A Great Depression is much worse and no Franklin D, Roosevelt Presidency Could there be an American civil war in the thirties

We should know more details. Why not FDR's presidency? Who is then president in 1933? What happens between 1929 - 1932?

bguy

Donor
Civil war (or violent revolution) is extremely unlikely. Even without FDR as president, even if a very conservative president is somehow elected in 1932, most of the New Deal will still get enacted as the 1930 and 1932 congressional elections are guaranteed to result in an activist Congress being elected that will push relief measures. regardless of what the president wants. (The Congress of this era was full of powerful, capable men like Wagner, Norris, Wheeler, Long, and Garner, all of which will aggressively be pushing for relief and reform measures. Wagner will fight for labor reform, public housing and public works programs, Norris for public power, Wheeler for farm relief, and Garner for banking reform and public works programs.) And the New Deal era Congresses were absolutely capable of overriding a presidential veto when necessary. (As FDR himself found out when Congress overrode his veto of a veteran bonus bill.) Thus even if you have a reactionary president, Congress will just pass its own relief program and override the presidential vetoes as needed.

iddt3

Donor
Also, it's hard to make the great depression much worse? It was really, really, really bad, and the initial responses made with worse, what with the tariffs basically destroying international trade.

Wasn’t there an excellent TL along these lines a few years back. I believe the PoD was MacArthur leading the US army to crush the “Bonus Army” demonstrators?

ric350

Ah, one of the oldest tricks in the book. The Wheelchair Man actually dies of Polio. If the depression was worse, I do see that Butler had a chance of taking up Wall Street's offer, in udder desperation. I also see more radicals getting popular in U.S. Politics, especially the Communist Party. A Second Civil War could be done if the right things were put in motion, but I cannot say if it could actually happen or not. But, if it did, it would knock the U.S. out of Great Power status, for at least a couple of decades. There have been plenty of excellent timelines with this premise, some of which you can actually play yourself. (Think Kaisereich and such.) But, if you do want to make it, I say go ahead but make sure to do ya research.