Alternate world Propaganda

Although considering that Finnish isn't an Indo-European language, it's hardly surprising the word should be so unusual to a native English speaker.

Although considering that Finnish isn't an Indo-European language, it's hardly surprising the word should be so unusual to a native English speaker.

Hungarian isn't either and still uses rádioaktivitás, or loanwords like hidrogén, oxigén, nitrogén in modern parlance. This is all despite how famously nativist Hungarian is in most of its scientific terminology. In fact, in the 19th century, there were attempts to nativise the names of chemical elements too, but unlike in most other fields of science, the effort didn't catch on in Hungarian chemistry, for who knows what reason. Otherwise you'd still hear people tossing around terms like köneny or gyulany for "nitrogen". So, paradoxically, Slovak is nowadays more nativist in its chemistry terminology than Hungarian (horčík = magnesium, kyslík = oxygen, dusík = nitrogen, uhlík = carbon, etc.), despite the original plans for that being almost opposite. :eek: :D

But I digress... This whole post is already starting to sound like something written by Thande for Look to the West... :p :eek:

A Winter Worker's Party Poster:

hammers.png

"Säteilylle" means radiation in Finnish ? What a peculiar word...

Radiation is säteily, nuclear radiation specifically would be ydinsäteily (ydin="nucleus"). Säteilylle is "to radiation".

The word is derived from säde, meaning "ray" as in a ray of light, as well as "radius", so it is a very much a nativist word modeled on the Latin term. I understand there was an effort to introduce säde-derived sätiö as the word for "radio", somewhat logically, but it never got off the ground.

Thande

Donor
But I digress... This whole post is already starting to sound like something written by Thande for Look to the West... :p :eek:

Did I see the Thande-signal being raised over this thread? ;)

From DrakonFin's explanation, it seems as though the Finns took a "Lord Privy Seal" approach to translating the term, i.e. going back to the root word (ray) from which "radiation" is derived and creating their own term based on that. That sort of approach is going to produce a less familiar-looking word even if Finnish wasn't a non Indo-European language. I've seen similar things come out of English nativist attempts to purge Latinate words out of the language and replace them with neologisms based on going down to the root word and then finding an Anglo-Saxon equivalent (e.g. on the Old English Wikipedia they came up with "Foresittend" for "President").

Vexacus

Banned
Here's a propaganda poster which will be used in the TL in my sig:

It's based on a poster I found on Google Images about the Nazis relocating the Jews to Madagascar

Did I see the Thande-signal being raised over this thread? ;)

"Look ! Up in the sky !"
"It's a bird, it's a plane..."
"No, it's everyone's favourite beaker-wielding, C&C-loving Yorkshireman !"

:D

From DrakonFin's explanation, it seems as though the Finns took a "Lord Privy Seal" approach to translating the term, i.e. going back to the root word (ray) from which "radiation" is derived and creating their own term based on that. That sort of approach is going to produce a less familiar-looking word even if Finnish wasn't a non Indo-European language. I've seen similar things come out of English nativist attempts to purge Latinate words out of the language and replace them with neologisms based on going down to the root word and then finding an Anglo-Saxon equivalent (e.g. on the Old English Wikipedia they came up with "Foresittend" for "President").

Case in point :

nativist Slovak term for radiation - žiarenie
nativist Czech term for radiation - záření
nativist Hungarian term for radiation - sugárzás

All three are in common use, despite the terms for radioactivity still being loanwords. Oh, and that last word has nothing to do with sugar, I assure you. ;)

Case in point :

nativist Slovak term for radiation - žiarenie
nativist Czech term for radiation - záření
nativist Hungarian term for radiation - sugárzás

All three are in common use, despite the terms for radioactivity still being loanwords. Oh, and that last word has nothing to do with sugar, I assure you. ;)

Incidentally, also in Finnish the term for radioactivity is a direct loan word, radioaktiivisuus.

Radiation is säteily, nuclear radiation specifically would be ydinsäteily (ydin="nucleus"). Säteilylle is "to radiation". The word is derived from säde, meaning "ray" as in a ray of light, as well as "radius", so it is a very much a nativist word modeled on the Latin term.

Thanks.

I understand there was an effort to introduce säde-derived sätiö as the word for "radio", somewhat logically, but it never got off the ground.

Very interesting ! :cool: I might use this little factoid in one of my timelines. :)

Incidentally, also in Finnish the term for radioactivity is a direct loan word, radioaktiivisuus.

Seems like this is the pattern in many European languages, with "radioactivity" generally left untranslated.

Nqf9sdn.png

A poster from my V2 AAR in which the French President, Jean Casimir-Perier, becomes a despotic and militant dictator determined to reclaim lost French territory at whatever cost. [In reality, he lasted just six months.]

This is a British poster playing on the Napoleonic threat that the French army posed.

View attachment 223307

Advertisement poster for the 2004 rebranding relaunch of the Putin Poutine ! fast food chain, popular particularly in the eastern provinces of Canada. After the 2004 relaunch, the chain renamed itself to Uncle Volodya's, to capitalize on the popularity of the company's CEO and mascot, Uncle Volodya Poutine (civilian birth name Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin).

Poutinerie Mononc' Volod in Quebec, of course

The Putin family emigrated to Canada from the Soviet Union in the late 1950s and settled down in Quebec. They eventually started doing business with their own little restaurant. While struggling at first, they took a liking to the increasingly popular, locally invented recipes - among them poutine - and decided to experiment with hybridizing them with traditional Russian recipes or ingredients.
I went to a Russian restaurant years ago. From what I remember, the food would go well together for the 10 minutes you would have left to live before the unavoidable artery explosion.

I once tried a poutine-goulash sort of thing incidently. was delicious. didn't need to eat for 3 days afterward.

As the optimistic slogan of the rebranding campaign promised, the characteristic "oh so Russian flavour... on very Quebecois poutine !" has been preserved and further improved. Uncle Volodya's is now as popular as ever...
other possible slogan:

"Un goût russe pour un plat rustique !" (a Russian taste for a rustic dish)

"Une montagne russe de goût !" (a roller-coaster ["Russian mountain in french"] of taste)

"une poutine bonne en cyrilique !" (impossible to translate pun but sounds like "a damn good poutine")

14ie90o.jpg

A propaganda poster from TL in which France is the French Syndicate of the Common Man (essentially a communist state, but a little different) and at one point was split between that and Republic of Gaul (Normandy, Brittany, Pays de la Loire, and Poitou Charentes).

After the Republic collapsed and was annexed by the Syndicate, many former Gaulish citizens would try to revolt. Eventually, many years and a century or two later, you get the rise of the Gaulish Republican Contingent (GRC), which continues to use terrorists tactics to try and 'free' the former Republic.

gaul propaganda.jpg

Outch.... "Rentrez chez, soldats français" doesn't mean nothing :confused:
I would have translated "go home french soldier" by "casse-toi sale français !" (Get lost you bloody french !"). You could also use the word "frank" which is used by breton nationalists like in this song.

Rather than "casse toi, sale francais" (that would be translated as "Go to hell, dirty frog", and far from the "US Go home" he tries to rend) it would be correct to put "Rentres chez toi, soldat français".

But if I understand it well, and that both states are french-speaking and originated, making insults as "franchimand" (les bretons n'ont pas vraiment le monopole des appellations injurieuses) seems a bit weird like spanish nationalist insulting republican for being spanish.

So the poster makes little sense to me.