These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Well....that certainly escalated quickly. Thankfully seems to have been stopped before things got too serious. Will not be surprised if Quincy finds himself on the end of a short rope

I noticed a small mistake here.
4996231f4b0aa6f491c5c6bb8143d7736665fe1a_s2_n2.jpg

From what I understand, the TFS pound sterling to OTL pound ratio is around 1:33, so that would be around $1120 in today's money. Not a bad gift for Christmas, eh?
I'm assuming they found a way to make WIN work lol. Obviously this world never had anything close to Bretton Woods, although I assume the resort itself is still up in NH in some form or another.

Ashley - just to confirm, were the Wurtemburgs made into kings of Swabia?

This is not correct - Bon-Adrien Jeannot de Moncey was made the King of Swabia

A very British coup (attempt) indeed!

Absolutely!

To use the modern parlance of our times in OTL, "Quincy fucked around and found out." Delightfully done CA, bravo.

Thank you very much! And it's so true.

So the Lord President is basically the executive for the whole British Empire, distinct from it's constituent states?

The pre-coup structure fo the British Empire can be found here:

kV1HrS8.png

Absolutely, I've been reading through the message history in the main channel for the past few hours. I hadn't checked it since mid-January so there was a lot to get through beforehand, although I will say having more context for the timeline is always nice. Loved the map showing the much larger Native American population in the US, for example. The highly technical discussions are interesting as well—I'm no expert in stuff like rail gauges, but I liked reading the detailed posts about the United States' options for financing its postwar reconstruction and integrating into the global economy. Some of that analysis may be obsoleted by the crisis that's engulfed the British Empire allowing the Americans to pick up the pieces and start attracting French and Russian investment without facing a British economic blockade as some posters had theorized.

I'm so glad you like it! We love those who lurk, those who contribute, it's all the same to us! It adds a new dimension to the timeline, that people can watch and follow along in. I feel it adds a lot more to the depth, more than I could do on this website!

I noticed a small mistake here.
View attachment 715664

Even the Beeb is known to misspell!

Heh £25 Christmas cheque. What does that equal in OTL money?

It's around $1,000 as the poster below mentioned!

From what I understand, the TFS pound sterling to OTL pound ratio is around 1:33, so that would be around $1120 in today's money. Not a bad gift for Christmas, eh?

Yeah not too bad. Not life changing , but it's enough to buy my vote

Exactly why it's a great campaign move

Well, THAT just happened. Where would Quincy even go after the coup attempt?

Not Britain!

I'm assuming they found a way to make WIN work lol. Obviously this world never had anything close to Bretton Woods, although I assume the resort itself is still up in NH in some form or another.

No - the world remains tied to a medal standard. The British Pound itself is backed by a currency mixture that is set by legislation. Price fluctiations and purchasing power are the most common reasons for the currency valuation to change. The British demands to keep the gold standard are actually what helped to exacerbate the Long Depression.

The pre-coup structure fo the British Empire can be found here:
That answers nothing. If the diagram (which I checked before asking) had answered it for me, I wouldn't have asked.

Because neither that diagram or the twitter timeline made it very clear exactly what the relationship between the Lord President of the British Empire and the Prime Minister (presumably of the UK?) actually *is*.

That answers nothing. If the diagram (which I checked before asking) had answered it for me, I wouldn't have asked.

Because neither that diagram or the twitter timeline made it very clear exactly what the relationship between the Lord President of the British Empire and the Prime Minister (presumably of the UK?) actually *is*.
This response seems a bit rude. I think the idea of having a Lord President is to try to create a supranational government for the Empire on the whole, similar to how the European Union in our world functions. The United Kingdom is just a continuant part of The Empire, now it should be noted as you will see in that diagram that there is vast inequality throughout The Empire and the United Kingdom is placed at the top of this structure, but the Empire wide government attempts to make a separation between the Government of the United Kingdom led by the Prime Minister and the Government of The Empire

I'm pretty sure if you asked most people in TFS, they wouldn't be able to give you a straight answer either.

First, there's no need to be so rude about it. Second, your question of "Who's in charge here?" actually gets to the heart of one of the Empire's key problems - because every structure in the Empire was created piecemeal and haphazardly, there are a lot of overlapping duties and prerogatives. For instance, both the Imperial Council and UK Parliament claim legislative supremacy over the whole Empire, but just before the attempted Quincy coup, there was a law passed by Parliament that would have ensured that the Imperial Council had to send any laws for Parliament's approval, thus elevating the status of the UK Parliament above that of the Council. The Lord President is supposed to be the executive power of the British Empire, but both the Queen (who appoints him) and the Prime Minister (who controls the other major legislative body in the Empire) also have quite a bit of power, and until now, all three people could claim to be the most powerful figures in the British Empire. Nobody knows who's in charge, and after the coup, there will likely be a lot of restructuring so that there's a clearer chain of command in the Empire than the gnarled mess you are seeing right now.

I hardly think explaining that your answer was unhelpful is rude. Especially since just saying 'oh hey, here's this diagram I already posted without any further details' is a pretty dismissive answer.

Thank you for providing further clarification, however. It's appreciated,

I hardly think explaining that your answer was unhelpful is rude. Especially since just saying 'oh hey, here's this diagram I already posted without any further details' is a pretty dismissive answer.

Thank you for providing further clarification, however. It's appreciated,
Communication on the internet can be difficult but you did come off as rude to me and at least one other person. Remember this is not Ashley's job it's a hobby and she is under no obligation to provide any content to us on demand. This is all supposed to be fun