What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

Apparently iirc the Indian rulers there are happy about them establishing posts. Cause trade investment money economy ofc revenue up

What about factories?
Of course. It is nice if they remain as trading posts. But apparently any trading posts built there as to turn into an EIC expy for the writers.

Factories are also cool considering that technology will spread.

Of course. It is nice if they remain as trading posts. But apparently any trading posts built there as to turn into an EIC expy for the writers.

Factories are also cool considering that technology will spread.
So what should instead happen if you were to be asked. I don't see industrialization going to India soon cause like there is too much labour an such cheaper to like to say this either hire people or make serfs/slaves peasants work rather than buy a machine

So what should instead happen if you were to be asked. I don't see industrialization going to India soon cause like there is too much labour an such cheaper to like to say this either hire people or make serfs/slaves peasants work rather than buy a machine
What should happen instead is that trading posts remain as trading posts. Maybe aiding whatever kingdom the land originally belonged to. And it's not like industrialization is something only areas with less population can do. Bengal had a chance at it before the British ended whatever chance it had.

What should happen instead is that trading posts remain as trading posts. Maybe aiding whatever kingdom the land originally belonged to. And it's not like industrialization is something only areas with less population can do. Bengal had a chance at it before the British ended whatever chance it had.
I'm not sure about Bengal industrialising ala scale of the European powers. I'm seeing them like be a consumer economy not export one. Aside from their export if any mainly cash crops and others that Europeans want

The problem is that it is assumed that the trading post is not going to settle for just being a trading post. Rather, they are going to go full BEIC and reinvest their money in armed forces to forcibly conquer large tracts of land. And since the point of the story is to eliminate all part of the British Raj instead of replacing it with the French Raj, the Dutch Raj or the enlarged State of India, the solution is to eliminate all trading posts.

A very common AH trope: "Stations of the canon" but applied to historical events.

For an example: Given a late medieval POD, you'll always have an alt-Reformation, an alt-Thirty Years' War, an alt-bourgeois revolution a la French Revolution, at least one colonial revolution, a Spring of Nations, and two world wars (never less, never more).
I had already pointed out this problem of "temporal parallelism". The worst being when the analogous events are so corresponding that the year is not even changed.
I enjoy breaking it down in my own timeline.

I had already pointed out this problem of "temporal parallelism". The worst being when the analogous events are so corresponding that the year is not even changed.
I enjoy breaking it down in my own timeline.

Sometimes things happen to the day or even the hour, despite the PoD being much earlier.

The problem is that it is assumed that the trading post is not going to settle for just being a trading post. Rather, they are going to go full BEIC and reinvest their money in armed forces to forcibly conquer large tracts of land. And since the point of the story is to eliminate all part of the British Raj instead of replacing it with the French Raj, the Dutch Raj or the enlarged State of India, the solution is to eliminate all trading posts.
Yeah. This is something that the writers try to do every time. I had actually thought up a POD using the Child's War after which the Mughals completely kick the British off the subcontinent and use the nascent French East India company and the Dutch EIC to continue trading with Europe which has the added benefit of major subehdars being one of the stakeholders in the company.

But alas I am not a good writer :(.

The Year: 1900. the Civitates Foederatae Americae is ready to take it's first steps as a world power under it's Consul, Theodorus Roosevelt

The Year: 1900, British North America has rallied behind charismatic military leader Theodore Roosevelt to finally throw off the shackles of British tyranny

The Year: 1900, The United States, smarting over two failed wars against the Confederacy and their dastardly British and French allies, prepares for round three, lead by ... President Theodore Roosevelt ;)

The Year: 1900. the Civitates Foederatae Americae is ready to take it's first steps as a world power under it's Consul, Theodorus Roosevelt

The Year: 1900, British North America has rallied behind charismatic military leader Theodore Roosevelt to finally throw off the shackles of British tyranny

The Year: 1900, The United States, smarting over two failed wars against the Confederacy and their dastardly British and French allies, prepares for round three, lead by ... President Theodore Roosevelt ;)
I for one welcome President Theodore "Eldricht Horror" Roosevelt

I for one welcome President Theodore "Eldricht Horror" Roosevelt

Oh, I ADORE Roosevelt. But one of these days I'm going to write a timeline where it's LaFollette who ends up as President during the Progressive Era, and Roosevelt ends up becoming a influential Senator who is constantly frustrated at his inability to not get the nomination :D

Really? Well atleast someone likes it :). I honestly thought nobody was liking it since I destroyed the Byzantines.
I do!
Sorry for not giving like to the posts as well but Im wary of doing that to months+ old stuff ever since Cal politely asked me to stop because turns out people still get notified of it
(I thought the forum filtered old post likes >.>)
But I still look forward to it if you decide to continue! Its such a underrated POD

The only ways Russia can be successful are by being the Russian Empire (with a Westminster system) or the Soviet Union (reformed to be the United States with a red flag).

In the event that Russia is republican, it is only to become one of the two states mentioned above.
Which is a shame, because there are so many possibilities for how republicanism could have developed and/or evolved in Russia.

Deleted member 163405

The only ways Russia can be successful are by being the Russian Empire (with a Westminster system) or the Soviet Union (reformed to be the United States with a red flag).

In the event that Russia is republican, it is only to become one of the two states mentioned above.
Yes it will be a Soviet Union without literally any Soviet existence or participation in governance

Artificial war delaying, or as I like to call it, suicidal lemming mentality.

Contrary to what the name of the trope might suggest, it does not imply that the country is run by a cabal of crazy militarists (and even if it is, that is irrelevant, because the population supports its government to the bitter end and even after). Even also, losing the war NOT means the extermination of the loser.

It usually comes in three complementary variants:

-Citizens of a country, whether civilian or military, are rabid fanatics who will support the continuation of the war (which they started, or were willing to break out and doing everything possible to make it break out.) This they will do even if the odds are so brutally against him that it's not even funny. This means that even if they are defeated in battle, they will regroup in the shadows and constantly attack as partisans.

-Normally it is the same country, but the government/military of one of the belligerents will try to prolong the war as long as possible because they trust that, if they prolong it long enough, something will happen that will completely turn the situation around.

Normally it is a mystical arcane such as "without a doubt my enemy's economy will collapse and that will allow me to force an end to the war on my terms" or "without a doubt the neutral countries will jump to my aid because due to the balance of powers It isn't in their interest that this one crushes me too much" or "if I drag out the war long enough, I will link it with the next great war and therefore I will have the support of one of the belligerent sides.

-One of the countries will prolong the war because it is trying to force the unconditional surrender of the other. This means repeatedly rejecting offers of negotiated peace, both from his own people and from the enemy, because he is hell-bent on forcing unconditional surrender.

Basically the assumption that the whole world will treat all wars as if they were existential conflicts that admit no other outcome than total victory or total annihilation.

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Artificial war delaying, or as I like to call it, suicidal lemming mentality.

Contrary to what the name of the trope might suggest, it does not imply that the country is run by a cabal of crazy militarists (and even if it is, that is irrelevant, because the population supports its government to the bitter end and even after). ).

It usually comes in three complementary variants:

-Citizens of a country, whether civilian or military, are rabid fanatics who will support the continuation of the war (which they started, or were willing to break out and doing everything possible to make it break out.) This they will do even if the odds are so brutally against him that it's not even funny. This means that even if they are defeated in battle, they will regroup in the shadows and constantly attack as partisans.

-Normally it is the same country, but the government/military of one of the belligerents will try to prolong the war as long as possible because they trust that, if they prolong it long enough, something will happen that will completely turn the situation around.

Normally it is a mystical arcane such as "without a doubt my enemy's economy will collapse and that will allow me to force an end to the war on my terms" or "without a doubt the neutral countries will jump to my aid because due to the balance of powers It isn't in their interest that this one crushes me too much" or "if I drag out the war long enough, I will link it with the next great war and therefore I will have the support of one of the belligerent sides.

-One of the countries will prolong the war because it is trying to force the unconditional surrender of the other. This means repeatedly rejecting offers of negotiated peace, both from his own people and from the enemy, because he is hell-bent on forcing unconditional surrender.

Basically the assumption that the whole world will treat all wars as if they were existential conflicts that admit no other outcome than total victory or total annihilation.
TBF, WW2 really helped cement this, particularly the Eastern front.