America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

If Askew is elected President in 1988 over John B. Anderson in a likely landslide what would happen in 1992? Would Askew be re-elected or be defeated like George H. W. Bush in our timeline? Will the economy slip into a recession in the early 1990s in this timeline? When will the Soviet Union fall in this timeline (still 1991 or any earlier/later)? If Askew manages to get re-elected which Republican will have a good shot at winning in 1996? With four consecutive Democratic terms in office the Republicans will definitely manage a major comeback but the question is with who? Jack Kemp, John McCain, Colin Powell, Bob Dole? Those are just a few names off the top of my head. I just really want to know because I want Al Gore elected in 2000 in this timeline. Imagine how cool it would be if this timeline ended up turning into For A Gore Prosperous Tomorrow!

I believe you mean Speaker of the House not Majority Leader. And also Tip O'Neill retired from Congress in the 1986 midterm elections. He was succeeded as Speaker by House Majority Leader Jim Wright, a Texas Democrat. The House Majority Leader who succeeded Wright was Tom Foley of Washington. Speaker Wright resigned in June 1989 due to a House Ethics Committee investigating compensation that he and his wife had received. Foley succeeded him as Speaker and was replaced as Majority Leader by Missouri Congressman and Chair of the House Democratic Caucus Dick Gephardt. Just some basic information about past US House leadership. Just FYI

Yeah though Tip retired in 1987 and he cold probably wait a couple more years here before doing so

If Askew is elected President in 1988 over John B. Anderson in a likely landslide what would happen in 1992? Would Askew be re-elected or be defeated like George H. W. Bush in our timeline? Will the economy slip into a recession in the early 1990s in this timeline? When will the Soviet Union fall in this timeline (still 1991 or any earlier/later)? If Askew manages to get re-elected which Republican will have a good shot at winning in 1996? With four consecutive Democratic terms in office the Republicans will definitely manage a major comeback but the question is with who? Jack Kemp, John McCain, Colin Powell, Bob Dole? Those are just a few names off the top of my head. I just really want to know because I want Al Gore elected in 2000 in this timeline. Imagine how cool it would be if this timeline ended up turning into For A Gore Prosperous Tomorrow!
You're making alot of assumptons here that I need to dispell.

Things are becoming more and more radically different. It's already far off from ever becoming Gore Prosperous Tomorrow , antnnot just because the US has universal healthcare now much sooner.

This is becoming more and more different from OTL and that is the point. The 1980s was a major turning point in US politics and history, with many of the established norms and state of being because of the Reagan 80s and Clinton 90s. That won't be the case here.

And ya'll need to reember that because alot of the names aren't gonna rise up like we know em.

1986- The Brass Age of Comics: DC Comics Post-Crisis
1986- The Brass Age of Comics: DC Comics Post-Crisis

1986 would become the first year of what cultural historicans, mainly those in pop culture, would refer to as the beginnning of the Brass Age of Comic Books. Following up on the work of the Bronze Age, the Brass Age continued and refined the elements that began with the Bronze Age, such as the greater frequency of more serious subject matter, a greater focus of character writing and motivation and overall more general polish and beauty. Many note that it contained elements of both the previous Bronze and Silver Ages, but refined to where it was like a second Golden Age or as someone put it, a more practical Golden Age, in keeping with the metal theming.

The Udall Administration's increasing frequency of reforms, the growing cultural shift into neo-progressism and acceptance and tolerance of SATMIN folk and the increase of technology was a prominent influence on the shift from the Bronze Age to the Brass Age. It reflected a newborn optimism and hope within the people and the medium. As such, it would embolden people to push further with what they can change and do. Perhaps this is why they went further with Crisis on Infinite Earths, originally done to try and shrink down the multiverse though later clarifications yers down the line would note the multiverse was instead reset and being "rediscovered", with much of the old stories being apocryphal to say the least. This would be best seen with the establishment of some new Earths, such as the main Earth-1, Earth-2 (where the Justice Society of America never retired and would lead to the rise of Infinity Inc), etc

Many of the prominent characters would come back, some with new faces and opportunities, especially with the growing influx of talent. Here is a list of some of the changes and hints that DC released in the year to detail what would be coming:

Superman: Superman would undergo a subtle yet prominent change. While his prior form had him be the alien from the start, Post-Crisis emphasized that he considers Earth his hime fist and foremost along with his journey into discovering his Kryptonian hertiage. It also began doing more in humanizing him and some of his struggles along with how Clark represents who he really is. It would also focus more on his friendship with the folks of Smallville, his bond with Ma and Pa Kent and so on. Many have noted that some inspiration of Mo Udall and Reubin Askew in a few moments. One prominent note was that he no longer appeared to have been influenced by the Legion of Superheroes as well as the issue of Superboy though they did confirm this would be addressed in the oncoming years.

Supergirl: It was originally rumored that Supergirl was going to be rewritten to no longer be Kryptonian to ensure Superman as "last Kryptonian" status, but that did not occur. Many believed that this was due to third wave feminism becoming prominent enough to maintain her impotance. Despite concerns on how to write her, the approach was that while she would act somewhat like a younger sister to her cousin, it was also her coming into her own. Unlike Clark, she had memories of Krypton and her parents, but also trying to find herself. As one writer would note: "If Clark was the country boy going to the big city, then Kara was the city girl going to the country", her having her own adventures, coming to terms with her new home and the like.

Batman: Unsurprisingly, Batman would become "darker and more grounded" to reflect the nature of crime along with some of the troubles of the time, especially with how issues relating to the mob were changing. That said, many would appreciate seeing Batman start from the trumatized boy to the driven man he is. Despite shifting back to the darker tones and reflecting on some of the brutal aspects, it did not become too dark or grim as many noted that Batman is as much as a symbol of hope like Superman and Wonder Woman. The Villains are somewhat more grounded and reflecting some of the aspects of human nature. Beyond the villainous Joker, others have been rising and getting reinventions, such as Poison Ivy aka Lillian Rose, focusing on her botany background and poisons. One note was on people trying to figure out what would be done over with Jason Todd, as he did not seem to fit too well and was becoming increasing troublesome and ruthless, cementing him as the trouble child of the Bat family...

Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman changed significantly because of third-wave feminism and the growing normalization of SATMIN folk unsurprisingly, especially with the help of folks like George Perez. One aspect was sticking closer to the mythology, especially as more of the writers and aides read up on them thanks to the library. Diana would be implied to be multi though not really shown (it would be noted that this was because she was royalty and they wanted to focus on developing an actual relationship between her and Steven Trevor, noting how a postive and affectionate relationship would work well). Another interesting aspect tackled was on their backstory. When reading up on myth and discovering Heracles being multi himself, it was decided that the character wouldn't be antagonistic and delegated more to a trainer of Diana. Rumors circulated that Heracles was considered on being Diana's actual father (mainly since the myths noted his and Hippolyta's relationship was quite positive until Hera got involved) though they decided against it, joking he'd be more like her "long-lost uncle" instead. Interestingly enough, Diana would later gain a "father" of sorts in none other than Prometheus. According to urban legend, it was part of a bet on making Diana a demigoddess and have it fit. Given how Prometheus was the creator of humanity and a protector, him being the one to help Hippolyta make Diana made perfect sense as well as being a source of her power (being a demititaness) and how she stood out from the others. This would work quite well since given how Prometheus already created humanity in a sense, Diana would be viewed as a form of pinnacle and then some, with one aide joking she was made to be humanity's watchful big sister.

Green Lantern: Hal Jordan became the focus as Alan Scott was given a different origin of sorts yet still connected to the Lanterns. However, beyond Hal though, John Stewart was given equal prominence and it became a fascinating mix of cosmic adventures and police procedures. Perhaps the biggest news however would be the upcoming introduction and teasing of a future 4th lantern. The first female lantern known as Kimiyo Hoshi, an illustrator who despite her nervousness, overcomes it to become a Green Lantern in the neat future.

Others: Many of the other characters have been getting planned successors or also arranged to be fleshed out. One was on Barry Allen and fleshing him out to be a more prominent heart despite his forensic background. Another major one was on the fate of the Atom. The second Atom, Ray Palmer, would shrink himself to save everyone with his new home seemingly disappearing (though hints reveal that he may have survived and shrunk to such as a subatomic level as to avoid troubles.) However, his final note would reveal a new model of his suit, being a bit like power armor to his former assistant, Enrichetta Negrini, resulting in her becoming the third Atom.

The Justice Society of America remains, though as retired old veteran heroes (with their Earth-2 counterparts being those who remained prominent after the war and changing history) while the Freedom Fighters were shifted around. The Seven Soldiers would be formed later and retroactively be an influence on Olive Queen/Green Arrow being returned to his archeologist roots though also with being a former soldier who's heavy left-leanings were the result of seeing the horrors of war. Some new characters were also seen.

Originally planned to have animal powers, the first Afrcian superheroine Mari Macabe aka the Vixen would be reintroduced to have the superpower of plant manipulation to balance her with her introduction to her old friend Animal Man. One other future character was on a woman from the future becoming a heroine known as Goldstar, inspired by her older brother, Booster Gold, who was originally planned to be the focal character, but decided instead to be more her partner in dealing with superhero matters. Speaking of the future, the Legion of Superheroes would be confirmed to be indefintie hiatus, namely since one writer noted that with so much going on, alot could be rendered dated and so they'e wanting to establish all the new and present stuff first.

You're making alot of assumptons here that I need to dispell.

Things are becoming more and more radically different. It's already far off from ever becoming Gore Prosperous Tomorrow , antnnot just because the US has universal healthcare now much sooner.

This is becoming more and more different from OTL and that is the point. The 1980s was a major turning point in US politics and history, with many of the established norms and state of being because of the Reagan 80s and Clinton 90s. That won't be the case here.

And ya'll need to reember that because alot of the names aren't gonna rise up like we know em.
Sorry CountDVB I just like both you timelines a lot and was hoping a little bit for a corssover but it doesn't matter. I can't wait to see what you have in store for this timeline and again I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions and making too many assumptions.

Sorry CountDVB I just like both you timelines a lot and was hoping a little bit for a corssover but it doesn't matter. I can't wait to see what you have in store for this timeline and again I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions and making too many assumptions.
Crossover wouldn't make sense. But yeah, times are changing and alot of the stuff is rooted in the 1980s. Bit by bit, the new norms aremaking their way in.

Yup, see if you recognize a couple of the names and ask questions over TTL DC Comics Post-Crisis of the late 1980s! :D

By the way what is Star Wars like ITTL?
Not much if any changes yet I predict though 20th Century Fox who made the films is owned by Metromedia so I imagine George Lucas will have their dealings with them in the next couple decades o Star Wars stuff.

Not much if any changes yet I predict though 20th Century Fox who made the films is owned by Metromedia so I imagine George Lucas will have their dealings with them in the next couple decades o Star Wars stuff.
Hopefully we got more Star Wars cartoons like the Driod and Ewok ones.
Maybe a Boba Fett one or a young Obi Wan Kenobi one based on the original background story from the New Hope era?