County Convention Centre with the main airport.

Finally, the closing years of the 1990s were a time when Amtrak was seeking to maximise it's revenue. The so called "Dot Com" bubble led to an explosion in demand for internet traffic, and one which Amtrak would take full advantage of. Amtrak allowed the emerging telecommunication companies to lay cables along it's alignments, saving the companies from having to dig up miles of ground or use above-ground pylons. The companies would pay Amtrak a rental fee per year for the right to access Amtrak land in order to lay and maintain their cables, and the income would prove extra money for Amtrak for little effort. Another development was a continuing discussion with FedEx, who had a regional hub at Newark Airport for the North East. A concept was emerging which would allow FedEx to effectively use Amtrak's existing luggage facilities to convey FedEx deliveries from Newark Airport to the cities along the North East Corridor. If successful, it would see the return of mail services to the US rail network for the first time in years, and a contract was signed in mid 2001 to convey FedEx traffic from Newark Airport to Philadelphia, Baltimore & Washington. The regular Amtrak services along this stretch would allow the "instant" transport of FedEx containers between the airport and cities without needing to wait for a truck heading that way.

-----------------------------
Notes: So the "Amtrak X2" trains (X2000) trains are coming online now along the NEC; times will fall again, especially between New York and Boston thanks to the tilting technology and higher acceleration rates. Might knock up "statistics" and timings for this route in the next chapter.

I'd be happy to hear thoughts on the sleeper services though. They are timed for almost completely overnight trips, with dinner & sleep, then arriving in the destination before the work day starts.

Anyhow, on the Mid-West network, quicker times thanks to the AEM7 locos pulling at 120mph'ish. Much faster....5 hours for Chicago - Minneapolis was a rough guess, but I think it's reasonably realistic - and it beats previous records easily. A little mention about extensions to Green Bay...that'll come in time.

But the big change is now Florida....investors aren't exactly jumping at the high-speed network, so it'll be funded by the State and operated by Amtrak - and thus integrated into Amtrak's network. I'm planning on this being at least similar to the OTL proposals, and you'll notice that the first phase of this TL's HSR is almost identical to that proposed in OTL.

I'm not massively happy with the map quality I can do, but I've tried Scribble maps and it keeps crashing or moving lines that I've worked on after I've done a load. Very frustrating!

I don't really think that the point to point sleepers are realistic...but they seem cool anyways. I also like the mail services along the NEC and think that the x2 is great. The Florida hsr is something I'm on the fence about since it would be more cissy and time effective to just drive from Tampa to Orlando.

I want more Boston stuff. I could see the mbta blue line west into Waltham and ready to Lynn, since both of those are currently proposed.

Will this end in the modern day or continue a bit into the future.

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
Me neither, I equate sleepers to luxury cruising and fine dining holidays rather than business travel, there's no chance of a goodbye nookie from the missus if you're sleeping on the train.

I'd rather sleep in my own bed, get up at sparrowfart and use a company-paid-for car to get me to the airport/HSR station.

Devvy

Donor
I don't really think that the point to point sleepers are realistic...but they seem cool anyways. I also like the mail services along the NEC and think that the x2 is great. The Florida hsr is something I'm on the fence about since it would be more cissy and time effective to just drive from Tampa to Orlando.

I want more Boston stuff. I could see the mbta blue line west into Waltham and ready to Lynn, since both of those are currently proposed.

Will this end in the modern day or continue a bit into the future.

Me neither, I equate sleepers to luxury cruising and fine dining holidays rather than business travel, there's no chance of a goodbye nookie from the missus if you're sleeping on the train.

I'd rather sleep in my own bed, get up at sparrowfart and use a company-paid-for car to get me to the airport/HSR station.

Duly noted! Will remember to mention the sleepers again. Personally I'm on the fence about them; but as a Brit, we don't really have sleepers here at all. Maybe they'll die out later on. ;)

I'm planning on bring it at least as far as 2013 for the present day, and then maybe signing off with a chapter on an overall glance at Amtrak in 2025/2030 or something.

The bit about Florida is that I don't necessarily think it's aimed at Tampa - Orlando traffic itself. It feels more like, and I reckon would be more like (in part from what you say) an MCO Shuttle - to Orlando centre, Tampa, Walt Disney World and Orange Convention Centre. Walt Disney World alone would being a huge amount of passengers if through ticketed from MCO.

Riain

Banned
That's not to say sleepers aren't awesome, they are an integral part of iconic rail holiday journeys, but I lump them together with dome/bar/lounge/restaurant cars on trains like The Ghan and the like.

You're right in pointing out the wish of many people to sleep on the train, but if it saves a hotel bill for a traveller and the train fares are competitive you have a real shot at a piece of that market. The most important part there would be timing, of course, and high quality amenities would be an important aspect of such an overnight train. Comfortable beds, power plugs and internet connections, breakfast in the morning and a smooth ride would be important elements. If your sleeper trains can do this, then you have a real shot at it working. Best market for this is for business travelers who have meetings in the morning, as its not a good option most of the time if you have a business meeting in the morning to fly in on a red-eye flight, and no sane person comes out best after such a flight. For a NY-Chicago route, the flight takes about five hours check-in to climboff, and assuming you want to stay the night, you get to the hotel about 11 or so, which means you have to leave home in the other city late afternoon or early evening.

Now, with the sleeper train, you can spend dinner with the family and then go to the station, and you don't have both the cost of a flight and a hotel bill, and you end up in the same place at the same time in the same condition. To me, that's obviously an appeal, and would be to more than enough people to make the trains profitable if you can make the experience a pleasant one.

Nice update Dev, still waiting on a Keystone centric installment but I'm sure with more successful and timely electrification effort of the Chicago Hub, other states are going to be jumping at the chance to extend the services. Keep it coming bud:D

OTL, the sleeper cars between Boston&NYC at one end and Chicago on the other seem well patronized.

Having used them, I think they have a LOT more appeal than many of you guys seem to think.

OTL, it's too long from either Boston or NYC to Chicago, but with faster trains? Ya, there'd be a LOT of business men taking it. You can sleep all night, work a bit in relative privacy, or in more room in a lounge car, and arrive for your trip rested.

Plus, of course, you have a percentage of the population who have a fear of flying.

Devvy

Donor
You're doing a very good job.

Cheers :D

Nice update Dev, still waiting on a Keystone centric installment but I'm sure with more successful and timely electrification effort of the Chicago Hub, other states are going to be jumping at the chance to extend the services. Keep it coming bud:D

Might do a little roundup on the situation up and down the NEC soon, although I'm also just starting on the next chapter as well which is mainly focussed on 9/11 and the aftermath.

I agree completely. I envision the Blue Line being extended to Waltham too.

Waltham? Isn't that way out in the west of Boston? The only proposed extensions for the Blue Line I've seen have been extending it northwards into Lynn? Can you

OTL, the sleeper cars between Boston&NYC at one end and Chicago on the other seem well patronized.

Having used them, I think they have a LOT more appeal than many of you guys seem to think.

OTL, it's too long from either Boston or NYC to Chicago, but with faster trains? Ya, there'd be a LOT of business men taking it. You can sleep all night, work a bit in relative privacy, or in more room in a lounge car, and arrive for your trip rested.

Plus, of course, you have a percentage of the population who have a fear of flying.

You're right in pointing out the wish of many people to sleep on the train, but if it saves a hotel bill for a traveller and the train fares are competitive you have a real shot at a piece of that market. The most important part there would be timing, of course, and high quality amenities would be an important aspect of such an overnight train. Comfortable beds, power plugs and internet connections, breakfast in the morning and a smooth ride would be important elements. If your sleeper trains can do this, then you have a real shot at it working. Best market for this is for business travelers who have meetings in the morning, as its not a good option most of the time if you have a business meeting in the morning to fly in on a red-eye flight, and no sane person comes out best after such a flight. For a NY-Chicago route, the flight takes about five hours check-in to climboff, and assuming you want to stay the night, you get to the hotel about 11 or so, which means you have to leave home in the other city late afternoon or early evening.

Now, with the sleeper train, you can spend dinner with the family and then go to the station, and you don't have both the cost of a flight and a hotel bill, and you end up in the same place at the same time in the same condition. To me, that's obviously an appeal, and would be to more than enough people to make the trains profitable if you can make the experience a pleasant one.

We'll leave the sleeper debate open for the moment...suffice to say Amtrak is running them at the moment, what happens in the future with them and the patronage is a topic we can revisit when I have some firmer thoughts about them! :)

I don't really think that the point to point sleepers are realistic...but they seem cool anyways.

India has those, collectively called the "Duronto Express", which to me are pretty neat. Note the journey times in the Wiki page - many of these are overnight sleepers. There will still be a place for the regular sleepers in the new Amtrak, of course - the Duronto equivalents are meant to compete with the airlines, IIRC. (And there's also the Spanish/Portuguese/French Trenhotel HSR service, as I had noted a while back.)

The Florida hsr is something I'm on the fence about since it would be more cissy and time effective to just drive from Tampa to Orlando.

NothingNow is going to choke you if he reads that. ;)

I agree - I like the expansions of the subway; would be interesting to see how the Commuter Rail progresses - and, just as important, the Commuter Ferries. (Yes, for those not familiar with the MBTA system, the T operates commuter ferries.)

Waltham? Isn't that way out in the west of Boston? The only proposed extensions for the Blue Line I've seen have been extending it northwards into Lynn? Can you

Yes, it's been proposed for a while now. It's not really that far out from Boston, though, so it's doable. (Geez, is it me or is the MBTA subway - which would now be properly called MBTA Rapid Transit in TTL - turning into a variation of CityRail? If so, that is definitely cool IMO.)

We'll leave the sleeper debate open for the moment...suffice to say Amtrak is running them at the moment, what happens in the future with them and the patronage is a topic we can revisit when I have some firmer thoughts about them! :)

Makes sense. As always, I've quite a few ideas (as you've probably already noted).

Devvy

Donor
I agree - I like the expansions of the subway; would be interesting to see how the Commuter Rail progresses - and, just as important, the Commuter Ferries. (Yes, for those not familiar with the MBTA system, the T operates commuter ferries.)

Ask and ye shall receive. I've wrestled with Scribble Maps:

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/TRTRBoston1998

Black: "New England Commuter Rail"
Blue/Red/Orange/Green "MBTA Subway" (and in case of Blue and Green, proposed extensions shown in lighter colour)

You might want to try Quantum GIS. It means wrestling with a full GIS package and the pain that goes along with it, but at least it doesn't have all the bad habits of Scribble Maps. I can't think of it's name off hand but there is a plugin that makes base maps a one click operation and you get proper layouts out of it...

Devvy

Donor
You might want to try Quantum GIS. It means wrestling with a full GIS package and the pain that goes along with it, but at least it doesn't have all the bad habits of Scribble Maps. I can't think of it's name off hand but there is a plugin that makes base maps a one click operation and you get proper layouts out of it...

Cheers - will take a look.

Also:

New York City Transit

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/TRTRPATH2000

Black: "Trans-Hudson Commuter Rail"
Blue: "PATH System"

:)

Also, another great update, Devvy. I'm once again impressed.

Glad you're enjoying it :D

Cheers :D

Might do a little roundup on the situation up and down the NEC soon, although I'm also just starting on the next chapter as well which is mainly focussed on 9/11 and the aftermath.

Not a debate just an idea. Make sleeping arrangements like the airlines do on most of the Pacific routes. Also this is great story.