What is a common thing or trope that always seem to happen?

How would you write it?
Dont take this as a accusatory response, Im genuinely interested
I wouldn't write anything like what he's described in "my own style" because it's neither intriguing enough for me to want to do, not that I even know how to do that anyway 'cause I don't lol

I've never seen any written or illustrated work if my own as meant to insinuate or try to convey an underlying political context qs a parody or satire or whatever you want to call it, even though I guess I can understand how it may be difficult for people not to assume some kinda of subtext when you are manipulating blatantly political things like borders on maps and politics in stories.

But I have never personally meant any subtext in any of my work and I don't think into that kinda subliminal thing when enjoying content on this forum, so I realize now our (Mit and I) fundamental mental factor is that simple but substantial difference in noticing details. I don't think to look for the subtext when I am not doing certain processes of thinking, when I'm working subtext is as literally important as life and death. When I'm enjoying not working I mentally switch to not scanning for that 'wavelength', so to speak :p

TL;DR: when I'm logged in actively here, I'm not partisan in thinking or reading all too deeply into any double-meaning behind stories or the words from users digital mouths, I'm here to help my brain unwind a little to keep my processors not burnt out `~`

Last edited:
That is fine! And I respect you a hella more for it

Though I'll say I wasnt asking how you'd make what he described, but more so if you were to make your own personal insert how you'd go about building a sightly better society on the narrative

Though I'll say I wasnt asking how you'd make what he described, but more so if you were to make your own personal insert how you'd go about building a sightly better society on the narrative
I'd take a lot of stylistic notes from @Goku_San @Mad Missouri and @RamscoopRaider but other than them giving me a nice framework on how to flesh out the narrative for the story itself it'd be pretty dependent on who I'd be inserting myself into and how it goes down o_O

I've never thought too deep about a self-insert but I'm too honest to believe that I would be able to guarantee to myself or anyone that my time-traveling intervention would lead to a 'better world' with certainty... I'm not exactly a saint, and I would be leaving my child behind so I might be in a sour mood, maybe I self-insert into someone where I can do more damage than I would otherwise if I had brought him back somehow with me, now you're making me brainstorm plot ideas.... maybe that was your ultimate plan? `c`

Last edited:

I personally think one thing people tend to ignore is how good it is to use your audience's own rhetoric to sell them your beliefs as something that aligns with theirs. I think if I had to write something I would approach it from that angle.

But what I typically see is the assumption that people will simply fall in line with whatever stupidity the CEO in charge of the country decrees, or that political and social beliefs and views can and will be dismissed in an instant as soon as people believe that stand between them and the money.

I see it for example in things like the assumption that, for example, the racist owner of a store will quickly remove the "WHITES ONLY" sign from his door, as soon as it seems to him that the owner of the store next door (who does NOT have a "WHITES ONLY" sign) makes more money than him.

(paraphrasing, but I have seen examples similar to this on the forum).

When, in general, if you're the kind of person who puts up a fucking whites-only sign on your store, you're the kind of person who won't give up on that idea so quickly just because you think you're going to make more money.

Last edited:
maybe that was your ultimate plan? `c`
All according to cake!
I'm not exactly a saint, and I would be leaving my child behind so I might be in a sour mood,
Can relate
It's why I only toyed with a self-insert idea using my younger self, who would have welcomed the idea of time travel to escape the hell I was living in without a second thought, as right now I would be leaving my own kid behind and at that point my focus would shift from "bettering society" to how to destroy the world/who did this(whichever came first)

Pluck my mind from the
All according to cake!

Can relate
It's why I only toyed with a self-insert idea using my younger self, who would have welcomed the idea of time travel to escape the hell I was living in without a second thought, as right now I would be leaving my own kid behind and at that point my focus would shift from "bettering society" to how to destroy the world/who did this(whichever came first)
Pluck my mind from the worst day of my life and give it to the opportunities inherent in the the most basic of SI-ISOT threads and that story would get me banned from this website XD

One thing that has always fascinated me is the fixation on the repetition of alternate history with OTL history. The rise of English naval power, the stagnation of the Ottoman Empire, and the fall of the French monarchy are some discussed. Italian and German unification are seen as something that was bound to happen when it was much more likely not to have occurred (failing in the same way the Arab Spring did). Along with this, we have a focus on popular myths, such as the Black Legend of Spain, the Protestant work ethic, and the tolerant multiracial and multireligious Al-Andalus (by the way, what is this fixation on transforming North Africa ethnically into the Congo? From Cleopatra to Hannibal, the US depicts them as black, where are the Berber/Tunisian actors?).

By the way, the Ottomans, despite being heavily criticized, are the most significant Islamic empire. Without them, I would say that the Islamic realms would have had a very difficult 16th and 17th century. Now, regarding the African kingdoms (sub-Saharan), we basically have three strong centers: the Horn of Africa (with Ethiopia being the most interesting in my opinion), West Africa (especially in the Gulf of Guinea), and the Congo region (with the Kingdom of Congo). They are usually fairly represented in alternate histories (sometimes the author exaggerates in a clumsy way, like Ethiopia winning a naval battle in the Atlantic against Portugal, but apart from that, they tend to be well represented). Besides that, there's a rather peculiar issue that can't be resolved, which is the Anglo-centric view of the problems (After all, the site is in English, and I imagine that the vast majority of people are from Anglophone countries). So, we have a certain tendency for England to go Protestant and the USA to exist (along with the UK rules the waves).

Another thing that I've read more than once is that until naval technology advances enough, a coastal/ Mediterranean navy is irrelevant on the open sea, and the same goes for an open sea navy in relation to the Mediterranean. Some countries like Spain had so much money that this wasn't a problem, so they could fight in the Mediterranean against the Ottomans, France in the Caribbean, England on the coast of Ireland, and triple the army without major issues (well, outside of the semi-economic implosion in the future). But without access to this money, it's not feasible. Another thing is that rich colonies/large empires don't necessarily mean developed kingdoms. The Mughal Empire, Manchu China, Tsarist Russia, and the Ottomans were all gunpowder empires. They had technology but couldn't keep up with the technological advancement of smaller countries (like Belgium). Russia managed to dig itself out of this hole of partial advancement, and the Ottomans almost did. Modernization and Westernization were a crazy and difficult process to succeed. Egypt tried and ended up trapped in eternal debt (as did most that only achieved partial progress).

Honestly I've seen way more Spain-wank TLs than Black Legend ones, it almost makes me doubt whether it really is a problem at all or not an exaggeration by people who propagate the White Legend (that the Spanish Empire was good).

Honestly I've seen way more Spain-wank TLs than Black Legend ones, it almost makes me doubt whether it really is a problem at all or not an exaggeration by people who propagate the White Legend (that the Spanish Empire was good).
I've only seen one "black legend" TL here which was just a Spain wank where the legend was made real

I think there is a AH tradition of "Spain wank = bad ending where everything is worse and the world is a catholic dystopia" like Turtledove's Ruled Britannia for one but the majority of them were made outside the forum

They do influence how people see Spain of course(though not any more than the educational system) but the people who make medieval/early modern TLs here are more concerned about alt-pairings and the european powers fight for supremacy, so wheter they're "evil"(specially when it comes to their colonies) matters little to the story

I mean Portugal was worse than Spain in every way but I dont see people hold a grudge against them when making TLs either, well other than me anyway lol

This doesnt mean however that there arent plenty of screws of countries people personally dislike here, but that we already talked about some pages ago with Mitridates

I think there is a AH tradition of "Spain wank = bad ending where everything is worse and the world is a catholic dystopia" like Turtledove's Ruled Britannia for one but the majority of them were made outside the forum
Even then, I can't think of any outside of Harry Turtledove
They do influence how people see Spain of course(though not any more than the educational system) but the people who make medieval/early modern TLs here are more concerned about alt-pairings and the european powers fight for supremacy, so wheter they're "evil"(specially when it comes to their colonies) matters little to the
Exactly, and I think there's a tendency toward wanking Spain/Hispanic countries in most TLs. I mean just compare how many TLs you can think of where Mexico becomes richer in this forum alone. I don't really perceive any anti-Hispanic bias in this forum...
This doesnt mean however that there arent plenty of screws of countries people personally dislike here, but that we already talked about some pages ago with Mitridates
I'll never forgive what they did to Brazil in The American System 😔😔

I attribute that to the fact that generally what I have seen in many TL is that either Spain is ignored, or it is treated like "the Russian Empire, but even more idiots."

That is, as a ridiculously backward and reactionary country, hostile to science and anything that even remotely smacks of progress, and normally not a threat...

...because this Spain it's too busy trying (and failing) not to implode in on itself, or being attacked by its neighbors (naturally Anglo-Saxons and Protestants) who want a piece of its clay, or suffering separatist revolutions so ridiculously violent that it seems that the objective is to destroy the region rather than make it independent.

Basically, the most common approach I see is "look what a pathetic country, I don't even know why we let them continue to exist, why don't we attack them?".

Which makes me almost end up preferring that the authors ignore the existence of Spain because then they are less likely to indulge in some unhealthy punitive fantasy.

As for the white legend, I haven't seen anything around here at all that fits that approach. I actually see it as one of those things where I've seen more people complaining about how supposedly common it is than people actually doing it.

That is, as a ridiculously backward and reactionary country, hostile to science and anything that even remotely smacks of progress, and normally not a threat...

...because this Spain it's too busy trying (and failing) not to implode in on itself, or being attacked by its neighbors (naturally Anglo-Saxons and Protestants) who want a piece of its clay, or suffering separatist revolutions so ridiculously violent that it seems that the objective is to destroy the region rather than make it independent.
I don't doubt that this exists in Harry Turtledove or like 2000s AHs, but now? I've never seen this happen, in fact TLs like Cinco de Mayo or No GNW where despite not being the main focus Spain has a much better fate than OTL

As for the white legend, I haven't seen anything around here at all that fits that approach. I actually see it as one of those things where I've seen more people complaining about how supposedly common it is than people actually doing it.
There was an user (don't know if he's active so I'm not mentioning any names) which would always criticize Tupac Amaru's rebellion as self-interested and portray the Spanish Empire as good for Native Americans

I don't doubt that this exists in Harry Turtledove or like 2000s AHs, but now? I've never seen this happen, in fact TLs like Cinco de Mayo or No GNW where despite not being the main focus Spain has a much better fate than OTL

There was an user (don't know if he's active so I'm not mentioning any names) which would always criticize Tupac Amaru's rebellion as self-interested and portray the Spanish Empire as good for Native Americans
Curiously, I see it mainly in TLs set in the period 1800 - 2000 and in ASB. Cinco de Mayo I have to continue reading it because I think I haven't gotten to the Spanish part yet.

No, I definitely don't think I knew that user, I would remember something like that.

Basically Brazil balkanizes after a war with Argentina... in the 1890s... under a son of Pedro II... when national unity was already very strong.
Still pretty good graphics for the TL though
Headcanon its just a brazilian ploy to leave the other countries with a false sense of security