Decision Points: The Presidency of Al Gore

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps Rehnquist might die sooner of Thyroid Cancer ITTL. O'Connor might stay on until September 2005, like IOTL.

PI said McCain ITTL gets the OTL Supreme Court appointees that includes OConner. How does a different president affect Rhenquists health?

I'm just waiting for McCain to pick Chuck Hagel for Secretary of Defense. He was urging Bush to make the pick in OTL. Without the Iraq war to break up their friendship, it seems likely that Hagel will find a spot in the McCain cabinet somewhere. The irony.:D

If McCain is in office in 2008...expect WWIII over Georgia. If we survive, expect a swift defeat for McCain once the news comes out about Georgia shooting first.

Deleted member 16736

Oh my God. No Mitch Daniels for Governor of Indiana. That makes perfect sense, of course. But OH MY GOD! You've completely butterflied away my entire experience in politics because there's no way in HELL I'd try to get Dan Coats elected governor. (Actually, and not that it matters at all, but Coats is so much of a beltway kind of guy, I doubt he'd have any interest in running for governor.)

Great responses guys. Expect an update on the transition/end of the Gore Presidency/inauguration this week. As for a few recurring points:

1-State Senator Barack Obama decided against running for the Senate in 2004. He remains in Springfield and has developed a solid following among liberals and progressives within his own party. Comptroller Dan Hines won the Democratic primary after the self-destruction of Blair Hull. Lee Oberweis won the Republican nomination, and went on to lose by a solid margin.

2-Paul Wellstone remains the leader of the "new left" in the Senate. His MS has progressed with his age, but he remains fully capable of maintaining his duties. What he does in 2008 remains to be seen, though speculation runs high that he will run for the White House.

3-Mitt Romney never got the chance to run for Governor of Massachusetts. Paul Celluci was elected in 1998, and was appointed as an ambassador in 2001. Therefore, there was an open race in 2002 in OTL. But in this timeline, Celluci wasn't given an ambassadorship and remained governor. He was defeated by Stephen Grossman, a friend of the Clinton's and former head of the DNC. As for Romney, he played an active role in bringing the Olympics to Salt Lake and has a strong reputation among the business community. His name has been mentioned for a run for office, but he declined to run in New Hampshire or Massachusetts. In 2004, he was the chairman of Jon Huntsman's successful campaign for Governor of Utah and has been mentioned for a possible position in the McCain Administration.

3-Mitt Romney never got the chance to run for Governor of Massachusetts. Paul Celluci was elected in 1998, and was appointed as an ambassador in 2001. Therefore, there was an open race in 2002 in OTL. But in this timeline, Celluci wasn't given an ambassadorship and remained governor. He was defeated by Stephen Grossman, a friend of the Clinton's and former head of the DNC. As for Romney, he played an active role in bringing the Olympics to Salt Lake and has a strong reputation among the business community. His name has been mentioned for a run for office, but he declined to run in New Hampshire or Massachusetts. In 2004, he was the chairman of Jon Huntsman's successful campaign for Governor of Utah and has been mentioned for a possible position in the McCain Administration.

Perhaps he'll be heading the Commerce Department hcallega.