Aust war with hostile Euro powers late 19th C

Could anybody design a POD where the Aust colonies are compelled to repel an invasion in the late 19th C by a hostile European power to Britain, such as the French, Germans or Russians ? Would such a war have been feasible ? What about in the aftermath of the Crimean War, or during Qld's dispute with Germany over New Guinea ?

(all these Aust federation posts are associated with my relief teaching a Yr 10 class on this topic for their major assignment)

Well if something did start, all I could see was QLD's concerns with Germany in New Guinea. But the Australian colonies at this point in time had little control over foreign affairs or the military for that matter. Britain controlled these aspects, although there was some local input. Leaving that aside, though, Australia just didn't have the military resources to conduct any major war with anyone. It was capible of supplying some troops to British wars, such as the Boer War, but nothing great akin to combat with a major European power as suggested. Furthermore we didn't even have a decent navy until 1913 as we were depended upon the RN for such things. Hence a lot has to change in the OTL going all the way back to 1788, including our population size not to mention a much larger industrial base akin to a European country.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
This is a question I meant to ask on another thread, but it died and I never got the chance

As the Governor General is effective head of state (standing in for the Queen) who has control of the military ? I was going to ask this with reference to the Australian Federation, and whether if Australia decided to defy Britain and not withdraw troops or to send troops where Britain did not want them, could the Governor General over-rule the Prime Minister ?

And, in the individual colonies before the federation, was the Governor General's power greater than with the Federation ? Did each colony have an elected parliament and a Prime Minister, and how much devolved power belonged to them as opposed to residing with the GG ?

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
As the Governor General is effective head of state (standing in for the Queen) who has control of the military ? I was going to ask this with reference to the Australian Federation, and whether if Australia decided to defy Britain and not withdraw troops or to send troops where Britain did not want them, could the Governor General over-rule the Prime Minister ?

And, in the individual colonies before the federation, was the Governor General's power greater than with the Federation ? Did each colony have an elected parliament and a Prime Minister, and how much devolved power belonged to them as opposed to residing with the GG ?

Under the current Australian 1901 Constitution it's exactly the same as at Westminister. In other words, Parliament controls the expenses whilst the PM advises the Monarch even though the Monarch is "commander in chief" as they say. It's the same here where the PM advises the Governor General. Now the G-G can reject advice (just like the Crown), but the G-G can't make any independent decisions (the Dismissal in 1975 being the exception & I'd argue it was unconstitutional, but that's another story).

The colonies had a Governor only, no G-G. The Governor's powers varied from colony to colony & if/when each colony gained "self government". Again these dates vary. But come self govt, yes we got elected parliaments & a Premier (not a PM - that came with federation). The power of the Governor's in self government colonies was based on the Westminster system where the Premier advised the Governor. Elsewhere the Governor was basically a dictator.