ACW help: Lincoln's choices for the AoTP commander

I need help understanding why General Meade picked over other generals who were more senior. I know Reynolds refused command due to politics but why weren't other generals like John Sedgwick or O.O Howard chosen?

Saphroneth

Banned
Meade did well at Fredricksburg and at Antietam, so he was one of the ones with actual proven success. Lincoln sometimes seems to have shuffled through commanders quite quickly, so it might just be that he hadn't lost yet!

jahenders

Banned
I'm not aware of what specifically drove Lincoln's thinking in selecting Meade.

However:
- Sedgwick was fairly humble and self-effacing and refused to cultivate any supporters in Washington. He was asked about assuming command after Hooker but stated that "Meade is the right guy for the job."

- O.O. Howard had fairly recently done quite poorly at Chancellorsville, where he left his "flank in the air" despite even being warned by Hooker. His Corps was routed by Jackson. So, not an auspicious "interview" for promotion. BTW, his corps was poorly positioned at Gettysburg and again collapsed.

I need help understanding why General Meade picked over other generals who were more senior. I know Reynolds refused command due to politics but why weren't other generals like John Sedgwick or O.O Howard chosen?