Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed it is. Cadillac even offered the Stingray turret as a stand-alone upgrade for various AFVs including the M41 so the Black Prince is pretty close to what might actually have been on offer to those interested. Not sure if any countries actually bought into the program.

As far as I know, Thailand is still the only user of the Stingray, but they went for the whole vehicle. Nobody went for the option of getting the turrets for their M41s, even if several different companies and countries made 90mm versions.

Last edited:
I thought I had done something similar but with a different 5" gun and an earlier hull...

View attachment 602844

...and here you go with the M40 hull mounting a 5" L/38 naval rifle - as with just about all naval guns, they are not small!

View attachment 602845
taraget firing after gun-oiler, USS Cacapon.4-52.jpg

cleaning 5' after gunonoiler Cacapon 4-53.jpg

Meant to find and post this earlier. It makes your point quite well about size. USS Cacapon off Korea, April 1952 from my Dad's old slides (just hitching a ride as a Marine). My guess is that the German 128mm is more compact than this at least what they put in the Jagdtiger. Bearing in mind the size problem and a certain drop in ROF - how effective a weapon do you think the M40A3 would be (great work up BTW as always)?

Armor pen per NavWeapons is 5" at 4000 yards, muzzle velocity 2500-2600 fps with a full charge and at least average gun life - certainly not a nice time on the receiving end.

View attachment 605224
View attachment 605230
Meant to find and post this earlier. It makes your point quite well about size. USS Cacapon off Korea, April 1952 from my Dad's old slides (just hitching a ride as a Marine). My guess is that the German 128mm is more compact than this at least what they put in the Jagdtiger. Bearing in mind the size problem and a certain drop in ROF - how effective a weapon do you think the M40A3 would be (great work up BTW as always)?

Armor pen per NavWeapons is 5" at 4000 yards, muzzle velocity 2500-2600 fps with a full charge and at least average gun life - certainly not a nice time on the receiving end.

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. As for the M40A3, it would probably be too big and powerful for the job at hand in the AT role. Something smaller with a higher ROF would be more efficient. However, if you wanted a SP coastal defence gun then the M40A3 is just your boy. 👍😉

yeah 126 tonnes is going to wreck roads
the tracks looks double as wide as the original, so half of the groundpressure as otl.
the original tracks looked like a slightly scaled up version of the kettenrad tracks, this layout looks a lot more appropriate

edit: i did a guestimate of the tracksurface on the ground (about 8 m²) which results in a ground pressure of 1,58 kg/cm² (Leo2 = 0,86, M1A2 =1,09)

which really isn't that bad agri tractors have a groundpressure (on the tires) of 0,2-0,35Mpa (2- 3,5kg/cm²)

Last edited:
yeah 126 tonnes is going to wreck roads
the tracks looks double as wide as the original, so half of the groundpressure as otl.
the original tracks looked like a slightly scaled up version of the kettenrad tracks, this layout looks a lot more appropriate

edit: i did a guestimate of the tracksurface on the ground (about 8 m²) which results in a ground pressure of 1,58 kg/cm² (Leo2 = 0,86, M1A2 =1,09)

which really isn't that bad agri tractors have a groundpressure (on the tires) of 0,2-0,35Mpa (2- 3,5kg/cm²)

Cool beans! 👍 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.