The Dukes of Fernau, for now.

37. Libau, Courland, up to Summer 1655
  • Winds of Change - part one

Libau and Windau vied with Riga and Königsberg to be the foremost ports on the Eastern side of the Baltic. Of the four, Riga was the most formidable city, the others being relative upstarts. Riga had the natural advantage of being at the mouth of the Düna river, a convenient trade route for goods from Lithuania and the central parts of Russia. Goods that could as easily go overland Jakob eagerly encouraged to pass overland to meet the Baltic at Libau or Windau instead. Further west, the river Windau that gave the Couronian port its name was already convenient for some Lithuanian goods headed for the Baltic, though the Memel river further south was a stronger conduit for trade out of Lithuania - trade that would then pass via Königsberg or Memel (or Memelburg).

Jakob had chipped away at Riga's share of Baltic trade. Memel and Königsberg were ruled by his brother-in-law, and when it came to matters Baltic and matters trade, he got along rather well with his brother-in-law. So neither Prussia nor Courland undermined each other. Prussia/Brandenburg focused somewhat on being pre-eminent in German trade, or broader European trade. Courland focused on developing industry both as its own reward and as a way of supporting its profitable colonial ventures.

Libau was already the most active port for one thing, though: mail. The Martin Maritime Academy voraciously drew letters, books, and learned people from across Europe, sending others back out. The "Invisible College" of learned folk across Europe, or whatever those smart letter-writers called it, either brought letters in or letters out, and that brought more people in, who sent and received still more letters, which drew more people....

The thing was that Courland's high and still-growing religious tolerance, coupled with Libau's tolerance for the most controversial or fanciful ideas, led to a potent blend of intellect and risk. Risk and intellect each had a way of amplifying the other.

William Petty's ideas came in first via mail from England (or Ireland) to Libau, initially on economic matters in correspondence with Jakob and others, and later on any matters for which his wide-ranging brilliance found a worthy pen-pal.

Today, Jakob was looking at one product of that correspondence. Petty's wide-ranging ideas saw Libau shipwrights (and academy students) build the Zwillingkufe, a third or fourth or fifth iteration of a ship design based on one Petty had included in a wide-ranging missive about ships, wind, water resistance, economics, accompanied by some work-in-progress mathematical formulae on each topic.

experiment.jpg

The first iteration or two were miniature models, fairly faithful to Petty's hull design, built entirely by academy students and tested - unmanned - in the Libau lake. By now, the students' zeal for maximizing whatever features might prove most measurably impactful about the two-hull design had already evolved it into still greater an oddity. The third Zwillingkufe was neither a scaled-up version of the first two unmanned miniatures, nor a scaled-down version of the two-decked vessel in Petty's design. On a long visit to Libau, to Jakob and the Academy, Petty himself needed a moment to process how the changes might affect the craft.

The third ZK (Petty avoided mangling the full name) was out of all proportion with his Double-Bottom idea. The ship was much smaller (he'd intended a gun deck and main deck, but the ZK's deck looked scarcely bigger than a large raft. Petty hadn't focused on sails, because the novel idea was about the hulls and their minimal contact and resistance against the water. After shrinking the scale of the ship from his original design, these mad Courlanders then equipped the ZK with the largest lateen sail they thought it could manage, simply because it was the best way to amplify the testable difference between this design and a single-hull ship. It was still only testing the ideas, but testing different aspects of them.

But oh, what testing.

It had already outraced a monohull with a matching sail, and was now frequently seen zipping around near Libau, advertising Couronian endeavour or madness. Sailors on inbound ships respected its speed, sailors based in Libau saw the abusive sailing it endured in the name of testing and mistook it for deficiency, and shook their heads.

The fourth and fifth ZKs followed, with growing ambition and scale. Watching both grow in the shipyard, enough sailors kept scoffing at the double hulls for it to influence the design - if you couldn't get enough sailors enthusiastic about sailing it, then it needed to be able to handled by a smaller crew. Square-rigging was out, as that took more men. The biggest ZK would be rigged fore-and-aft on both masts, without a topsail, and with a jib as the only staysail never to leave the design. As a ship meant to not tip all that much, its main deck was still lower than it might have been as a monohull. The shipwrights were working on a modest gun deck now - in Courland, passing up an opportunity to experiment was counted as a failure of missed opportunity.

While work continued on that, the fourth ZK was out on the water too. Two-masted like her under-construction sister, but smaller and without guns, designed for up to 4 sails and as few as two sailors.

Jakob, ever impatient for innovation to be taken up and made use of, undercut the sailors' resistance most simply: he asked for ten of the most vocally skeptical sailors in Libau to be invited to tested to serve as his personal crew for a coming voyage on the Baltic, with a bonus in pay to those selected.

When Jakob then selected the fourth ZK as the ship on which he would travel, the academy students suddenly found the third ZK unavailable for their joy rides around the harbour.

But they consoled themselves watching the feats the professional sailors managed on their craft. The sailors had watched the students sail it, now the students watched the sailors. And that reversal of roles gave the ship a nickname: Der Zweifler (the Skeptic), punning on the ship's two hulls (zwei Rümpfe).

- - -

Part two will be a conversation at the destination of Jakob's voyage on Der Zweifler. First correct guess as to the destination gets a character named after them (I reserve the right to get creative if their handle is less suited to a name).

Anyone interested in speculating as to the value of a ship that is effectively a catamaran-hulled schooner, feel free. Courland and I make this stuff mostly for fun, then see where it goes.

38. Memel, Prussia, Summer 1655.
  • Winds of Change - part two

From Libau, Der Zweifler stayed near the coast, heading south. Its journey would be only fifty nautical miles. It was accompanied by two sloops with enough capacity for all the sailors and Kettlers in the event the experimental ship failed en route.

The first stretch of the coast was along the last stretch of the duchy's coastline. Though its border with Lithuania ran more-or-less east-to-west, it curved southward at both ends. In the east, that extended Semigallia right down the left bank of the Düna to Dünaburg; here in the west, it meant Courland extended south of Libau all the way to Polangen and just beyond it.

Where Courland ended, Prussia began. Together, their borders looked like fangs closing on the Baltic, Courland the upper tooth, Prussia the bottom one. The closing of those fangs deprived Lithuania of a Baltic coastline, though Lithuania was near enough the water to hike with a picnic from Lithuania midmorning, enjoy lunch and a swim, and make it back to Lithuanian territory in time for a well-earned late afternoon nap. Just one of many ways strange borders tempted conflict around the Baltic.

A little past Polangen, then, was Prussia. Its coastline was mostly two long sand spits protecting two huge lagoons in the southeasternmost corner of the Baltic. The ancient Kurs whose presence gave Courland its name extended here too (and were peppered through Lithuania's Samogitia region between), so the the more northerly spit was the Couronian Spit, protecting the Couronian lagoon. And just across from where that spit very nearly connected to land again at its northern extremity, the Teutonic Knights had built one of their better castles. As the Knights had, the Prussians called it Memel. The Baltic peoples has various names for it, some resembling Memel and others resembling the Samogitian Klaipieda. Memel was Prussia's second-largest city and port after Königsberg.

When they neared the channel separating the spit from the coast north of it, they shifted to sail with one sloop ahead of and one astern of Der Zweifler, and turned in toward the lagoon and into port like that. For the rest of their stay, the Courland sailors entertained any idle sailors of Memel by continuing to test the limits of what their mad ship of Courland timber and Courland manufacture could do, out on the Couronian lagoon.

The ancient Kurs, once fierce sailors who repelled even vikings from these shores, might have been proud at the coincidence.

- - -

News of the strange boat flying Courland's black crayfish on a field of raspberry red came to Memel Castle on horseback, allowing Duke Frederick William to meet his guests at the pier. He spent the far greater share of his time in Berlin, or at least in Brandenburg. Though Prussia was his, it wasn't home in quite the same way. Both because he spent little time in Königsberg since leaving it a dozen years earlier, and because Prussia, like Courland and Semigallia, was a vassal of Poland. He was the restless lord of two restless lands, Elector of one and Duke of the other. Still other lands gave him other titles. Formalities.

Formality had its place, and the docks of Memel weren't that place. Frederick William got to der Zweifler before any herald could breathe a word of announcement. It had been too long since he'd seen his sister and her husband.

"Charlotte!" He spread his arms wide. "Sister. I trust you are not sea-sick, having sailed so long on that contraption?"
    "Little brother!" They embraced. "How good to see you, and so good of you to meet us halfway. I do hope you'll have time for a little sail with us - you'll likely find our ship remarkably stable. I have neither sea-sickness nor morning sickness."
    She pulled back to arm's length to let him see her belly, and to take stock of changes in her brother. At thirty-four, his long, light brown hair was not yet thinning, his belly was not yet too stout. But his body language was unmistakable.
    "You look good, brother. And," she turned to draw Jakob into their conversation, "you so clearly wish to get on with some business. Lead us."
    Frederick William relaxed a smidgen at her recognition.
    "You know me well, sister. But I'll spare a moment to remind you you still look better than I do, even in your state. Your husband is doing something right in his care for you."
    Jakob smiled.
    "Good to see you, Fred, as ever. How fare Luise and your new son?"
    "Both well, but despite my great love for my sister, I regret I've brought neither with me to meet you both. Little Charles is too small, the travel too long, and the nobles in Prussia are somewhat unruly. You, on the other hand, seem to have come en famille, mon ami?" He looked at the youths before him.
    "Martin von Kettler," said the taller one, his eyes pausing their apparent memorization of the layout of Memel's port to introduce himself. "And my little brother, Joachim. Our little Frederick and baby Charles stayed home with our sisters."
    "You're both at least a head taller than I remember you, boys. Anyway. Welcome, all of you, to Memel, and to Prussia. Let's get you all refreshed at the castle, shall we?"

- - -

Joachim, now 7, was content to have a quiet castle to explore. He was never left alone, whether it was his Prussian guide leading him or the Couronian minder following him when he chose directions differently than his guide. However errant that made his exploration of the castle, Martin always managed to find them when he chose to. Joachim needed watching, and Joachim was more confident when he thought Martin was either watching or close at hand.

The rest of the time, Martin drifted back to his parents and his uncle, conspicuously grazing on buns or cheese or fruit or refilling a water glass. Inconspicuously, also listening with fierce attention. A conversation between two powerful and impatient men, and a clever woman they both loved. They got to the point quickly.

"Jakob, there is likely war coming. And even if there isn't war, there's change coming that might prove just as disruptive. I've managed to build up a meaningful army. My lands won't get pushed around, but they're all disconnected, so there's always risk some defences slip somewhere."
    "I assume you mean political defences as much as military ones."
    "Certainly. Sweden is restless, and between the good they were seen to do at Westphalia and the attention Mad Kristina's drawn to them, they have so many relationships ready to tip for them or against them. Poland elected Charles Ferdinand in the hopes he'd get them on a war footing. You can argue whether he's succeeding at it with how the szlachta are chafing at paying taxes, but you can't argue they're in better shape than when their boy king died."
    "I am pleased you feel you are ready for what comes. But, you have also invited us here, so I take it you have a proposal? A change of your own to turn disruption toward advantage?"
    "Sister, you see why I like your husband so. His intelligence and impatience feel so kindred to me." He sipped his brandy. "Sweden has approached me with an offer of vassalage for Prussia. I didn't want to accept without us considering whether Courland and Semigallia might also switch suzerains."

Louise Charlotte's thoughts went back to a happy afternoon kicking over chairs in the company of Jakob's ministers. "The Baltic would be a Swedish lake with Danish islands in it. Sweden and Denmark would be at war, with the Dutch aiding the Danes... Britain might join politically, but would be inconsequential militarily...."
    Jakob picked up the baton.
    "....Poland would be at your throat, whether in Prussia or Brandenburg. I can only assume you'd be spoiling to take Danzig and connect Prussia and Brandenburg?"

Frederick William nodded. "Yes, if and only if that's the path I choose. Or we choose."
    "What of Russia?"
    "What, indeed? Therein lies another possibility. Suppose we decide we don't favour a Swedish Baltic. Two other options seem interesting to consider. Concessions to whomever needs them, and then an end to vassalage for both of us, at the same time. The neutrality you've invested so much in, tempered by a favour here or there, but otherwise fully-developed, rather than my approach of juggling shifting alliances."

"You said two other options." Louise Charlotte glanced at her husband, then settled her eyes on her brother, waiting. "It couldn't be vassalage to Lithuania. Denmark, perhaps?"

The answer came from elsewhere in the room.

"Russia would surely be glad to have us as Baltic vassals, uncle." All three adults turned to Martin, whose own attention was apparently focused on disassembling the components of a sweet bun.

"Martin. I hadn't realized how well you were spying on us in each of your visits to this room. I imagine once your father lets you loose on Europe, any number of great universities will be glad to test whether they can add to your intelligence."

Martin had heard praise for his mind before, and its ability to muster thoughts expected of someone older. But conjecture about his own life when he would be a few years older was new, and gave him pause.

"Sit with us, Martin. And tell me, what would Russian vassals on the Baltic bring?"

Martin looked to each of his parents, then back to his uncle. "I don't know. It seems harder to guess than it would be with Poland or Sweden."

"Harder to guess. Just so. Harder to guess."

"Brother, have you made enquiries to Russia to this end?"

"Not quite, sister. I make sure I have all sorts of conversations with all sorts of people, always churning. Always ready to turn a corner if needed. But the conversations where it's me suggesting making a move, those I reserve for family, and for trusted allies. Less so those who are harder to guess. Now," he rose. "Shall we take a little stroll for a bit, then see where our thoughts lead us at dinner?"

39. Memel, Prussia, Summer 1655.
  • Winds of Change - part three

The visit to Memel lasted three days in all. Enough time for Joachim to grow bored of the castle's interior more than once, turning his attention to its moat that doubled as a place for the most privileged to dock smaller boats. Joachim's gentle misadventures were most satisfying when accompanied by his brother, whose presence seemed to expand the range of permissions available to them. Martin added to his brother's enjoyment indirectly rather than directly: he wasn't especially fun personality-wise, but he took satisfaction in enabling or discovering more enjoyable activities.

Alone, Joachim enjoyed trying to skip stones in the moat, a challenge given he was rarely throwing from water-level. He enjoyed throwing stones a safe distance away from boats to get a reaction from his minders, who invariably thought a greater distance might be safer. He ran down the docks and tried to board the boats, and usually was brought back quickly. He laughed, he got bored.

With Martin, Joachim got to ride in the boats. Martin was just trusted like that. First they rowed a little, up and down and around. Then Martin "borrowed" a simple little sailboat and took his brother for a ride, prompting gleeful laughter from Joachim as they escaped his minders for some minutes, sailing (and paddling) out to the strait connecting the lagoon to the sea. It was good to have a good brother. For Joachim, he felt the best of the world was available to him when his brother was around. For Martin, the satisfaction of leadership, responsibility, the clear certainty of success announced by his brother's evident joy. And all the good con- words. Confidence. Conspiring. Maybe even Control for the autonomy he gained with each demonstration of his trustworthiness - the more so if demonstrated in mischief. Joachim's cackling was an ever-welcome catalyst and reward.

Joachim paid it forward, too. Back home, he would tickle his little brothers and sisters generously, revelling in their giggles. Martin left him to it; whether it was the low difficulty, low commitment required or the brevity of the dividends, tickling for giggles held little interest for him.

- - -

"You and I have been on parallel courses for a decade or more. Making something more out of the lands and leadership we've inherited. I very nearly have my army at a level where I'd trust them against the army of any other Baltic nation. I would say you have the Baltic's finest navy by a great margin except that so few of your ships are anywhere near the Baltic at any given time. Around us, Poland's nobles reluctantly help their King to prepare a warring force; they have no navy worth speaking of. Mount a cannon on each of your three ships down at my docks, and you might defeat Poland's navy with it. Russia has nothing on the Baltic but naked ambition and trade, and half that trade passes via you or Sweden already. Denmark's days of holding Sweden in check may be fading. Even your leased Flekkerøy may be a target. You've made Courland and Semigallia an epicentre of manufacture, commerce, and international trade. Without war, I should expect half of the Russian trade passing from Novgorod to Sweden might come your way via Kreuzburg within ten years - sooner if your engineers get that bridge done sooner."

Frederick William rose, to look out a window toward the Baltic.

"You and I may be the only ones around the Baltic who aren't focused on controlling it, or controlling who has access to it. Me, I have enough trouble juggling these separate realms and their separate needs. Connecting them would secure Brandenburg's influence within the Empire for a generation or more - that's worth more to me than the Baltic. You send ships far beyond Europe without much care for more local affairs, profiting from distant trade and reinvesting that here and in your colonies. To you, the Baltic is a starting point and an end point, you need only a coast from which to send and receive ships, and the men and means to make them. But those men and means are a form of wealth, Jakob, no less than the arteries of trade you've invested in expanding on the Düna, overland, or on the Windau or Libau rivers. You have invested greatly, your investments have paid off handsomely, and now all the wealth of capability and commerce Courland has makes your duchy a target. You Kettlers have always envied Riga, and now I would be surprised if Sweden and Russia and Lithuania and even Poland and Denmark didn't agree Libau is now the better prize. You must be able to defend what you have, Jakob. If you cannot, you will lose it for no better reason than the abundant strength of someone with equally abundant envy or greed. "

"You are right that of all my investments, defending the land is one I've put too little into. I've inherited from Poland the problem of nobles who resist contributing to an army on the one hand, and rail against any army I might build myself on the other. I am constrained, but I will see what else I can muster. Still - we are here together, and brothers-in-law. What might you desire of me for our mutual benefit?"

"I appreciate your candour. For our mutual benefit.... One: do not allow Lithuania access to the sea. Help Lithuanian trade pass via Prussia and Courland all we can, but we must not let it bypass us. Two: should Prussia or Courland leave their vassalage to Poland, they do so together. Three, I would gladly name the Kettlers of Courland as the heirs to Prussia should my line ever be extinguished, if you would do the same for me. Just Prussia - I must make other provisions for Brandenburg and my other holdings."

"Consider points one, two, and three accepted. With thanks. Am I right to assume you are more inclined to side with Sweden against Poland than with Poland and whoever else against Sweden in Pomerania?"

"Yes on both counts. Pomerania would be a fine prize, even shared with Poland. But independence, recognition of it, and some small hope of Danzig? Better. And, to face the weakest local power allied to the strongest seems prudent."

"As you've said, the weakest is me. Give or take plentiful powder and mostly absent ships."

"Sell me all the powder you can't properly use yourself. God knows you produce it in more abundance than anyone else on the Baltic. Keep Denmark as your friend. Russia too, if you can. Their high priest or whatever they call him is pissing off a lot of people, including some wonderfully fortified monasteries full of monks. For all we know it's the start of getting the people angry to direct that anger somewhere. Try not to let it be toward you."

- - -

Der Zweifler sailed back the way it came the next morning, lagging behind its accompanying ships to start, then outpacing them on a lucky wind. By the time they paused at Polangen, Martin was confident he'd learned enough of the ZK's quirks from the sailors to propose joining the crew in sailing it the rest of the way. The Duke and Duchess wanted to get home quickly anyway, feeling there was much to consider and more to do. They greeted some prominent locals, including the family of Tevel ben Elisha's wife, for whom they gave him letters to send to Fernau.

When der Zweifler set off North again, Jakob was thoughtful. So much he'd built. So many lives changed. So much that hadn't been Courland before was Courland now. And so much was at risk.

He barely noticed how fast Martin had persuaded the sailors to sail. Joachim did, though. And Joachim was laughing.

40. Libau, and Goldingen, Summer 1655.
  • Jakob's desk - part one

As it turns out, my duke, not a single ship has truly docked at Saint Helena. Not in my tenure, not ever. The island and its entire coast is simply too rugged. Our goal of a dry dock will never be possible. Instead, we've build a series of rafts, each linked to the next by chain, so that a ship at anchor can be surrounded by them and more easily worked on than from the ship's boats. This will provide less valuable a service than a dry dock. It has still helped some ship repairs take moderately less time than otherwise.
    Our main profit is from our taverns. Saint Helena is - forgive my bluntness - the loneliest brothel in the world. Loneliness is advantageous to a brothel of course. Men who have not seen a woman in weeks pay us extremely well for the women we keep. We buy captive women from the rare ships that have them, with beauty and a lack of apparent disease the only considerations. I was astounded at the price we would pay for a girl, only to make back our money in an even more astonishing period of time. Our men are all from Europe, save some few slaves from Africa and Madagascar. But we now have women from almost anywhere that ships have sailed.
    It would not be wrong to think of our island as a castle on the ocean. We have the most perfect moat, no drawbridge, and the thickest stone walls build by God's own hand. Then the places where there is green and life rather than barren rock are inland. We can enjoy either the see or the green, nowhere do the two meet. The few of us with families live inland to steer clear of sailors. They farm, growing what we can to feed ourselves and our guests. Some trees and crops from Tobago and Fernau have taken. Root vegetables are still growing best of all.
    I am pleased to say we have fully vanquished the wild dogs. We still have dogs, but we've domesticated any that remain.....
    - - -
    Our small congregation thanks you, my lord, or accepting us, and to Tsarina Irina who led us to seek you out. We further thank you for allowing us to settle in Windau rather than closer to Russia. We still fear reprisal from Patriarch Nikon, and did not want to have only the Düna between ourselves and Russia. We are being called the "Old Believers" now. Some take offence. I find the name fits. We are grateful to bring our Old ways to this New land.
    - - -

I also sent Tevel a copy of these poor maps for his people to work on. I am nearly certain there is no second Nile flowing east to west. Our rivers here all bend to the south, where there are highlands. The Gambia, the Casamance and others. We have learned a lot thanks to Crispina Peres and her people. We are now good neighbours. The next river we seek to follow inland will be the Senegal. We will avoid the French at Saint-Louis, and walk or ride overland from the Gambia to meet the Senegal farther upriver. There is no other remaining river that may reach further east. We have lost a dozen men or more to this exploring, and will lose more before we finish. We are at least making friends, and friends inland help us gain slaves from
    their enemies at better prices than Europeans find at the coast. So long as you keep replacing the men we lose, there is profit to you and the men who succeed in your endeavours.
    - - -
    I offer my suzerainty, Duke Yakov, to see to your proper defence. Also: Russian blood to strengthen your line. Romanov blood. Your heir Martin Yakovich shall wed my daughter Yevdokia Alekseyevna. My advisors may tell me to marry her to a Hapsburg, but no Hapsburg can bring Russia to the Baltic. I will generously consent to wait for your son to study in a university we agree to, somewhere. And your Svyatoy Martin Akademiya will gain many Russian students and teachers. Together we shall link Baltic trade to the Volga and the Orient, for great profit. What say you, Duke Yakov?
    - - -
    The only sensible option is to join Sweden, Duke Jakob. together with Prussia the Baltic shall be ours, to preside over trade of amber, honey, and all the grain from those breadbaskets of the East. And our colonies! From America to the Caribbean to the Black Slave Coasts, we will have trade and navies nearing parity with the Dutch! Send me word that you will join us, and I will see that Karl Gustav is generous with Courland and Semigallia...
    - - -

My lord Duke, your son is not wrong. Astronomers will surely learn to predict eclipses with ever-greater accuracy. You give him access to some of Europe's best stargazing mathematicians, your glassworks turn out the what may be the best telescopes in all the world, and you wonder that your heir takes such a keen interest in the great half-solved questions of the skies? That eclipses of the sun recur in regular patterns has long been known. WHEN has become a simple matter of matching up with previous documented celestial patterns. WHERE precisely the shadow of the moon will darken the Earth, though... there remains something unknown there barring our way to having such geographic precision. There are subtleties to the moon's dance we have not learned to follow as yet.
    Now, if your son has effectively commissioned a catalogue of known eclipses, that strikes me as something that will help mathematicians greatly.
    Not yet, of course, but whenever they've figured out what their missing piece is. It's like Kepler, simplified by a vastly narrower focus. And you say he showed you maps of Europe with bands upon it for the path of totality for both the eclipse of last summer and spring of '52? Marvellous.
    One day we will draw lines on the map like that, and they will tell where the moon's shadow will land, on what future day and at what foreseen hour. Quite useless until then, I'm afraid. But still another fine curiosity for your eminent Couronian cartographers all the same.

- - - -

[leaving all these without names, dates, or locations seems all part of the fun]

40. Libau, and Goldingen, Summer 1655.
  • Jakob's desk - part two

My dearest brother in Christ, I am of course saddened to hear that your armies are faring so much worse against Cromwell's than your navies are faring against his navies. Like you, I had thought that wresting majority control of the East India Company into royal and loyal hands would give you the means to press greater advantage in the field. Cromwell is proving wily, though. The Dutch ships and his no longer seem to harass one another. It seems the Dutch are trying to be your ally politically but his economically. Might you be able to strengthen your economic or even political ties with Portugal for a measure of balance on the seas from India to Grianaig and Leith?
    Though I am struggling to maintain Couronian neutrality on land, at sea I seem to be managing. I think I shall continue to manage so long as I steer clear of privateering.
    If you are of a mind to seek a lasting peace, I will be glad to serve as a witness and signatory to any treaty you make with the Puritan Parliament. Send word when you need me to come, and where, and it will be my pleasure to honour my godfather and namesake by seeing his son's peace restored.
    Thank you for sending me those members of the so-called "Invisible College" - and you're welcome for having aided them in their work in Libau. Though my Academy will be sad to see them return home, it is worth it if you are indeed confident you can safely prepare your Royal Society of Edinburgh for Improving Natural Knowledge. "Nullius in verba" indeed.

- - -

Jan, I regret any way in which you have failed to gain an opportunity to become a colonial governor on my account. I did not anticipate that my investment in Saint Helena would cause the VOC to decline your proposal to settle the cape of Good Hope. Might you be interested in a post as governor of my Gambia colony? Failing that, the Gold Coast is rife with opportunity, and I might be persuaded to set up a fortified trading post amongst those the Swedes, Danes, and others are putting up, if I had a seasoned man to run it.

- - -

Mr Carloff, I most certainly appreciate the value of your experience with trading posts, colonies, and the various conflicts between the Portuguese and Dutch. Should you find Sweden's investment in the Gold Coast insufficient to hold your interest, do call at Fernau, and bring this letter with you. Between yourself and my man Tevel ben Elisha, who governs there in my name, any number of possibilities in the Gulf of Guinea might be pursued.

- - -

Please inform Master Zelig that I am not dissatisfied with his organization of my children's education. Understand that the "wild behaviour" of "that dark savage" is no stain on his own reputation. What
    is a stain on his reputation is calling the man "that dark savage" in the first place. We are speaking of the first man brought to Courland from the Guinea coast, and also the man teaching Martin how to speak Guinean the tongues of those lands. Either should suffice to see he is treated with respect in Libau. Master Zelig should be more concerned that Martin appears to be the only student able to hold a conversation with the man. It is to Courland's advantage if we can converse with natives as well or better than all Europe does with those Portuguese creoles. If adults struggle or show disinterest, find younger students.

- - -

Our two nations are both finding their footing in this new world. Courland will be glad to remain ever friends with the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and ever eager to facilitate its trade with partners at Courland's ports. You have my promise that your merchants on the Düna and Windau will continue to receive the same hospitality as ever, and that I will not raise the duties they pay for at least four years.

- - -

...and so it is agreed, brother-in-law. The clause on being "Baltic-born" in our agreement reads as you propose - should my male line or yours be extinguished, the other's heir may rule both duchies, if they are born where waters flow to the Baltic, or in any of the other agreed territories we each presently rule. The declaration is appended, with my sign and seal, and witnessed and signed by one of my best men, who I think you will receive gladly in Berlin. He will witness your signature and seal on all copies, and sign his attestation. Then we shall see whether the King of Poland accepts, or whether he forces us to declare an end to Poland's suzerainty. To have to wait so many weeks for an answer in such tense times is cruel. Godspeed.

- - -

Thank you, Irina, for the painting of the new church at Flekkerøy. I did indeed recognize the carving of those strange southern birds you sent back south to Saint Helena in the columns at the entrance. Now that you are collecting more Russians and Norwegians in your congregation, I wonder what they will think. I am happy to report that, as of my last message from Saint Helena, the birds remain alive and apparently breeding.

41. Slock, Courland, October 1655.
  • The Wooden Middle Finger - part one

The old veteran had seen the ships start to come in hours before, and then the dust of men moving across dry land in great numbers. He'd ridden his neighbour's horse twenty minutes south to gauge a direction, then came home to Slock.

Slock, or Sloka depending on which language you spoke at home, was about as close to Riga as one could get and still be in Courland. Riga lay east only a little closer than Mitau, the old capital, lay south. The road was a little under 13 miles, it really depended on which ferry you took to cross the Aa river, or Lielupe (language again), a minor artery of trade, but an old one, linking Mitau to the sea.

At Slock, the Aa turned sharply from flowing north to flowing east. It then flowed in a wiggling kind of parallel to the smoother coast of the Gulf of Riga, one mile further north, until the river split, part heading north into the gulf while the other part mostly continued east to meet the mouth of the Düna north of Riga.

Slock was therefore where the jagged spit between river and gulf connected to the rest of Courland. From Slock, he saw the gulf. He nearly saw the mouth of the Düna. He often saw smoke rising from Riga on colder days, when more fires burned. Today, he'd seen what he needed to see. He went to the mill, the most prominent building in the village, at least to anyone seeing it from the west. He grabbed the book sent from Libau, climbed out of the hatch of the second-floor dormer, sat on the roof, opened the book.

The book had only six pages in all. The first had brief instructions that the veteran had followed too many times before to need, and eleven numbered and labelled diagrams. The five remaining pages each had fourteen such diagrams.

The veteran put his glasses on, and for a moment considered his good fortune to live in Courland, where a man could have such things without being wealthy. Then he searched the pages for the words most able to tell Courland what it needed to know. In the distance, in the gulf, he saw a ship approaching the spit.

He did not hurry. He chose the word for his message, then straddled the peak of the roof to adjust the frame. He unhooked its fingers and knuckles from their "nil" position - an empty square. He moved three knuckles and one finger into position, reaching across the frame. He hooked everything again to hold the new position.

semaphore 43.png

Unlike any previous words whose numbers he'd configured in the frame before, this one came with an added instruction. He sat for a moment, contemplating the words. He'd read them before, of course - he'd read every instruction in the book. It was different to know a thing might be done than to actually do it.

He looked toward the ship, already sending rowboats to shore, toward Slock, toward his position. He looked to the church not far away, to his neighbours gathering there. Those that weren't fleeing west, at least. He adjusted his spot on the roof to where the telescope was mounted. Looking though it, he saw the frame atop the next station to the west, already affixing the knuckles into position: 43. That station, like most, was only a relay, so the person atop that roof didn't have the veteran's book, didn't know the message in the number.

The veteran headed back to the ground and followed the last instructions: he shredded and burned the pages, then walked toward the church to pray.

Last edited:
    42. Talsen, Courland, October 1655.
  • The Wooden Middle Finger - part two

Lev looked up at his friend Ged atop the tower. A decade years earlier, they'd left Vilnius at the same time, Ged for work, Lev for safety from the Cossacks. They spoke German with each other, though it was neither's first language. German was the language of opportunity for each of them. Talsen was mostly German-speaking overall, sitting a little past the halfway point between Riga and Windau in the northern part of Courland that lay west of the Gulf of Riga.

Ged had apprenticed in the ironworks, Lev's father had helped manage its accounts and records before he died the year before. Ged had helped build the frame he was climbing to adjust. Lev had helped in designing its codes when he was at the academy in Windau. It was meant to be secret, he'd kept it secret.

"Wasn't this one of those Academy things, Lev?" Ged asked the same question every time Lev had seen him climb to the frame.

"You know the answer, Ged."

Ged unfolded the first digit halfway. One.

"So you know these are all numbers?" The second digit, fully across. Two times three makes six, plus one. Seven.

"From zero to eighty. Yes." The third digit, halfway. Nine, plus six, plus one. Sixteen.

"So why zero to eighty and not one to eighty-one? How do you know it's a zero and not a frame that just hasn't been set up yet?"

"That's what zero means. No message." The last digit, halfway. Twenty-seven, plus nine, plus six, plus one. Forty-three.

Ged looked through the west-facing telescope toward the next station that way. "Huh. I guess that makes sense. Like holding no fingers up on your hands being zero." He heard no answer, and looked down to see his friend looking suddenly pale, breathlessly leaning against a wall for support.

“Lev? You all right, my friend?"

Lev was not all right. He shook his head, but couldn't speak for a moment. He looked up at Ged, and the frame, counting again. Forty-three. "Has the next station picked up the signal?"

"Yes. My frame is giving the middle finger to the west, and the next station is about to give the middle finger to the one after that. I guess Windau will see its finger within minutes.”

By the time Ged stopped looking through the telescope, Lev was gone. So was the boy whose turn it was to sit atop the little tower watching through the telescopes for new signals. Ged rang the bell and climbed down. A new boy - the Russian kid, was his name… Max? - jogged across the street and climbed to the telescopes.

“Spaseeba? Is that how you say it?”

The boy shrugged, then nodded.

Within three minutes, Lev was back.

“Gediminas,” it was serious if Lev wasn’t shortening his name, “can my mother stay with your family for a while? Her bad leg… she can’t travel.”

Ged furrowed his brow. Behind Lev, two carts were rapidly being packed for travel. Ged realized those packing were all Jews. He didn’t know what was going on, but it had to be important.

“Of course, Lev. Your mother is a fucking magician with cabbages.” That brought a chuckle through the seriousness. “You’d be doing my family a favour.”

“Ged, this has been the best and safest place in the world to be Jewish for the last decade. I don’t know how safe it will be for anyone for a while, but Jews are never as safe as others.”

“Will we be okay here?”

“You’re Lithuanian. The town is mostly Germans and Kurs. Whoever is coming still needs people to work, or else they’re invading for the wrong reasons.”

“Invading?”

“That’s your wooden middle finger. Invasion.”

“Who?”

Lev just put his arm around his friend and gently turned both of them to the east.

“That way, there are only three options.”after a quiet pause, Lev resumed gently turning him, then held him in a great hug. “Thank you, my friend.”

Then Lev crossed to the carts and kissed his mother goodbye. The carts started heading west, slowly. The walk to Windau would take at least a day and two nights of poor rest. They did not yet feel rushed, given the head start their semaphore-frames had given them.

“Lev! What if it’s Lithuania?” Ged shouted from behind.

“Lie that my mom's name is Lina or Dorota or something."

"What if it's Russia?"

"They'll keep your ironworks busy. And my mom can learn their borscht, too."

"What is it's Sweden?"

Lev wasn't sure. From the end of Kristina's time to the start of Karl Gustav's, it wasn't quite clear how Sweden was going to treat its Jews. The answer came from behind Ged, rather than in front.

Lev's mother was standing, waving her cane in the air.
    She'd learned a thing or two from her husband's work keeping the ironworks' accounts. She spoke neither loudly nor quietly, and to no one in particular.
    "Fuck Sweden and their taxes."

Last edited:
    43. Windau, Courland, October 1655.
  • The Wooden Middle Finger - part three

Gatis loved telescopes. It pissed him off that his present job was all about looking through one that he couldn't move.

"Georg! Change!"

Georg didn't love telescopes, which was why he let Gatis man them whenever they had a shift together. Georg just wanted to sail. It didn't matter to where. It just mattered that he had the wind on his skin, and was part of a team working together.

"East or South?" South meant from Libau, East meant from Talsen and beyond toward Riga. Windau was a corner in this network of line-of-sight signalling. Boys like Georg and Gatis would be the last ones to hear if they ever decided to add frames north up the Baltic coast.

"East. One - Two - One - One. Forty-three?"

"One - Two - One - One? Yeah. Forty three. I'll tell Fritzis." Fritzis was the man with the Libau station's code book. Windau was by now the third-biggest town in the duchy after Libau and Mitau, so their station was built taller than most to see and be seen over more buildings. Georg went down a fair number of stairs.

Fritzis was drinking. He often drank. Georg shook him alert.

"Fritzis! New change, East. Forty-three." If the shaking didn't make the man sober up, forty-three sure did. The effect was instant.

"Fuck. Inta! Inta, ring the bells! Georg, run to the port and tell them we're being invaded, to the east. And get any other boys to run in other directions and tell them too. Wait..." he pulled coins from his pocket, maybe a dozen in all. "Here. Get your boys to run fast."

Fritzis slowly climbed the stairs to reach Gatis, who had by now fixed all three frames into position. Facing east, to confirm to the previous station their message was received. Facing south, to turn the corner and send the message toward Libau. And lastly, facing the sea, for any Captains flying the black crayfish flag.
    "Boy, forty-three is invasion. If you want to check on your family, I'll mind the scopes and frames for a bit.

As Gatis rattled down the stairs, Fritzis checked the station East of him and saw the boy there had started clearing the frame, having seen their confirmation. He started doing the same, mumbling to himself: "Poor bastard probably doesn't even know what the message said." He saluted the kid, not that the kid would know.

Down in the street, Georg called for runners to come to him. Georg liked being in a team, after all. He liked the wind in his face, so he ran quickly. And he liked sailing, so he chose the run to the port for himself.

Last edited:
    44. Kreuzburg, Semigallia, October 1655.
  • [note: while parts 1-3 of this arc followed news travelling Westward across Courland from the Gulf of Riga, this part breaks that pattern, going to the eastern edge of the duchy]

- - -

The Wooden Middle Finger - part four

"Sergei, what were our horribly unspecific orders again?"

"March until you stand in the Baltic. Go around what is wise to go around. Go through what is necessary to go through. Claim for Russia something worth claiming. Sir."

"No mention of little boats to cross rivers?"

"I think they thought the bridge would be ready by now."

"And Vasily's orders for his men? They stay?"

"Own the Düna. Sir."

"Can they own it by finishing the bridge? Even a temporary span with some big logs?"

"I will ask, sir."

"Ask later. Signal the assault. Town first, bridge later."

Kreuzburg was defended only by taxes, promises, and trade deals. Its right bank, the larger portion of the town, fell with zero casualties, zero physical injuries. The soldiers contemplated the river and the incomplete bridge reaching toward them across their side of the Düna river from Düna island.

"They finished their side of the bridge to the further island, and then they finished the fucking Catholic Church on the island before the bridge? Are they really Catholics?"

"Lutherans, sir. And a bit of everything."

"Have they got Muslims? I don't want to face Muslims in battle again."

"If they do, sir, it's Muslims mixed in with others."

"I guess it's a big church for a town to have Muslims anyway. I thought this was where all the Jews ended up."

"Can't say I know, sir."

"Sergei, what's happening on the island there? The wood tower opposite the church tower?"

"Some idiot fiddling with a weathervane, sir."

"Are those meant to be... fingers? And is that a telescope beside him?"

"Yes sir. I think he has a book up there too. And that telescope looks to be attached to the tower. He can't move it."

"Stupid Courlanders. Fuck it. If this is what they spend all that money on, we'll march through this whole duchy unscathed."

"I think you're right about the fingers, sir. He's unfolding them into that frame behind him. I can't see with him blocking."

"You have better eyes than me, Sergei."

"He's leaning over to look through the telescope. Away from us. Wait! Now he's setting fire to his fucking book!"

"What the fuck?"

"I have no idea, sir. But he's not blocking that weathervane any more."

"Is that saying what I think it's saying, Sergei?"

"I think so, sir. That madman is telling us to fuck ourselves with a fucking weathervane."

"Fuck it. Shoot him."

The left bank of Kreuzburg, lately called Jakobstadt by the locals, was defended by an incomplete bridge, the consecration of a Catholic Church, and a dead man with a telescope, a burning book and an obscene weathervane. That man was the only casualty in its fall.

Last edited:
    45. Mitau, Semigallia, October 1655.
  • The Wooden Middle Finger - part five

Mitau, having been the capital of the Duchy for much of the last century, had a greater density of nobles in and around it than nearly anywhere else in Courland and Semigallia. From their perspective, the only difference between any of them and their Duke was who outranked whom among everyone's grandfathers and great-grandfathers when they had been Catholic Knights inconveniencing Livs, Kurs, Selonians or any other Baltic peoples. Grandpa Gotthard must have been Gott-er than everyone else's grandfathers, possibly hard-er, so know being top of the pile was to be Kettler.

And if you were also the descendant of a Livonian Sword Brother, but now you felt more like the descendant of the Livonian Sword Bastard Nephew, while Jakob got to be Livonian Royal Gottfather, you resisted him.

Duke Jakob wants you to raise infantry? No.
    Duke Jakob wants you to raise cavalry? No.
    Duke Jakob asks you to put one of his Gambian semaphores on that hill on your land? No.
    Duke Jakob offers for you to the be the first to know when something happens elsewhere in the Duchy? Well, yes!
    Oh, but that comes with having the semaphore on the hill? Well, then. No.
    Then Jakob asks you to let him raise infantry and cavalry since you won't? Also no. No all the way up to the King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania. That was somewhat the way Jakob's father got exiled. Well, not quite. William had noble blood on his hands too.

- - -

Chancellor Fölkersamb hastily convened all the nobles he could at Mitau castle. Some whose estates were a little further afield might show up later. But the code from the semaphores said invasion, and the signal had arrived from the north...

"Gentlemen, let's not keep waiting. An hour ago, we received a code telling us Courland is under invasion."

"Explain, Chancellor."

"As you may know," Fölkersamb was confident some among them didn't know, and willfully not, "Mitau sits at the intersection of two lines of our semaphore network. One goes from Libau to Kreuzburg and Dünaburg. The other heads northwest to Tuckum, where it meets a line from Slock to Windau. We received the code for invasion from Tukums."

"So, Windau or Slock, or somewhere between?"

"Yes. Anywhere south of Windau, we would almost certainly have received the code from the West first. The Duke invites you to prepare for the defence of Mitau."

"The good Duke does, does he?"

"The good Duke has provided you with guns, powder, this castle, and above all else time. If an army is coming here, you are blessed with hours to days to prepare to meet it."

No one seemed particularly hurried.

"The same conversation is being had in Bauske by now. Most of the Duke's soldiers are on the coast, but he has a thousand there and here. With the men you've promised, enough for both to hold for a time."

"Some of our men may be marching to, ah, defend the Düna frontier instead. You know, we have trade interests there, like the Duke."

"The Duke provided conditional orders in the event of such a response. He has 650 men here, and not one will defend the estates of any nobles who fail to defend Mitau."

"As if he even engages with us enough to know where we live..."

"The Duke has excellent maps. There are even maps of where the barracks might have been built had you consented to an army."

"Well, Chancellor, I suppose I'll take my men to defend my land, and I'll be sure to send a rider to the castle to keep you all informed of how that's going."

Fölkersamb was ready to inform the man that Duke Jacob had conditional orders for that possibility, too, but he was interrupted by the entrance of one of the Duke's soldiers. The Chancellor waved the breathless man to himself, denying the others in the room the privilege of receiving the man's news simultaneously.

"Gentlemen, I hope your relations with your Russian friends and trading partners are as strong as you say. The semaphores from the east say we are under invasion that way, too."

46. Libau, Courland, October 1655.
  • The Fleet, the Flight - part one

"Men, Women, and Youth of Libau - today is a day of decision for us all. We have learned that Courland and Semigallia are being invaded by neighbours. I do not know precisely who and I do not know precisely where. We have this knowledge thanks to our Gambian semaphores, which send only a tiny bit of information, but send it much faster than a messenger on horseback ever could. Somewhere to the east, foreign soldiers are on our land. It could be Sweden, or Russia, or maybe even Lithuania. Probably not Lithuania. It could be two of these. It could be one of these in two different places. And... it probably does not make a difference which. Sweden alone could overpower us. Russia alone could overpower us.

"We have built up so much together, while I have been your Duke. Courland and Semigallia grow, make, ship and sell so much, from the Baltic to the Caribbean to the South Atlantic. We have gained wealth in trade, in knowledge, in craft, in influence. And today, so much of that is at risk. Our neutrality has not been respected.

"However!

"However.... even if we lack the army to defend Courland against powerful enemies. There are still preparations we've made for this day. Perhaps you expect to be treated nearly as well by Sweden or Russia. If so, keep your life and livelihood here. When wars and diplomacy are sorted out, I aim to restore this Duchy to everything we have made it together over the last seventeen years.

"Some of you may not expect good treatment from our invaders. It could be your ties to me, your religion, your trade or your knowledge. I repeat to you today the same offer I have given to every resident of this Duchy, as well as to a great number of its friends from other nations. If you would prefer to come to our colonies, we will bring you to our colonies. Every man there may buy or earn his own land, even if he is a peasant or serf in Europe. What we have done here for decades has empowered us to make successful colonies. Success in the colonies has made us all better off. You can still be a part of that. A different part, with more risk and the possibility of more reward.

"Others of you, especially those from elsewhere in Europe, will seek safety in other countries. We may not be able to bring you all the way home, but we will take every one of you we can to the nearest safe port - that might be Bornholm, Kolberg, or Königsberg."

"If it is only Russia invading, it will take over a week for them to reach Libau on foot. If it is Sweden, an army from Riga could reach us overland in days. But we could also expect an attack from the sea at any time, anywhere on our coast. Our ships sail beginning tonight. We have already signalled for our Gambian semaphore line on the coast to extend north of Windau and south all the way to Memel. If we see warships anywhere, this will gain us more time to react. We also have ships extending it outward into the Baltic as well, though not too far out.

"Decide for yourselves if you will remain Courlanders under Sweden, or under Russia, or whether you would remain Courlanders under me, as you have been, but in our colonies. If you choose adventure, that adventure begins no later than dawn tomorrow, and I will have you in Tobago, Bandschul, or Fernau within seven weeks.

"LONG LIVE COURLAND! LONG LIVE SEMIGALLIA!"

Last edited:
    47. Libau, Courland, October 1655.
  • The Fleet, the Flight - part two

The Duke sailed to repeat variations on his speech northward up the coast at Sackenhausen, Paulshafen and Felixberg en route to Windau, watching for any change in the coastal semaphores as they passed. He knew better than most where exactly to look for them. They did not change, and he did not go far inland, regarding the sea as his route to safety.

The single inland exception was Pilten, which he had lately purchased from the Bishop (and technically Prince) of Pilten. Pilten had been an enclave nearly surrounded by Courland. Since paying for it, two things were true: Jakob was now entitled to call himself a Prince of the Holy Roman Empire, and this was the one place where Jakob was sovereign in his own right, for all the good it did. Courland, Semigallia, even his colonies - all were vassals of Poland still. In Pilten, he considered the road not taken. What if the Polish King had refused to grant permission for his succession agreement with his brother-in-law? He wanted full independence for Courland and Semigallia and the colonies, certainly. An independent, wealthy, industrious, neutral Courland. That was ever his dream. And here, in the only corner of his lands subject to no one's suzerainty, did he feel any different? He found he didn't.

He repeated his speech again, tuning it to this audience of people only recently subject to his rule. He still referred to himself only a Duke. Then he returned to the coast.

Jakob Kettler would never again be both in his homeland and out of sight of the sea.

- - -

When Jakob sailed north, he had others share his same message elsewhere. Inland, trusted nobles and men of influence traveled to Goldingen, Hasenpoth and Schrunden - all reachable in a day of hard riding, changing horses often en route. To anywhere deeper, Jakob instead asked that messengers carry letters onward from those towns to bring the message to Mitau, Tuckum, and as far as it could be safely brought toward the farthest corner of his realm in Dünaburg.

Others sailed and rode south to Polangen.

Libau was left in the nominal care of the Duchess. But Louise Charlotte was by now expecting to give birth any day. So Martin claimed for himself the responsibility to deliver his father's message more thoroughly across Libau.

But first he had to understand it.

Then he had to correct it.

48. Libau, Courland, October 1655.
  • The Fleet, the Flight - part three

"Martin! Remember your Serra! What would Sir William Petty think!"

Master Zelig was never truly certain whether he loved his job. He taught economic thought at the Academy, which gave him a certain amount of prestige. It was a good thing to be an educator in Libau. But among his responsibilities was also supervising the education of Martin and his siblings. Truth be told, none of the others required a tenth as much of his attention as Martin himself.

"Serra's fundamental is to sell more than you buy, Master. Which this Duchy does, and which it might still manage to do under Swedish or Russian rule. Under Sweden, Courland and Semigallia would be one more tax base and one more stretch of Baltic coastline. Investment in this Duchy such as my father has done would not make sense. Under Russia, Semigallia and Inflanty would become overland Russian trade routes and Courland Russia's port. This Duchy would draw investment. It would keep more of what it has become, even as the Tsar takes a cut for Moscow."

Walking with the master and his pupil was Martin's language teacher. He was only a few years older than Martin, and not much taller. His name was Njikobiya, which he said meant "I will not run" in his native language. German and Latvian tongues mangled his name to "Tchiko" or "Kobi" or "Anshikobi" on a good day. Martin had helped Njikobiya learn more German than anyone else, even as Njikobiya taught Martin the Bantu languages he knew.

Njikobiya was seeking to understand the ideas Master Zelig and Martin were expressing, since they were so animated.

Martin translated, roughly.
    "Teacher asks me to think of the ideas of old men. The old men say sell more than you buy to be rich. I say we sell more than we buy today. We have big neighbours. Countries. One neighbour is Sweden. If Sweden takes our home, we sell less and buy more than today. One more neighbour is Russia. If Russia takes our home, we sell and buy like today, but Russia is rich instead of us."

Njikobiya nodded. "War. And after. Yes."

"My father wants to bring people who make us rich to Fernau and Tobago."

"Like war
    captives? Slaves?"

"No. Leave home in Courland. Make new home in Tobago. No man is a slave in Courland. No 'war captives.'"
    Martin turned to face Master Zelig again. "I understand how Serra applies. But before he sailed, my father said he intended to wait out this war behind our walls in Libau if our fleet can resupply Libau more than Sweden's army and navy can wear it down. Otherwise, Flekkerøy. What might Serra or Sir William Petty say about biding our time in Flekkerøy?"

"Presumably, that it remains an adequate place to reap the value our colonies have sown."

"Yes. Yes. But! We pay a cost to sow that value. Courland makes gunpowder. Iron. Cannon. Ships and sails. Grain. Glass and telescopes. Flekkerøy makes nothing. We would buy what we have profited from selling. When there is war, my father says maybe we go to an island. On the island we can not make what we make here."

"The island is poor while Courland is rich. And an island has no neighbour."

"Yes. And. Courland needs to be rich to keep making things. Making things helps Tobago and Gambia and Fernau make us rich.
    Master Zelig, the smaller part of Serra is the value of things that aren't goods. The ability to make the goods. The ability to move them. The ability to sell them. That smaller part for Serra is the bigger part for Courland. My father offers serfs and peasants land in Tobago. Ships will need to defend Tobago. More ships will need to move sugar and more from Tobago to bring to Europe. Buying ships could risk that we buy more than we sell more. Flekkerøy can't fix that."

"What makes the island poor?"

"What makes the island poor, - Flekkerøy, that is," Martin waved toward Njikobiya, but spoke to Master Zelig, though slowly for Njikobiya's benefit, "is that it can not make things of value. It is too small to grow many things. It is too small to make many things. It is a place to buy things and store things and sell things."

Njikobiya said a word Martin did not understand, then tried in German: "where you keep seeds safe."

"A granary," said Master Zelig. "A fair analogy. A place we store Courland during its winter, while we wait for spring. I find no fault in that, Martin."

"I do not want the seed of all Courland patiently captive in a granary, waiting for a less bad future. The seed of Courland is for sowing, ever growing."

- - -

"Citizens of Libau, I am Martin Kettler, heir to Courland, Semigallia, Pilten, Tobago, Saint Helena, the Gambia, and Fernau. You know that one or more neighbours are invading our land. You know life will be different for us all, soon. My father has invited any man to come to our colonies. To have a new life there. To earn or buy land and hold it. If you are a serf, or a peasant, accept the offer. You will have a chance to be better off than you are here.

"If you are a farmer, or a herder, you may be a farmer or a herder in the colonies. The colonies will thank you.

"If you are a craftsman, or a master in a trade, I invite you to sail. We have made foundries, mills, and glassworks together. You have become makers of ships, telescopes, gunpowder, and cannons. If you are a master in these trades, bring them to our colonies and continue. We do not want your skills and knowledge serving our enemies.

"You may be a Lutheran, a Calvinist, a Jew, a Catholic, or a Muslim. You still know the story of Noah. The Earth was filled with violence. God promised a flood. He asked Noah to build an Ark of wood. He told Noah the design. He asked Noah to gather a male and female of every creature. Noah and his family sailed. Rain fell as never before. All that was flesh on Earth died. All save those who sailed with Noah. They survived. All life on earth since is descended from them. It is after the Ark that God said to "be fruitful and multiply" and made a covenant not to bring such a flood again.

"This is Courland's flood. In this harbour we have Courland's Ark. Come aboard, two by two of every trade - or more. What we have made will remain fruitful, and will multiply."

Last edited:
    49. Libau and the Baltic, October-November 1655.
  • The Fleet, the Flight - part four

Then followed days of impatient tension. Libau waited for an attack that kept not coming.

The fast but woefully incomplete news by semaphore was reinforced by slower but more thorough news brought by rider: a Swedish army had invaded from Riga, and had effortlessly taken all land on the right bank of the Aa (or Lielupe) river, up to where its tributary the Eckau (Iecava) met it a mere two miles north of Mitau. Upstream of there, Sweden seemed to hold the entire right bank of the Eckau at least as far upstream as the town of Gross Eckau, which was by now already a Swedish resupply station. It was a sensible spot, lying with 14 miles of both Mitau (to the West) and Bauske (to the South). It didn't take particularly good military intelligence or scouting to know those would be the towns likely to put up the biggest fights.

Then news came that Mitau was under siege. Then news stopped coming.

And Libau waited for the news that wasn't coming.

- - -

And in some ways, life continued almost as normal. Craftsmen crafted, teachers taught, shipwrights wrought ships. Goods were bought and sold, though only goods in hand. Those who had other countries to live in left by ship, some to Königsberg in Prussia, more to Kolberg in Brandenburg. Some who were simply afraid walked the old Amber Road down the coast toward Memel.

Courland kept most of its ships on the Baltic home, or patrolling near to it. They were ready to defend, but no Swedish fleet came to defend against, at least not to Libau and Windau. Courland's northernmost point was Cape Kolka, reaching north between the Gulf of Riga and the rest of the Baltic to point toward the Estonian mainland beyond the northeastern horizon. There was little of significance on the coast, economically or militarily, save the ability to see passing ships. Sweden took the mostly Livonian coastal villages east of the cape in one day, then the villages west of it the next, cutting off Courland's ability to see what ships passed between Sweden and Riga.

- - -

Conversations from Windau to Libau to Polangen invariably included lines like these:

"Will the Duke fight the Swedish fleet?"
    "Do you think it could be too hot in Tobago?"
    "I heard Sweden made a new version of the Vasa warship and we won't fight until our nautical minds figure out the weakness that will sink it like the first Vasa."
    "Our Duke's just being kind to the foreigners down in Libau, to give them rides home before he destroys Sweden. We'll be fine."
    "I have family in _______, and no one has heard from ______ in a week."
    "Surely our ships are better than their ships?"
    "Can you teach me how to use your pistol?"
    "My brother left on the first group of ships headed for Flekkerøy and the colonies. I'm thinking of getting on the next group."

- - -

Jakob heard it all. First hand. Second hand. From his inner circle. From people whose names he did not not know. He stuck to what he did best - he managed Courland's affairs. those were, chiefly:
    1. evacuating foreigners who desired evacuation, because that was honourable;
    2. sending or preparing to send anyone who wished to the colonies, because that was profitable;
    3. planning to defend Libau and Windau by land and sea.
    The first was rapidly concluded in days. Foreigners firmly decided to return to their home countries were dropped off at Königsberg or Kolberg, depending on where they were headed and when they made up their minds. Those who were certain they did not wish to remain in Courland, but were undecided as to answering Martin's and Jakob's call to head to the colonies, were dropped off at Copenhagen or Bornholm, from where they could either easily await the next Couronian ship to choose colonial adventure, or find passage to Rostock, Lübeck, or anywhere else otherwise. The ships handling this evacuation were either back in Libau within a week, or else were headed toward Flekkerøy and the colonies anyway.

The second would have been simpler without Martin's inspired second-guessing. Sending serfs, peasants, and aspiring landowners to the colonies had been done before, and would only have been different this time due to greater numbers and the possibility of the Swedish navy intervening. After Martin's encouragement, a surprising number of skilled tradespeople preferred the colonies to life under Swedish occupation. Mostly, established masters preferred to remain in Courland or in Europe, liking their prospects for advancement in skill or prestige or wealth. But some apprentices and less-proven masters were now signing up for colonial misadventure. Smiths, foundry workers, glassworkers, kiln-makers, shipwrights, priests and rabbis, money lenders, merchants and others were also interested in facing the challenge of establishing their trades, far from home. Some who studied astronomy or botany or medicine saw new frontiers of knowledge for their field as well as new challenge for themselves. Broadly, all these people needed merited somewhat nicer accommodation at sea than serfs and peasants did. Jakob agreed this was a happy problem to have, but as Martin made it, Martin had to handle it.

The answer was some quick repurposing of the largest of the ZK boats, already fully ready to sail, but still having the installation of its guns and gun deck construction completed. Martin cancelled the installation of half the remaining guns and had hammocks put in instead. This largest of the ZK iterations was designed to test how much you could minimize crew size while maximizing sail area. Fewer cannons meant a little more comfort for a few dozen voyagers. The expected lateral stability of the ZK also meant that while it took only a little more than its fair share of books, it had more than its share of installed tables. As the ship was modified and loaded (in two days), the dockworkers nicknamed it "the library" - but the name that stuck was Kurlands Arche - Courland's Ark.

Leaving Martin to solve the problem he somewhat created left Jakob freer to handle the third: Courland's defence. With so few soldiers, it was already true that the men stationed at Mitau and Bauske were not going to receive reinforcements. Semigallia was on its own. Jakob wasn't even going to defend Courland's old capital at Goldingen, if battle were to come there. He limited his defence planning to what was reachable by sea, from Windau in the north to Polangen in the south, and Libau between them. Nothing else had enough chance at success to merit consideration.

"My Duke, this will end in sieges of Windau and Libau, which will last until attrition in your navy exhausts your ability to resupply them."
    "No, my good man. We will abandon even Windau and Libau if it can prevent that attrition. The capacity to resupply with five more ships is worth more than the capacity to delay conquest by five more weeks. My son's choice of metaphor was harsh, but apt. For all my failings to hold on to the land, an Ark can preserve the Duchy. Courland is in the hands of ships already."

- - -

Those ships, and the coast that had build them, kept waiting for Swedish ships to come.

Instead, all the normal traffic came. Merchants thought to sell powder or guns at a better price, though Courland was still making its own in quantity. Letters came and went, especially went. The trade of autumn grain continued, the rhythms of nature unaffected by man's sense of doom.

And a messenger came from Copenhagen, via Visby. And not just any agent, but Count Valdemar from Flekkerøy.

"Jakob, I am here at the King's urging to speak to you of Swedish plans Denmark has lately become aware of. And dear King Frederick chose me so you'd receive the news from someone familiar. How long since Sweden invaded? 16 days? And still not a sail in sight of Libau. Nothing in Gustav Horn's plans is ever an accident. If anything is left to chance, it is only because that chance may swing events further in Sweden's favour. Sweden intends to take your entire Duchy, Jakob. You are no fool, you know they can. You could probably tell me how much of it they've taken already. They will drive all what was of Kettler out of the land and into the sea, finishing here. Why? If you remain here, they know they can defeat you handily on land even if you might defeat them at sea. And you would be captured or killed.

"But! - you say - surely to pinch me between army and fleet would be more efficient! And this may be militarily true. So why do you still see no Swedish sails? Because should they face you at sea - you, personally, I mean, not Courland's navy in general - they might send you to the bottom of the Baltic instead. Or you and your entire family. They need only know which ship to focus on. And why do they await this chance of the Skipper Duke actually playing the skipper? Because they know of your new deal with Prussia and Poland. That news travelled fast, Jakob. Poland wanted it known at how low a price it had kept its vassals in the fold. But here's the thing... should you family go down, down, down to the bottom of the Baltic, Sweden doesn't have Courland's frustrating neutrality and commercial derring-do as a thorn in its side any more. I'm sure Gustav Horn has every confidence he can sway your brother-in-law to Sweden's side. Ah - the sudden pallor on your face all but confirms you think the same. Can you divide your family, Jakob? Squirrel them all separately away - especially the boys - with various friends all across Europe? Or just take your chances against Sweden's fleet and test whether you might all escape together, to rebuild Kettler prestige from, where.... Amsterdam, or Edinburgh perhaps? Wait too long, and your whole Duchy will be lost, ending in your capture or death. Control the timing of when you face Sweden on the Baltic, and you stakes rise to pyrrhic victory at sea or an extinguished Kettler line."

Valdemar declined most of Courland's hospitality and was back at sea the same day. He wanted to be out safely ahead of any naval battles. Messages for Copenhagen, Flekkerøy, and the colonies travelled with him.

- - -

That night, Jakob imagined news of this invasion reaching Tobago. The first word would reach them in perhaps four weeks: someone was invading, we don't know who. In five weeks, a ship might come with more news, or it might be a ship that didn't come from Europe, or the right part of it. However much news stalled crossing Courland, updates would find Tobago in little spurts between even more accentuated pauses. Perhaps in 12 weeks some nation's warships would simply conquer Tobago, and that would be how news of Courland's fate would be transmitted and translated across the Atlantic.

He found that future straightforward and therefore painfully plausible. Then he imagined the fate of a Tobago that instead received news of Courland's fall from Couronian warships, come flying the black crayfish flag, there to remain in Tobago's defence....

And because Jakob was tired, he then pictured a ship docking at Tobago, lowering a long ramp, down which walked all the animals of the world, two by two.

The vision was gone as quickly as it came. His mind's eye didn't have enough of a sense of what Tobago should truly look like, in the end.

Last edited:
    50. Libau and the Baltic, November 1655.
  • The Fleet, the Flight - part five

The moment any remaining sailors, shipwrights, mathematicians, or numerous smart-asses without relevant knowledge all shut up about the ZK boats being less trustworthy than any more normal vessels was the moment Jakob placed the greatest possible trust in them: Courland's Ark was to carry Duchess Louise Charlotte, nine months pregnant, across the Baltic to Copenhagen. Martin, lately dubbed der Archegraf, would be the only family member with her.

This because Jakob had chosen flight over fight. Mostly. To continue his line, a ship with either himself or one of his sons had to reach Copenhagen, or at least get beyond Sweden's reach. Jakob's three daughters were to sail with him, while Martin, Joachim, Frederick and baby Charles would each be assigned a separate ship. There was only a little choosing to be done regarding routes: the direct path was to head fairly straight at Bornholm. This would take them well south of Götland, perhaps the one time the local Danes might prefer not to have the Duke's ships take their routine stop there.

Near Bornholm, it was a guessing game as to whether Sweden had massed ships at or around Kalmar and Öland to the north, or in Swedish Pomerania to the south. Or both. no other mainland Swedish port was of consequence - ships harrying them from the north would either be at Kalmar or at sea. Any ships in ports further north were ships that would have to pass near Kalmar or Öland, only later. Then came the only meaningful decision: to sail between Bornholm and Skåne meant having Denmark to both port and starboard, though at only seventeen miles across, the passage would be an obvious place to engage them for battle. To instead sail south around Bornholm would give them more space to evade any ships they might encounter - the passage was more than twice as wide - but the coast to the south was Swedish Pomerania, where other ships might easily hide. The route was also a little longer.

Imagine a perfect world in which the wind changed to be directly from astern no matter how your ship turned. Imagine all your ships sailing perfectly in this perfect world, as fast as they could, with no mistakes. In this perfect world, the ship most perfectly made for speed with the perfectest sailors sailing perfectly would race from Libau to Copenhagen in just over 24 hours.

Next, consider the ways in which the real world is less perfect. Speed was not the foremost consideration in most Couronian ships' designs. Sailors performed better with rest. And late fall winds in the Baltic averaged out to southwesterlies, that is, they most often came from the southwest - somewhat more hindrance than help on a Libau-to-Copenhagen journey. But: they might blow from west-by-northwest, or from the south, or anywhere between. And the when the winds were stronger or stormier, they had a stronger tendency to come from those directions. And it certainly added challenge to a sailing race to have it interrupted by cannon fire from Swedish warships.

All told, Courland needed its sailors well-rested, but could expect to need to offer them extra rest en route. It needed its ships starting in peak condition. Wind, on the other hand, was a matter for religion and sailors' experience to solve.

- - -

The bulk of Courland's fleet sailed west by southwest, in no particular haste. The general goal was to get halfway to Bornholm and sleep almost as far from land as it was possible to be in the Baltic. A few faster ships, with both more ability to sail into the wind and more experienced crews, roamed ahead, behind, north and south of the main fleet. These served as scouts If Sweden chose to come at them in the open sea, the Courlanders could expect to be better-rested, better-supplied, and hard to surprise.

Among those sailing further north was Courland's Ark, for two reasons. First, the crew wanted to properly test the ship - it had never before been beyond sight of the shore. Flanking duty required it take on extra speed and tack more. Second, and rather more importantly, Louise Charlotte was, finally, having contractions. It felt prudent to go nearer Götland, just in case. Her Calvinism made her stoic: God already knew the outcome of both her labour and this journey, after all. Her Jewish midwife and Catholic doctor, for their parts, preferred to have a plan B.

As did Martin. Martin was in no way in command of Courland's Ark. But he was one or two perfectly-aimed cannonballs away from being the owner and ruler of this fleet. He was also the best sailor in the Kettler family. He understood as much as any non-sailor, non-shipwright outside the Academy how the design of the ship was supposed to be able to outperform conventional ships. All told, he could talk with any sailor of any rank on board, intelligently and without undue distraction. It may have also helped those conversations that this ship's crew were all native Courlanders.

Most often, Martin ended up talking to the captain, Raphael Rimat, and reporting to him what he'd been picking up from the sailors. He preferred the purposefulness of that to his mother's company. (His mother probably preferred her midwife's company at this point, too.)

"Captain" Martin casually saluted, "that last tack felt very quick. Your crew seems quite comfortable."
    "Graf," Rimat saluted back, smiling, "Yes. I think we're getting the hang of her. In the end, for all this ship's quirks, having just a few really big sails and rigging them fore-and-aft really keeps things simple. The work of sailing your Ark is really classic sailing. We all sailed like this when we learned. This ship's extra size just requires a few more of us to handle her right."

"So the crew have it easy, so long as they stay coordinated. How about yourself?"

"Sailing in a straight line is a simple thing for me, too. We gather speed slowly, but once it's gathered, we have speed in abundance. My challenge is working out how to lose a minimum of speed when we tack."
    "Are you judging that by feel, or by comparing our progress with that of the Crocodile to our port?"

"Always by feel. The feel is what you rely on when you make decisions. But when we can see her, the Crocodile's position helps... calibrate me."

Martin thought the relationship between captain and ship sounded like a more relatable version of how adults described marriage. The thought didn't go further, his mother was getting louder again, and he hadn't visited her in an hour.

"AAAAAaaaaangh. Ohhhh. Martin! Where are we?"

"If you drew a line from Danzig to Götland, and another from Libau to Kalmar, we would be where the lines meet. The Crocodile is likely 20 or 30 minutes' sailing nearer Danzig, the heart of the fleet another 20 or 30 minutes' sailing nearer Danzig than them."

"Still no... aaangh... Swedish ships?"

"No, mutti. Now that the sun has set, we will draw closer together and wait out the night. Unless you need to go to Götland."

"I've managed this eight times before. I can give birth on Bornholm or on this ship if I have to."

Martin looked at the doctor, the midwife, and his mother's face, and knew no one would contradict her. He nodded, left, and told the captain he could stop cheating toward Götland and get closer to the Crocodile for the night.

The purpose of pausing for the night was to have a well-rested crew for the critical second day. Louise Charlotte's cries kept most everyone up until nearly midnight. Then, Ferdinand Kettler's newborn cries took over. But not for long: the boy born on the Baltic took well to the breast. Then most of the thirty souls aboard Courland's Ark enjoyed a sleep whose contended, hopeful quality made up for its lost quantity.

- - -

"Ship!"

Martin climbed the foremast, telescope in hand. Courland's Ark lacked a crow's nest, but getting a little higher still could mean getting a better view. By the time he had raised the glass to his eye, the sailor in the bow had seen the ship's colours.

"Sweden!"

Martin saw three masts. He looked harder, trying to steady himself better despite his perch. Square-rigged, maybe a jib. Was that hull pretty broad? Hard to tell. He climbed down, visited the man in the bow.

"I saw square rigging and a fat hull. Can you confirm?"

"Ja. She's meant for carrying big loads, that one. She'll have guns, but she probably carries soldiers most often."

"So, definitely military. Kalmar to Pomerania?"

"Ja."

Off to Captain Rimat.

"Captain."

Raphael Rimat kept looking through his telescope. "Graf."

"Fat hull, three square-rigged masts. Transport, probably some cannon."

"Agreed."

"Likely slower than us in a straight line, likely can't sail as close to the wind as us, but probably loses less speed tacking than us."

Rimat lowered his scope, but his gaze stayed in the same direction: west. The wind was coming from a little south of southwest, and Courland's Ark was sailing a little north of due west, about as close to the wind as she could. To make Bornholm, she would tack between sailing westward and sailing southward unless the wind changed. The Swedish three-master was sailing something close to south-by-southeast.

"Yes on all points. If she keeps her course, she only needs to slow down to engage us. Then it's guns. Then we race or its more guns."

"Captain - "

"Graf."

"
    I don't like the look of a gunfight." Martin looked to port for the Crocodile. It was out of sight, probably letting the heart of the fleet know they'd seen nothing. When they came back, they would.
    "They likely only see us, if we can't see even the Crocodile. But if they keep heading south, they spot everyone."

"I suspect you're about to ask about drawing them away from the heart of the fleet. Which would be a sound tactic if I didn't have aboard the heir to the duchy, the Duchess, and the son your father hasn't met."

"SHIP!" came the call from the bow, again. "Another one! Smaller. SHIP! That's three. Five!"

"He'll keep counting higher, captain. Better they chase us than find the others... if you think we can distract them."

"You don't like a gunfight, but you like a game of cat and mouse, stimmt?"

"Only duty to Courland, captain. We do whatever best helps Courland's people and economy continue in its colonies. My mother, baby bother and I are part of the risk. Worthwhile if the main fleet has a safer journey."

"But safer by how much?"

"As you said, Captain: 'Always by feel.' They have likely only spotted us so far. So we have this chance to improvise. Do it, and save the fleet. Don't, and when my father's ship sinks, I'll officially point out you should have, with full benefit of hindsight. Captain."

"Graf." Rimat raised his glass to scan the rising number of ships to the west. "You just want to see this ship sail for all it's worth."

"Of course. Captain." He saluted. "As do you."

51. The Baltic, November 1655.
  • The Fleet, the Flight - part six

The wind was coming from the wrong direction, just as it needed to be.

Raphael Rimat had a few problems to solve, and twelve sailors and two Kettlers to influence his decisions as captain.

"My lady, Graf." Louise Charlotte chortled at the Captain calling her son that. She realized just as quickly that the shortening of Archegraf was as much a mark of esteem as dry wit for Rimat. "I would welcome your thoughts before I choose our course. Quickly: the wind is still from the southwest. Any path to Bornholm will require tacking between southward and westward sailing. The Swedish ships are downwind of us to the west to begin. We have not spotted the Crocodile since nightfall, so I assume the Swedish fleet and ours are not aware of each other yet."

"My son tells me you intend to draw these ships away from the fleet?"

"Stimmt. But there is another possible problem there. On the one hand, it would be better if our ships knew what we were doing. On the other hand, to get near enough to inform them would risk their discovery by Sweden."

"Martin? You've had opinions on everything. What do you say?"

"Take the chance, manage the risk."

Louise Charlotte gave the captain a profoundly tired look. "I don't take decisions today, Captain. I'll only manage opinions on ones that sound particularly bad. This isn't such a one. I wish you and your crew the best winds and fortune while I attempt a full day of sleep interrupted only by being my baby's milk-cow for want of a wet nurse on board."

Dismissal could hardly be clearer. Martin and the captain left the cabin for the deck. Raphael immediately shouted orders to his first mate: "Starboard tack! Stay close to the wind! Now!"

Then he spoke to Martin, all while watching the crew at work.

"We will sail south in search of the Crocodile, close to the wind. Should we see her, we try to signal her with a semaphore and hope they confirm the signal back to us. We want them to head south and around the south side of Bornholm. We stay close to the wind in hope of staying between the Swedish ships and ours, even if we are a little slower for it."

"You're testing your speed against theirs while close-hauled."

"Stimmt. Once we either have the Crocodile confirm our signal or else abandon the attempt to signal them, it's a port tack. Then your cat-and-mouse game begins."

"The game is... to be the ship that tacks the least?"

"In a nutshell. We want to cross the Swedish line at the greatest possible speed. Once past it, we want to not shipwreck ourselves in Blekinge or Skåne. Any ship that has to tack before we do is one less cat in play. And we will have to tack - if the wind doesn't force us to, the coast eventually will."

"Captain Raphael Rimat duels a Swedish fleet, with the coast of Blekinge and Skåne as his chosen weapon."

"Graf." He paused. "Martin. There is an efficient... starkness to your thinking that would make you a fine captain, in another life if not this one."

"Captain Rimat, Danke. I intend to be many things in this life, so let's just keep us all alive."

- - -

It was harder for Martin to keep his fear at bay when the decisions were made. Influencing the captain's decisions was the only thing he could contribute. When he could no longer contribute, he could only watch events unfold and compare them to the plan. Since speaking about Noah's Ark in Libau, he found others looking at him differently. He was an inspiration, a motivation. Not like his father was. His father had stature, and accomplishments. People were glad to be a part of his plans, because those plans usually made things better for people. Martin had no plans the public knew of. But now they knew he had insight, and vision something like his father's. People were grateful and emboldened by Martin's attention.

On the deck of Courland's Ark, he gave it freely. Sometimes to help, sometimes for something to do.

- - -

The easy part of the plan went well. They turned south on their starboard tack. Rimat chose more speed over sailing closer to the wind, hoping to compensate for the slow acceleration of Courland's Ark. The Swedish ships followed in no great haste, seeming mostly to focus on raising or trimming sails to better have their fleet's speeds match.

The Crocodile was about where they'd hoped, and got close enough to signal with flags as well as frames. (There were also gestures waving the Crocodile off, but there was no agreed way to communicate acknowledgment of those.) The Crocodile tacked to get out of sight as quickly as possible, then headed for the main fleet.

Courland's Ark tacked began its game of cat and mouse with a change of plan. Rimat called for a port tack and sailed north instead of west. It would be a foolish course to maintain for long, as it took them toward Kalmar, precisely where any extra Swedish ships would be coming from to join the hunt. Rimat was testing to be sure they were taking up the chase. In so doing, he was pulling Kalmar's ships away from the Duke's.

The wind held, and they were flying on it. So were Sweden's ships. This was the fastest many aboard had ever sailed, including some on the small crew.

They changed course toward Götland. The wind was now fully astern. Sweden followed. Rimat called to reef the sails a little, slowing them to better help Sweden's slower ships keep pace with its larger ones.

At the next tack, the game began in earnest. Changing course told the Swedes this was not a race to Götland. Heading east toward... Libau, perhaps? Some captains might see a trap in that. Rimat let them consider that, and changed course again, to south-by-southeast.

This was fairly close to the wind, slowing them down. It was the cats' turn to lead the game. Would they match the heading, or sail further from the wind - faster - in an attempt to intercept? Sweden chose both. Two brigantines took the faster line, the other ships - 7 of them, now? - kept paralleling Rimat's course.

As the brigantines drew closer, Rimat called for full sail again, tacked closer to the wind, but managed to maintain speed with the sails no longer reefed. The brigantines split: one went for more speed, farther from the wind, the other stayed closer, gradually slowing. The former crossed behind Courland's Ark, aspirationally firing cannons. The latter kept slowing the closer Rimat went to the wind. In short order, two cats were out of the game. The mouse continued.

The captains of the other Swedish ships now had more of the measure of this strange ship flying Courland's black crayfish on raspberry red. More importantly, they saw that the true race was in the direction of Bornholm after all.

- - -

Rimat was reluctant to let the Swedish ships out of his sight. After holding course southward long enough to be confident the brigantines would not catch him after the next tack, he set course a little north of due west. The wind was now almost directly from the southwest. About every quarter hour, he nudged their course a little toward the northwest, then a little more. He wanted to see his adversaries. He wanted to see whether they'd spread out enough to not repeat the brigantines' mistake. They had.

The Kalmar ships had spread out in a purposeful line from northeast to southwest, tacking in unison to head for Bornholm. They were presently heading a little south of southeast. Still sailing close to the wind, Courland's Ark was not moving at any great speed, but the ZK's poor acceleration was mitigated by avoiding turns altogether. Instead, each northward nudge added a little speed, liminally.

Martin looked at Rimat after one such nudge. "For the feel, Captain?"
    Rimat permitted himself a smile, but said nothing. Then changed the pattern. The northward nudges came five minutes apart now. They sailed nearly west-by-northwest, picking up speed. And more speed, as they neared the Swedish line. But, critically, not the front of that line: a big square-rigged galleon.

Rimat waved Martin over. "We could have stayed closer to the wind. We would have met that leading galleon's guns at low speed - she would only need to gently tack to rain shot on us are we passed by. Instead, we cross between the other ships at higher speed."

"Ships with less impressive guns, I assume?" Rimat only nodded.

"Ready cannons!" Two night shift sailors and the two soldiers on board went to the man the mere four cannons Martin hadn't had removed. "Chain shot. Target the lateen sails and rigging. Go! Sailors, ready to change course - we go astern of the second carrack instead of in front of both of them."

Astern of the second carrack meant the biggest gap in the line. As their course changed, only some Swedish ships adjusted, presumably more interested in seeking more Couronian ships in the direction this single annoying ship had distracted them away from. This was bad for Courland, but otherwise better for Courland's Ark.

"If you're not crew, this is where you get below."

- - -

Then came fear.
    Fear when you could do something about what you feared is the easiest to handle - you do something, and that focus steadies you. Fear when you could see or hear what you feared was next-best - you give your full attention to it, and that focus steadies you. Fear when you are without agency, influence, or perception of what you fear is to be reduced to nothing but your nerves, awaiting your fate.

Instead of waiting with his mother, his baby brother and his mother's midwife in what would normally be the captain's quarters, Martin joined the other passengers below decks. Some stared blankly at the wood separating them from drowning or cannon shot. Some stared at each other. More stared at Martin.

He found he was counting a beat in his mind, perhaps measuring time or distance. He realized it might help others. He held his hands forward and silently counted numbers on his right knuckles and fingers, as the Gambian Semaphores did.

One, two.... he raised his hands between beats, snapping them downward again on the beat, as though hitting a drum.

Seven, eight, nine... nine was the hardest number; his left hand had to hold his other fingers back while extending only the knuckle of his ring finger.

Twenty-five, twenty-six... his left hand freed his right pinky for twenty-seven.

Sixty-six, sixty-seven... the world was a wooden room, floating above the Baltic, holding anticipation, silence, and the hands of a 14-year-old.

Seventy-nine, eighty. Martin had finished the range of this finger-counting, with all four fingers extended. He held up his right hand, then folded his fingers into a fist.

"If our speed remained steady, we are already within range of their guns."

That thought hung in the air while every mundane sound of a sailboat at sea was amplified into the most terrifying version of itself. Martin slowly resumed finger-counting.

One, two... the sound of not cannons, not firing.

Nineteen, twenty...
    heartbeats, creaking wood and the silent movements of Martin's hands.

Fifty-four, fifty-five... was a sea grave as quiet as a grave on land?

Sixty-one, sixty-two... human silence from above answered their human silence below deck.

Seventy-nine, eighty. The number sequence completed once more, Martin again raised his hand and made a fist. Anticipation in the room was now a smell.

"We are beyond where the Swedish line was when we started."

Some faces showed confusion. Some showed nothing. If some began to seek eye contact again, was that a flickering symptom of hope?

Again:

One, two....

Ten, eleven...

Forty....

Footsteps, descending. Martin shook his hand to relax it.

"Captain."

"Graf. The Swedish ships let us pass. The captain of a Carrack saluted us for giving them a good chase 'for such a curious vessel' as he put it. They save their powder for our main fleet, should they catch them."

Withheld emotions were no longer withheld. The little wooden room floating above the Baltic erupted in tears, joy, embraces, and the palpable thawing out of human heartbeats.

- - -

Courland's Ark sailed directly for Copenhagen, tacking only to avoid skerries off the Skåne coast.
    The Couronian fleet ably fended off a dozen ships pursuing them from Pomerania, but the Kalmar ships did not reach it to threaten it from both sides. All told, only three Couronian lives were lost in that battle.
    Only a single ship did not arrive at Copenhagen. No one knew precisely what fate had befallen the Crocodile.

Last edited:
    52. Copenhagen , November 1655.
  • Polite Refusals

Dear Frederick William,

We have fled Courland. All members of the family are well in Copenhagen, including your sister and our new son, Ferdinand, born at sea. By the time you read this, we will likely be in Flekkerøy, or Scotland, or beyond. Our castles likely continue to hold in Bauske, Mitau, Goldingen, Libau and Mitau. But everywhere it is surely only a matter of time before the gains of my reign are either lost, or Sweden's.
    All the gains save the colonies and the fleet. We lost a single ship at sea only - if you should find the
    Crocodile limping to sea at Kolberg or elsewhere, please give its crew hospitality.
    Frederick III has politely but firmly denied my request to bide my time in Flekkerøy while war ravages Courland and Semigallia. Sweden has Gothenburg to harass Flekkerøy by sea, and Frederick will not refuse them passage through the Øresund lest it become a pretext for Sweden to declare war on Denmark as well. He might fear more that Sweden should bring a land war along the Norway coast. If I truly value neutrality, he said, I must avoid actions or choices that could draw Denmark into war as well. I laughed bitterly at that.
    They expect war to come, as I suppose I did. May they be readier for it than I could be.
    You should also know that our inheritance agreement was cited as a Swedish reason to attack. If Sweden finds you easier to deal with than me - may you use that to your advantage.
    There is so much I have to write, to so many, so I will end here. Send any replies to my embassy in Copenhagen, or else to Flekkerøy.

JAKOB von KETTLER

- - -

Dear Anne Sophie,

While I very much appreciate your enjoyment of my stories of our Baltic crossing, I do not think your father would choose me as your fiancé in Courland's present circumstances. I am young, and you are younger still. I hope you enjoy this small model of one of our ZK boats. May you remember
    Courland's Ark and me as you see it float.

MARTIN von K

- - -

My lord Charles Ferdinand,

I write as Poland's loyal vassal to inform you that the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia has been invaded by Sweden. The enemy came overland from Riga to Mitau, the enemy came over sea to battle us in the Baltic. As my son and heir Martin might put it, the seed of Courland survives, and so Courlanders, including masters Courland has attracted, trained, or grown, have consented to enrich its colonies (and in so doing, themselves) while we await restitution in our homeland. We are surely not yet overrun, but Courland may be hard-pressed in present circumstances to provide you even the troops promised in our vassalage agreement. For that, I beg your forgiveness. In diplomacy, I hope you shall champion us. In battle, which is surely coming for Poland as well, I hope we shall find ways to supply you in your own time of need.

I shall maintain Flekkerøy as the European end-point of our colonial trade. I do not yet know where I will bide my time myself. But if you should need to get word to me, send it via Flekkerøy, my lord.

JAKOB von KETTLER

post scriptum: my son, born at sea in our flight, bears your middle name. May Ferdinand Kettler have your strength.

53. Edinburgh, November 1655.
  • Matchmaking and Gardening

"Jakob, you have been so farsighted in so many ways. You've said since I've known you that the nobles' resistance could lead to the duchy falling too easily to an invader. How did your farsightedness not look to what might come after?"

The only farsightedness Jakob might lay claim to at the moment was the literal distance he could see from atop Arthur's Seat, up which he, Louise Charlotte and their elder three children had taken a hike. They were accompanied by numerous attendants, so many of whom considered this their last opportunity for a long walk for a while. Baby Ferdinand was with his wet nurse, the remainder of his siblings, and attendants of their own.

Jakob sighed. "Louise, I am guilty of looking more toward the futures I was trying to draw us toward, and not enough toward the futures it was my duty to prevent. I have failed so many of my subjects."

"Don't claim alone a failure whose blame is shared with others." Jakob only shook his head, staring out to the northeast. However beautiful the Scottish landscape, he had eyes only for the sea. "It is time you cast your thoughts in new directions, my Duke."

"Oh?" His attention stopped drifting at her decisive tone. Louise Charlotte had both a talent and, in her view, a responsibility to draw out the best of her husband's vision and planning. "Charles Stuart advises you not to wait out your war in Scotland while his own is unresolved here. Frederick the third of Oldenburg refuses to let you bide your time in Flekkerøy, though your lease remains otherwise welcome. Sweden has made staying in the Baltic unsafe. All this is clear to you already, you've been wondering what makes an existing safe place. I ask instead, how can you make a new place safe?"

"Hastily marrying Martin to the daughter of a prince with a large army and a good port? Perhaps pledging Louise Elizabeth's hand to the same prince's son?"

She swatted him, playfully. "I was intending a serious conversation with you, but I'll happily play this game for a moment if it lightens your mood. All right. Let's start down this very hill. How do you like the sound of Henrietta Kettler, née Stuart, Duchess of Courland and Semigallia and Princess of the British Isles?"

"I advised her father against making matches too young, once. I'd be a hypocrite to request the opposite now. Still, a better match than Anne Sophie, née Oldenburg."

"Save that little Anne Sophie broached that match to Martin already. She'll probably have a little Martin Kettler doll in her doll house after our stay in Copenhagen."

"Are there teenaged Radziwiłłs of the right age?"

"Which branch?"

"Wait, never mind. You said you needed a port."

"If their army can come down to defend us, we could keep Libau going as our port."

"Fine. But... the Radziwiłłs of influence have no children of suitable age, and any with children and without influence wouldn't help our cause. Oh! I have one. Maria of Orange!"

"Maria... she's what, thirteen? Good Calvinist stock. Fine ports. Worthy alliance. Well worth a letter or an ambassadorial visit to ask."

"Gah!" - she swatted him, playfully - "the moment you treat such a game seriously, it stops being fun."

"My darling wife, you did lighten my spirits with it, and I thank you for it."

"My dear husband, I'm afraid the game had a point to it. There is no place better than any other for biding your time in exile from Courland. Don't make yourself miserable by staying as near as possible to what you've lost, when letters and emissaries are all you have to reach it. Letters and emissaries can be sent equally well from Visby, or from Amsterdam, or beyond."

"A thought like that ends in a proposal. Out with it."

"Odd of you to put it like that, as it relates of a proposal you made to me, and my parents, so long ago."
    With the Scottish lowlands and the North Sea extending beautifully all around from their high vantage point, Jakob's gaze took in nothing so much as his wife's lively face, still lovely at 38 years old.
    "You promised me gardens on three continents, my lord. I never thought I'd see or personally tend to any but the European ones, if I'm honest. But perhaps it's time you took me to see the others."

Last edited:
    54. Lisbon, the Atlantic, the Gambia river, and Saint-Louis, December 1655 - January 1656.
  • A New Year

The fleet was a museum, preserving the past to inform the future. The fleet was a commonwealth, invisibly flattening social hierarchy. The fleet was a library, exploring its knowledge and ignorance. The fleet was a city, and the city was having a census.

Over ten thousand colonists were travelling at once, from Edinburgh to about Madeira, past which those bound for Tobago would peel off westward while the remainder went south. During that voyage, who was to go where needed sorting out. Masters or apprentices of trades needed everywhere were divided up, serfs and peasants were mostly assigned to Tobago or Fernau. Soldiers or those who could become soldiers were mostly invited to Bandschul or Tobago. Astronomers wanted to go where the weather was clear, and were lured by the southern stars of Saint Helena.

But lack also influenced decisions. A lack of contact: as far as anyone knew, Saint Helena was the village farthest from its neighbouring village, anywhere. A lack of sun: It was by now known that Fernau was a rainy place, and the rains on its southern shore in particular were the stuff of children's stories. A lack of a need to learn a new language would nudge people toward choosing Tobago. A lack of cool weather... well, one could always climb a mountain if cool air was truly important. Everything would be a mountain to Couralnders, though. Tiny Tobago rose to twice the height of Courland's highest hill. Saint Helena was less than half the size of Tobago, but rose higher than Courland's and Tobago's highest points combined again. Fernau had three peaks, the least of which dwarfed Saint Helena. A desire for land lacking such hills would send one to the Gambia.

Sorting happened in other ways, too. Families would migrate together. Jews disproportionately asked to go to Fernau, though some with real or imagined histories in mind thought to establish themselves on the Gambia, or inland of it. Those who had learned some Portuguese or French also might choose the Gambia, which lay near other countries' trading posts. Some people simply wanted to follow where someone they knew had gone before.

Martin, head swimming since Edinburgh from stories of a place further north in Scotland that had seen two eclipses hiding the sun within three years, thought he might want to be where the astronomers went. Louise Charlotte wanted to visit where her gardens were. Jakob wanted to be in his study, in Libau, looking out over the Baltic, at peace. So did his younger children, not understanding, except the room they wanted wasn't the study. Joachim was content when he was with Martin, or his mother. It was easier to get Martin's time than his mother's.

- - -

The entire fleet put in at Lisbon, for provisions and to mark Christmas. Lisbon nobles were surprised to find a European ruler leaving Europe, but were happy to play host to Kettlers or other Couronian nobles for a night or two for gossip and news. To the extent Courland's liberty of religious belief was known or understood, it played in Jakob's favour: he was the least-bad Protestant ruler out there.

The Courlanders learned of Portugal's surely imminent success in their pursuit or restored independence, how Catalunya was not far behind them, and how, unfortunately, things weren't going Portugal's way quite as much in Brazil against the Dutch.

Then they sailed onward, again. Courland's Ark was doing its best to be the Martin Maritime Academy, only at sea. Those who might learn or teach were brought on board between ports or freshwater stops.

At one stop, Safi (or Asfi) in Morocco, Jakob left behind an ambassador to travel inland and make friends in Marrakech. He might have gone himself had he planned to spend more time away from Europe, and he wouldn't have sent anyone were his people not moving en masse down the Moroccan coast.

Safi was also where the fleet split: about a quarter of the ships, holding about a third of the people, peeled off toward Madeira en route to Tobago. No ship carrying colonists with a minimum of discomfort would also carry slaves with any efficiency. The Tobago-bound captains were encouraged to exercise their best judgment in attempting to fill their holds for a return to Europe - even if they had to purchase from plantations of other colonies to do so. Past some point, that would no longer be profitable enough for some ships, which were then encouraged to do a scaled-up version of a routine, but marginal, Courland project: to gather a maximum of fruit trees, medicinal plants, and other botanical curios to bring to Fernau and Saint Helena.

Finally, three ships were asked to simply explore before eventually making port in Fernau or Saint Helena. They were asked to keep between Cape Horn and Île Bourbon, give or take, and again to return with every possible plant of potential commercial interest.

The majority of the fleet that did not head for Madeira and Tobago continued on to Bandschul.

55. Bandschul, Barra and Kombo, January 1656.
  • Fernau, for now - part one

The docks at Banschul did not have enough berths for the fleet. Accordingly, and to a lesser extent as a flex, some ships put in at the French port of Saint-Louis at the mouth of the Senegal River, some at the presently-Dutch, often-Portuguese island-port of Gorée (Goeree) sheltered just beyond the Cape Verde (Kap Weert). Others passed both and went directly for the mouth of the Gambia, the same distance south of the Cape as the Saint-Louis was north of it.

Martin noted that the farther south they went, the more everyone looked differently at the darker-skinned people sailing amongst them, and Njikobiya in particular.

"Njikobiya, do you feel close to home now?"
    "No. Your boat men say home is still half a moon away."
    "But now when we stop for water, there are people with skin like yours."
    "Skin is not home."
    "True. We stopped at Copenhagen and Flekkerøy and Edinburgh and they had skin like me. But they were not home. I see Courland people see more black people and feel far from home."
    "Your boats have people with both black and white grandfathers. Skin is not home."

At each port, more people asked to come aboard Courland's Ark for Njikobiya's language teaching. Others asked mulattos on board to teach them, and didn't at first understand why they spoke different languages from Njikobiya (many spoke a Portuguese creole, and that was worth learning, too). Couronian naïveté was being stripped away, day by day, as the fleet continued south.

- - -

"My lord Duke, I... I..." Möller was in a polite state of shock to see Jakob in the Gambia. He had never seen so many ships flying the black crayfish on raspberry red.

"Herr Möller, you've done well here. You'll have so many countrymen and women glad to be able to sleep under a roof rather than a ship's deck tonight."

"Not to be impolite, my lord... but why are you here?"

"War. Sweden came at us from Riga, and later sought to end my rule with an opportune sea battle. I can't tell you whether we still hold any of our homeland. But these ships hold enough people with enough knowledge and enough skills to keep our enterprise going."

"Bandschul won't fit you all for long."

"Bandschul won't have to. We sent a good many people and ships to Tobago. Most of us are heading to Fernau do Po. I mean to leave explorers with you to find that great river we brought those Danes to look for so long ago. And you'll have more men here for trade, diplomacy, and for making whatever it makes sense to make here instead of getting from Europe. Think about what makes sense, and what you need. I'll stay a few days, even as other ships continue on to not be a drain on your stores."

"Ja. Ja.... If you're here for days, I suppose we'll have to introduce you to your landlords, my lord."

- - -

Permission to settle on and use Bandschul, Dog Island, Fire Point, and Saint Jakob's Island had been granted by two different kings, who were being paid annually in gratitude if not explicitly as a lease. There were many small kingdoms; none straddled the wide Gambia River. Courland's colony was somewhat the exception, with Bandschul on the left bank while Dog Island and Fire Point were on the right.

Bandschul was on a long, low island rimmed with beaches facing the river's main channel to its north and east sides, and a slowly-evolving stalemate between water and land to the southwest, a miniature river delta. The colony was at the southeasternmost corner of the island, though the occasional building appeared all along the north shore, watching the wide river mouth.

It was January, and January in Bandschul was warmer at night than Libau was by day in July. It was bone-dry, though, so shade was an instant reprieve for anyone finding the sun too hot. Those without responsibilities enjoyed a beach day, in water saltier than the Baltic, amidst landscapes completely unfamiliar to them. So much dryness. Palm trees. This river mouth, wider than any back home, save Prussia's lagoon south of Memel.

They would cross it to the right bank, where the small port of Barra occupied the spot nearest Bandschul on the left bank. Barra had given its name to the kingdom on that side of the river mouth, which had also been called Niumi before.

"The king will either be at Barra or Berending, less than two miles' walk from Barra."

- - -

They found him at Barra. Möller accompanied the Duke, Duchess, and their two oldest children, with five aides to translate, advise, and help bring gifts. The king of Barra served them a meal of rice and millet dishes, with spicy red peppers the likes of which the Baltic had never tasted. Dessert included banana and pineapple, which came to Barra from elsewhere before Courlanders did, though Courland had brought them rather more diversity of bananas from elsewhere around the Atlantic in the last decade.

Only at the King's table were there chairs. Jakob's knees were grateful he was welcome there. Möller had told him not to look directly at the King's face unless the King was first looking directly at Jakob's, which took some getting used to. No one at other tables looked the King in the face at all, and most seemed to avoid Jakob's face in the same way. Jakob felt a world away from diplomatic letters written in Latin.

At the King's table, gifts were exchanged, favours requested, promises made. Courland gave orange trees from Morocco, purchased earlier in their voyage, and promised more diversity of fruits, peppers, and nuts in the future. Barra guides would help Couronian adventurers seek the great river deep inland, and Barra would introduce these adventurers to the peoples further up the Gambia, until they left the river behind.

- - -

Kneeling at a lower table, though with a small cushion, Martin and Louise Elisabeth sat with relatives of the King, mostly near their own age. The conversation was led by a girl who seemed younger than Martin, but older than Louise Elisabeth. Faces were so different here. It was hard to tell ages. Her clothing was made of light cloth that might have been Portuguese or local, had they known enough about what came from either Portugal or here. Either way, with her dark skin, nothing about her could truly look European.

"Vous comprenez le français?" The Kettler children nodded. And so conversation proceeded mostly in French, interspersed with Mandinka or a Portuguese creole on the one side, and German on the other. (Nothing Martin had learned from Njikobiya was of any use.)

"I am a daughter of the Mansa - le roi - of Barra. You are a son and daughter of the Mansa of Kurla, yes?"

"Yes. Our father is Herzog - le duc - of Courlande et Semigalle. We do not know the word "Mansa" where we come from. But there is war in Courland and Semigallia. Our line may only be dukes of Fernau, for now. Je m'appelle Martin, ma soeur s'appelle Louise Élisabeth."

"Vous pouvez m'appeler La Bélinguère."

"Is that a name?"

"It is a way to call me and have no one else answer."

"Can we also get names like that?"

La Belinguere smiled. "I am also called Marie. But you can also find others called Marie."

Marie's mother was half-Portuguese, married to the Mansa of Barra to solidify a trading relationship, the way the strongest trading relationships were solidified. Martin thought for a span of seconds what further twists to his future might see him or Joachim marry Marie La Belinguere, and what trade it would need to secure to be worth it.

- - -

Goodbyes were said at Bandschul to those staying with Möller in the Gambia, and to those adventuring inland. The ships that had carried these people set to returning to Barra or points upriver to purchase slaves from Barra or other friendly kingdoms, and then to sail them to eager markets across the Atlantic. The northern winter was a slow season for the slave trade, as so many rivers became too dry to bring slaves from further up the river valleys of this part of the continent. They would get good prices if they could fill their hull.

Jakob stopped to visit his other "landlord" - the Mansa of Kombo, who lived nearer the Casamance river than the Gambia. As with Barra, there were gifts, favours, and promises. There were lessons in local diplomacy. There were first-hand experiences of things mentioned in dispatches to Libau. There was hospitality and heat.

What there wasn't was another Belinguere.

Last edited: