AHC: Wank your birthplace

That's it, with any PoD in any time possible, make the place (city/town/village) you've been born the most powerful/influent/rich possible by the present-day :)

With the transcontinental railroad arriving and Hawaii never joining the Union, San Diego remains the chief Pacific hub of the US for way longer

My town (Rogersville) is made capital of Tennessee, as it was one of the first towns established here. But if thats not possible, just keep the car and steel industries here, as in the 50s this town was very rich. We’re a casualty of the Rust Belt’s decline, so if you prevent it, and also stop the opioid epidemic from gutting the region, this town wouldn’t be nearly as shitty as it is today.

An easier one would be my actual birthplace, Knoxville (was born in a hospital there but I’ve never actually lived in the city), the capital, as it was until 1817. It’s already pretty great, but if it’s maintained as the state capital, it’d be even better. Way easier to wank than my podunk hometown.

The Queen of Cities is, as it always was, the best city.

As for improving it materially, there are many pods to choose from. No 4th Crusade could be one, or an Ottowank. Having the Ottomans be neutral or win WW1 could be nice as well. Also workable is changing the Republican History of Turkey at pretty much any point post WW2 to improve the situation, leading to a better off country, leading to a better off Istanbul.

my hometown (kotabumi, north lampung). was a capital of a third of lampung before the land carved out of her. have this stay much longer, perhaps until the end of new order. and then investing in landmarks and tourist sight. and also make sure the new toll/highway is passed through her or just make her the prime way of trans sumatran. i think i could see a population that is double from now.

Just switch the investment that made portland a massive metropole to the other side of the river. Viola, big Vancouver (incidentally, ours predates the canuck one)

The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871 fails to pass. After re-election, the Grant Administration uses a loophole from the Virginia Retrocession to purchase 31 square miles on Lake Michigan, centered around Lakeview Township, supported by ally GovernorJohn Lourie Beveridge.

Grant names he new territory Lincoln, District or Liberty, as a tribute to the Great Emancipator. Northern development of the already booming metropolis spreads quickly as a new Executive Mansion, Hall of Congress, and other federal offices move to the Midwest.

While the District of Columbia remains officially part of the capital, it transitions into a national monument. By tradition, Presidential inaugurations occur in the District of Columbia, but then the Presidential Inauguration train proceeds west to the real seat of power.

Last edited:
With a slightly different Revolutionary War (success in Canada? loss in the South?) a compromise site for the new capital is chosen along the Susquehanna instead of the Potomac, encompassing the little town of Creswell's Ferry - which in this timeline will probably never be known as Port Deposit.