AHC: Female combat pilots in the Battle of Britain

Because we haven't had a go at this one in a while.

The challenge is to have a significant number of woman fly combat missions during the Battle of Britain.

A "mini-plane" is invented which is particularly swift and agile, but it is so cramped that pilots must be very small and light. A corps of petite women are secretly drafted to serve as pilots. They are sworn to secrecy. The government claims that the planes are piloted by male jockeys, and produces newsreel footage to back this up. The truth comes out in the 1970's, and the surviving female pilots are given medals, etc.

TFSmith121

Banned
Given a dire enough situation (Marine Sabretooth?), I'd guess it might happen

I think one of the planned elements of the RAF's re-action to invasion would be to shut down Air Training Command and throw their pilots into action, flying whatever was available (down to and including Tiger Months with improvised bomb racks); I'd guess something similar might have happened with the auxiliary transport pilots.

Which certainly would have put paid the whole Aryan uberman mythos if someone like Maureen Dunlop had knocked down one of Galland's men....

45peoobi.jpg

If there were more losses during the BoB then the RAF might have allowed recruitment for female pilots. I do not think they would become combat pilots like what happened in the USSR, but we might have seen more for training and ferry service.

Yeah, outside of Russia, women won't be flying an aircraft with loaded guns, but making all ferry pilots women will help.

Do any think Japan might have allowed women Kamikazes as the end neared if the US did not drop the Bomb?

I think one of the planned elements of the RAF's re-action to invasion would be to shut down Air Training Command and throw their pilots into action, flying whatever was available (down to and including Tiger Months with improvised bomb racks); I'd guess something similar might have happened with the auxiliary transport pilots.

Which certainly would have put paid the whole Aryan uberman mythos if someone like Maureen Dunlop had knocked down one of Galland's men....

45peoobi.jpg

Apart from Maureen being better looking, I don't think the Germans would think she was a better pilot than their own Hanna Reitsch...

Hanna-Reitsch.jpg

And having 11 aircraft shot down by soviet hero Lilya Litvak didn't shake down the LW pilots ego that much...

lilyalitvak-8x6.jpg

They would probably find Natalya Meklin and her fellow night witches exploits more disturbing...
And I think I'm going to post this on the OPOGW thread in NPChat...

meklin_01_350.jpg

I think it would take an invasion and needing everyone who can pilot a plane.
As things stand raw manpower isn't much of a problem for the airforce, there were loads of men who wanted to be pilots but only a certain few of them could be. Problems were more along numbers of aircraft and training time lines.

This thread seems to have evolved into rating female WW 2 pilots based upon their looks and not upon their skill or ability to contribute to the war effort. It is quite deeply sexist. Can I please request we get the conversation back on topic?

Last edited:
Extra points for having Barbara Cartland become an ace! :D

Seriously, she held some sort of record for glider-piloting before the war, so I reckon that turning her into a fighter pilot in any scenario that allows British female fighter pilots might not be totally implausible...

I think the only way is to have the female ferry pilots get loaded guns.

After a couple of female pilots were shot down, the refused the fly with out the means to defend them selfs. They are still not front line pilots but a few are still scoring against the LW and some are going to look for LW planes to shoot down

Duckie
The Netherlands

You'd need a situation where the RAF is desperately short of trained (male) pilots, but not of aircraft. I'm not sure how you could do that, given the training time versus time to manufacture aircraft.

Can we stop talking about female WW 2 pilots based upon their looks? It is quite deeply sexist.

Only if we talk only about their looks and not their exploits. For context, see if this sentence is sexist:
"Apart from Francois Cevert being better looking, I don't think scotish F1 fans would think he was a better pilot than their own Jackie Stewart"

Only if we talk only about their looks and not their exploits. For context, see if this sentence is sexist:
"Apart from Francois Cevert being better looking, I don't think scotish F1 fans would think he was a better pilot than their own Jackie Stewart"

Yes it is, it implies that physical looks matter at all when fundamentally they don't. You should never judge anyone based upon their looks. My above post has been fixed somewhat. See what you think of it now.

Yes it is, it implies that physical looks matter at all when fundamentally they don't. You should never judge anyone based upon their looks. My above post has been fixed somewhat. See what you think of it now.

I still disagree with your view.
1. Nobody is rating anybody. It is a fact that Litvak made ace and that didn't changed much about the LW perception of women.
2. It is also a fact that the nightwitches made quite an impression on the germans, but mostly because it takes a lot of guts to fly night harassment missions on Po-2 biplanes.
3. We can comment on people looks without loosing objectivity on their abilities. If I recomend a woman doctor to a friend because I think she is a good professional and casualy comment that she's also quite pretty, it would be wrong to assume "he only thinks well of her because she's good looking" and try another one. I would vote on Anna Yegorova as the greatest woman pilot of WW2, and that has nothing to do with looks.
4. It is perfectly normal to comment on people looks. For example try discussing US football (soccer) goalkeeper Hope Solo with soccer fans (male or female) without discussing her looks. It's biological.

Sir Jackie usually comments on Francois good looks when talking about him, and he does it not because he's judging him but because it was a part of what he was.
Like it or not, good looking peple spend their all live being treated (or looked at) diferently because of their looks and that changes them. It would be wrong to describe Queen Louise of Prussia without saying that she was a beautiful woman, because without that information it would be harder to understand her impact on people and her actions.