Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any step by step guides on creating the Infoboxes with pictures in plain albeit dumb English? I would love to try to create some but not to sure where to start (I'm guessing by making a wiki account so I can upload pictures etc)

Really it's just playing around with the source codes for templates in your sandbox. You can't really upload your own pictures. I add those in in Paint afterwards.

Here is the first in a new series of Election Boxes that i am planning.

American Commonwealth Election 2010.png

Beginning of an EOI premiers' series. Ontario's Tory premier Scott Barton has set 3 records: first premier to serve non-consecutive terms, first openly gay premier, longest-serving PC leader. He has been a nemesis of Liberal Prime Minister Bob Rae since they were both young lawyers in the 1970s. Barton, a real estate lawyer by profession and heir to a sporting goods fortune, was first elected to the legislature for his native York-Simcoe in 1981. He stood out among his fellow freshman as a fearsome debater and skilled organizer, becoming parliamentary secretary in 1983. Never close to Davis, Barton enthusiastically campaigned for fellow Blue Tory Frank Miller in the 1985 leadership race. When Miller narrowly won, he appointed Barton to Cabinet as Minister of Municipal Affairs. In that role Barton helped negotiate several mergers and financial aid agreements, but his dream of a Toronto megacity was quashed by Miller in 1987. When the Big Blue Machine succumbed to Lyn McLeod's Grits in 1989, Barton ran for leader. His own grassroots connections and a unified Blue wing delivered a narrow 3rd ballot victory in June 1990. Barton's brash charisma was a sharp contrast with both McLeod and NDP leader Peter Winkle, to say nothing of his PC predecessors. His populist "Citizens Charter" proved a hit with working class and suburban voters tired of McLeod's constant policy equivocations or flip-flops. Barton's support of Liberal attempts at public sector restraint helped send left-wing Liberals to the NDP, and by 1992 Barton held a double-digit lead over the hapless McLeod. The following year he publicly came out, ending a long-known open secret in Ontario politics. There was open speculation that Ontario was not ready for a gay premier, which proved to be groundless. With a terminal political situation, McLeod delayed the election to spring 1994. The Tories held a nearly 20-point lead which they never relinquished. On election night Barton won a landslide unseen since the Frost-Robarts era: 87 of 131 seats and 46.7% of the popular vote to 23 NDP and 21 Liberals. He had pledged a balanced budget in his first term, and by 1997 massive spending cuts combined with public sector downsizing and renewed growth had returned Ontario to black. It came at a price: Barton's planned personal tax cuts had to wait for his second term. Another major project, the Toronto megacity, was enacted as 1997 dawned despite opposition filibusters. Among his fellow premiers, Barton was closest to Quebec's Pierre Sauvé, with the two men becoming good friends and close allies. In federal affairs Barton worked well with Mazankowski but irritated the PM by keeping his hands in federal party affairs - open nominations were often dominated by "True Scottsmen", as the Globe's political columnist Jeffrey Simpson referred to them. 1998 was an election year, one where the Citizens Charter had been mostly enacted. Combined with a booming economy, popular leader and divided left, Barton cruised to another large majority with 82 of 131 seats. Many wondered if the premier could create a new dynasty of his own. It was not to be. 2000 was when things started going wrong. 2 ministerial resignations due to scandal damaged the government's hitherto clean reputation. Barton had delivered his promised tax cuts and privatized the LCBO but decided to shelve a similar plan for Ontario Hydro. As the economy slowed, Liberals blamed Barton's "radicalism" for it and allied themselves with labour. By late 2001 the Tories lost their polling lead for the first time since forming government. Despite strong pushes from Barton and his ministers Gerard Kennedy had correctly surmised that Tory confrontation was becoming tiresome but also the government was adrift. In Barton's telling, his options were "exciting things which would doom us or boring things which stall us." Though the Liberal lead was never as large as Barton's a decade earlier, it was enough to deliver a majority when Barton finally faced voters in August 2003. Kennedy won 73 seats to Barton's 45 and 13 for Howard Hampton's NDP. On election night, Barton announced his resignation as Tory leader and resigned his seat just before the new legislature opened. It seemed his 22-year career was buried. Months later, Bob Rae narrowly defeated Jim Prentice's federal Tories to form a Liberal minority government. Now Barton could not even hope for the Senate seat he briefly coveted. The ex-premier returned to his law practice and corporate boards, keeping an almost invisible public profile. Barton himself was ambivalent on the idea of a comeback: he wanted a draft and a favourable political climate. As his son Ryan would tell it, the former premier was too young for memoirs, had no need for money and no desire for office other than the only one he ever wanted. In 2007 Barton made news when he defended a housing project in Jane-Finch, earning considerable media acclaim. When Dave Walberg resigned the leadership in 2008, many Tories decided to postpone the leadership convention until early 2010. In this environment, many Tories wanted to run against an increasingly unpopular Liberal government. Barton announced his candidacy at an October 2009 press conference. 1 opponent withdrew and the other remained in. On March 9, 2010, Barton was re-elected PCPO leader by a 67/33 margin. York-Simcoe MPP Dan Bartlett resigned almost immediately, allowing Barton to seek his old seat. The Liberals did not contest Barton's election, and he returned to the Legislature for its fall sitting. In the interim Barton had been ecstatic when his old friend Mathieu Sauvé was elected federal PC leader in October, enabling an open alliance between the two sister parties for the first time since the late 1990s. In 2012, Barton cruised to a victory over Kennedy's Grits, winning 88 of 131 seats and 47.4% of the popular vote. Paul Dewar's NDP regained Official Opposition status as the Grits tumbled into third. Once again, the Big Blue Machine ruled Ontario.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Might as well post this. Cornish election of 2011 in True North. Cornwall is a part of the federal UK.

The Cornish Assembly came around because of Wessexian* internal politics. A Liberal-SDP-MK coalition was arranged, with MK getting an referendum on if Cornwall wanted to be a separate devolved assembly. William Hague (the PM) intervened and took over the referendum.

The 1999 referendum went for Yes by a strong margin and then elected their first government, a Liberal majority with MK as the opposition. The Nationals was a rump third and the SDP barely holding on 2 seats. The Liberals gradually lost support in the polls at the same time as they grew closer with the Nationals, similar to how federal politics was developing. In 2003, they ran as the Nat Libs and defeated MK, the SDP and the growing Citizens' Movement in order to hold a majority.

Between 2003 and 2007, disaffection with the NatLibs grew. MK gained a strong lead in the polls, but heavy campaigning brought that down to a minority. Cole's government has proved popular, as people perceive him as "standing up for Cornwall". Thus Mebyon Kernow won their first majority.

* Wessex: Basically all of South-West England plus a bit more in SE.

Cornwall_2011_ Cole.PNG

Last edited:
Beginning of an EOI premiers' series. (More on Barton later) Ontario's Tory premier Scott Barton has set 3 records: first premier to serve non-consecutive terms, first openly gay premier, longest-serving PC leader. He has been a nemesis of Liberal Prime Minister Bob Rae since they were both young lawyers in the 1970s.

His pose and smile are just like "Hell yeah, motherfucker".

Here is the Second Corrected of my planned info boxes

Um...background? Also, those pictures needs to be shrunk.

EOI-verse as usual for me: UN leadership election 1971. Daniel Johnson's cardiology has gone through severe strain since 1964, but the campaign's strain completely drained him. The new National Assembly did not convene until November 1970, but it was obvious he was not long for this world. Just before the winter sitting began in January, Johnson died of a massive heart attack in his office at the age of 55. Government House Leader Maurice Bellemare was elected interim leader and thus premier by caucus until a leadership convention could be held. Deputy Premier Jean-Jacques Bertrand, a federalist moderate, would face Education Minister and conservative nationalist Jean-Guy Cardinal. Unlike 1961, federalist and nationalist conservatives united around their fellow conservative to block Bertrand, whom they saw as a divisive, incompetent force who could split the party (as nearly happened at least twice in the '60s IOTL). Finance Minister Paul Dozois, Culture Minister Pierre Sauvé, Industry Minister Mario Beaulieu and Agriculture Minister Clement Vincent all endorsed Cardinal. The Education Minister trounced Bertrand in May and was sworn in as premier June 6, 1971.

attachment.php

EOI-verse as usual for me: UN leadership election 1971. Daniel Johnson's cardiology has gone through severe strain since 1964, but the campaign's strain completely drained him. The new National Assembly did not convene until November 1970, but it was obvious he was not long for this world. Just before the winter sitting began in January, Johnson died of a massive heart attack in his office at the age of 55. Government House Leader Maurice Bellemare was elected interim leader and thus premier by caucus until a leadership convention could be held. Deputy Premier Jean-Jacques Bertrand, a federalist moderate, would face Education Minister and conservative nationalist Jean-Guy Cardinal. Unlike 1961, federalist and nationalist conservatives united around their fellow conservative to block Bertrand, whom they saw as a divisive, incompetent force who could split the party (as nearly happened at least twice in the '60s IOTL). Finance Minister Paul Dozois, Culture Minister Pierre Sauvé, Industry Minister Mario Beaulieu and Agriculture Minister Clement Vincent all endorsed Cardinal. The Education Minister trounced Bertrand in May and was sworn in as premier June 6, 1971.

<snip>

Usually, the title or parts of the title of the infobox isn't wiki-linked.

I find it funny how people were talking about hard to get wikipedia things, and doing something diffrent, because I've had a problem with just that

attachment.php

I tried so hard to understand this, but it didn't really matter because I just gave up. I really wanted to use the Alaska template, because it looks rather cool. But I cannot understand what I'm doing right or wrong. I'll try and get a normal version out tomorrow.

As a consolidation, guess what this is for and who's next!

Sigh, POD far enough back to keep Ireland as part of the UK through 2013 and the ITU ends up giving the country the exact same Phone country code...

That was a mistake on my part. I'll edit it; To save me time, are there any other things which you think are a bit "off" for this infobox? And are you interested in the idea and the TL?

EDIT: And actually, why wouldn't the UK have a different Phone Country code?

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
The first in a series of world-building for a TL in the works.
Interesting, 'just different enough to be eye-catching', like the change to the House of Lords.

I was going to query the internet domain name (considering the UK having .uk is actually an accident of history in OTL) but I suppose the OTL planned one of .gb would be even less appropriate if Ireland was in the UK.

(Of course, you can then get into the semantics of whether it is plausible to have something called 'the internet' with the same type of domain codes given the date of the POD, but with wikiboxes we tend to take that for granted--after all, they are done in the style of an OTL website--because their point is to be just enough like OTL to shock and provoke thought).

Status
Not open for further replies.