1806 Anglo-French Alliance

67th Tigers

Banned
A possible PoD.

December 1805 Napoleon tried to arrange a peace treaty with Britain. The terms offered included a joint Anglo-French attack on Prussia, with Britain to be given North Germany.

Any ideas how things would progress had Britain signed on?

Susano

Banned
A possible PoD.

December 1805 Napoleon tried to arrange a peace treaty with Britain. The terms offered included a joint Anglo-French attack on Prussia, with Britain to be given North Germany.

In the same year that France granted Hannover to Prussia? *shrugs* The only question is which side will be quicker with teh dagger in the back...

67th Tigers

Banned
In the same year that France granted Hannover to Prussia? *shrugs* The only question is which side will be quicker with teh dagger in the back...

It was what pushed Prussia over the edge, she was informed (I believe by Britain via Russian channels) that France had offered her North German in exchange for an alliance. This triggered Prussian mobilisation against France.

Susano

Banned
It was what pushed Prussia over the edge, she was informed (I believe by Britain via Russian channels) that France had offered her North German in exchange for an alliance. This triggered Prussian mobilisation against France.

Thats not what I heard. What I hear dis that Prussia was saturated now, and wanted neurtality - and was ready to go to war to defend its neutrality.

67th Tigers

Banned
Thats not what I heard. What I hear dis that Prussia was saturated now, and wanted neurtality - and was ready to go to war to defend its neutrality.

Hanover was a trap, given to Prussia in an attempt to provoke a war between Britain and Prussia. Meanwhile, by dissolving the HRE and creating the Confederation of the Rhine, Napoleon had humiliated Prussia.

Prussia in 1806 was very confident of their ability to defeat Napoleon and saw no problem in simply continuing politics by war. They were so confident (and cash strapped) they only mobilised half the army. Still, those 12 Divisions were very powerful, and if the French hadn't been so rapid in their movements, but that a different story.

Susano

Banned
Hanover was a trap, given to Prussia in an attempt to provoke a war between Britain and Prussia. Meanwhile, by dissolving the HRE and creating the Confederation of the Rhine, Napoleon had humiliated Prussia.
What? Prussia cared not an inch about the HRE. Austria, yes, because it gave its monarch the Imperial title (hence the Austrian eratz-Imperial Title since 1804, as Austria had predicted that course of events), but Prussia could care less. Indeed, they after all were one of the first who had allied with Napoleon. And I doubt Hannover was really such an elabprate trap. It was given to Prussia because Hannover had no use fo rit, and hence why not give it was what back then an ally?

Prussia in 1806 was very confident of their ability to defeat Napoleon and saw no problem in simply continuing politics by war.
Well, thats true. Resting undeservedly on the already quite old laurels of Frederick II...

Faeelin

Banned
More details, please. Give them North Germany how?

In any case, I can't see why the British Parliament would want the abcess of ruling Germany.

A possible PoD.

I really can't see it happening-why would Britain want Northern Germany (beyond Hanover)?

The only arrangement I could see (and for myself it borders on ASB) is if Napoleon somehow managed to entice Britain by offering to transfer France's most prosperous colonies perhaps plus recognising Hanover's current borders in return for British support for a war against Prussia but even then I can't see Britain going for it.