American Auto Racing Championships

Introduction
1979: The USAC rebrands itself into the American Auto Racing Championships, or the AARC, in partnership with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This agreement makes the AARC the only league that is allowed to run the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, and gives IMS a permanent home with a league.

Welcome to the history of the AARC. Here, we will discuss the premier open wheel racing series in the United States. Due to the creation of a series with the speedway, the Split does not happen, and there is only one series.

We begin in 1996, the first year of two series IOTL.

Next up: 1996 AARC Driver Lineup

Last edited:
I did the same in the Think It Over thread in which the CART-IRL Split never happened so good luck and I'm looking forward to it!

1996 Driver Lineup
Only Playoff drivers are listed (Yes, the series develops a 16 car, 4 race playoff).

Brahma Motorsports
Sponsor: Brahma
Reynard Ford

#1: Raul Boesel

Malboro Team Penske
Sponsor: Malboro
Penske Mercedes

#2: Al Unser, Jr
#3: Tony Stewart

Target/Chip Ganasi Racing
Sponsor: Target
Reynard Honda

#4: Alex Zanardi
#12: Jimmy Vasser

Walker Racing
Sponsor: Valvoline
Reynard Ford

#5: Robby Gordon
#15: Scott Goodyear

Newman/Hass Racing
Lola Ford

Texaco-Havoline #6: Michael Andretti
Budweiser #11: Christian Fittipaldi

Hall Racing
Sponsor: Pennzoil
Reynard Honda

#8: Gil de Ferran

Hogan Penske Racing
Sponsor: Mobil 1
Penske Mercedes

#9: Jan Magnussen

Bettenhaussen Motorsports
Sponsor: Alumax
Reynard Mercedes

#16: Stefan Johansson

Team Rahal
Reynard Mercedes

Miller #18: Bobby Rahal
Shell #28: Bryan Herta

Patrick Racing
Sponsor: Firestone
Lola Ford

#20: Scott Pruett

PDM Racing
Sponsor: Goodyear
Lola Toyota

#19: John Paul, Jr.

Next up: AARC Playoff System

Last edited:
AARC Playoff System
The AARC has a 4 race, 16 car Playoff that must include: 1 Oval, 1 Street Circuit, 1 Road Course, and 1 track of any type.

Round 1: 16 drivers, Road/Street/Oval
Round 2: 12 drivers, Road Course
Round 3: 8 drivers, Street Circuit
Round 4: 4 drivers, Oval 500 miler (so completing the 500 triple crown makes you champion)

Next up: 1996 Schedule

1996 Schedule
The 1996 AARC Schedule

1: Malboro Grand Prix of Miami: Homestead-Miami Speedway, Homestead, FL; 200 laps, 300 miles
2: Bank of America 300: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA; 84 laps, 187.89 miles (302.57 km)
3: Gold Coast Indy 300: Surfers' Paradise Street Street Circuit, Surfers' Paradise, Queensland, Australia; 65 laps, 181.61 miles (292.272 km)
4: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach: Streets of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA; 105 laps, 166.95 miles
5: Bosch Spark Plug Grand Prix: Nazareth Speedway, Nazareth, PA; 200 laps, 189.2 miles
6: 80th Indianapolis 500: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Speedway, IN; 200 laps, 500 miles
7: Miller 200: Milwaukee Mile, West Alis, WI; 200 laps, 206.4 miles
8: ITT Automotive Detroit Grand Prix: The Raceway at Belle Isle Park, Detroit, MI; 77 laps, 161.7 miles
9: Budweiser/G.I. Joe's 200: Portland International Raceway, Portland, OR; 98 laps, 191.1 miles
10: Medic Drug Grand Prix of Cleveland: Burke Lakefront Airport, Cleveland, OH; 95 laps, 200.07 miles
11: US 500: Michigan International Speedway, Brooklyn, MI: 250 laps, 500 miles
12: Molson Indy 300: Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; 103 laps, 183.34 miles (295.057 km)

Playoffs:
13: Malboro 300: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH; 83 laps, 186.75 miles (300.544 km)
14: Texaco/Havoline 200: Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI; 50 laps, 202.4 miles
15: Houston Indy 100: Streets of Houston, Houston, TX: 100 laps, 152.7 miles
16: California 500: California Speedway, Fontana, CA: 250 laps, 500 miles

Next: Season begins!

A POD that far back, (assuming Dan Gurney's White Paper doesn't gain traction), and a butterfly net that has such a similar lineup that even Boesel has his #1 Brahama in 96? (Where the #1 was only vacant because Jacques Villeneve left Forsythe-Green for Williams after his title?)

@TheMann and I have done some open wheel TL's here before. You might want to take a look at them and some of our source material to further flesh this out.

Laguna Seca in the spring is just...wrong BTW.

Weather is good in CA, and I don't want Laguna Seca in the playoffs cause that would mean 2 California Races.

Remember, the IRL was only 3 races that year IOTL, so huge butterflies in the 97 season, adding more drivers from both sides.

Grand Prix of Miami; Points System
In the first race of 1996, Jan Magnussen takes the pole and dominates, leading about 2/3rds of the race, but strategy is his failure. As he runs out of fuel on the final lap, Scott Pruett takes the lead, wins the race, and secures himself a spot in the Playoffs.

There will always be 33 drivers or less in a race, unless there is enough to fill a full row at the crown jewels (Indy, Long Beach, other 2 500s). Points go 33-32-31 etc, and 1 point for pole and 1 for most laps led.

DEAD THREAD

I am not that huge into this, so I am killing the thread. Sorry everyone if you wanted this, I just can't think of Indycar ideas. Sorry.