WI: Ali Bonaparte - Could Napoleon have Converted to Islam?

In the name of God the Beneficent, the Merciful, there is no other God than God, he has neither son nor associate to his rule...General Bonaparte, head of the French Army, proclaims to the people of Egypt that for too long the Beys who rule Egypt insult the French nation and heap abuse on its merchants; the hour of their chastisement has come. Egyptians, some will say that I have come to destroy your religion; this is a lie, do not believe it! Tell them that I have come to restore your rights and to punish the usurpers; that I respect, more than do the Mamluks, God, his prophet Muhammad and the glorious Qur’an… we are true Muslims. Are we not the one who has destroyed the Pope who preached war against Muslims? Did we not destroy the Knights of Malta, because these fanatics believed that God wanted them to make war against the Muslims?”
--Napoleon Bonaparte, Proclamation to the Egyptians, July 1798.

Napoleon was an excellent propagandist, so while the above quote is authentic, there is absolutely no reason to believe that he was sincere. Napoleon was a Catholic by baptism, a deist privately, and despite a few speculative essays to the contrary, never converted to Islam. The nickname "Ali Bonaparte" was bestowed on him by Egyptian religious leaders, which he seems to have appreciated, but they were likely playing the same politics he was.

But my question here is: is it possible that he would have converted publicly in different circumstances? Either out of some kind of genuine religious feeling, or more likely, as an ambitious and extravagant new power play to build a personal empire in the Muslim world for himself.

There are a few obvious problems: first of all, it seems extremely unlikely that a French leader would ever be able to give up wine and pork in his army, perhaps a greater issue than any religious solidarity among the troops. Moreover, it would have been impolitic for Napoleon's ambitions back in Paris. That said, it wasn't unheard of for French dignitaries in Egypt to convert: Napoleon's general Jacques Menou married the daughter of a wealth Egyptian notable and converted to Islam.

So it's probably possible that out of a burst of personal feeling, Napoleon converts; I'm going to put that to the side for now. More likely, though, is a series of events that make a public conversion practical for him, which would mean some kind of break with Paris while Napoleon is in Egypt that would make him plan a permanent stay. The window probably goes from his July 1798 capture of Cairo, to his departure about a year later.

What might go wrong? The clearest path here would be Napoleon falling out of favor in Paris, and resisting an attempt to recall him. He was a supporter of the Coup of 18 Fructidor, which empowered the Directory against a growing Royalist tide; so we might need to imagine an anti-Directory countercoup a year later, perhaps with foreign (especially Papal) backing at the beginning of the War of the Second Coalition. In defiance, Napoleon declares some kind of independence in Egypt, or a government-in-exile, and turns revolutionary anti-clericalism to Islam. Which seems like a long shot to succeed.

The other card here might be the Ottoman Empire, an unlikely ally for Napoleon considering he had just seized Egypt from them. The web of political maneuvering here probably would have to include Tipu Sultan in Mysore, a potential ally of Napoleon and clear opponent of the British. Historically, the Brits were able to keep the Ottomans on their side, and killed Tipu Sultan in 1799. Tsar Paul in Russia was also dedicated enough to fighting the French that he was willing to ally with the Ottomans; the disruption here might be in the form of a new Russo-Turkish war preventing such an alliance, and with Britain siding with Russia, Napoleon finding a way to establish an Ottoman alliance.

Everything here feels like a longshot, but not QUITE outside the realm of possibility. Any thoughts?

According to Wikipedia, Napoleon requested to go to Constantinople because his career in France hit a roadblock after the siege of Toulon. Then the 13 Vendémiaire coup attempt happened and, well, the rest is history.

Delay the royalist coup or keep it from happening somehow, and Bonaparte will likely become a soldier in the service of the reformist Ottoman sultan Selim III. Given his political and military savvy I wouldn't be surprised if the man is appointed to the post of Grand Vizier in a few years if everything goes right for him - the Janissaries need to be dealt with ASAP, though, probably with a whiff of grapeshot.

Converting to Islam would be a necessity for him to climb the Sublime Porte's political ladder, and given his ambition I'm sure he would've done so.

According to Wikipedia, Napoleon requested to go to Constantinople because his career in France hit a roadblock after the siege of Toulon. Then the 13 Vendémiaire coup attempt happened and, well, the rest is history.

Delay the royalist coup or keep it from happening somehow, and Bonaparte will likely become a soldier in the service of the reformist Ottoman sultan Selim III. Given his political and military savvy I wouldn't be surprised if the man is appointed to the post of Grand Vizier in a few years if everything goes right for him - the Janissaries need to be dealt with ASAP, though, probably with a whiff of grapeshot.

Converting to Islam would be a necessity for him to climb the Sublime Porte's political ladder, and given his ambition I'm sure he would've done so.
Yeah he was literally a day before signing the official papers when the uprising that cemented his rise happened.

There is also the chance that Selim III marries an ottoman princess to Napoleon in that scenario. The sultans liked to control their viziers by marrying them into the family by actually making the viziers attached to the bride rather than the whirlwind marriages of the time.

Osman Aga

Banned
--Napoleon Bonaparte, Proclamation to the Egyptians, July 1798.

Napoleon was an excellent propagandist, so while the above quote is authentic, there is absolutely no reason to believe that he was sincere. Napoleon was a Catholic by baptism, a deist privately, and despite a few speculative essays to the contrary, never converted to Islam. The nickname "Ali Bonaparte" was bestowed on him by Egyptian religious leaders, which he seems to have appreciated, but they were likely playing the same politics he was.

But my question here is: is it possible that he would have converted publicly in different circumstances? Either out of some kind of genuine religious feeling, or more likely, as an ambitious and extravagant new power play to build a personal empire in the Muslim world for himself.

There are a few obvious problems: first of all, it seems extremely unlikely that a French leader would ever be able to give up wine and pork in his army, perhaps a greater issue than any religious solidarity among the troops. Moreover, it would have been impolitic for Napoleon's ambitions back in Paris. That said, it wasn't unheard of for French dignitaries in Egypt to convert: Napoleon's general Jacques Menou married the daughter of a wealth Egyptian notable and converted to Islam.

So it's probably possible that out of a burst of personal feeling, Napoleon converts; I'm going to put that to the side for now. More likely, though, is a series of events that make a public conversion practical for him, which would mean some kind of break with Paris while Napoleon is in Egypt that would make him plan a permanent stay. The window probably goes from his July 1798 capture of Cairo, to his departure about a year later.

What might go wrong? The clearest path here would be Napoleon falling out of favor in Paris, and resisting an attempt to recall him. He was a supporter of the Coup of 18 Fructidor, which empowered the Directory against a growing Royalist tide; so we might need to imagine an anti-Directory countercoup a year later, perhaps with foreign (especially Papal) backing at the beginning of the War of the Second Coalition. In defiance, Napoleon declares some kind of independence in Egypt, or a government-in-exile, and turns revolutionary anti-clericalism to Islam. Which seems like a long shot to succeed.

The other card here might be the Ottoman Empire, an unlikely ally for Napoleon considering he had just seized Egypt from them. The web of political maneuvering here probably would have to include Tipu Sultan in Mysore, a potential ally of Napoleon and clear opponent of the British. Historically, the Brits were able to keep the Ottomans on their side, and killed Tipu Sultan in 1799. Tsar Paul in Russia was also dedicated enough to fighting the French that he was willing to ally with the Ottomans; the disruption here might be in the form of a new Russo-Turkish war preventing such an alliance, and with Britain siding with Russia, Napoleon finding a way to establish an Ottoman alliance.

Everything here feels like a longshot, but not QUITE outside the realm of possibility. Any thoughts?

Theoretically speaking, yes. But in his circumstances? Unlikely. It will have effects at home being a Muslim, and considering Napoleon I do think he wanted to return to France at some point. Revolutionary France or not, a former Catholic that converted to Islam is not going to be taken lightly. Converting in 1798, AFTER conquering Egypt isn't going to make him any more loved in the Ottoman Empire than for example Mehmed Ali Pasha or Ali Tepelene. He will be used to deal with the circumstances and problems. Which will be solved if Napoleon becomes Muslim and probably appointed as governor of Egypt. The risk is that there is a French-Corsican convert in the seat of governor in Egypt, and he likely feels loyal to France. If given time, Napoleon can form an Egyptian Army, along with his French Army and disregard the Ottoman Sultan, creating a bigger problem in the future. A Mehmed Ali Pasha but 25-30 years earlier. If the Ottomans want to avoid this and ally France for whatever reason, they risk to face an Anglo-Russian Alliance in Rumelia and the Aegean.

There is a better PoD... Napoleon leaves for Constantinople around 1795. I don't know exactly what year, but it was before the Egyptian expedition and he wanted to go to Constantinople. If he goes to Constantinople in the midst of the Nizam-I Cedid Reforms and manages to get in favor of Selim III, by defeating Osman Pazvantoglu in Vidin, he may grow. If he wants to grow, he needs to convert, otherwise he will remain nothing more than an officer who was sent to reform an artillery brigade like previous officers. If his odds are even more favorable, the Sultan may marry him to his niece Esma Sultan (assuming that she avoids getting married in 1792 or Nappy is groom no.2 in 1803). If Nappy does even better he may even become Grand Vizier one day.

If Nappy does even better he may even become Grand Vizier one day
.... Could we delay the ottomans 1808 near brush with extinction in the male line so that the dynasty goes extinct at a time when Damad Napoleon Pasha is already grand vizier, and manages to get himself proclaimed emperor?

Theoretically speaking, yes. But in his circumstances? Unlikely. It will have effects at home being a Muslim, and considering Napoleon I do think he wanted to return to France at some point. Revolutionary France or not, a former Catholic that converted to Islam is not going to be taken lightly. Converting in 1798, AFTER conquering Egypt isn't going to make him any more loved in the Ottoman Empire than for example Mehmed Ali Pasha or Ali Tepelene. He will be used to deal with the circumstances and problems. Which will be solved if Napoleon becomes Muslim and probably appointed as governor of Egypt. The risk is that there is a French-Corsican convert in the seat of governor in Egypt, and he likely feels loyal to France. If given time, Napoleon can form an Egyptian Army, along with his French Army and disregard the Ottoman Sultan, creating a bigger problem in the future. A Mehmed Ali Pasha but 25-30 years earlier. If the Ottomans want to avoid this and ally France for whatever reason, they risk to face an Anglo-Russian Alliance in Rumelia and the Aegean.

Yeah - I don't think there's a remotely plausible scenario where Napoleon converts, returns to France as a Muslim, and takes over the government as emperor. He might be able to fast-talk various degrees of pseudo-conversion, or do something weirder and come up with some kind of syncretic Islamophilic version of the Cult of the Supreme Being or whatever, but I think even that stuff is pretty far down the road.

I'm not quite sure if I can cook together a sequence of events that makes the Ottomans very eager to ally with France, AND put up with a rebellious French protectorate in Egypt that's looking to cut ties with Paris. Is there some kind of semi-royalist French regime in 1798-99 that would alienate Napoleon but only divide the Coalition? Split Britain and Russia?

There is a better PoD... Napoleon leaves for Constantinople around 1795. I don't know exactly what year, but it was before the Egyptian expedition and he wanted to go to Constantinople. If he goes to Constantinople in the midst of the Nizam-I Cedid Reforms and manages to get in favor of Selim III, by defeating Osman Pazvantoglu in Vidin, he may grow. If he wants to grow, he needs to convert, otherwise he will remain nothing more than an officer who was sent to reform an artillery brigade like previous officers. If his odds are even more favorable, the Sultan may marry him to his niece Esma Sultan (assuming that she avoids getting married in 1792 or Nappy is groom no.2 in 1803). If Nappy does even better he may even become Grand Vizier one day.
1795 is early, so it would be a very different story for Napoleon (and France!) but it's possible. He was only 26 then, though had been promoted to brigadier general before that and was already a somewhat prominent figure. He's ambitious enough to do what he had to in order to rise in the Ottoman ranks, especially if he doesn't see much of a future for himself in France.

Which may match up here - Menou (later a Muslim convert himself) had failed to hold off the royalists and was fired in favor of Barras, Napoleon's early patron. It doesn't seem impossible that the coup attempt would have succeeded without Napoleon and his artillery. If the Bourbons are restored in 1795, Napoleon probably will not have a home to go to in France, or, for that matter, in Corsica, which at the moment was nominally a territory ruled by George III (as King of Corsica)

.... Could we delay the ottomans 1808 near brush with extinction in the male line so that the dynasty goes extinct at a time when Damad Napoleon Pasha is already grand vizier, and manages to get himself proclaimed emperor?

One thing at a time! I think we need to get some kind of a career trajectory in the Empire first; he'll have to have his glorious victories sometime. It's hard to figure out what the Ottomans' big engagements will be if we pull the later Wars of the French Revolution from the table.

One thing at a time! I think we need to get some kind of a career trajectory in the Empire first; he'll have to have his glorious victories sometime. It's hard to figure out what the Ottomans' big engagements will be if we pull the later Wars of the French Revolution from the table.
Napoleon could get his victories during the central government's war against the ayans. If he plays an important part in defeating Pazvantoglu in Vidin and Ali Pasha in Yanina, a path for future promotions could be opened. Thing is, this would avert the coup that deposed and killed Selim.

Not to knock the OP, which is thoroughly and thoughtfully written, but this scenario seems to have be en vogue recently with sadly few responses:

There was a timeline attempt at that a few years back:

Not to knock the OP, which is thoroughly and thoughtfully written, but this scenario seems to have be en vogue recently with sadly few responses:

There was a timeline attempt at that a few years back:

Yeah I saw it, too bad it didn't go very far.

Why did Napoleon have to invade Egypt to get to India in the first place? Couldn't he have negotiated with the Ottomans to permit passage?

Why did Napoleon have to invade Egypt to get to India in the first place? Couldn't he have negotiated with the Ottomans to permit passage?
The entire plan was pure insanity, especially since Tipu Sultan (the guy the French intended to help) was well past his prime after the Third Anglo-Mysore War.

He could have if he felt his ability to climb power in France was limited or that the directorate acted or will act against him. He had enough men and their loyalty to secure Egypt as his personal domain. Conversion would have to happen to avoid revolts and cement his rule. Probably followed by his officers and some of his men who seek to climb the ladder. Egypt is well populated and can serve as a basis for a powerful middle eastern state.

The entire plan was pure insanity, especially since Tipu Sultan (the guy the French intended to help) was well past his prime after the Third Anglo-Mysore War.

It sounds like Napoleon wasn't the first Frenchman to think of attacking Egypt, but maybe he came up with the Tipu Sultan bit:

The notion of annexing Egypt as a French colony had been under discussion since François Baron de Tott undertook a secret mission to the Levant in 1777 to determine its feasibility.[1] Baron de Tott's report was favorable, but no immediate action was taken.[1] Nevertheless, Egypt became a topic of debate between Talleyrand and Napoleon, which continued in their correspondence during Napoleon's Italian campaign.[1] In early 1798, Bonaparte proposed a military expedition to seize Egypt. In a letter to the Directory, he suggested this would protect French trade interests, attack British commerce, and undermine Britain's access to India and the East Indies, since Egypt was well-placed on the trade routes to these places.[citation needed] Bonaparte wished to establish a French presence in the Middle East, with the ultimate dream of linking with France's ally Tipu Sultan, ruler of Mysore in India.

I really want to see more Napoleonic timelines where he does crazy shit like this or invade Ireland and so on. I don't get how he got away with these ASB blue sky ideas. Is this just what happens when you have a popular general in charge? Is this what happens when they get to play act at being Alexander the Great? We need more examples of pure insanity in history being promoted from the top, and succeeding part way.

Establish a new Kingdom of Jerusalem, Napoleon Emperor of the Franks. Actually could he have attacked the Levant in addition to/instead of Egypt or is that completely logistically unfeasible?

Either way, there needs to be more timelines where Tippu Sultan and Mysore succeeds in remaining free.

Yeah, and I'm not sure that his plan was ever sincerely to march to India, but a kind of pipe dream that he floated as inspirational (to some), and disinformation (to others).

Which may match up here - Menou (later a Muslim convert himself) had failed to hold off the royalists and was fired in favor of Barras, Napoleon's early patron. It doesn't seem impossible that the coup attempt would have succeeded without Napoleon and his artillery. If the Bourbons are restored in 1795, Napoleon probably will not have a home to go to in France, or, for that matter, in Corsica, which at the moment was nominally a territory ruled by George III (as King of Corsica)
Could a republican general (Masséna or someone else) march back to Paris before the royalists consolidate their control over the city?

On a different take, I wonder if it's possible that there's some kind of secret conversion to a (likely highly specialized) version of Islam that happens, and that Napoleon comes back to France setting up a secret society of French Muslims, in a sort of spin on what Guenon would do a century later.

On a different take, I wonder if it's possible that there's some kind of secret conversion to a (likely highly specialized) version of Islam that happens, and that Napoleon comes back to France setting up a secret society of French Muslims, in a sort of spin on what Guenon would do a century later.

Osman Aga

Banned

Some requirements:
1. Marriage with an Ottoman Princess (Esma Sultan?)
2. Loyalty of the Janissaries secured (or taken out of the picture)
3. Military Force that can subjugate anything beyond Istanbul and Uskudar (Eastern Balkans + Anatalia)

The delay can be as late as 1815, as long as Selim III was on the throne and Mustafa is replaced without a son and both him and Mahmud die around the same time.