Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 4

to quote the great John Hurt - oh no, not again ;)
I was thinking Brenda from Bristol

for non britons there is a clip of an elderly woman asked about an upcoming snap general election in 2017 replying “ you are joking, not another one oh for gods sake, I can’t stand this”

Last edited:
Well more like aided in battle but yes. Being a penitence quest for General Stuart.
Well it was called "The Haunted Tank".
Stuart was kind of a spiritual guide if I recall, I remember one comic where a Tiger tank was haunted by the ghost of Attila the Hun, neither ghost really did anything except trade some trash talk.

All of the early postwar French guns had been designed with full bore AP (usually BC or CBC) in mind because it was thought APDS and good HEAT would take too long to develop given the sorry state of postwar French industry (in spite of men like Edgar Brandt already having good experience on the matter). There were R&D projects for HVAP (simpler problem than APDS) in the late 40's/early 50's which are not well-known, followed by APDS in the mid-late 50s we at least have a picture of.
View attachment 888648

War Thunder enthusiasts apparently found very early HVAP stuff:
View attachment 888649View attachment 888650
APFSDS for the 75mm was finally done by Singapore in the form of the Spider in the 80s.
This is a collector-example of the Edgar Brandt company 75mm APDS with magnesium-aero-capped 57.5mm tungsten carbide core-slug, that was unsuccessfully pitched to the French Army in early 1940.

All of the collector examples of this round are from a prototype/test/sales production run done by Brandt.

The proposed first application of this round was to be 75mm guns in the Mle 1897 family, for which several AT versions had been developed for second-class defensive use, i.e. 9th Army and so forth. With this round, a Mle 1897 gun that fired a standard full-caliber 75mm AP round using normal artillery propellant at a muzzle velocity of about 625 m/sec, instead achieved 900 m/sec. This gave the gun the power to penetrate any then-known German tank armor out to at least 1500 meters.

However, new gunsight reticles would have been needed, and considerable re-training. And, as a completely new ammo type, there would have been significant logistical complications. There may have been a recognition on the part of the French high command that their logistical system was already incapable of getting ammo where it was needed in dynamic circumstances...as the events of the forthcoming May were to prove...so any new complexity would only make things worse. In any case, Brandt did not make the sale.

Brandt also proposed to the French army that he would produce APDS rounds for the long 47mm...the first-class AT gun. As far as I know, no prototype/test/sales production run of that shell caliber occurred. No sale resulted.

Brandt20sabot20001.jpg

Brandt20sabot20003.jpg

Brandt20sabot20002.jpg

Brandt20sabot20005.jpg

Stuart was kind of a spiritual guide if I recall, I remember one comic where a Tiger tank was haunted by the ghost of Attila the Hun, neither ghost really did anything except trade some trash talk.
And it's in general making me imagine what kind of other hastily assembled Frankenstein tanks could be built.

I remember that comic. My uncle gave me a huge chest of his old comics when I was a kid in the 80's

The only early war French tank with enough room in the turret to fit the recoil of a German full-length 75mm gun would have been the not-ready-for-prime-time G1R.

Matilda wouldn't fit a six pounder, let alone a 75mm.

The only early war French tank with enough room in the turret to fit the recoil of a German full-length 75mm gun would have been the not-ready-for-prime-time G1R.

Matilda wouldn't fit a six pounder, let alone a 75mm.
How about a Matilda 2 Tank hunter with a fixed all round gun shield and a 6 pounder?
So more or less a British Panzerjager1, though that would more properly use a 6E chassis.
I don't think it's a good idea, but might be an interesting exercise to see what does and doesn't work.

How about a Matilda 2 Tank hunter with a fixed all round gun shield and a 6 pounder?
So more or less a British Panzerjager1, though that would more properly use a 6E chassis.
I don't think it's a good idea, but might be an interesting exercise to see what does and doesn't work.
I copied an old post of mine from Thread 2.

Matilda%2Bkwk%2B002%255B1%255D.jpg

Captured Matilda II, which I've seen wrongly described as being in the desert. Pintle mounted KwK 38 L/42. I've got the same picture somewhere else - I think it's with a coastal defence unit somewhere in northern France.

I copied an old post of mine from Thread 2.

Matilda%2Bkwk%2B002%255B1%255D.jpg

Captured Matilda II, which I've seen wrongly described as being in the desert. Pintle mounted KwK 38 L/42. I've got the same picture somewhere else - I think it's with a coastal defence unit somewhere in northern France.
Great find.

The Matilda II chassis is a bit of a mismatch regarding weight, complexity and mobility, with a splinters-and-bullets-only shield atop. Plus, having only one or two such chassis, anything you develop has a relatively large engineering and mechanic/armorer investment per combat unit produced. And, it'd be too few units to justify tooling up spare parts, so maintenance and repairs would be difficult at best.

Much better to use something of which you have much greater numbers...as Becker did with the Jagdpanzers.

OTL, there were quite a few Universal Carriers captured, along with a fair number of Lorraine 37/38 (already grabbed by Becker). Nothing else from 1940 was a good candidate--the Hotchkiss 35/39 chassis was a poor design for such conversions, being underpowered and unreliable. The Renault 35/40 was underpowered and, suspension-wise, not capable of much speed. The B tanks were way obsolete in regard to some of their mechanics, and way over-complicated in others, plus they were just too tall. The S tanks were the best candidates for gut-and-rebuild conversion, but their turrets and hull openings were too small for simple re-gunning as a tank.