AHC: Who gets the Congo in Africa if Belgium never comes to be?

Let's say that the Belgian Revolution of 1830 fails and the areas of IOTL Belgium remain part of the Netherlands to this day.

Fast forward to the 1880s and the Scramble for Africa gets under way. Without Belgium's King Leopold II to claim the Congo as his personal property, which European empire will get a hold of it or parts of it? I wonder what the map of Africa would look like in this timeline.

It depends on how European and world geopolitics evolve between 1830 and 1880.
And the fact that it was a period of great change does not really help to identify a most likely scenario.
Almost any European colonial power could take control with the right set of butterflies.

Fast forward to the 1880s and the Scramble for Africa gets under way. Without Belgium's King Leopold II to claim the Congo as his personal property, which European empire will get a hold of it or parts of it? I wonder what the map of Africa would look like in this timeline.
Why not the Netherlands?
Especially since they would be in a stronger position in comparison to OTL.

I guess British would eventually set up a company like the ones they had in South Africa, Nigeria, East Africa and control the whole basin.

probably partitioned between France and Portugal, with Britain getting a chunk or three. but it's worth noting that Leopold II was ultimately the driving factor that led to the berlin conference, so the actual borders of anywhere are up for debate

Why not the Netherlands?
Since they probably wouldn't care. They already have Indonesia and would focus on that region (like for example all of Borneo, Eastern New Guinea, etc) and if they would get involved in africa, they would focus on the Dutch Gold Coast (OTL sold to Britain) and not the Congo.

I once proposed a scenario where the United States actually gets it - largely because they can play a similar geopolitical role to Belgium in OTL, I.e. France would prefer they get it to retain retain Britain feels the same.

I do know thst the US was initially one of Leopold's supporters, until his vitality became well known, and had some interests in the region.

There were a few more reasons that I thought this was actually plausible, if not probable - but I'm a afeared it's been some years and I'd have to try to find my old notes.

probably partitioned between France and Portugal, with Britain getting a chunk or three. but it's worth noting that Leopold II was ultimately the driving factor that led to the berlin conference, so the actual borders of anywhere are up for debate
I can see the Southwestern portion of the Congo being apart of the Portuguese colony of Angola. That way, Cabina won't have to be an exclave of Angola and be connected to the rest of the colony (later country).

I could probably see the rest of the Congo getting carved up by the British (the Eastern portion next to German East Africa/modern day Tanzania), the French (possibly the Northwestern portion bordering the French Congo and French Equatorial Africa) and German (possibly the Northwestern portion bordering German Kameron or possibly a small sliver near German East Africa) Empires.

I gave it to Sweden in my tl in otl Denmark maybe they have a Colonial history. The Dutch could be another candidate

If Denmark gets it the US could take control of it when they take over Iceland and Greenland.
Would Denmark or Sweden-Norway even want the Congo, let alone a colonial empire in Africa? I doubt the United States would end up with it either.

Why not the Netherlands?
What @pompejus said about the Dutch not being interested in the Congo above.

we could see an early exchange of britain getting Kenya for the Kongo, so Rhodes can do the cape to cairo
Sorry for the late reply, but what you said makes no sense.

The British Empire got Kenya as a protectorate known as the East Africa Protectorate in 1895. How would they exchange a colony/protectorate that they already have and who would they even exchange it to?

I do agree through that the British getting part of the Congo (most likely the Eastern portion) would make building their Cape to Cairo Railway more of a feasible project without having to worry about German East Africa blocking the way.

Sorry for the late reply, but what you said makes no sense.

The British Empire got Kenya as a protectorate known as the East Africa Protectorate in 1895. How would they exchange a colony/protectorate that they already have and who would they even exchange it to?

I do agree through that the British getting part of the Congo (most likely the Eastern portion) would make building their Cape to Cairo Railway more of a feasible project without having to worry about German East Africa blocking the way.

Maybe he's thinking Tanganyika. It might make sense for the Germans to take the Congo since it's next to Kamerun.

Maybe he's thinking Tanganyika. It might make sense for the Germans to take the Congo since it's next to Kamerun.
You do have a point there, @PolishMagnet . Having German East Africa and Kamerun being connected by the Congo does sound it would make some sense.

However, I can only see the Germans owning a bit of the Congo bordering their two colonies border it, with the British, Portuguese and French Empires taking over the remaining areas.

I can see the Southwestern portion of the Congo being apart of the Portuguese colony of Angola. That way, Cabina won't have to be an exclave of Angola and be connected to the rest of the colony (later country).

I could probably see the rest of the Congo getting carved up by the British (the Eastern portion next to German East Africa/modern day Tanzania), the French (possibly the Northwestern portion bordering the French Congo and French Equatorial Africa) and German (possibly the Northwestern portion bordering German Kameron or possibly a small sliver near German East Africa) Empires.
pink map ft. katanga maybe.....

I once proposed a scenario where the United States actually gets it - largely because they can play a similar geopolitical role to Belgium in OTL, I.e. France would prefer they get it to retain retain Britain feels the same.

I do know thst the US was initially one of Leopold's supporters, until his vitality became well known, and had some interests in the region.

There were a few more reasons that I thought this was actually plausible, if not probable - but I'm a afeared it's been some years and I'd have to try to find my old notes.
That reminds me of @EdT’s timeline Fight and be Right where the Congo Free State is placed under the stewardship of the United States after Leopold’s atrocities are exposed. The argument is essentially what you said with the US playing the role of a neutral actor in international affairs. I don’t want to spoil the timeline too much, but this leads to some very interesting repercussions not just in the Congo but in black communities in the US as well.

However, if Belgium never exists and the CFS isn’t established, I doubt the US would try to do so. For that matter, without Leopold’s imperialist project in the Congo kickstarting the Scramble for Africa, the entire continent would be radically different. European imperialism in Africa could remain informally based on trade relations with native African nations rather than trying to absorb and “civilize” them.

Honestly I don't think the territory will go to any single power.

That said, Belgium never coming to be creates butterflies. We might not see a fully realised German Empire as one example, so it's hard to say who would end up in Africa.

If we assume the unlikely scenario that the rest of history goes similarly and the same powers are involved in Africa, then my assumption is that the Portuguese gain the Kikongo speaking areas at the mouth of the river, the British grab Katanga and the east to bypass German Tanganyika, and the French get the rest.

What made Belgium unique is that its neutrality was internationally guaranteed by treaty. You can't say the same for countries like Sweden or Denmark, or the Netherlands, or even the United States. Because of this neutrality, Belgium was seen as a reasonable compromise between the competing great powers (Britain, France, and Germany, who all had interests in the region; France in Gabon, Germany in Kamerun/Tanganyika, and for the British Cecil Rhodes went as far as Katanga IIRC as part of the British South Africa Company). Belgium was also industrialised, and in need of raw materials, which was the ostensible reason for colonies in the first place.

Not to mention Leopold had grand ambitions of empire. You can't say the same for Sweden, or even the United States (which was still pretending Puerto Rico, the Philippines, etc. weren't colonies).

I think we have other thread about this, but assuming there is still a Scramble for Africa, which is not a certainty in 1830, and other areas are allocated similarly to OTL, I think it would be spit between the French, the Portuguese, and the British.

Attachments

• no_belgian_congo.png
    no_belgian_congo.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 207