AHC: Yiddish Pirates

Just a thought I had--wouldn't it be cool if there were Yiddish-speaking pirates in the Baltic and thereabouts? What would need to change for this to happen? A more autonomous, but resource-poor, Jewish community on the coast?

I just had this hilarious image of a Blackbeard type character with the sidelocks and using a Menorrah instead of the hook on his hand.

Just a thought I had--wouldn't it be cool if there were Yiddish-speaking pirates in the Baltic and thereabouts? What would need to change for this to happen? A more autonomous, but resource-poor, Jewish community on the coast?

One of the big problems here is that there wasn't a large group of Jews with any tradition as fishermen or sailors; it'll be hard for people to turn pirate if they don't know how to use boats. So you might start by seeding the Baltic coast with alt-shtetls focused on fishing.

One of the big problems here is that there wasn't a large group of Jews with any tradition as fishermen or sailors; it'll be hard for people to turn pirate if they don't know how to use boats. So you might start by seeding the Baltic coast with alt-shtetls focused on fishing.

Well besides Portugeuse Jews. If you really want Jewish pirates it can be done, just not likely they'll speak Yiddish.

Might have already occured OTL:

1) Cossacks engaged in piracy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks
From the second part of the 16th century, Cossacks started raiding Ottoman territories. The Polish government could not control the Cossacks, but was held responsible as the men were nominally their subjects. In retaliation, Tatars living under Ottoman rule launched raids into the Commonwealth, mostly in the southeast territories. In retaliation, Cossack pirates started raiding wealthy trading port-cities in the heart of the Ottoman Empire, as these were just two days away by boat from the mouth of the Dnieper River.
2) Jewish Cossacks existed by then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Cossacks

Well besides Portugeuse Jews. If you really want Jewish pirates it can be done, just not likely they'll speak Yiddish.

I'm unfamiliar with the maritime traditions of Portuguese Jews; I figured that they were like the Spanish Jews, largely existing in Muslim (and then Christian) society as an educated middle class, like in most places.

TinyTartar

Banned
The Baltic makes a poor target for piracy; it is too icy for too much of the year to make piracy all that profitable, and it is hemmed in by a bunch of countries that hate Jews and have navies to fight them with depending on the timeframe. While it was certainly possible to do this, and the Hanseatic league learned this the hard way, Jews would likely not be taking part.

I suppose Baltic piracy in the Middle ages could have occurred even more than OTL, as there were Baltic pirates, but I am not sure how Jewish the pirates would have been, and once the region turns into a battleground for the Poles, Swedes, and Russians, its too late for piracy to have much chance at success.

I just had this hilarious image of a Blackbeard type character with the sidelocks and using a Menorrah instead of the hook on his hand.
but Blackbeard didn't have a hook :p

more seriously, as mentioned earlier, Yiddish-speaking (e.g., Ashkenazi) Jewish pirates are probably less-likely just realistically speaking. it's far more probable that any notable groups of Jewish pirates would be Sephardi, formerly the largest group and the actual archetypal Jews for most of history (the "all Jews are Ashkenazi" trope is because most media featuring them are made in America and most American Jews are Ashkenazi, iirc). the largest Sephardi concentration was in Iberia (and they were the Jews persecuted by the Spanish Inquisition) and, being where it is geographically, it IS more likely that they are the ones who would have more maritime experience and, with an appropriate POD, lead to this scenario.

Come on, let's face it, pirates were the first equal opportunity employers. It was almost compulsory to have an odd number of limbs, or at the very least have something missing!
If this extends to religious freedom, I don't see any reason for a Yiddish majority crew, as long as they the required number of minorities and disabled!:p

Come on, let's face it, pirates were the first equal opportunity employers. It was almost compulsory to have an odd number of limbs, or at the very least have something missing!

Pirate bragging contest.
-I'm missing a hand!
-I'm missing an arm
-I'm missing a leg
-You guys don't want to know what part of me got chopped off...
:p

Have there even been Jewish pirates in the past?

Some of the barbary pirates were jews exiled from spain alongside the morisicos.

Sinan Reis, the great jew, who fought alongside ottomans fleets in both the med and the indian ocean is probably the most famous.