Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Would it be worth send out Admiral Ramsey to add to his experience (he was in charge at Dunkirk and OTL planned the naval side of Overlord)
Possibly. I don't think it would hurt their chances.

Thats actually really helpful, because it lets you know what you would need to do in the event that an amphibious landing went competely kaput and you needed to get your men and as much material out of there as possible as fast as possible.
Yep.

Also, remember, the British aren't attempting an amphibious landing in isolation, they're going to have a lot of support from the RN and RAF, which should help cover for any mistakes.

There's more to taking Rhodes than the territorial gains described above.

Threatening Rhodes puts Italy in the position of trying to defend it - either risking their last few naval units or tying up all their air transport in expensive and risky reinforcement missions - or effectively ceding Rhodes to the allies along with the other Greek islands.
This further weakens Mussolini, which increases the chances of overthrow.
This matters a lot because even a generous Italian armistice weakens the axis, effectively cedes the Med to the allies (there would be no direct axis outlets at this stage) and sends a powerful political message around the world that the axis is beatable and can be broken up.

Add to this, the experience of amphibious landings even if unopposed or only weakly opposed is useful and makes a statement that every Mediterranean coast is now vulnerable.

Would the Italians be willing to risk what's left of their Navy though? The RN may not have taken the horrendous losses that Crete caused in the long and short term which is a major bonus but the Italian Admirals would know they have to run a massive gauntlet to even hope of relieving Rhodes he orders that it's the equivalent of one of the Germans death rides.

Would the Italian officer Corps be willing to even try something so blatantly suicidal.

Would the Italians be willing to risk what's left of their Navy though? The RN may not have taken the horrendous losses that Crete caused in the long and short term which is a major bonus but the Italian Admirals would know they have to run a massive gauntlet to even hope of relieving Rhodes he orders that it's the equivalent of one of the Germans death rides.

Would the Italian officer Corps be willing to even try something so blatantly suicidal.
Exactly.
I think it's safe to assume that the allies know this too, and probably a few of the Italian leaders on Rhodes have at least some suspicions.

This matters a lot because even a generous Italian armistice weakens the axis, effectively cedes the Med to the allies (there would be no direct axis outlets at this stage) and sends a powerful political message around the world that the axis is beatable and can be broken up.

It's probably fairly optimistic especially at this stage, but if Italy capitulates earlier it probably won't have German forces in its borders this time round, and with what happened in North Africa, the Germans might want to put some forces aside to keep an eye on them even if they aren't actively belligerent.

Mussolini's probably safe for another year, but once the British land in Sicily he's toast.

Ironically, I think he might actually be more vulnerable if he forces the Italian Navy to go out and they gut utterly crushed than if they just cede Rhodes.

Ceding an undefendable Island even if it means abandoning the troops can at least be justified with the idea that there was nothing he could do.

Sending the last remnants of the Italian Navy out to die for his own pride on the other hand?

I don't think it's particularly likely, but if North Africa is finished off and Rhodes falls after a Mussolini forced suicide run in quick succession then that could be enough for morale to drop and people to start plotting.

Mussolini's probably safe for another year, but once the British land in Sicily he's toast.
I can't see how he could hold on a year. Within a month or two he will have lost every Italian colony in Africa (a year and a half earlier than OTL) and without any victories to boast of because he made bad choices. He can't or won't defend the Greek islands they took off the Ottomans only 30 years ago (again a year and a half earlier than OTL). He had to call in the Germans because the Italian army failed in Greece and Albania. And, to cap this, their German allies not only got beaten comprehensively by the allies in Africa, but on the way abandoned Italians units in battle and then blamed the Italians for failure. In addition, the Region Marina has effectively been neutered.
So you don't need to invade Sicily to show the fascist council, king and people they have the wrong man in charge.
Now there's no guarantee he will be ousted, but with no navy, a beaten army, no empire, a weaselly useless ally and an ongoing threat of further loss, there's a strong case to come to terms before it gets even worse. If Mussolini tries to block this, who would want to support him?

So one operation, and then the ships go back to Britain? Doesn't sound efficient TBH. My thought is, they use them first to cut off the Axis escape in Tunisia (landing somewhere around Zuwara perhaps), followed a few months later by an attempt at Rhodes.

Well, I had in mind the 1941 campaign season. Naturally there is no reason for the amphibious ship to return to Britain during the winter. The last update took place at September 17th. I don't think that the British can start Crusader before late October or even the first week of November. To me it makes sense to wait a couple weeks more in order to get a heavier opening punch. With the distances involved and the challenges in logistics, I would expect the British not to attempt a battle of attrition and then exploitation but a quick and heavy offensive. The shorter the offensive, the easier the logistics.

14 August 1941. Canal Zone, Egypt.

Wavell’s requests for reinforcements were starting to build up. The 50th (Northumberland) Division had arrived in June on Convoy WS8, and had been acclimatising and getting used to desert existence. The 9th (Highland) Division, who had been acting as line of communication troop in the Canal Zone had hoped that they would be relieved of this role and move up to the front to get into action. General Wavell didn’t want to go through a process of three Brigades having to exchange with another three Brigades, with all the problems associated. 50th (Northumberland) Division had proven itself at the Battle of Arras, and had been brought up to strength having come back from Dunkirk. Wavell wanted O’Connor to have the 50th Division join 7th Armoured, and 6th Infantry Division as XIII Corps.

9th Australian Division would be replaced by 50th Division, allowing General Blamey to create an Australian Corps of three Divisions. 6th and 7th Australian Divisions were keeping the Vichy French in Syria honest. 6th Division were still recovering from their escapades in Greece, and 7th Division training and equipment levels were reaching completeness. The situation with the growing Japanese numbers in Vichy IndoChina was of deep concern to the Australian Government in Canberra. Wavell was waiting for word that at least one of the Australian Divisions would go to support 8th Australian Division already in Malaya. Both the 6th and 9th Divisions had been reduced by their efforts up until now, the 7th Division was as yet unbloodied. If Wavell was given the choice, he’d argue that he be allowed to keep 7th Division. This would give the men of 6th and 9th Divisions the chance for some home leave, and save reinforcement drafts to travel to the Middle East, only to return again.

The 10th Armoured Division (formerly 1st Cavalry Division) had received enough tanks in June to fully equip one of its Brigades. 9th Armoured Brigade (formerly 4th Cavalry) had been chosen to receive these. The 1st Household Cavalry Regiment (HCR) had taken possession of the first Lend Lease American tanks, Light Tank M3, which had been named for General Stuart of the American Civil War. The South Wiltshire and Warwick Yeomanry Regiments had the first 120 A15MkII Cruiser Mark VI shipped overseas. The discovery of the problem with the external mounting of the air cleaners had now been fixed and work had been done to sort out some of the problems with the cooling fan chain and the oil pumps, hence they were known as Mark IIs. Although these obvious fixes had been made in the factory, they hadn’t been fully tested. A list of potential problems, and their potential fixes, had arrived with the tanks, and the mechanics and crews were trying to get to grips with the problems.

8th Armoured Brigade (formerly 6th Cavalry) had taken possession of all the odds and ends of tanks that were still running after the campaign in Iraq. This was allowing them to quicken the pace of mechanisation. It was hoped that by the time the next convoy arrived with another Brigade’s worth of tanks, they would be fully prepared. 5th Cavalry Brigade, still acting in the occupation duties in Palestine, was facing becoming a Motorised Infantry Brigade made up of the Yorkshire Dragoons and Hussars, and the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry. Nobody in the Brigade was happy about this, but an Armoured Division consisted of only two Armoured Brigades, with one Motorised Infantry Brigade.

There was a growing concern about the German invasion of the Soviet Union. If the Nazis managed to reach the Caucasus before winter, there was a threat that they might send a force south, through Iran and threaten the Iraq oil fields, indeed the whole British position in the Middle East. Wavell’s opinion was any such attempt would be unlikely before April 1942, but General Auchinleck, as C-in-C India, whose responsibility Persia came under, wanted to pre-empt the problem. 10th Indian Division was already in Iraq, with 2nd Indian Armoured Brigade Group and newly arrived 8th Division. The Armoured Brigade were armoured in as far as they had a variety of light tanks, armoured cars, and universal carriers. Auchinleck believed that with the addition of 9th Armoured Brigade and some other forces, it would be a strong enough force to push up towards Tehran. The Soviets were keen on keeping the route from the Middle East open to receive Lend Lease material from America. They too were keen to make sure that Iran wouldn’t be a problem.

A joint request from Britain and the Soviet Union to expel all Germans from Iran had been delivered in July, and another was likely to be sent in a few days. General ‘Jumbo’ Wilson had been informed that 9th Armoured Brigade would be called upon to take part in an action in Iran. Wilson’s concern that the three Regiments wouldn’t yet be fully operational in their new tanks was considered, but Auchinleck was relying on their availability. The Indian Army had been reinforcing Iraq, so that the two Indian Divisions and 2nd Indian Armoured Brigade Group were available to take Tehran. 6th Indian Division was currently preparing to be sent to the Basra area, they were due to arrive in September.

While Iran was Auchinleck’s operational area, Wavell was concerned that once again forces under his command, not least the RAF, would be caught up in yet another operation. The numbers of vehicles that would be needed to support the forces moving from Iraq into Iran would have to come from the reserve that Wavell was trying to build up. The RAF’s expansion in Malta and in the Middle East was fragile. Wavell and Air Marshall Tedder were more concerned about being able to finish off Tripoli. Having to put more aircraft into Iraq to support an incursion into Iran would again mean that instead of strengthening their position, the RAF would be over extended. London had made it clear that they wanted Iran to be made safe, and so Wavell authorised those forces needed to the command of General Edward Quinan, who would have overall command of the project, with Major-General Bill Slim commanding the land forces.

WS8 had also brought enough Valiant I Infantry Tanks to bring 7th Armoured Division back up to full strength. Once they had been checked over in the Delta workshops, the were loaded onto Royal Navy A Lighters and sailed in convoy along the coast and delivered over the beach at Marsa al Berga. This was where the 7th Armoured Division’s workshops had moving to from Bardia and Tobruk. The advance of the British forces to Beurat meant that Bardia was far too far in the rear to be able to support the Division. All the tanks which had been disabled for one reason or another had been gathered there to be fixed up or cannibalised. It was 250 miles from the front line, and since no one wanted the tanks still running, to have to make a 500 mile round trip for servicing, the Light Aid Detachments of both 7th Armoured and 22nd Armoured opened workshops in Sirte to provide the tanks at the front a much closer base to have routine maintenance. The replacement tanks were carried on tank transporters to Sirte, where they were united with their crews.

The next convoy, WS9A, that had arrived in July, had enough Valiant I* Cruiser tanks to equip 1st Armoured Brigade. The men of 1st Armoured Brigade had been employed in various tasks. Some had been training the Greeks in using and maintaining armoured vehicles, if the Italian tankettes could be considered as such. Others had been sent up to 7th and 22nd Armoured Divisions or become familiar with the Valiant tanks that they would be equipped with. The Valiant I* was quite a different beast from the A13MkII they had been used to. The training they were doing would soon see them ready to match up again with 22nd Armoured Brigade, to re-establish 2nd Armoured Division. 3rd Indian Motor Brigade were being brought back up to full strength, and 22nd Armoured Brigade were due to receive the next lot of Valiant I* Cruisers, due to arrive on WS9B in August. By the end of August 2nd and 7th Armoured Divisions would be at full strength. The men of 7th Tank Brigade had largely been used as replacements for casualties in 4th, 7th and 22nd Armoured Brigades.
Hmm. 'Iran' or 'Persia'? I know Churchill seems to prefer the use of 'Persia' in his memoirs, although he's from an older generation and Wikipedia currently claims that the government of Iran/Persia had expressed a preference for 'Iran' in the 1930's.

Hmm. 'Iran' or 'Persia'? I know Churchill seems to prefer the use of 'Persia' in his memoirs, although he's from an older generation and Wikipedia currently claims that the government of Iran/Persia had expressed a preference for 'Iran' in the 1930's.
Real world contemporary evidence seems to suggest that outside of open official statements, most in the "West" continued to refer to it as Persia for a good few years.

The name change was, after all, only in 35. It takes time for that kind of thing to spread beyond official addresses and into common language and thought.

I used Iran for that reason, it was the governments preferred choice of name. I believe Iran is how Iranians would say 'Persia', they mean the same.

Here a list of all Warships that were damage or lost at the battle of Crete:
<snip>
Cruisers
Gloucester (sunk) — 725 dead.
Fiji (sunk) — 5 dead, 271 missing, 24 wounded.

Destroyers
Juno (sunk) — 12 dead, 116 missing, 21 wounded.
Greyhound (sunk) — 1 dead, 83 missing, 23 wounded.
Diamond (sunk) — 155 missing, 1 wounded.
Wryneck (sunk) — 108 missing, 5 wounded
Diamond and Wryneck were sunk in the evacuation of Greece, which also happened TTL, and Gloucester, Fiji, Juno & Greyhound were sunk while on anti-invasion sweeps north of Crete, before the evacuation had started. Given that the Luftwaffe had air superiority over Crete TTL as well, it's probably optimistic to assume that the Royal Navy got off completely unscathed.

Which points up an issue with a prospective invasion of Rhodes - without air superiority over the Aegean, any campaign there is likely to end as a bloody mess (c.f. the OTL Dodecanese Campaign of 1943). So before Rhodes can be contemplated, the RAF will have to build up enough forces and supplies on Crete to control the skies. I haven't heard anything about Crete Convoys (the ports in Crete are inconveniently on the North side of the island), but doing so may be neither quick nor easy.

Still, I think an Aegean operation is more likely than some sort of amphibious hook into Tripolitania. The Axis still have considerable air and naval strength in the Central Mediterranean and the risks of the invasion force either being attacked at sea or finding itself cut off in the desert, with no supply lines, hundreds of miles from friendly forces are too high for any likely gain. It's not like the British have had much trouble turning Italian defensive lines this far.

I can't see how he could hold on a year. Within a month or two he will have lost every Italian colony in Africa (a year and a half earlier than OTL) and without any victories to boast of because he made bad choices. He can't or won't defend the Greek islands they took off the Ottomans only 30 years ago (again a year and a half earlier than OTL). He had to call in the Germans because the Italian army failed in Greece and Albania. And, to cap this, their German allies not only got beaten comprehensively by the allies in Africa, but on the way abandoned Italians units in battle and then blamed the Italians for failure. In addition, the Region Marina has effectively been neutered.
The problem, as I've said before, is the Italian occupation zones in Dalmatia and Albania - they can't expect to hold them in a separate peace, which means that any new government would have to start by signing away the only territory Italy has managed to gain in this war - without a foreign boot on Italian soil and with no real prospect of getting East Africa or the Dodecanese back. I suspect the Moose will hold on until Italy's position becomes blatantly hopeless, simply because no-one else wants the responsibility.

I used Iran for that reason, it was the governments preferred choice of name. I believe Iran is how Iranians would say 'Persia', they mean the same.
Persia/Persis - Fars in Iranian - is one of the provinces of Iran and the homeland of Iran's largest ethnic group, the Persians. Because it's where the ancient Royal dynasties came from and where the Royal capitals were European's picked up the habit of calling the entire region/country Persia.

It's the same as reffering to the United Kingdom as "England" or calling the Netherlands "Holland".

Your point of view seemed to me to be that of 1940's British military members in that update - not of 1940's Iranians - but oh well...
As with Tolkien in The Hobbit, I guess you can omniscient narrator translate for the benefit of modern readers... :)

<snip>

Diamond and Wryneck were sunk in the evacuation of Greece, which also happened TTL, and Gloucester, Fiji, Juno & Greyhound were sunk while on anti-invasion sweeps north of Crete, before the evacuation had started. Given that the Luftwaffe had air superiority over Crete TTL as well, it's probably optimistic to assume that the Royal Navy got off completely unscathed.
It's noted that that the deployment of the 100th Mountain Regiment was called off as the aircraft were over Crete, which would have been seen by the British. It's quite possible Gloucester, Fiji, Juno & Greyhound weren't sent on anti-invasion sweeps here.

Which points up an issue with a prospective invasion of Rhodes - without air superiority over the Aegean, any campaign there is likely to end as a bloody mess (c.f. the OTL Dodecanese Campaign of 1943). So before Rhodes can be contemplated, the RAF will have to build up enough forces and supplies on Crete to control the skies. I haven't heard anything about Crete Convoys (the ports in Crete are inconveniently on the North side of the island), but doing so may be neither quick nor easy.
Allan has stated repeatedly that this is primarliy a tank -based story, so such developments, as Cretan infrastructure might well get ignored. Also, Britain has carriers to help cover a shortfall in their land-based airpower.

Still, I think an Aegean operation is more likely than some sort of amphibious hook into Tripolitania. The Axis still have considerable air and naval strength in the Central Mediterranean and the risks of the invasion force either being attacked at sea or finding itself cut off in the desert, with no supply lines, hundreds of miles from friendly forces are too high for any likely gain. It's not like the British have had much trouble turning Italian defensive lines this far.
With so much focus on attacks coming from the east, it's quite possible the Axis government in Tripoli might miss the deployment of an amphibious force landing to the west of Tripoli.

It's something I never considered but you know, with the UK putting so much more effort in diesel powerplants compared to OTL* I'm curious about Ricardo's whereabouts since in 1941 he was working on I8 and H16 diesels for the army.

In the end it might also bring the advent of fully dieselised forces a decade or two forward compared to OTL.

*And fun fact, Canada briefly worked on a dieselised version of the Ford GAA V8 and the Commonwealth considered a diesel Meteor OTL.