AH Vignette: The Tsar's Gold Watch

Part 1
Skaqua, Russian America
June 1905

1596233387191.png

The man on the gangway of the Katyusha had a newspaper, and it was bordered in black.

Lev Khodulevich saw it even before the portmaster did. In theory, he was at the harbor to take note of incoming foreigners, which was one of his duties as deputy chief of police. It wasn’t a duty he took very seriously – who but foreigners came to Skaqua these days? – but he was a conscientious man, so even on a rainy morning like this one, he always went to meet the ships. And so he was the first to see the broadsheet that brought news of the disaster at Tsushima.

He didn’t, of course, know yet that these were the tidings the newspaper brought, and he almost didn’t learn. The man with the paper under his arm – a black-suited gentleman of forty with a neatly trimmed beard and a bureaucrat’s air of self-importance – was almost to the pier now, and when Khodulevich took him by the arm, he twisted angrily and pulled away. “Let go of me, zhid,” he said, and looked ready to spit.

Khodulevich paid the insult no mind – this wasn’t the first time he’d heard it, or even the thousandth. He kept a firm grip on the man’s arm, stood in his way, and waited for him to see. And after a tense moment, the official registered the hard veteran’s face and police uniform in front of him, and realized that zhid or not, this was someone he had best not cross.

“The newspaper,” Khodulevich said. “Let me see.” And he did. It was the Vladivostok paper from two weeks before, and it told of how Admiral Togo had sent the flower of the Russian navy to the bottom of the sea. Eleven battleships were lost – all the battleships in the fleet – and thirty other vessels sunk or scattered… and yes, when Khodulevich read to the end of the list, the three ships of the Alyeska coastal patrol had gone down with the others. Those ships, and all too likely most of the men on them, would never come home.

“Bozhe moi!” he said, his voice low and almost prayerful. He’d known the war wasn’t going well, but this was worse than anyone could have imagined. He knew some of the sailors on those ships, and now he would have to visit their families and tell them…

“Are you done with me, zhid?” the official asked. The insult hung in the air, and this time Khodulevich wasn’t sure he wanted to ignore it. But just then, a young man with a document in his hand barreled down the gangway and nearly bowled them over, and with both of them having a new target for their anger, the moment was broken. Khodulevich released his grip and the official walked away without further comment, disappearing into the misty streets that led away from the terminal.

A minute later, Khodulevich took another of those streets and went to morning prayers.

#​

There hadn’t been a synagogue in Skaqua when Khodulevich had first come there. Russian America was a very long way from the Pale of Settlement to which Jews were confined, and most of the exceptions – university laureates, merchants of the first rank, those few who had been ennobled – had little interest in visiting frontier outposts. Only those like Khodulevich himself – the cantonists, Jewish boys who had been drafted at twelve and finished their twenty years’ service in the army – would fetch up in a place like this, and when he was mustered out, only two others had lived there. A few more had come year by year, soldiers who settled where they were stationed, but never enough to build a house of prayer.

But then had come the gold rush. Americans poured through Skaqua to the Klondike gold fields, and as always, they left a residue behind – merchants and outfitters, saloon-keepers and whores, luckless miners who’d lost their claims and were reduced to seeking work at the port. Now, in the year of grace 1905, there were four Americans in Skaqua for every Russian, and though it was technically against the law, some of them were Jews. And one of them – Sam Katz, who’d struck it rich north of Dawson and struck it even richer as a druggist – had built a synagogue to thank God for his good fortune.

The building was well away from the main streets, on the lower slopes of the mountain where the governor and the garrison commander wouldn’t have to notice it. At this time of day, the path that led to it was shrouded in fog, and when the low wooden house appeared through the fir trees, it came almost as a surprise. But the door stood open and Khodulevich could see that he wasn’t the first one there.

The man sitting in the anteroom wasn’t one of the newcomers – Mendel, a fellow cantonist, had finished his service as an army tailor fifteen years before and set up shop in town. He wasn’t wearing a tallis or tefillin and looked on with amusement as Khodulevich put on his. Mendel was an atheist, a radical, who at other times and in other places liked to fulminate about the opiate of the people. But in the Russian Empire, a Jewish atheist was still a Jew, and here was where the society of other Jews was to be found.

“What news on the Rialto, Lev?” Mendel asked. Khodulevich recognized the reference vaguely – Mendel had taken up reading English since the Americans came, and he had an annoying habit of showing off his erudition.

“We lost the war, nothing else.”

“All at once?”

“Two thirds of our fleet sunk or captured. I don’t see how we can keep fighting now.”

“Baruch Hashem.”

“You’re talking about twelve thousand men,” Khodulevich said, but his voice was mild; it wasn’t as if he had just learned which way Mendel’s opinions ran.

“I’m talking about a revolution! There are strikes and mutinies already, and after this…”

Khodulevich reflected that Mendel was probably right. He’d heard the news of peasant uprisings, soldiers’ strikes, street fights between workers and police; the Tsar, it was said, had agreed to an advisory assembly and labor reforms, but these were concessions that pleased nobody. The government was already holding on by its fingernails, and with the catastrophe at Tsushima…

“Even here now,” Mendel said. And maybe he was right about that too – Alyeska had been peaceful thus far, but there had been rumblings of discontent in Novo-Arkhangelsk and memoranda had come down warning the police to be watchful for sedition. And here the sedition was, and Mendel was speaking it even to someone duty-bound to make a report. The unwritten rule was that words spoken in the synagogue remained there, but that same rule stipulated certain boundaries, and Mendel was close to crossing them if he hadn’t done so already.

“Careful,” Khodulevich said, and put his index finger to his lips. Don’t say anything that I’ll have to notice – I, or the spies we both know are here. It seemed that Mendel was going to answer him, but his words died unspoken as the Americans came in.

They were a motley group of seven, led by the man who called himself their rabbi – Khodulevich had made inquiries, and he was really a confidence man with a police record in Kansas City, but he’d got an education from somewhere, he was skilled at wheedling enough money from Katz to keep the synagogue running, and he played the part well. He did so now, greeting Khodulevich and gesturing with both hands into the sanctuary.

Old Itzik was there already – he must have come even before Mendel – and with Khodulevich and the Americans, they just made a minyan. They settled to their prayers, all except Mendel who looked on in silent amusement and who shook his head in good humor when the rabbi made his ritual offer of an aliyah. The fog was lifting outside, and the view across the valley lent a sense of peace to the service, but when it was over, the rabbi and Katz motioned the other Americans into a whispered conversation, and even Mendel couldn’t tell what they were talking about.

#​

The first of the sailors’ families lived in a shack at the edge of town, at the bottom of the path. The father had already gone to his work as a woodcutter, but the mother was doing the washing in back. She hadn’t heard the news, but something in Khodulevich’s face told her, and even before he started speaking, the tears had started to flow. When he had said the words his duty required, she took him inside and showed him a photograph – a young man of eighteen, proud in his naval uniform. A few letters lay beside it, and now these were all she would have of him. “Think of him sometimes,” she said. “Promise me he will be remembered.”

The second family was two streets away, and they called him a filthy zhid who wasn’t fit to clean their outhouse.

From there, Khodulevich’s route took him into the city. The watch in his pocket told him it was nearing eight o’clock, and the Alexander III Promenade was bustling; the stores were full of customers, carts filled with lumber and mining equipment rumbled down the dirt roadway, and men reeled out of already-open saloons. A few of them saw Khodulevich and straightened up in a hurry; most knew that as long as they stayed peaceable, they weren’t worth his time.

That much was ordinary. But when he passed knots of people talking in the street – some in Russian, most in English – the topic of conversation was always the same. The news of Tsushima spread fast as bad news always did, and by now it had no doubt reached the farthest edges of town; in all likelihood, Khodulevich’s visits to the other sailors’ families would be superfluous.

Not everyone, of course, was taking the news in the same way. The Russians, mostly, were mourning, both for the sailors and their country. Others shut up hastily when Khodulevich approached, which meant that they felt as Mendel did. But the Americans neither mourned nor celebrated in secret; their gestures were emphatic and the rising tone of their voices brimmed over with eagerness.

“The patrol boats are gone,” said a florid-faced outfitter standing outside his warehouse. “There’s nothing between here and the islands – a fleet of fishing boats could get us to Novo-Arkhangelsk.”

The man next to him nodded vigorously. “Take the fort here, get a thousand men across – we could plant the flag within a week.”

“Roosevelt?” asked a third.

“He’ll agree, once it’s done. He’s not the kind to sit and think about it for five years like they did with Hawaii…”

They went on in that vein for some time, taking no notice of Khodulevich – they were either confident they could do nothing to stop him or, more likely, didn’t think he could understand English. But nor did they say enough for Khodulevich to tell if they were serious. None of them struck him as soldiers, and none had anything like a plan; were they really scheming to plant the American flag in the Alyeskan capital, or were they simply hoping for that as they’d no doubt done since they arrived? Would there soon be conversations like this in the Tanana gold fields or the diggings near Fort Nikolaevskaya? Would any of them be more serious than this – were there caches of arms somewhere in town, held against just this kind of happenstance?

Serious or not, these were things the garrison commander should know, and Khodulevich would report to him directly after breakfast.

Breakfast itself was two doors down, at one of the few taverns on the Promenade with signs in both Russian and English. The street was mostly American now but for the public buildings at the far end, but some of the old Russian businesses remained, and one of them was the tavern owned by Khodulevich’s wife. She was behind the bar now, serving coffee and bacon to hungry miners and drinks to thirsty ones, and her broad, dark Tlingit face brightened and grew gentle as she saw him enter.

“Some eggs, Lena?” he said, and she broke three onto the stove as he dragged a stool up to the bar. She didn’t need to ask how he took them, and she knew he wouldn’t want bacon; she also knew how he took his coffee, and that was on the bar even before he sat down.

She, of all people, seemed indifferent to the battle. Like many of her people, she’d been baptized as a child and taught Russian by the missionaries who’d given her a Christian name, but she wasn’t Russian, and she certainly wasn’t American. “The poor young sailors,” she said, but she said that because she was a mother, not because she was a patriot.

“The poor young sailors indeed,” repeated a man at Khodulevich’s right – Katz, he realized. What was Katz doing here? “But at least this will bring the end of the war.”

Khodulevich looked around quickly – Katz had spoken English, but a good half of the Russians in the room would understand, and some would take offense at welcoming the war ending this way. Fortunately, none of them seemed to have heard, but conversations in saloons had a way of becoming louder. “Be careful,” he hissed, much as he had to Mendel two hours before. “Between dreams of revolution and dreams of the Stars and Stripes, it will be easy to get into a fight today and hard to get out of one.”

Katz nodded and rose from his stool, but he wasn’t contrite. “Some fights are worth having,” he said. “Remember that you’re a Jew.”

There was no time to ask Katz what he’d meant before he left, but suddenly Khodulevich knew. In Russia, there were laws restricting where Jews could live and what professions they could follow; there were quotas of boys to be drafted for the army; there were evictions and pogroms. American Jews could live anywhere, work at any job, vote and hold office; many didn’t love them, but they were equal under the law. Katz was trying to recruit him to the American side, which meant that he saw an American coup as something more than a hope – and if someone as rich and well-connected as Katz thought so, then it might well be so.

It was enough to make Khodulevich wonder what his hopes were. He was sixty-three and had fought for Russia for twenty years; his status as a veteran exempted him from most of the restrictive laws, and he’d risen about as far as a retired Jewish cantonist could rise. His life in Alyeska wasn’t a bad one, and he had little love for the rabbis and rich merchants among the Mogilev Jews who’d sent poor boys like him to the army rather than give up their own sons. But he remembered other things he’d seen and stories he’d heard, and just as he’d fought for Russia, he’d fought hard to stay a Jew when the missionaries in the cantonist schools had tried to make a Christian of him. And he'd been cursed as a zhid twice this morning. A country where Jews were free – that called to him in a way that Mendel’s talk of revolution hadn’t.

He had things to think about before he made his report. He needed to talk – to Lena, if no one else. But then there were gunshots and shouting outside. He ran into the street almost gratefully – there were no doubts about what to do now – and at the sight of his uniform, the gathering crowd parted and motioned him to the corpse. .

A corpse, he realized, that he’d seen before. It was the man he’d seen running down the gangway of the Katyusha, and he was dead with three bullets in him.

[to be continued]​

Last edited:
Revolution in Alaska?

Or filibustering! Or both! Or something else!

Something tells me the us or the British will be watching.

The future tense isn't necessary; both - and others - have been watching since the gold rush began, and have been watching more closely since war broke out. That will definitely play a part in the story.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's reading. I expect this to be a story in three or four parts - it's an idea that I've been kicking around in my head for some time. Khodulevich is a character from the historical record, albeit possibly an apocryphal one - his one recorded exploit was first attested about fifty years after it happened - and if you care to look him up, you might get a clue about the story's title as well as a piece of its resolution.

These are also the first words I've been able to write since the pandemic began, so be kind - or on second thought, don't be kind, because I need to know how many steps I've lost.

Or filibustering! Or both! Or something else!

The future tense isn't necessary; both - and others - have been watching since the gold rush began, and have been watching more closely since war broke out. That will definitely play a part in the story.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's reading. I expect this to be a story in three or four parts - it's an idea that I've been kicking around in my head for some time. Khodulevich is a character from the historical record, albeit possibly an apocryphal one - his one recorded exploit was first attested about fifty years after it happened - and if you care to look him up, you might get a clue about the story's title as well as a piece of its resolution.

These are also the first words I've been able to write since the pandemic began, so be kind - or on second thought, don't be kind, because I need to know how many steps I've lost.
I think you should continue this!

I think you should continue this!

I plan to. However, between politics, pandemic, business, and family, I haven't had much room for stories this year. I actually started this in the hope that it would get me writing again, and it did, as far as scene three.

I have the next scenes blocked out and I have a good idea of where this story will go, so I'm confident that I'll finish it. But it may not be right away.

yboxman

Banned
I like this very much - but OTL, the cantonist system was abolished by Alexander II (or rather Milyutin and his reformers) in the aftermath of the Crimean War. Of course OTL Alaska was sold to the USA following post Crimean War Russian strategic re-entrenchment. So I suppose an averted CW could be the POD.
Still, I find it hard to believe that the cantonist system and the 20-year millitary service would persist past TTLs Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian war equivalents . They proved the superiority of the reservist system too overwhelmingly.

Last edited:
I like this very much - but OTL, the cantonist system was abolished by Alexander II (or rather Milyutin and his reformers) in the aftermath of the Crimean War. Of course OTL Alaska was sold to the USA following post Crimean War Russian strategic re-entrenchment. So I suppose an averted CW could be the POD.

Khodulevich was drafted just before the CW, though. Historically - and yes, he is based on a person who may be historical [1] - he was 14 years old in 1856, so he would have been drafted in 1854 or 55, a couple of years before the system was abolished. So he would be one of the last, but he would have served out his time, mustered out in Russian America and taken his veterans' privileges like the ancestors of some of the Jewish ex-soldiers I met in Finland in 1997.

Or alternatively, maybe this timeline did avert the Crimean War or at least have a different aftermath, with a slower pace of reform and the cantonist system continuing in diminished form in order to provide frontier troops in places like Alaska. I haven't thought about it that hard, because this thread is intended more for storytelling than as a rigorous ATL.

Anyway, the election is over. I did voter protection in Philly on the day and am very happy right now that it all paid off. Look for Part 2 of this story, not immediately but soon.

[1] According to an anecdote first reported in the 1890s, Khodulevich was a cadet at the Uman cantonist school in 1856, who did something that factors into the title of this story. I think he's probably apocryphal, given that the anecdote was first attested more than 40 years later by someone who wasn't actually there. But for purposes of this story, I like to think he could have existed.

Last edited:

yboxman

Banned
Khodulevich was drafted just before the CW, though. Historically - and yes, he is based on a person who may be historical [1] - he was 14 years old in 1856, so he would have been drafted in 1854 or 55, a couple of years before the system was abolished.
OTL underage cantonists were supposadely released back to their families in 1856-1857, but I imagine that even in OTL 14 year old cantonists would have been considered borderline, that some of any age slipped through the cracks, and that this would have been especially true for those stationed in Alaska. In any event don't let my AH-Stasi stand in the way of a good story!

Part 2
Khodulevich knelt beside the body, but he didn’t really need to; even if he hadn’t heard the shots, the cause of death was obvious. The man’s shirt was stained red in two places and a third bullet had severed his carotid artery – any of those wounds would have been fatal, and with all three, Khodulevich doubted he had lived more than seconds.

He’d done something in those seconds, though. There was much less blood on the ground than there should have been; the man hadn’t been killed where he lay. Khodulevich stood up again and faced the crowd. “Did any of you see it?” he asked.

A dozen people pointed across the street at once. “The shots came from Popov’s place, and then he came running out. Didn’t make it far.”

“I’d imagine not.” Khodulevich shook his head clear. “Did anyone come after him?”

No,” said the same dozen people. “Must have known they’d finished the job,” a gray-bearded American miner added; he seemed to find the thought amusing.

“Stay here and don’t move anything,” Khodulevich said, and the crowd parted again as he walked across to Popov’s. It was a saloon, like Lena’s, but there the resemblance ended; the patrons were all Russian, and even this early, they were deep in their cups. The furniture was bare – mismatched wooden tables and rickety stools – and aside from a lamp that hung over the wood stove, there was no light. It was a rough place and the eyes that followed Khodulevich were hostile, and he kept his hand close to his pistol.

“Looking for someone, zhid?” asked the man behind the bar. His voice was mocking and he, too, kept his right hand by his waist.

“For you, if I want to.” Khodulevich let his military accent, leavened by years in Bukhara and Kokand, go deep. “A man was shot here not two minutes ago. Who was he?”

“How would I know? I’d never seen him before – he was an American, and Americans don’t come here.”

“But you knew he was American?”

“He spoke Russian like someone who learned it in school.”

“That could be an Englishman, a German…”

“He was American.”

“So what was he doing, and who shot him?”

“He came in and bought a beer.” The bartender’s expression at the choice of drink was eloquent. “He sat down and was shot. What else is there to say?”

Khodulevich exhaled and looked at the bartender evenly. “God didn’t shoot him. Someone did. Someone here.”

Zhid. What gives you the right to talk about God?”

“Someone shot him,” Khodulevich repeated. “Someone here.”

“I’ve never seen them either. Maybe they were Americans too.”

“Are they still here?’

“No. They left.” The barman’s voice turned mocking again. “Through the back door.”

Which you let them use, Khodulevich finished silently. And that meant that the shooters almost certainly weren’t American. Popov – if that was who the barman was – clearly had no use for police, but he would never have taken that risk for a stranger.

Khodulevich swept his gaze across the customers, wondering if any of them might tell him more than the bartender, but most of them looked too drunk to know anything useful and the others wouldn’t talk any more than Popov had. “I’ll come back later if I think you’re worth the trouble,” he said. “If you suddenly remember anything in the meantime, you know where to find me.”

Outside, the coroner had arrived and his men were taking charge of the body. Khodulevich waved, acknowledging his control of the scene, and made arrangements to visit later. Now, he returned to the harbor, and to the Katyusha.

The captain, God be praised, was on board; he was evidently one of those who couldn’t bear to be separated from his ship rather than the kind who repaired to the nearest tavern as soon as the portmaster and customs inspector were finished. Khodulevich found him at his desk catching up on paperwork and, perhaps for that very reason, he proved talkative.

“His name was Willard,” said the captain, pointing to the name on the passenger manifest. “Willard Marshall. He had a diplomatic passport – I think he was on the American consul’s staff at Vladivostok.”

An American after all, Khodulevich thought, and then he remembered something else. “When he left the ship this morning, he was carrying a document. Do you know where he was going? Did he say who the document was for?”

“He didn’t say anything. But he asked where the consulate in Skaqua was. I’d imagine it’s a diplomatic note of some kind.”

“A diplomatic note?” Khodulevich had indeed heard that President Roosevelt wanted to broker a peace between Russia and Japan. No doubt the consul in Vladivostok would be involved in that, and no doubt he’d heard the news of Tsushima at once. But what would have inspired him to send a note to Skaqua of all places, and why would someone have quite literally killed the messenger?

The captain shook his head. “He didn’t say anything more. He seemed to think it was important, but maybe that was the eagerness of youth.”

Someone else thought it was important too. The question of who that might be carried Khodulevich to the consulate, where a brusque secretary told him the consul wasn’t in, that it was none of his business where he was, and that no one had heard of a Willard Marshall, and it carried him back onto the Alexander III Promenade where a small group of men was marching with signs that called for a strike. A couple of policemen watched them warily but didn’t do more, and when they looked to Khodulevich for guidance, he nodded his head; he was as uncertain of his orders as any of them were.

Maybe a visit to headquarters would give him that certainty. That was a fading red neoclassical building just off the promenade, the same one where the zemstvo sat and the civil government had its offices, and he was one of the few who needed no permission to enter the chief’s office on the ground floor. Kurin, the chief, was there as he always was; he was a decade younger than Khodulevich who’d retired from the army as a major and had been good to him during his final years of military service. “Sit down,” he said; he didn’t say zhid, or even look like he thought it.

“I don’t know any more than you do,” Kurin said after Khodulevich had brought him up to date. “Novo-Arkhangelsk keeps telling me to watch for sedition, but I take my orders from the zemstvo, and half of them are naturalized Americans. Strikes, revolutions, American freebooters – those seditions are too big. Those are for the garrison, I’d say, until I hear something else. But things that might lead to that, like this Marshall – those are still on our watch.”

“What should I watch for, then? Both Popov and the American secretary are lying, and Marshall had something to do with both of them. Have you heard anything from other officers? Reports of meetings? Men for hire? The kind of men who’d shoot an American at Popov’s spend their money quickly.”

Kurin shook his head. “Not even rumors. I’d tell you if I could, but all this is happening faster than news travels. Marshall got here only a few hours ago, and he must have seen the consul even sooner than that.”

“If it’s happening this fast, it must have been in readiness before. And a diplomatic note…” Khodulevich remembered Katz’s words an hour ago at Lena’s. He hadn’t said that a coup was in the offing, not in so many words, but it wasn’t something he’d first thought of that day, and even before Tsushima, it had been no secret that the war was going badly for Russia.

“It’s hard to get spies among the Americans,” Kurin admitted – that wasn’t news to either of them, and it was a problem they’d both tried to solve to little avail. “Easy enough to buy someone’s tongue, not so easy to buy their reliability or their loyalty… There are meetings, yes, I know of meetings. But there are always meetings.”

“Give me the names, at least,” Khodulevich said, and even before he’d finished speaking, he opened the drawer where the intelligence reports were kept. There was a folder labeled “American nationalists” next to the much thicker ones for socialists and anarchists, but as Kurin had said, it was threadbare – Katz’s name, for instance, wasn’t in it. But there were dossiers on people who Khodulevich knew to have done business with Katz, and one of the meetings had reportedly taken place at the synagogue. And in the report on that meeting, Herzog, the confidence man turned rabbi, was named.

“I think I need to speak to someone,” Khodulevich said, and gave Kurin an absent salute as he left the office. His feet again began to trace the familiar path to the synagogue, away from the main road and up the path that led to the hills…

Khodulevich would never know what caught his attention – a sound at the very edge of hearing, a change in the air, a flash of motion seen too quickly to process – but something did. With an old soldier’s instinct, he threw himself to the ground, and even as he hit and rolled, a bullet crackled through the space where his head had been a second before. He kept rolling behind a stone wall as another shot spanged off a pebble just in front of it, and he brought his own gun to bear and returned fire. He saw another flash of motion, too quick to follow, and heard footsteps beating a fast retreat. To Popov’s back door, no doubt, he thought, and he decided that Herzog could wait.

So Russia didn't sell (or lose) Alaska post Crimea then?
That's it. The POD (or maybe the second POD - as @yboxman pointed out, the first POD probably involves a slower pace of military reform in Russia) is that the US decided not to spend money on territorial acquisition so soon after the Civil War - maybe Johnson didn't keep Seward on as SoS - and Britain also didn't bite, so Russia kept Alaska by default. Obviously I killed a lot of butterflies by having the Gold Rush and the Russo-Japanese War happen as IOTL, but I'm more interested in telling a story than building a rigorous AH.
This is a very interesting story so far, looking forward to more!
Thanks - more coming!