Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Given that this year is possibly one of the largest years for democratic voting in history worldwide, a good theme to start the year off could be something like...

It's the worst form of Government - except the rest
Create a map showing a major democratic election of global significance.

Or...

The best argument against democracy is a conversation with the average voter
Create an election map showing an election in a flawed or fake democracy.

Clarification on the prompt for MotF 285 that might be helpful: While there might be examples of smaller democracies such as the Athenians or Iroquois who had democracies in the past, by and large this should be the first modern, notable nation to experiment with democracy.

Clarification on the prompt for MotF 285 that might be helpful: While there might be examples of smaller democracies such as the Athenians or Iroquois who had democracies in the past, by and large this should be the first modern, notable nation to experiment with democracy.
Oh wow thanks for the clarification I had not read the prompt that way at all.

I was interpreting it as "a country gets democracy for the first time ever"

But I can work with this.

There is still one more day to vote for MotM 11: The Times They Are A-Changin'. MotF 285: Demokratia will close in one week, so get your submissions in!

The Die is Cast: Make a map showing the outcome of a decision decided by chance (such as by flipping a coin, rolling dice, or rock-paper-scissors) or by a game. OTL examples include Julius Caesar's (alleged) rollimg of dice to confirm his decision to cross the Rubicon, Hewlett-Packard flipping a coin to decide who went first in the name, or Denmark and Norway playong poker to decide who got Iceland and Greenland.

Sooooooo with no submissions, we can extend the current round or scrap the idea and try again. Anyone have anything in the works that would warrant an extension? Anyone have other prompt ideas they would rather participate in?

Sooooooo with no submissions, we can extend the current round or scrap the idea and try again. Anyone have anything in the works that would warrant an extension? Anyone have other prompt ideas they would rather participate in?
To be honest, I think (and I don't know about the others) that recently a lot of the themes have been really specific. It makes it hard to come up with a concept.

Better for the themes to be a bit more open ended I think, given that the alternative tends to just be that nobody submits.

I know for example I was quite interested in the idea of a theme surrounding democracy and autocracy, thus why I made my earlier suggestion, but this theme that was chosen I have no idea how to present on a map. So I've not done one.

This particular contest has been a bit troubled on my side... I was having a hard time finding a nice scenario to depict (and even now I'm not entirely sure of the one I chose, I think it's more challenging than fun, to be honest)... and then I broke my arm. I have had surgery and am recovering well, but between the time lost, still recovering my speed and a challenging scenario, I am seriously doubting I could finish it in time. So maybe I'd leave it for a later challenge or something.